Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Science Fair ❯ The Big Discovery ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Let's see who wins…

Chapter 4: The Big Discovery

It was the next day, and it was time for the science fair. Everyone rushed to the park, and found a huge crowd of people, news reporters, and projects all over the place. Tails and Billy found their booths, which were right next to each other, and set up their displays. Each booth was the size of a small room, and some of the projects filled the entire space. The rest of the crew spread out across the fair, looking at various projects. Metal-2 was mistaken for a project not once, but three times.

Tails: Are you ready, Billy?

Billy: Very much so.

Tails: Good luck, and may the best project win!

Billy: Luck has nothing to do with it.

Tails: Whatever you say.

Everyone began to quiet down as the owner of the company that sponsored the fair walked up on a stage that was nearby. He was wearing the same stuff as he had on the news the day before. Mr. Trokobin stood behind a podium with a microphone as he made his announcement.

Mr. Trokobin: Welcome, one and all to the first MacSnacky company annual science fair. The judges will be going around to the various booths, so I must ask that all entrants stay with their projects. I myself we be going around, looking at the best ones.

He stepped down off the stage as several tall people in trench coats with hidden faces began to walk around and judge the projects.

Tails: Something's fishy here…

Billy: Yes, I believe that something is not as it seems. Perhaps we should employ caution.

Tails: Yeah, I think we should.

One of the judges came up to Billy's booth. It spoke in an odd electronic voice as it asked him various questions. Billy and Tails both noticed the oddity of this, but pretended not to. The judge then walked over Tails and began questioning him. The rest of the crew was nowhere to be found, since they were in different areas of the fair. Scotty and Sonya were looking very closely at a project that involved lasers.

Scotty: This project is very interesting…Just what exactly did you do?

A very nerdy person that owned the project answered him in a high, nasally voice.

Nerd: Well, sir, I used this laser to create three-dimensional pictures on these pieces of glass.

Scotty: I see. You know, I have a laser, too.

Nerd: Really? May I see it, sir?

Scotty: I guess, but only for a minute.

He took out his emerald sword, and activated it. The nerd jumped back, amazed at it.

Nerd: Please, sir, may I hold it?

Scotty: I'm afraid not. You must see with your eyes, not with your hands.

He turned the sword off, and returned it to his belt. On the other side of the fair, Metal-2 was getting some strange readings as he scanned one of the judges.

Metal-2: <thinking> It would seem that this judge is a robot…Odd, but it is not uncommon for big companies to use them in this day and age…Wait a minute! I'm picking up a signature of a weapon!

As the judge in a different area finished questioning Tails, Mr. Trokobin walked up to both of their projects.

Mr. Trokobin: Ah, I see that two of this city's heroes have entered my fair…Excellent…

Tails: Yeah, we're here. So, what do you think of our projects?

Mr. Trokobin: Well, they don't seem to have any military purpose…

Billy: Neither of us wished to build a weapon…Mr. Trokobin, what interest does a snack-food company such as yours have in destructive equipment?

Mr. Trokobin: None, I assure you. It was just a comment…

Several more judges walked up, surrounding the two booths.

Mr. Trokobin: I, however, do like weapons…

Billy and Tails both became nervous as he said this.

Tails: What do you mean?

Mr. Trokobin: I was wondering if you two would like to create weapons for me…

Billy: I'm afraid not, sir.

Mr. Trokobin: I figured you'd say that. Judges, why don't you help me convince them…

The judges walked in and grabbed Billy and Tails. A nearby crowd of people saw this, and panicked.

Tails: What are you doing?! Put me down!

Mr. Trokobin: You're stupid! Do you want another put-down?

Billy: I do not believe that that is what he meant!

Mr. Trokobin: It doesn't matter…You two are going to work for me whether you like it or not!! Take them away, judges!

The judges' trench coats tore and burned as the robots activated their jet engines and flew away, carrying Billy and Tails. The crowd of people was screaming, and this attracted Scotty and the others, who arrived just in time to see their friends carried off.

Scotty: What are you doing to them, Trokobin?!

Mr. Trokobin: Hahahahhahahhaaaa! I cannot believe you fell for it!

A familiar theme song began to play over the speakers as Mr. Trokobin threw off his coat and hat to show his true identity.

Sonic: ROBOTNIK!!!

Robotnik: That's right, hedgehog! I've got your friends, and they're going to tell me how to beat all of you!! AH-hahahhahhahaaa!!!

His flying saucer flew up to him and he jumped in. The scientist continued laughing as he flew away, following the robots.

Sonic: TAILS!!!

Knuckles: BILLY!!!

Scotty: What do we do now?!

Shadow: We need to follow him! If we lose him, then we might never find our friends!

Amy: But how?

Metal-2: Get back to the base! I will transmit the location of his lair when I find it!

Metal-2 took off after Robotnik as the others made their way through the crowd to get back to the base. Metal-2 quickly caught up with Robotnik, but he was ready for him. A large laser extended from the bottom of his saucer, and began firing.

