Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ A Brother's Love ❯ 13 - A Brother's Love ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

~Chapter 13~
 
 
 
Outside the house, on the gravel path that separated the house and it's gardens, Marron stood.
 
Or at least, Aboros stood, with Marron within him. He seemed quiet enough, standing there, quietly watching something in the middle distance... inside his body, the battle raged.
 
To Marron himself, all he could see and feel was the darkness. Aboros' voice spoke to him, but that was all; he was trapped.
 
"They're coming, Marron. I can feel it."
 
"... Coming?"
 
"Yes. That brother of yours, your friends, those Sorcerer Hunters... they're on their way to try and rescue you. Isn't it unfortunate that they'll never, ever find you? They'll find your body, but encounter only myself. I'll let you watch as I kill them."
 
Aboros felt Marron's anger simmering; a smirk overtook Marron's outer features, those controlled by Aboros.
 
"Doesn't that make you angry? See, I'll show you."
 
From within, Marron could now see Aboros' view; he could see the gardens in front.
 
"You bastard... you BASTARD! You... you won't kill my brother, though... my brother is strong, so are the others, he-"
 
"He has the power of the God of Destruction within him, doesn't he? I should like that power, yet I am hopeless to even attempt unleashing it, I'm sure... after all, I've seen in your mind what happened to the last person to attempt such a thing. In any case I think there's some degree of satisfaction to be had from destroying he who carries Hakaishin within him... haha, I almost sound like Radish, don't I? Because I can't have that power, or that person, I should rather destroy it, or him. Even so."
 
He let out a lusty sigh.
 
"Marron, can't you feel that energy, though? The magic that gathers here... Celery and Radish were fools to do what they did, but they can't have known the implications of their actions. If they wanted to gather magic then all be to them, if only they had the power to control such magic... ah, but they are just the kind of Sorcerers I'd wish to vanquish. Those who either think too much of their own pitiful power, such as Radish, or those who can't see their own power, like Celery. He'd much rather mope about his tragic loss than MAKE something of his life... I shall use his power to my advantage."
 
"His power?"
 
"Indeed. He won't survive too much longer. How long do you think you could stay in the same building as your beloved brother's dead body before you went mad?"
 
Silence from Marron; Aboros could still feel his anger.
 
He diverted the conversation slightly.
 
"Perhaps I should let you speak to your brother before I kill him; I cannot kill you, for to kill you would be to kill myself, and that would be stupid. I don't wish to hear you whine in my ear for the rest of eternity, mosquito. I'll let you tell him you love him before he dies at your very hand, hm?"
 
Marron felt hopeless; he couldn't do anything against that which occupied his body, except for talk against it... there was nothing he could do.
 
"I hate you..."
"I don't doubt that. This'll be so sweetly ironic, though... you, who said he'd rather die than hurt he closest to you... and you're the one who'll end up killing him. At least he'll die at your own fair hand, right? I believe that was Celery's motive..."
 
There was a slight change in the atmosphere, all of a sudden; Aboros felt it more keenly than Marron did, hidden inside his body as he was, but that which Aboros felt, he could also feel.
 
"What was that?"
 
Aboros glanced around; indeed, the pallor of the sky seemed to have changed a fraction. He nodded to himself.
 
"They're almost here, Marron. It would seem that some kind of barrier is in place... to contain or to close out, though? I can't decide... I've felt something here since early this morning, but... it grew stronger then, just for a moment..."
 
There was a red flash; suddenly, the four Sorcerer Hunters appeared on the lawn. Aboros smirked.
 
"... but no matter. Come, Marron. Let's go to battle."
 
From inside the house, Celery watched. Still he held the dagger in his hand, still he felt hopeless. He saw the Sorcerer Hunters... he supposed that some kind of battle would take place. What did that matter? Radish was dead, and somehow this was all Celery's own fault... maybe for just a little longer he'd wait, then... well, whatever. It didn't matter.
 
Aboros approached the Sorcerer Hunters, standing a few meters away from them. He smirked at them all, and noted their confusion at his smirk. Carrot frowned, looking his brother's body in the eye, trying to work out what'd happened...
 
"... Marron?"
 
Aboros spoke out loud to the Sorcerer Hunters.
 
"You won't find your brother here anymore, Carrot. That goes for the rest of you also..."
 
Gateau's fists were already clenched, "What's the deal with that voice? What the hell's going on?!"
 
Aboros swept Marron's hair back, smiling almost sweetly.
 
"Ah, he who was in love with my pretty host. You have taste. As for what's happening...? I've taken this person's body, for I am finally free. He who sealed his soul away with the magic he created... the magic won't die and neither will I. The magic in this atmosphere, that which floats above this humble abode... perhaps I can call on it myself? Let's find out."
 
He raised his arm, rising from the ground slowly as he chanted some kind of quiet spell. The others watched; Gateau and Carrot stared hopelessly at Aboros, unable to believe that, again, Marron seemed lost to them... Chocolat grabbed Carrot's arm quickly.
 
"Darling, you should be careful... if he hits you with magic..."
 
Carrot became determined suddenly.
 
"If he hits me with magic, I'll transform, and I'll kick his ass!"
 
Aboros' voice spoke to Carrot's mind.
 
"You'd do that? You'd attack someone with your brother's body, with everything about him...? He is here, Carrot. He's here, but he's hidden. And you won't get him back. However... I should like to talk with you for just a little longer, so..."
 
His hand glowed; he pointed one finger at Carrot, who was suddenly surrounded by some kind of bright light. Chocolat pulled her hand away from the barrier, "W-What?!"
 
"I don't wish to hurt him just yet. You, on the other hand... enzare karanen tukala re KA!!!"
 
White light flowed from somewhere up in the sky down to Aboros' hand, then flowed forward, hitting three out of the four Sorcerer Hunters; whatever Aboros had done around Carrot managed to protect him from the magical beams.
 
Chocolat, Tira and Gateau cried out as they flew back with the force of the blast; Carrot turned around, "GUYS! GUYS, ARE YOU OKAY!?"
 
For a moment they were motionless, and Carrot had a moment of pure fear, but then Chocolat sat up, shaking her head slowly. She looked up at Marron's form through halflidded eyes, holding her wire with menace.
 
"You stole Marron's body... and you dare to attack us? I don't wish to do this to Marron, who has been a close friend of mine since childhood... but you who took his body... you who acts like this... I cannot FORGIVE! HAAAH!"
 
Chocolat threw her hand forward, her wire flying in Aboros' direction; he just laughed, waving his glowing hand around to his front, the wire hitting against the magic stream, deflected.
 
"This magic is mine, that which flows around us is mine... there is magic all around us in this atmosphere, Chocolat! I can bend the very atmosphere of this world to my will... a being borne of magic taken form as a human... I'm stronger than you, stronger than any of you, you can never hope to defeat me!"
 
