Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ The Order of Membrance ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PROLOGUE
"Soniiic!! Wait...up!" Amy Rose gasped for breath as she chased the named blue hedgehog; her longtime love and subject of admiration.  She had finally gotten sight of him less than an hour before outside a chili dog stand, but he bolted the second he heard her voice.  At the moment she was a few feet behind him, running as fast as she could to keep up with him, and her strength was beginning to fail.

"Can't you stop just for a second? I just wanna talk!" she pleaded, breathless.

"Yeah, I know! Among other things," he replied crisply, not looking back.

"Ugh! You are so stubborn!  Why can't you give my love a chance!?"

"Why can't you find something else to do other than hunt me down all the time?"

"I wouldn't have to if you would just stop and take some time to--"

"I'll pass, thanks!"

"Sonic, c'mon!  Don't you like me at all?"

It was strange to him that at that one comment--that one question--finally expended his last ounce of patience.  Abruptly he started to slow down, and stopped.  Amy in following collapsed to the ground, gasping.  She hadn't expected him to just quit running, but she certainly wasn't complaining.

He gave her a minute to catch her breath.  When she finally stood up, he turned and walked toward her, halting two feet away from her.  At first she was excited that he would finally listen to her, but a feeling of nervousness came over her after noticing the emotionless, rather final look in his eyes.

"Amy."

"Y-yeah?" she stammered, smiling slightly.

"Look.  We've been friends for years.  You're smart, you're strong, you're brave, and cute, too.  But you need to understand that I don't want any kind of attachment like the ones you want.  It's not me, it's not who I am.  What's most precious to me is my freedom, and I won't give it up for anything.  You need to understand that."

"Oh, you're making it sound more serious than it is, Sonic," Amy pressed, a little scared at what he was saying.

"Well you haven't exactly been making it sound easy."

"Hey it's not like I'm asking you to marry me or anything!"  A twitch came to his eye and Amy hesitated, holding a hand to her mouth.  

"Oh yeah, right..."

It was then that Sonic sighed.  Amy didn't like the sound of it any more than she liked the meaning behind his words.  His sigh spoke of impatience, annoyment, and a kind of change that would most likely be dreadful to her.  "Sonic...?"

"This needs to end, Amy.  The chasing, the pining, the threatening with the hammer, everything.  If you can't, then...I guess we can't be friends anymore."

Silence.

All the air that Amy had took in had slowly started to rush out of her as his words sunk in.  It was as if he had snatched the ground from beneath her feet, suspending her in space, left to drift away to nowhere.  Normally she would have brushed off his unwillingness, confident that sooner or later he would come around, and keep going.  Yet as she listened to the meaning behind his speech, she realized just how selfish she had been.  All she ever thought about was how happy she would be with Sonic--her happiness.  Not his.  It was never his.  And she had never taken that into consideration, for his sake.

She suddenly wished that she could undo all the years she spent--wasted--literally chasing after his heart.  Desolation settled over her like a storm, and she turned her gaze downwards, staring at her boots.

"...Alright, I understand," she finally said.

Sonic was glad to hear it, and yet he was surprised that she would actually give in.  There were tears in her voice, yet her eyes were dry.

"Really?"

"Yes..."

"Thank you," Sonic smiled slightly, relieved that, at long last, the romantic pursuits would end.  "And we can still stay friends, you know--"

"No."

"What?"

Her eyes were still lowered, yet her voice suddenly commanded an authorative tone that he'd never before heard her use.  Needless to say, it startled him.  But when she finally raised her gaze to his, he was shocked further.

He had expected her to be angry.  Confused.  Even sarcastic.  And of course, sad.  Which she did look when she looked back at him.  But he also saw a powerful realization behind her peridot gaze that proved to him that she did understand his wishes.  But her eyes also shone with something that he never in his wildest dreams thought she would feel.

Shame.

"I understand.  I do now.  I'm sorry, Sonic."  She looked at him with a compassion he never knew she had.  "I guess I've only been thinking about myself all these years.  I already knew that you preferred to be free, to have your own life, and I thought that if I could change that, then we would really be meant to be together.  I see now that it can never be; it was never meant to be."

She took a deep breath before continuing, trying her best not to cry.  "I've been so childish all this time.  I never considered your feelings.  It's time I grew up."  With some strength, she gave him a small smile to try and hide her broken heart.

"It's weird that I still love you...and I'm pretty sure that I always will love you--"  He cringed slightly at that-- "but I know that love is real now that I realize I have to let you go.  So...this is goodbye."

"Amy--"

He didn't get to finish his statement as he saw her flinch at the first tears that escaped her eyes, and instantly run away.

She never looked back.







Converting /tmp/phpv5CY8H to /dev/stdout