Robotnik: I knew you'd come after me, you reject!

Metal-2: I cannot let you get away!

Metal flew all over the place, dodging the shots. He returned fire with his shoulder-mounted lasers, aiming for the gun on Robotnik's ship.

Robotnik: You dare to fight me?! Very well, I will destroy you!

Metal-2: You are welcome to try!

They shot at each other as they flew high in the clouds. Eventually, Metal-2 got enough hits in on Robotnik's laser to destroy it, but his ship was still flying.

Robotnik: No!! Curse you, you mistake!!

Having no alternative, Robotnik sped up as he followed his robots back to the base. Metal-2 easily kept up with them. When they landed, the robots carried Billy and Tails into another room while Robotnik distracted Metal-2 by jumping into a tank and firing at him.

Metal-2: You cannot destroy me!

Robotnik: And you can't destroy me!

They continued to fire at each other until Metal-2 got close enough to flip the tank over. Robotnik jumped back into his ship and flew into the same room that Billy and Tails had been carried into several minutes earlier. Two heavy steel doors closed behind him.

Metal-2: Argh! He got away! <sigh> All right, now I must give the others the location of this base.

He transmitted a signal to the base, and they followed it until they reached Robotnik's lair.

Scotty: Metal! Are you okay?

Metal-2: I'm fine, but Tails and Billy are in serious danger!

Sonic: Where are they?

Metal-2: <pointing> They are in that room there. I seem to be incapable of penetrating the doors.

Scotty walked up, and felt the door. He noticed all of the dents and holes that were in it.

Scotty: Not for lack of trying, apparently.

Knuckles: Great, so now what do we do?

Scotty: I have an idea!

He took out his sword, and used it to melt part of the door. The molten steel oozed down to the ground, and Scotty had to watch where his feet went. Eventually, he cut a circular shape into it. The passage was still blocked however.

Scotty: Okay, I cut a chunk away. Metal, do you think you can move it so we can go through?

Metal-2: I am certain.

The powerful robot walked up to it, and slowly pushed the chunk into the next room. Eventually, there was enough space for everyone to pass through, so they did. What they found, however, was not good.

Robotnik: Hahahahhaahaaa!! I knew it would only be a matter of time before you got here, but you're too late!

Sonic: What do you mean?!

Robotnik: Why don't you take a look for yourself!

He pressed a button on a console that he was behind, and two robots walked up to Sonic and the others. They were very familiar. A chilly feeling came over them all as they realized whom the robots were.

Scotty: Billy! Tails! What have you done to them?!

Robotnik: What I do best! They have been roboticized!!!

All: NNNOOOOO!!!!!!!

Robotnik: HHAAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Sonic: Turn them back right now!!!

Robotnik: Oh, I don't think I will. The procedure is quite reversible, but only I know how. You see, now, I have all of their intelligence with none of their attitude!

Knuckles: You monster! I swear, when I get my hands on you, I'll-

Robotnik: Nah-ah-ah! If you want them returned to normal, you'd better not lay a finger on me!

Knuckles: Oh, I'll do more than that!

Sonic: Hold on, Knuckles! What do you want, Robotnik?

Robotnik: I have everything I need already. You see, there's no way I'm going to turn them back!

Shadow: Is that so? I beg to differ.

Robotnik: Enough talk! Tails, Billy! Destroy them!

Tails: Yes sir!

Billy: Right away!

The two roboticized heroes ran toward their friends, and attacked.

Sonic: Tails! What are you doing?! We're friends, remember?!

Tails: Negative. I will destroy you!

Knuckles: Billy, you have to stop this!

Billy: Make me!

They both attacked again, and their friends dodged. Then, Metal-2 had an idea. He grabbed them both, and held them high in the air.

Metal-2: Turn them back or I will destroy them myself!

Sonic: Metal, NO!

Robotnik: I don't think so! They are your friends, remember?

Metal-2: I was designed to destroy, remember?

Robotnik: Ehh…Well, you still won't do it! Not to them, anyway!

Metal-2: Try me!

Robotnik: Okay, fine! Destroy them, and see if still have any friends!

Metal-2: Alright, then!

Scotty: Stop it, Metal!

Knuckles: You can't do this!

Metal-2: I can and I will.

The robot raised them both away from each other, and rushed them toward each other. Just before they were slammed together, he stopped because of Robotnik.

Robotnik: Wait!! Okay, I get it! Obviously, you know that I need them just as much as you do! I'll make you a deal!

Scotty: No deals! Turn them back now!!

Robotnik: …Well, I have gotten this far without them, so maybe I should let them be destroyed…

Sonic: No way! What's your deal?

Robotnik: Ha! I knew you'd come around! I'll turn one of them back, and let you have him. The other one will belong to me!!

Ooh, hard choice! What do they decide? Stay tuned!