He gathered his hands together, the light glowing between his hands.
 
"I just wish to play with you, play with he inside me..."
 
Tira frowned, leaping to a standing position, making sure Gateau, to her side, was also safe. She stared up at Marron's form, "What do you mean, he inside you?"
 
"Marron's heart still beats within me, and his soul still resides within my mind, albeit as a... recessive gene, if you will. He can see what I'm doing, he can feel what my body feels, but he cannot speak other than to my mind, he can only watch as I do what I do... I'll enjoy killing you while hearing his pained cries within me... as I was repressed, I shall now repress! To control the Parsoners I could never control while I lived... to kill the Sorcerers who were supposed to be my kinsmen, those who betrayed me... on this world, I shall have my revenge, as well as my dominion... all those years spent sealed away behind momentarily stronger magic... this form will bring doom to everybody who sees it, I shall make it SO!"
 
He aimed another magic blast towards Tira and Gateau's direction; they jumped in time, leaping over to the other side of Carrot, behind his barrier.
 
Carrot watched with his hands clenched against the barrier.
 
"SHIT... why isn't this working?! This is a magic barrier, isn't it?! How come I can't... how come I'm not transforming?!"
 
Aboros smirked at Carrot.
 
"I believe it's only attack magic that awakens the Aranju within your body, Carrot. I doubt you'd find many who'd advocate the use of barriers for their attack qualities... however, if I did want to attack you... om majé-paja samaye hita ah!!"
 
The magic somehow passed through the barrier, hitting Carrot against it's back wall.
 
"AAAAH!"
 
Chocolat leapt forward once more, "DARLING! Damn... how can you do that?!"
 
"Magic which is learnt by a body travels different routes through this world... it is merely a bonus that I have a vessel who can use Eastern Magic... and only magic with an evil intent can transform our sweet friend. Magic flows from the soul, Chocolat... and what magic from this person's soul could truly want to harm Carrot? If I wanted to, I could make him transform, but... I'd rather face him as a human."
 
Marron stepped lightly to the floor once more, pacing quietly around Carrot's little bubble.
 
"YOU BASTARD, HAAH!"
 
Aboros turned quickly to face Gateau, who leaped towards him with his fist outstretched; throwing his hand out, Aboros managed to stop Gateau in mid-air, and slowly lowered him to the ground, a few feet away.
 
Gateau scowled in confusion, "What?!"
 
Aboros approached Gateau; he sauntered over, smirking.
 
"Well, go on then, Gateau. Hit me. Punch me. Beat me down."
 
The smirk deepened at Gateau's hesitation.
 
"... You can't, can you?"
 
"... you bastard..."
 
Aboros pointed to Marron's cheek, "Hit me here and send me flying. Come on... you're strong, aren't you? I'm sure you could break this body in two if you so chose."
 
Aboros seemed to consider something for a moment.
 
"... Well, you'll die anyway..."
 
He reached out, looping his arms around Gateau's neck. Gateau was caught out; Aboros took advantage of this, leaning up and crushing Gateau's lips to Marron's own in a sudden bruising kiss.
 
He pulled back, looking Gateau in the eye, smirking still. He kissed again, this time with such gentle feeling... he looked so happy, so satisfied at Gateau's confusion.
 
"You're so strong and so powerful, and you could break me in a moment... but... you can't quite, can you? Because I've got his body... and it was his lips kissing yours... and you're just so still because you don't dare-"
 
"Marron, forgive me."
 
"Huh? Wh-UUUH-!"
 
Trembling with rage, Gateau managed to bring his fist squarely to Marron's midriff, catching Aboros off-guard, sending him flying.
 
Gateau walked over.
 
"I don't wanna hurt Marron, but you're just a bastard, takin' over his body like that..."
 
Aboros sat up, groaning slightly.
 
"Health Fess... uhn. So you'd attack him after all? I commend you, perhaps you have more in you than I suspected. Still, you can't quite kill this body... you hate just to attack... do you think you could hit me again?"
 
"Don't tempt me."
 
"Oh, but I did... what was it like, to have Marron kissing you?"
 
"Bastard... if I ever kiss Marron, I want it to be 'cause he wants me to, not 'cause some Sorcerer twisted his body into kissing me..."
 
Gateau aimed another punch in Aboros' direction, but Aboros jumped into the air, plainly amused.
 
"You're not really trying. In your heart, you don't want to hurt this person... this person probably doesn't want to hurt you either, so it's fortunate I'm not that person, isn't it? Etieme nozora ka re haiem...!"
 
"UHNN-AAAH!"
 
"Powerful, but not powerful enough. You're a fun toy, Gateau Mocha... let's play some more."
 
From inside, Celery watched, impassive. He sat on the windowsill, his legs against it's width, watching the battle down below.
 
Radish's body, now wearing a nightshirt, was propped against the wall to the side of where Celery sat, in a seated position with his back against the wall. Celery turned to face his brother, smiling warmly.
 
"It'd seem the fight's going on, wouldn't it, otouto?"
 
No reply, but this didn't seem to discourage Celery in any way.
 
"They're all powerful... I suppose you didn't see this coming, but I didn't either... otouto, who do you think will win?"
 
Again, Radish didn't have much to offer in the way of conversation.
 
"You're not sure? I'm not either. Aboros seems powerful, but I don't know what he's doing with them... I'm sure he could just wipe them all out in one blast, but he seems bitter and twisted..."
 
Celery looked from the battle scene to Radish again; he'd fallen to the side, slumped over. Celery rolled his eyes good-naturedly.
 
"Tch... come on, otouto, sit up straight."
 
He jumped down to the ground.
 
"See, this isn't so bad, is it? Us two, together again..."
 
Celery held Radish's face up; his eyes were still closed, his skin was cold... Celery sighed.
 
"Though maybe you want to see Marron again... I'm afraid he's not the person you knew, otouto... but if you want to see him, you can look through the window at him."
 
Celery picked Radish up, lifting him over to the windowsill, sitting him on the side and turning his head in the direction of the battle. He smiled warmly.
 
"There we are, otouto... isn't that better? You can see what's going on, now. I expect that's much better than listening to me talk about it, but... even so."
 
Celery laughed lightly.
 
"I caused all of this, in a way... I almost want to help them, but what can I do? Maybe I made the wrong decision... if I'd killed myself, might Aboros not have risen? Or if I'd killed Marron... no, but Marron's so gentle and delicate, I suppose that's what you liked about him, isn't it? I don't think I could kill him, or I couldn't, anyway. Still... I'd like to help them. I don't know what else I can do, though..."
 
Celery brought out his dagger again, idly twirling it against the windowsill.
 
