Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ And The Kid Who Just Stands Tonight ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



Prologue

The quiet mountain freshness was like nothing she had ever experienced before. The cool dampness of the stolid pine trees and the woods beyond, the soft, lingering moss under her shoes; it was a perfect savage paradise surrounding her. She looked on it all in wonder as she and her mysterious group traveled along an unbeaten path leading into the unknown. The majority of her several traveling companions seemed unaware of the beauty and splendor of the wild forest around them; caring not about the lush ferns that swayed at their feet as they tramped across a barely touched world.

Yet there was one, other than her, who seemed to actually see it all. He touched the leaves, almost sentimentally, as they passed, his long black hair glinting like the dew that shone from the green stalks. The others did not even glance at the rugged mountain view; at the purple peaks that stood off in the distance. Instead they walked sluggishly towards a village; a village they knew nothing about save its name: Ayumi.

It was obvious they would not reach the village until sundown, for already the sun was allotting its bedtime and was wrapping itself in a thick red shroud, which could be seen through the darkening trees. The woman simply gathered herself closer to her companions as the evening cool set in. Despite her red cloak, she shivered slightly, and glanced at her sister, who was possessively clutching the man of their dreams, petting his hair sweetly as they walked, even though he cringed.

He was so beautiful to her, though most disagreed, and even though she would never admit it, she wanted someday to be his. She was so shy and intimidated by her voluptuous sister that she refrained entirely from voicing those hot feelings she had that burned in her soul. Instead she remained quiet, silently hidden beneath her large glasses as she always had. That lanky shorthaired boy she loved so much, though always with her in the midst of the group, was never really there for her. And she hated this.

Sighing, she pulled her sister silently off of the boy, who was grimacing and cursing slightly. A meek word of encouragement floated from behind them, where a dark haired, feminine form paced lithely. This was the quiet, younger sibling of the boy she loved. He was his brother's exact opposite: intelligent, quiet, and beautiful, powerful in a sense. The two were so different it seemed strange to think they were even brothers, let alone related at all. The younger brother was withdrawn somewhat, his thoughts locked away in darkness where no one could see them. The woman never knew his feelings at all, and sometimes this troubled her. He was her lifelong friend.

The only other companion remaining was the greatly muscular man walking beside the dark-haired mage. He constantly remained at his side and was always peering at him at intervals. It was quite obvious he had a huge predilection towards the slender young man. Frequently he would compliment the little mage and inquire if he would please "Look" at him. The muscular man loved to flaunt his rippling muscles, but unfortunately they did not impress the boy. True, the mage was young in age, but in wisdom and experience it seemed he was a wise adult. This was where he differed most greatly from his brother, but he was not boastful in the least. He loved his brother fervently and would gladly sacrifice himself to save his older brother. The woman found this touching, but frightening somewhat. To think of giving up one's own life, to die with a passion. She wondered sometimes if she would do it for that clumsily cute boy she loved so dearly. Perhaps.

The lights from the village Ayumi shone weakly beyond the trees, like fireflies in the night. The candles of the shops and cottages warmly burned, welcoming the strangers into the unfamiliar town. They had a purpose here that they did not yet know of. The five companions would soon be called on, from this very town, seemingly peaceful, and each would lose something dear to them in different ways. They did not know this at first and rather welcomed the idea of a hot bath and a tranquil inn-room. If they had known, however, what was to happen, they would have never set foot in that mountain town even if their lives had depended on it.

They stood at the village entrance, where the small path ended and fluctuated into a clearing that could barely pass for a town square. Tiny cottages circled it, and more peeked behind the others. The muscular blonde man simply leaned off to one side, waiting for the others as always. The woman, wrapping her red cloak tighter around her to keep warm, watched her sister critically. The sister, as usual, was hanging on the leader, the hero of them all. At least, he was the hero in her heart. Everyone forgot to notice one particular thing, however.



There is always the kid who just stands tonight.

He simply stands, not needed but watching quietly from his own dark corner. It is questioned if he feels anything, but if so, what are those feelings? The woman in the red cloak did not know. The muscular man wanted to know but could not. In every situation, there is the hero in the limelight and the kid who just stands tonight. One day, that situation will change, for all of us. The question is merely when.