Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ And The Kid Who Just Stands Tonight ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tira awoke rather abruptly to birds chirping peacefully outside her modest paned window. The inn-room she had shared with her sister had been quite luxurious, at least when compared to sleeping in cramping sleeping bags as they had done frequently in their travels. The quilts were warm and comfortable, and surprisingly, she had been able to sleep all night. For a brief moment, she simply sat up in the quilts and listened to the birds. It was a beautiful day, she saw.

"GATEAU!!" An insanely angry voice roared, interrupting, muffled by the heavy oak door. Tira giggled to herself. Apparently Carrot had caught Gateau trying something with Marron again. A few bangs and thumping sounds echoed from the wall in the room next door, and Tira guessed that it was probably flying furniture. She wrapped herself softly in a bathrobe and peeked from around the door. Outside in the dimly lit hall, Carrot was yelling at Gateau, who had a deadpan expression.

"How many times do I have to tell you to KEEP AWAY FROM MARRON?" Carrot screamed, his heavy eyebrows laced with intense anger. "Are you too stupid? Or just too goddamn stubborn?"

"Hmph." Gateau sniffed, obviously caring less about the conversation, a particular one he'd had many, many times before. Instead he stroked his arm a bit, where a bruise as big as a fist floated beneath his darkly tanned skin. Tira frowned slightly when she saw it. Carrot was always beating Gateau whenever he tried to show his affections toward the unyielding Marron. Tira didn't think Gateau's flirting was all that evil as Carrot did. She smiled. She actually thought it was kind of cute.

"Niisan." Came a voice suddenly from another cracked door. Marron's golden eyes glinted in the diminished light. "You needn't use such violence, Niisan. Save it for the sorcerers." He then stepped quietly out into the hall. He was dressed, as usual, in his clean white robes, knotted at the waist with a deep violet sash. His hair shimmered prettily as usual, and his even-tempered face revealed that there had been no obscenities. Tira wondered why Carrot had become so angry, for Marron certainly didn't look disheveled. Yet when Marron walked on by her door, she saw a flash of something on his neck, right above his gold-laced collar.

"Oh, ohayo, Tira." Marron turned and smiled at her. A little pink blemish appeared right on the borderline of his collar, and Tira blushed a deep crimson when she realized what it was.

"Uhm, good morning to you too, Marron-chan," Tira responded a little shakily. "I'll, uh, see you at breakfast." No wonder Carrot had been so peeved, she thought. It was the biggest love bite she'd ever seen, and yet Marron seemed to disregard it. She shook her head in amazement. Maybe Gateau had been a tad too mischievous this time, she thought as she softly closed the door to change her clothes.

Leaning against the back of the closed door, she realized that Marron had always been like that. So quiet and imperturbable, seemingly not caring about what went on around him. Had he just let Gateau do exactly what he wanted? She grimaced at the graphic imagery that danced in her mind. Certainly not, she hoped.

"Uhhhh," a groan wafted from underneath some heavy checked quilts. Chocolate, her sister, seemed to be just waking up. Tira emitted a slight smile. When not flirting extravagantly with Carrot, she could actually be quite comical at times. Though the two sisters rivaled one another in the bitter conquest of love, they still remained close siblings, through every hardship that reared its ugly head, and every laugh that coursed between them. Tira felt fortunate to have her sister, for Chocolate had always been stronger than her in spirit, doing things Tira would never have dared to do. Tira respected her in this way, and fervently hoped that she had something worth envying as well.

"Time to get up, oneechan," Tira laughed quietly, pulling on her familiar red cloak. Meanwhile her sister emerged from the covers; her hair wild and appearing as if it was frozen in tendrils that pointed upward. Chocolate immediately began smoothing down her hair instinctively, and scooted out of the bed to better examine her rumpled reflection. The mirror revealed that she had a beautiful sensual form, even if bed-rumpled, and immediately Tira felt a familiar twang of jealousy. Chocolate had always effortlessly flaunted herself around Carrot, and this bothered Tira deeply. Tira was a shy, quiet, and generally kind woman, as long as Carrot behaved himself. Frequently she did feel that burning envy whenever her sister hung all over him but she knew in her heart that probably neither of them would ever have him. This stung her though, even now, and as she turned away, a tear escaped in a path down her cheek. She brushed it away, thoughtlessly, and quickly scurried out of the inn-room, leaving her sister in a pit of wonder and confusion at why she had left so hurriedly.