"... I'm not used to you being so quiet, otouto... but I suppose you have your reasons."
 
He threw the dagger into the air and caught it by it's handle.
 
"This blade still has blood on it... always were a bit messy, weren't you, otouto? I don't mind, though. Even if I always have to clean up after you, I don't mind, because it's you."
 
Radish remained silent.
 
Celery wrinkled his nose in a smile.
 
"... You don't say anything, but I know you appreciate it really, don't you? ...Well, yes."
 
Celery turned his head back out to watch the battle.
 
"Perhaps if there was something I could do, though... haven't you noticed how dark the sky is outside?... I'm sure you have. I wonder why that is? Usually it only goes like that when it's coming towards night, and maybe when it's that time of day, and there's a storm brewing... but it's only the morning, isn't it? So perhaps there's a storm brewing on it's own. Don't you think?"
 
Celery turned to catch Radish's reaction, of which, of course, there was none. Celery shook his head.
 
"Oh, have you fallen asleep? Well, you look so calm, otouto... ah, I wish I could be calm like you, but it's difficult like this... perhaps I could be, though. Yes, I think I will be."
 
Celery picked his dagger up from the windowsill.
 
"First, I want to help the others, though. You understand, don't you, otouto?"
 
Silence. Celery's warm smile.
 
"Thank you, otouto. I knew you would."
 
The people still fighting outside knew nothing of Celery's induced mania, still fighting. Carrot still trapped within the small barrier, watching the others fight.
 
Gateau found it hard to fight, but he did his best at distracting Aboros while Tira and Chocolat at least attempted to subdue the Sorcerer... this too was none too easy a task. Aboros easily fended off Chocolat's wire and Tira's whip, even with Gateau to distract... Carrot fumed quietly. It was hard enough watching Gateau and the Misu sisters fight this monster with his brother's form, it was even harder to be watching that while being unable to do anything about it...
 
The second battle was one Aboros quickly countered while he dodged attacks and leapt about; still Marron spoke to him as the battle went on.
 
"Marron, they seem so reluctant..."
 
"They'll subdue you eventually."
 
"And how do you suppose they'll achieve that? You saw how Gateau reacted; Gateau found it hard to hurt this body even once... and the Misu sisters would rather try to capture this body than hurt it... I grow tired of their games, Marron. I could just end it..."
 
Aboros waited for Marron's reply.
 
"Marron? Do you think I should kill them now?"
 
"Do you really expect me to say yes?"
 
"Hm, you're crafty. Oh, but what did you think when we kissed Gateau?"
 
"I agree with Gateau. If I ever were to kiss him, I'd want it to be because I wanted to kiss him, not because I was forced into it, even by a Sorcerer..."
 
Aboros shook his head slightly.
 
"You're no fun, Marron. Can't it be a significant first kiss, even under the circumstance? After all, I AM going to kill him, so it's not as if he'll ever get any other chance to feel this body close to him, or these lips next to his, except perhaps in his dream afterlife."
 
The ground shook slightly, and the barrier that surrounded them all wavered for a moment, then became darker. Aboros looked up.
 
"It'd seem that the barrier is being put under more pressure..."
 
A heavy wind was audible; he frowned.
 
"I wonder where that's coming from?"
 
All of a sudden, a massive bolt of lightning struck, followed by several others in more further positions. The wind increased, and it was as if the world outside the barrier was about to just give up; the ground shook and rain suddenly battered down. This was not usual weather behaviour.
 
Around the corners of the barrier, the Haz Knights had noticed this sudden change. Milphey held firm, wondering what on earth had happened; the barrier suddenly seemed to take so much more power to even be formed, and the world outside the barrier...
 
The barrier held the Salt household, the gardens, the section of river in front of it, and a few layers of trees all around the house. These remained intact. However, outside of the barrier, all hell seemed to be breaking loose; a sudden savage earthquake seemed to be ripping under the earth, trees strewn around as if they were nothing in the sudden hurricane-force winds...
 
Milphey was aware that he wasn't alone; he gasped in shock.
 
"Cinnamon! Get back to your post, quickly!"
 
"Iii juust waanteed tooo seee iiiff eeverryyoonnee waas aallriight... Iii woonndderred iiiff maaybe yooouu orrr Shiiffoonn orrr Kaaahluuuaaa haad beeen huurt, aand thaat waaas whaat waas maaki-"
 
"I'm alright, I'm alright, we don't have time for long explanations, just get back already! I don't know what's going on, and I doubt Shiffon or Kahlua do either... perhaps Mamu-sama knows... but she can't tell us. I hope she doesn't send Dota or Sirius out here... this weather... it's like an apocalypse..."
 
Cinnamon zipped back to her post, narrowly missing a tree that flew in her direction. Milphey ducked to avoid it, watching it as it flew off.
 
"That was too close... but what is going on here?!"
 
On his side of the barrier, Kahlua had little more idea than the other Haz Knights, but still he kept the barrier steady. He frowned, speaking quietly to himself.
 
"This power... something large is building up... from within the barrier? Mamu-sama... if it were dangerous to keep the barrier steady... she'd inform us."
 
Feeling secure in his beliefs, Kahlua carried on holding the barrier.
 
Inside the barrier, everyone was suddenly aware of something going on. The white light that Aboros used to attack with seemed to be filling the square set off by the barrier, as if going along some invisible chain reaction.
 
The Sorcerer Hunters looked up in fear; the magic seemed inescapable. Aboros also looked unsure; this was obviously something he hadn't been expecting. Absently, he spoke to the voice in his mind.
 
"W-what is this?"
 
"You expect me to know, Aboros?"
 
"Don't be smart, Marron. This power, this magic... this is... that other person's power?"
 
"That... other person?"
 
"Yes, yes, that other Salt brother, the more powerful one... can it be, he...?"
 
Marron remained quiet, leaving Aboros' ambiguity to speak for itself.
 
Aboros let out a cry as the magic enveloped him, as did the others when it reached them; all was a bright white light, and then all was darkness.
 
Darkness.
 
Still darkness.
 
The world filtered back slowly... but it seemed hazy, fuzzy, as if in a dream... or behind a kind of barrier?
 
Aboros looked in front of him, seeing a figure. He blinked a few times, trying to correct Marron's sight, then smiled once he realised who it was who he was with.
 
"Ah, Carrot..."
 
"... What happened?"
 
Aboros shrugged lightly.
 
"I can't say... but it would seem... it'd seem we're trapped behind some sort of..." he reached out, pressing against the hazy wall; it was indeed solid, and not much of anything was visible on the outside.
 
Carrot folded his arms, prompting Aboros.
 
"Some sort of...?"
 
"Some sort of barrier... one not brought up of my own hand. Well, it seems there are other powers working against me, Carrot... I wonder what barrier this could be? Though I have my suspicions..."
 
