Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ And The Kid Who Just Stands Tonight ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The soft trees loomed around Tira as she advanced towards the camp, clutching her soft silky kimono around herself. Although her body felt strengthened, it was her heart's turn to feel weak. Just the very thought of Marron being hurt scathed her feelings more than the hot water she'd been lounging in moments before. Marron was too sweet, too precious, and now too important to her, and she could not allow him to be hurt. Tira remembered when she had wanted Carrot to protect her, wanted him to feel that same love she had burning inside of her. Sighing, Tira kept walking along the path that was fringed with ferns. Perhaps Marron felt nothing towards her as well. Just like Carrot. Tears painfully pricked her eyes as she watched her feet, considering this possibility, walking slowly, slowly across the path where little stones dotted the land like freckles. Why was her love always fucking unrequited? She would be doomed this way.

"Oi." The familiar, warm baritone that could only belong to a hunky blonde welcomed her. Tira glanced up, dragging her eyes away from the ground. A simple few feet away, in a tiny clearing, Marron and Gateau sat perched rather close together on stones that formed a little circle. Gateau had his arm wrapped gently around Marron's shoulders, and Marron wasn't flinching at all. In fact, he was almost painfully still. A low candle of envy relit itself deep inside Tira, and she fumed inwardly. She quickly advanced over to take her own seat among the little enclosure of rocks.

Marron's back had been turned towards her, but now she could see him closer. Tira brushed off a flat rock directly across from Marron and sat gently. She looked at Marron, scanning carefully to catch any obscurities that presented themselves. She had to make sure Marron wasn't severely hurt. She had to know that Marron was all right. What she saw up close horrified her.

Marron had always been pale, but now his skin was a pure bone-white and very thin. She could see the bones of his knuckles as he clung to the rock hard; seemingly afraid he would slip off. He stared off into nothingness, not with a casual aura, as always, but with a defined deliberation that was almost scary. The most shocking thing of all was that his beloved gold-glinted eyes had now melted to a fluorescent blue. Tira almost choked when Marron averted his eyes to her. His eyes were a cold, disturbing blue that glared at her with what looked like vengeance. But he said nothing.

"What..happened?" Tira gasped out, tearing her eyes away from the magnet Marron's altered form produced and looked over at Gateau. Gateau looked at the moist dark ground beneath them, and didn't say anything. Tira waited.

"Marron was," Gateau started, lightly kicking some dirt with his boot, "hurt during the battle, and, well, there were some side effects." He lowered his voice at the last part, and tried to force a smile. Jocks can't do this, however, and so all Gateau could manage was a weak grimace.

"Marron," Tira turned to the deadly staring Marron, "Are you okay?" Marron acknowledged her with a brief blink of his bright azure eyes.

"Ti-ra." Marron whispered, and he choked. He looked so weak, as if something was taking him over. Even his heavy robes showed that he was shivering underneath, perched there on the flat rock. Suddenly he started violently squirming, and he slipped off the rock, landing in the dirt. Gateau flew to his feet, and tried to pick him up. Marron was breathing rapidly, and Tira couldn't guess what in the hell was going on. She rushed to Marron's side, where Gateau was holding Marron gently.

"What's the matter with him?" She cried out, her heart nearly breaking as she looked at Marron's deathly cold face lying in the cusp of Gateau's folded arm. The only thing that was reminiscent of Marron's former self was that he was quiet, and his eyes and face revealed nothing. Even if his heart were being ripped out, he would never show it, Tira thought bitterly. How she longed for some hint from him. Anything.

"Agh!" A light yell escaped from Marron's lips as he endured another seizure-like convulsion, which propelled him from Gateau's arms back to the dirt a foot or so away. He was lying face down, his body bent in several unnatural areas. His back was somehow crunched upward, and Tira saw that something long and white was sticking from it. Looking at Gateau's face, Tira could tell he saw the slender bone-like object as well. Tira came forward, and crouched on the ground near Marron's back. His face was turned to the side, and his starkly beautiful, frightening eyes were closed, thankfully. Gateau sat on the other side and they examined Marron.

"What is it?" Gateau narrowed his eyes, tenderly tracing the protruding object that stuck out of Marron's shoulder like a sword. "Ew," he lamented, pulling his fingers away. "It's sticky."

"Let's tear his robes a little so we can see it better," Tira suggested lightly. "You'd probably like that," she added with a hint of sarcasm that was lost on Gateau. He simply brightened a tiny bit.

"I hope Marron's okay." He whispered, as he tore the now ill-fitting robe that had been wrenched around the long slender bone of white. Tira helped him pull the back of the robe completely off, and they tossed it to the side. Both their breaths were stifled instantly as they saw what was littering Marron's narrow back.

Feathers.

The base of the bone that projected out of Marron's back was covered in a slight down that ruffled in the soft wind that rustled beyond the trees. The feathers, sticky and wet, were woven beautifully together, like that of a bird, and one touch proved they were real. They smelled like the land after the rain, a peaceful earth scent. But it was overall alarming. Gateau stood up, raising his hands to his face in terrible anxiety.

"What," he said, shaking, "What is this?" He looked at Tira painfully. He wanted a real answer.

Tira couldn't find the words to say. She didn't know what was happening to Marron, either. She had no clue why Marron had become paler, why his eyes had turned blue, or why he was sprouting a wing behind his left shoulder. But she did know that this wasn't the true Marron. Had the true one already died? Or was this just the beginning of the end?

Before she had a chance to think of some comforting words, surprisingly, Marron saved her. He struggled to get up, his one bony wing causing some atrocities. He fought to stand, and since his robes proved to be an obstacle, he took his nails and ripped them, letting them fall in a shredded heap to the forest floor. He stood before Tira and Gateau, starkly but beautifully naked, without the slightest hint of shame. His hair fell around him in glistening tendrils, and then Tira realized what Marron had become.

"Gateau, Tira," Marron murmured, his voice like a chime. His eyes had softened, but he still had that intense azure stare that startled her and Gateau both. He stretched, his wing reaching several feet above him. In the last brief moments, the bone of the wing had encompassed skin and feathers into an entirety, and now it was graciously completed. Marron was completed. His pain had vanished, as does the bitter frost that disappears when the sun warms the land.

Gateau couldn't stop staring. Tira waved her hand rapidly over his eyes, and got no response. Oh boy, she thought with a cynical roll of her eyes. One dose of Marron being naked, and Gateau's out cold. But when she herself really looked at Marron, she also felt a strange sense of longing that welled like a festered sore inside her. Marron stood quietly, as he always did, not noticing how her eyes darted up and down him. He merely smiled.

Tira couldn't imagine what Carrot and Chocolate would think, and a part of her didn't want to know. Leaving this thought in the dust, she turned away from the renewed, happily naked Marron and sat back down on the rock while Gateau drooled. She had some thinking to do, about everything. She was relieved now that Marron was okay but what about later? There was always tomorrow, she reminded herself. And there were more questions. Marron had turned into a half-breed and there had to be some reason why. Had Lady Creme somehow altered Marron's entire existence? There was no telling. Tira turned to look again at Marron, who simply stood his vanilla skin startling in the green pastels of the forest. He emitted a brief smile, his white wing of loose feathers outstretched towards the sky above. Tira felt bitterly disheartened. She knew something devastating was happening that she would regret for the rest of her life.