Carrot's voice cut through Aboros' thoughts before he could voice those suspicions.
 
"Who are you?"
 
Aboros looked up, distracted.
 
"I'm the Sorcerer Aboros, Carrot. But... this barrier..."
 
"How did you get inside my brother like that?"
 
Aboros glared at Carrot.
 
"It's too loud to think inside this barrier... Carrot, do you recall who made the Farra Kinju?"
 
"Uh..."
 
"It was me, Carrot, me. Aboros. Basically, when I died, I sealed myself away with the magic... the magic was awoken by Radish and Celery, the magical contract subdued me inside their bodies, Celery killed Radish, freed me, I was able to select a more suitable vessel for my powers, that is, the body of your brother. Alright?"
 
Carrot frowned, glancing at the ground.
 
"I still find it hard to believe that Celery killed Radish... he seemed so against the idea..."
 
"Just because he was against the idea doesn't mean he might not have done it. Radish is certainly dead, and by this sudden... I don't know, it almost seems like some kind of magic overflow, caught within the outer barrier... by that, I almost wonder..."
 
He fell into silence; Carrot prompted him again.
 
"You almost wonder what?"
 
"... I don't think Celery exists on this mortal plane either. But that's just a thought..."
 
"N-no, Celery wouldn't be dead! If he was strong enough to kill Radish, then..."
 
"Desperation can make people do funny things, Carrot. But please, finish your sentence."
 
"If Celery was strong enough to kill Radish then he's strong enough to survive!"
 
Aboros nodded.
 
"Ah. I might say... if he was desperate enough to kill his brother, then he might be desperate enough to kill himself, but... either way, that's unimportant. Something has happened here... and I suppose it cuts short my playtime, but... I suppose it must end either way. Though I'm almost attached to you and your friends, defending against your friend so easily... but all good things must come to an end. I'm sorry, Carrot... but I think I'll have to kill you, now. First though, I think your brother would like a few words."
 
Aboros could feel hope welling up inside him, from Marron.
 
"Don't get too excited too quickly, Marron. I'll let your brother see Marron... remember the Marron who wanted him dead, the Marron who loved Radish?"
 
"... Let me talk to my brother."
 
"Oh, come on. Why would I want to do that?"
 
Carrot suddenly sensed a slight change; he assumed this was Aboros giving up control of Marron for the time being.
 
They stood several meters apart; Carrot stepped forward, "...Marron?"
 
"SUZAKU, KAEN... GOKU!!"
 
Carrot was thrown back against the barrier.
 
"UNF...! A-a... Marron?!"
 
"You are Carrot, are you not? Niisan, niisan, can't you hear me?"
 
"He can't hear you, Marron."
 
"Of course I am, who else would I be?!"
 
"Then you-... you are that Sorcerer Hunter... you are the one responsible for Radish's death!"
 
Carrot frowned in sudden shocked confusion.
 
"What?! Marron- Marron, I didn't have anything to do with that! Celery was the one who killed Radish, not me! I wasn't anything to do with that! Marron... Marron, what caused this? Can't you talk to me like you were?"
 
"You're a LIAR! There WAS no time before this... the lies you tell me... telling me of a life with you... they were lies, just as you're lying now! Celery wouldn't murder Radish, those two are such close brothers... but somebody like you, somebody who'd want to steal me away, steal me back to be with you... you'd murder Radish in cold blood, just to be with me!"
 
Carrot bit his lip, glancing to one side.
 
"I wouldn't deny that. I didn't kill Radish, but I wouldn't deny that."
 
He turned to face Marron again.
 
"... Marron, why are you angry with me?"
 
Marron faltered.
 
"... Radish... Radish hated you! Radish was the person I loved, and... this morning, I woke to find him dead! The killer could only have been you! I won't let you take me away from him, I'll have revenge on his soul! I'll kill those who killed him..."
 
"Marron... you go on about me trying to take you away from Radish... what if I said that... that Radish was the one who'd taken you away from me?"
 
Carrot felt oddly calm, all of a sudden. Suddenly unable to do anything, he realised that all he had to fall back on was the truth; the truth, and that that he felt... and if Marron didn't believe him, if Marron chose not to believe him... Carrot would do all he could to tell him of his feelings, to convince him, once and for all, that Radish had been the one lying, that Radish wasn't Marron's one true truth, or whatever it was he'd said, whatever it was he'd persuaded Marron that he was...
 
Marron watched Carrot intently, his arms folded tightly around his chest.
 
"I'd say you were lying."
 
Carrot nodded, "I thought you'd say something like that... and I suppose Radish loved you more than life itself, did he not?"
 
"... Radish certainly loved me, at least... niisan...! NIISAN!!"
 
"Did you love him?"
 
"I had feelings for him... n-no... niisan... please... NIISAN!!"
 
"Scream all you want, Marron. He won't hear you... hm, this is more fun than I thought it'd be. You're quite a determined little thing, aren't you?"
 
"So he loved you..."
 
Carrot fell into silence for a few moments... Marron still watched him intently, watching him so closely... Carrot seemed so deeply in thought, now. He paced back and forth across his end of the closed-in area, his deep brown eyes occasionally looking up to meet Marron's own; Marron found his eyes flickering away whenever Carrot's eyes drifted to his.
 
Marron scowled, "Yes, he loved me! Is that so hard to believe?"
 
Carrot shook his head, "No, it'd be easy for anyone to have feelings for you. So I... I suppose you still say you don't have a brother?"
 
"I never had a brother! The only brother I might ever had had was a lie created for me by a sworn enemy...!"
 
"But even if it was a lie, being brothers... it's a close relationship, at least... and even if it was a lie, even if it wasn't really real, just from it existing, there'd be thoughts and memories and experiences that'd mean a lot, even if they were essentially a lie... right?"
 
"Carrot, what are you saying?!"
 
"Just that... even if we weren't brothers, the time we've spent together, the things that've happened... even if we weren't brothers, they're the sorts of things that make us close, right?"
 
Marron just glared, "You're a fool."
 
"Maybe, but I'm still a fool who loves you. Stuff that happened, though... like... um... that time when me and you and Chocolat and Tira were running around the house pretending to be Sorcerer Hunters... and we were picking on you and Tira because you didn't want to play, because me and Chocolat wanted to be against you and Tira 'cause you guys were younger..."
 
"Stop this! I don't see how this has any relevance..."
 
Carrot ignored Marron, carrying on.
 
"... So you and Tira were running off, and we were chasing you, saying that you were evil Sorcerers and we needed to capture you and tickle you until you told us all your secrets... and... there was that red rug at the top of the stairs, remember? And you were about to run off it down the stairs when I stepped on it, and you slipped, and you ended up falling down the stairs..."
 
Marron just watched, looking impassive. Carrot smiled wistfully.
 
"Fortunately pop happened to be walkin' past at the time, and he managed to catch you, but you'd fallen on your leg, and it turned out, when we went to see the doctor in the other town, that it was broken, y'remember? So you had to stay in bed for ages... and I felt real guilty, 'cause it was right in the middle of summer, and you missed being able to run around outside, so me and Chocolat and Tira sneaked flowers and stuff into your bedroom to try and make it like outside, inside, remember?"
 
"... You're still lying!"
 
"And you had those funny stick things and that hard stuff to keep your leg in place, and we all drew on it, and Chocolat drew rude things, and pop got all pissed off at her... and you got the stuff replaced... and we drew on that, too... then we drew on you, and then mom got pissed off... but you liked it when we drew on you, anyway. Made you look real pretty, too... see, Tira drew flowers on your cheeks, and I drew monster faces on your chest, and-"
 
"BE SILENT! Those times have no consequence! Those times... those times are... those times were lies, given to you to fool you into thinking you knew me!"
 
"So you don't remember that time?"
 
"If you've been fooled into thinking that that's the truth, then I pity you, Carrot Glacé."
 
Carrot smiled hopefully at Marron.
 
"Still... little things like that... even if you don't remember them, even if you believe they didn't happen, they sound fun, right? Kids messing around, and stuff..."
 
"I don't care, they are from a time meaningless to me, they-"
 
"You were a cute kid, y'know. Kinda short and a bit dumpy but still cute. You looked like one of those doll ornament things, with your straight black hair all kinda down to your neck, and those robes you used to wear that were just a little too big, took you a while to grow into them. But you had the biggest eyes, y'know? Always so expressive, if you were about to burst into tears it was always easy to notice, and when you were happy they'd just go sparkly, and I'd call you sparkly-otouto, and you'd call me shiny-niisan, and we'd laugh..."
 
Marron produced an ofuda.
 
"Do I need to throw this over your mouth to keep you quiet? I don't want to hear about your memories of a time that didn't exist. I'm happy for you that you find so much pleasure in such memories, but I feel sorry for you, living in a past that didn't exist in the first place..."
 
Carrot noticed that Marron sounded fractionally calmer now. Perhaps he was getting somewhere?
 
He folded his arms, stopping in his pacing to fix Marron with a steady glare.
 
"Okay then, if those memories are so pathetic, then tell me something that you remember. Tell me something that you and Radish and Celery did when you were kids. Tell me something funny, or something sad, or something that doesn't really make sense and it was one of those things you really had to be there for... just something you remember from your past. If all that's a lie, and everything else is a lie, then tell me something that isn't a lie."
 
Of course, there was nothing Marron could tell him.
 
Marron stared at Carrot, as if he was enraged that Carrot would dare suggest such a thing.
 
"S-silence!"
 
Carrot sounded seriously determined, "You're just pissy 'cause you can't remember anything. 'Cause those times were the lie, not the things I talk about. So if I said that Radish stole you away from me instead of vice versa, you'd say that was a lie, hm?"
 
"The only truth in your words is that you speak false."
 
Carrot waved his hand, "Whatever. So that's a lie, and it was the truth that Radish loved you, and all of that, hn?"
 
"Yes... Radish was... Radish was my truth."
 
"What if I said I loved you more than Radish did? What if I said I loved you more than Radish could ever imagine he ever could?"
 
Anger blazed in Marron's eyes.
 
"You... don't SPEAK like that! Doubting his love for me... you lied when you spoke before, and you're still lying to this moment!"
 
Carrot just shook his head, speaking calmly.
 
"Don't say that, because I'm not. Can't you just say 'I know, I love you' back? Aboros will probably kill me and silence you, and then we won't be able to say much of anything, and you might remember the person who was your niisan and you'll be sad, because then I'll be dead... but... I guess if you really don't remember me, and you really don't remember who I am, and after all this time you still believe all that crap Radish fed into you, I... I guess I can't do anything to stop that. I know I never really said 'I love you' much, more like 'he's a bit weird' and 'he's kinda strange' and stuff, but... well, as I said, I'm probably about to die anyway, so..."
 
Carrot sighed loudly.
 
"... I love you, Marron. It's been hell the last month or two, trying to get you back with us and stuff, and we all tried our hardest and everything, but I guess if you really don't wanna come back with us, and you'd really rather believe all that One Truth stuff and crap, then... you believe that, and, uh... yeah. You just do what you want, I can't do anything anymore. I dunno if there's anything I can do."
 
Marron had started off listening to Carrot, ready to write off what he said with a quick dismissal, but after a while, he couldn't listen anymore; emotions flew around within him, even against Aboros' power.
 
"Marron... isn't that painful to listen to? Oh, how he says he loves you. That's almost sweet, isn't it? The poor boy... he loves you so much, ahahah. And you can't even react to that..."
 
"Shut up."
 
"You'd tell me to shut up?"
 
"Yes, I would. For niisan. To be with niisan. He IS my niisan... he's my niisan, and... he loves me... I love him also... and even if you come between us... even if you HAVE overtaken my body, I... I don't care..."
 
Aboros didn't seem impressed.
 
"You're determined, I'll hand that to you... but even despite how you feel, that's only how you FEEL. What you feel and what you're capable of are two different things."
 
"I'm aware of that. Yet... I feel when my hand moves, I feel when I place my hand against the barrier... it may be because you're moving my body... but I refuse to be your puppet..."
 
"I can't grant you sentient movement, Marron."
 
Aboros could feel Marron's determination within him.
 
"... Impressive. So you're determined? You still can't do anything with that determination."
 
Marron sounded almost amused.
 
"No? This is my body... my body, my will, my determination, my feelings... how can you compare to that? Radish is no longer around to manipulate me, and if you speak the truth and Celery IS dead, his hold upon me is gone also. Even if the magic surrounds us in this atmosphere, and in this barrier... and even if you have taken hold on my body... I cannot let you stay there. You plan to use my body in your plans, you even used my Eastern Magic against my brother... you're clever and you're cunning, but I can't forgive you. My soul is a lot more used to this body than yours is, and it will continue to be so. I know how to expel your soul from my body."
 
"You're bluffing! I control you, mind, body and soul!"
 
"Then how am I talking like this? Why does my soul burn with passion and fury against you if you control it? You may control my body, that's true, but... you hurt my brother. Not only that, but you used my body... MY body - to hurt him. To hurt my brother would be unforgivable, but... you go to such depths to give unforgivable a new meaning, and I'll..."
 
Marron's voice was scarily calm.
 
"... I'll show you a true hell, Aboros. If I ever get a chance to exact revenge, I'll show you hell. But for the time being... this is what'll have to do."
 
Aboros realised that he couldn't quite read what Marron was about to do, or at least planning to do; almost as if he'd shut that part of himself away... but he couldn't do that, surely?
 
Marron's body stepped forward. Carrot had been staring to the side, unaware of the silent exchange within Marron's mind, believing that perhaps it was truly hopeless... he saw the movement and glanced up, wondering what this version of Marron would counter with this time.
 
Marron stared intently at Carrot, his eyes seeming... clearer, almost...
 
He spoke.
 
"Niisan... niisan, I... I know. I know you love me. I... I love you back..."
 
He smiled slightly.
 
"... is that what you wanted me to say?"
 
"WHAT!? Marron, how are you- how can you- WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"
"You'll see."
 
Carrot's eyes widened in disbelief. For a few moments, he was rendered speechless; Marron had spoken... it wasn't Marron controlled by Aboros' soul, or Marron controlled by Radish's magic... it was... it was Marron...
 
"Ma-... Marron!?"
 
"Yes... niisan?"
 
"MARRON! Marron, it's- it's YOU!"
 
"Who else would it be, niisan? Now, Aboros... you are a magical being that took hold of my body, are you not? A magical soul, a being without form, only existing as a parasite that feeds off others... are you not?"
"Yes, but- what does that have to do with anything?"
 
"In a similar situation, this worked before... let's pray it works once more."
 
"Marron... what are you planning?!"
 
"Your death."
 
Marron spoke so calmly, Aboros couldn't help but worry; Marron seemed so certain of what he was about to do, and of what he had planned, Aboros had no idea...
 
Marron ran forward suddenly; Carrot stood there, "Marron?"
 
"Niisan, don't question me... you'll understand soon..."
 
Marron covered the rest of the distance, almost jumping forward in his desperation to put his plan into action before Aboros could realise what was happening and do something to prevent it. He quickly wrapped his arms around Carrot, and he felt such relief at feeling that touch, that contact... by that point, it was too late, anything that Aboros wanted to do would be too late... Marron's magic wasn't enough to make Carrot transform into a beast, but perhaps the raw power of Aboros' soul would be.
 
Carrot's legs gave out at feeling Marron hug him so strongly, confused, he let himself fall.
 
"Marron, what-?"
 
"The last time, it was an accident. Let it work this time as it worked before... niisan..."
 
And Marron kissed Carrot.
 
It'd worked before on at least two occasions Marron could remember. When Crepe was kept alive by the revival kinju Auf Eair Shuteun, Carrot's kiss had been enough to absorb her power; also around that time, Carrot's kiss had been enough to bring Tira out of her mind control... Marron wondered what kind of power his brother's lips contained as he kissed with desperation, his hands moving to hold Carrot's head... he opened his eyes weakly, seeing Carrot's eyes, wide open, staring into his, confused, uncertain... he heard Aboros' voice in his mind.
 
"He'll hate you now, Marron. Idiot. What did you mean to have happen?"
 
Marron suddenly felt faint as desperation met determination.
 
"Maybe it didn't work, Aboros. Let me return back inside my body; you're right. He'll hate me."
 
Aboros couldn't help but feel slightly confused; Marron sounded quiet enough, but... that determination that burnt so fervently... he'd give up so suddenly? Still Marron kissed Carrot, as if afraid to let up. Aboros supposed that he was. Well, maybe Marron hadn't had the power he thought he had. A strong talker, but perhaps that was all he was, just bluff. The body was strong, true enough, but the mind just wasn't quite strong enough. Oh well, he's had his fun, Aboros thought as he resumed control over Marron's mind and body.
 
The bluff worked. While Marron had control, Aboros was the secondary one in Marron's body, and Marron's base feeling meant he couldn't hurt Carrot. However, once Aboros took over Marron's body, he was the primary one, and his power was there and ready for the taking by Carrot; Marron had no control as his brother suddenly transformed into a beast, Aboros' spirit, soul and magic absorbed from Marron's body through to Carrot's body, his power of Zooanthropy coming into play at last.
 
Marron fell back, feeling suddenly tired as he finally reclaimed his body as his own; the magic of the barrier broke as Carrot's form raged powerfully against it... the world seemed slightly clearer now... the barriers, except for the one formed by the Haz Knights, were gone. A storm seemed to rage above the barrier, but that was so far away... Carrot's beast form raged, but even his cries were so far away as Marron eventually slipped into unconsciousness.
 
The Misu sisters and Gateau broke from their own barriers around the same time as Carrot's barrier broke; they were faced with, above anything else, Carrot's beast form. He seemed so strong and powerful... something different from what he usually became, almost. Tira and Chocolat noticed this, and Gateau noticed Marron's unconscious form a little way away from Carrot's rampaging beast form.
 
"MARRON!"
 
He ran forward, concerning himself with Marron while the Misu sisters concerned themselves with Carrot.
 
Tira turned to Chocolat.
 
"Oneesama... oneesama, what happened? What is he?"
 
"I'm not sure, Tira..."
 
Chocolat smirked, holding her wire in a well-worn pose.
 
"... but he's something that needs to be tamed. Don't hold back on him."
 
Any fear Chocolat might have had at being inside the suddenly small-seeming barrier with such a large monster was hidden behind her cool, sexy exterior. Tira blinked at Chocolat, feeling encouraged by her sister's fearlessness. She nodded confidently.
 
"Right!"
 
She turned to face Carrot.
 
"OHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!! Naughty naughty puppy!!"
 
Her whip cracked over and over.
 
"Such a naughty boy... feel my whip! FEEL IT!! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!"
 
Chocolat stood to the side, letting Tira have her place in the spotlight. She smiled; Tira could be quite passionate when she felt she needed to be.
 
Remembering Gateau and Marron, Chocolat ran over to where they were.
 
Gateau was sat behind Marron, holding him close; Marron's head leant against Gateau's lower chest... he was breathing, but not doing much else. One of Gateau's hands was holding Marron's shoulders tightly, and the other, Chocolat noticed, was wrapped firmly over Marron's hand. Her look softened as she dropped to a kneel in front of Marron, reaching out and stroking his cheek gently. She looked up at Gateau, he seemed so worried...
 
"Gateau... he looks so peaceful..."
 
"I, I know, but... what if he doesn't wake up?! We don't know what happened when we were behind those barriers!"
 
Chocolat withdrew her hand, looking at Marron's sleeping face, then up at Carrot, who was still being tamed by Tira.
 
"I know... Carrot, why don't you turn back...?"
 
"Maybe you should...?"
 
Chocolat stood up, nodding. "Perhaps I should."
 
She made to walk off, but felt something pulling her back. She looked down, and saw Marron's hand at the flared end of her trousers. She looked to his face, his eyes were open... he looked weak, but his eyes were open.
 
"Marron?"
 
"You... you don't need to... Chocolat..."
 
"Marron, you're tired out, don't do anything if it's hard to do..."
 
Marron turned to look over his shoulder, seeing Gateau's concern there... his look softened, a warm look in his eyes.
 
"Help me stand..."
 
"O-of course..."
 
Gateau did so, holding Marron as securely as he could.
 
"Sometimes... the only one who can tame my brother..."
 
Marron smiled self-indulgently as he produced an ofuda, breathing deeply.
 
"You can... you can let go now, Gateau."
 
"You sure?"
 
"I know you'll catch me if I fall."
 
Gateau couldn't help a slight blush as he released Marron's shoulders.
 
Marron took his battle stance, taking a few moments to gather himself, his thoughts, and enough ofuda to absorb the magic from his brother. Gateau still stood to the side, ready to catch Marron if he did indeed fall.
 
Marron released the ofuda, letting them hit his brother, like in all the missions they'd taken together in the past... one ofuda turned black and went to fall to the floor, but burst into flames then extinguished before it had a chance to do so.
 
Chocolat gasped.
 
"The ofuda... had no effect!"
 
Marron shook his head, "It did, but those few aren't enough... Aboros had a lot of power within him... and in this contained atmosphere..."
 
Gateau stepped forward as Marron swayed slightly, but he managed to correct himself.
 
"... in this contained atmosphere, it... concentrates the magic, but... I should... if Tira works to subdue him... Chocolat, if you do too..."
 
She nodded, "I understand."
 
Chocolat ran to join her sister, "ALRIGHT, PUPPY! FEEL MY WIRE!"
 
"OHOHOHOHOHO!!"
 
"AHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
 
Gateau just blinked, "They can be scary sometimes..."
 
Marron laughed quietly, "That they can."
 
He continued to release ofuda with his practiced efficiency; eventually, the Misu sisters managed to tame him and Marron managed to absorb enough magic from him for Carrot to finally let out one last bestial moan, and he shrank back into his human form.
 
Gateau smiled widely at Marron, "ALRIGHT! You did it!"
 
"We did it, Gateau. All of us."
 
"I didn't do anything..."
 
Marron started to walk over to where Carrot was, looking over his shoulder at Gateau.
 
"You were there for me, that was enough."
 
"O-oh..."
 
Marron smiled warmly, running the last distance over to Carrot, crouching next to him, then kneeling. He grabbed Carrot's right hand, holding it in both of his. Carrot was currently zoned out from his retransformation, but that didn't discourage Marron any.
 
"Niisan... niisan..."
 
Carrot shook his head until the world stopped spinning.
 
"Uhnn... wha happn...? Dn rmber..."
 
Marron just smiled at his brother's mumbling, holding Carrot's hand to his cheek.
 
"It doesn't matter, niisan... you can remember once you've had some sleep... and I also..."
 
Gateau ran over in time to see Marron keel over, landing comfortably against Carrot's chest. Gateau folded his arms.
 
"So they're both totally gone?"
 
Chocolat nodded, "Looks like it. But they both seem to be back to some kind of normal, anyway..."
 
Tira was the one who pointed out the next thing they all noticed; "The storm's cleared up!"
 
Gateau looked up, "Uh? Oh, oh yeah! It has! I wonder where it came from, though? For a moment there, everything was completely just... yeah..."
 
"EVERYONE!"
 
Gateau looked up at Milphey's call; Gateau waved, "YO!"
 
Milphey joined them, looking down at Carrot and Marron. He smiled, "So... Marron-chan is...?"
 
"Yeah, he's back."
 
Relief flooded Milphey's body, and it was visible. He let out a deep breath.
 
"Wheeww, that's good. I was really starting to worry, there. So... what happened?"
 
Chocolat shrugged, "I'm not entirely sure... suddenly everything seemed to go haywire, and we were trapped behind these barriers... then the barriers let up, when that happened, Carrot had turned into a monster and Marron'd fainted..."
 
Tira nodded, agreeing. Milphey prodded Marron's shoulder with his foot.
 
"Well, maybe we'll get some kind of explanation from these two, but that might not be for a while. It's nice here though, isn't it? The sun's come out. Shame that can't be said for the rest of the land around here, everywhere else looks like a bomb's hit it. The other Haz Knights went to check it all out, they said they thought I should come here, see you guys, make sure everything's alright... and it is, so..."
 
Milphey trailed off, ending with a smile.
 
"I guess we just wait for Big Mama to take us back, now. Though I can't help but be a bit curious..."
 
"Curious?"
 
"Wondering what's in that big house... kinda wondering if there's anyone in there, you know?"
 
Chocolat nodded, detransforming alongside Tira.
 
"I know what you mean... but I just want to know what those barrier things were all about, more than anything else..."
 
Gateau sighed, "Well, it's not like we can ask anyone, or anything. It was probably just some kinda magic, that's probably about all we'll get to know, we should leave it at that. Some things aren't important."
 
Milphey nodded, "Gateau-chan has a point. Anyway... I think we should get these two somewhere... even if it's only until Mamu-sama turns up, I wouldn't want Carrot-chan catching cold after all of this. Maybe we could take them inside there?"
 
Milphey was already reaching to lift Carrot up. Gateau blinked.
 
"I don't know... should we?"
 
"I doubt we're going to find anybody in there now, Gateau. We might as well. Don't you want an opportunity to hold Marron-chan?"
 
"Be quiet..."
 
Milphey just giggled lightly at Gateau's prominent blush, proved right when Gateau moved to pick Marron up. Supported by Tira and Chocolat, the six of them headed towards the household.
 
****
 
The sky, if that was what it was, seemed calm, at last. Clouds billowed around, and all seemed purple within them... but calmer than before, more serene, more beautiful...
 
One figure sat alone, sitting somewhere amongst the clouds, unable to fly between them, but able just to watch them... watch them and be content just to watch them, even if only for the time being.
 
Marron rolled onto his back, watching the clouds. Some seemed white, some seemed lilac... all in all, the scene was quite pretty... he wasn't alone, though.
 
"... Quite beautiful, isn't it?"
 
"Hn? Someone... someone's there?"
 
Marron sat up quickly, looking around, attempting to place the voice.
 
"Yeah... yeah, there's someone here. Not for long, though. So... just... stay there, I'll find you."
 
"A-alright..."
 
Eventually, someone emerged from the clouds to Marron's side.
 
"... Radish!"
 
Radish nodded, leaning on the clouds next to Marron, leaning on his chest. He glanced up at Marron, smiling slightly.
 
"Yeah, it's me."
 
"You-... they said you died, you...!"
 
"Maybe I did die. Maybe that was just a dream."
 
He smiled somewhat wryly.
 
"Perhaps this is just a dream too. Who can really say? Anyway, I'm not here to discuss philosophy with you. What do you remember?"
 
"What do you mean?"
 
Radish waved one hand around, "In general. The things you just did, things like that. This is the place inside your mind, and before, there were scenes of such sorrow to you... the brother you couldn't hope to reach... the memories from a past that didn't seem to make sense... all of that kinda stuff. What do you remember now, though?"
 
Marron stared at Radish for a few moments, looking away after a while.
 
"I... I don't know... I don't know. Things that have happened... I'm not sure what I can remember... I've been watching these clouds for a while, I've just been focusing on them..."
 
"Wouldn't you like to fly amongst them?"
 
"Radish?"
 
Radish had caught Marron in the middle of his sentence, Marron was surprised for a moment.
 
He frowned, slightly confused. Fly... amongst the clouds? That seemed a nice idea, but... it couldn't really happen, could it?
 
Marron smiled almost shyly, shaking his head.
 
"The clouds are their own thing, Radish. I can't hope to fly there..."
 
Radish shook his head, sighing sadly.
 
"Is this what I did to you... Marron, I still think you're beautiful. If those clouds are beautiful, and you're beautiful... wouldn't it be more beautiful if you flew through them?"
 
Marron stared at the wide expanse of clouds for a few moments.
 
They flowed past the two of them quietly, undisturbed... different colours, different shades... Marron reached out with one hand, making as if to touch the clouds.
 
"I couldn't hope to fly through them."
 
Radish moved a little closer, moving his hands to Marron's shoulderblades.
 
"And why not? What stops you?"
 
"I... I can't fly through that place..."
 
"If this is just a dream, then what's to stop you? Come, Marron... maybe there were scary things there before, and people and things that prevented you before... and maybe someone tore away your wings, but... well, I'll give them back to you now."
 
"Ra- Radish?"
 
Radish nodded.
 
"A while ago, I thought I could tame you to be mine... pretty songbird, locked in a cage... and you were happy to be in that cage, weren't you?"
 
"Radish, what are you trying to say?"
 
"Quiet, just... just listen to me. Even if you were happy to be a bird in a cage, wouldn't it be more beautiful if you flew free in the sky? Even if you thought that all you knew was in that cage... in the end, even if it was more uncertain... there'd be more of a life outside of the cage... and you'd remember the life you had when you were free in the sky..."
 
"I... I don't understand..."
 
Radish smiled warmly at Marron's confusion, stroking his cheek.
 
"I know you don't, but it sounds pretty, doesn't it? Heh... you can't be tamed, Marron. Maybe people can try... but... if you ever do get tamed, I think it'll only be because you want to be, so... find someone you want to be tamed by, out there. Or find someone to tame, either way."
 
"... Out... there..."
 
"Mmm. In that endless sky."
 
Marron leant against his arms, turning his head away from Radish.
 
"That's not somewhere I can go."
 
"And who told you you couldn't?"
 
Marron closed his eyes.
 
"I... I don't know, but... it's not somewhere I can go, not somewhere I've ever been able to go..."
 
"Well, go there now."
Radish's hands moved back to Marron's shoulders, doing something there... Marron tried to look over his shoulder, trying to see what Radish was doing... he turned to look at Radish, who just had a quiet, unreadable smile on his face. Marron frowned, not understanding.
 
"... Radish..."
 
After a few moments, Radish lifted his hands, and tipped Marron's chin up to look.
 
"There. You can fly free now."
 
"... What?"
 
"The wings. I know now you couldn't soar with me, so... find that person you can soar with again, okay?"
 
Marron quietly stood up, feeling the support of his newly-grown wings behind him. He looked, and he saw the wings... he gasped.
 
"T-those wings!"
 
Radish just nodded.
 
"They're your wings, Marron. And they can only ever be your wings."
 
He pointed to the clouds.
 
"Now, go, okay?"
 
"But you... what'll happen to you? Radish, I... I want to fly with you!"
 
Radish shook his head, "Nah, you don't want to do that. I'm not meant to fly here. I've got other places to be, other places to go, y'know? There's... there's someone waiting for me somewhere else. I just wanted to make sure you were okay before I went there... and you can't stay around here all day, I'm sure there's someone or something above the clouds waiting for you too, so..."
 
Marron smiled warmly, "Celery's waiting for you, isn't he..."
 
Radish blushed slightly, "Y-yeah, well... someone's gotta look after the guy, y'know. He's always always running around after me and stuff, I might as well run around for him a little more. So just go already!"
 
"And when I wake up? When I wake up from this dream..."
 
"You'll be okay."
 
"Yes, but... but you...?"
 
Radish shook his head, "Don't think about that, it's not important. Marron, just... just go. I wanna see you fly into the sky, I'm sure you'll be pretty. 'Cause you always are pretty, you're always beautiful, and all of that... everything about you, but... n-never mind that."
 
Radish stood back, feeling the disturbance of Marron's wings beating against the air. Somehow, as Marron rose into the air, the clouds seemed to part. Radish shielded his eyes from the light above, concentrating on Marron, Marron's face, Marron's sad smile... he smiled back, waving as Marron flew higher... higher... then reached a height where his face was visible no longer, his wings seeming to sparkle with silver light... they swirled around him, wings, feathers and clouds combined... and he flew off, leaving just his sparkling trail in his wake.
 
Radish looked to his side, where discarded demon wings lay. He smiled at them.
 
"Well, he said he loved him and everything... so even if the idiot doesn't realise... there's still all of that, even if he doesn't remember. Well..."
 
Radish reached for those wings, but they crumbled the moment he touched them.
 
"... I guess I can't touch them either. Not my wings..."
 
"Otouto!"
 
"Ah? Oniisama?"
 
"You've been there so long, I was worried about you..."
 
"I know, I know, sorry. Hey, I'm stuck here. Marron's got his wings, so what about me?"
 
The clouds parted again, this time to Celery and his sparkling wings. His arms were folded, he looked mockingly chiding.
 
"Honestly, otouto..."
 
"Heh, my wings are here. C'mon, let's go."
 
Radish let Celery take him in his arms, and the two flew off.
 
Radish looked up at Celery as they flew.
 
"So..."
 
"So, otouto?"
 
"If this is just a dream, and everything..."
 
"Yes?"
 
Radish stared at Celery intently for a few moments, Celery carefully watching his brother, waiting for whatever philosophical insight his brother would most likely impart...
 
Radish just smiled, closing his eyes.
 
"... it's a pretty one, isn't it?"
 
Celery smiled, shaking his head. Some people didn't change.
 
"... Yes, otouto."
 
And with that, the two brothers flew off into the clouds, to be gone from Marron's mind, forever.