Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ Against All Odds ❯ One-shot ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
:: Against All Odds ::

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

Disclaimer: I don't own Sorcerous Stabber Orphen or any of the characters mentioned.

Rating: G

Pairings: Cleao/Licorice

Warnings: SSOR spoilers, shoujo ai, mild angst

Notes: Eh, it's not one of my better works, but the idea came to me after I finished chapter 12 of Silken Fire. *shrug* Anyway, it's shoujo ai (about time we had one -.-) and it may be a tad depressing, but nothing to sob over unless you're extremely sensitive.

If she ever reads this, I dedicate this to Miyuki Mina, the only other Cleao/Licorice fan I know. ^^;




Outside the beautifully framed window was a crescent moon, shimmering and throwing a sliver of light across the intricately decorated room. It was a beautiful place upon sight, perhaps a bit extravagant, but stylishly done well. There was a clutter of feminine items; a dresser with many childish hair accessories, several brushes, a perfect, unsmudged mirror, cushioned chairs, a table for teatime, and this was only half of what was in there. The room was large, and in it she felt so small.

Licorice Neilson sat alone on the queen-sized bed, her knees bent toward her chest and her hands clutching the pink, silken bedspread to her breast. Her normally innocently sweet expression was downcast and depressed, her brown eyes hazy behind large, circular framed glasses. She was grateful for the hospitality; she really was. However...

Soft knocking jarred the young girl from her thoughts, and she looked up. Wavy brown hair spilled down her back, bangs brushing her eyebrows. "Come in," she called in a soft, childishly high-pitched voice.

The enormous white door creaked open. A tiny smile came to Licorice's face as Cleao entered, smiling brightly and wearing only a nightgown and a robe. "You're not asleep yet?" her blonde friend asked, padding over barefoot to her friend's bedside.

"I've been thinking," the brunette replied.

Cleao 'hmm'ed softly, crawling onto the bed without asking for permission, resting on her knees. The two had become the best of friends in such a short time, before they knew it, almost. In that time they had come to read each other well enough so that Cleao didn't have to feign politeness when she didn't feel like exercising it. Likewise, Licorice had grown comfortable enough so that she could chastise the irresponsible girl when it was absolutely necessary.

They were practically each other's opposite, but neither cared. Perhaps that was what made them so close in the first place.

"Thinking? About what?" Cleao asked, though both knew that she already knew the answer to that. It was a subject that was rude to bring up, but it was the blonde's way of showing concern.

Licorice sighed, smoothing the covers down her legs. "The past few days. About what Rina did. What Orphen-san did for me and my family. What you did for my sister."

"But you're okay, right?" Cleao asked softly, pity and understanding clear in her crystalline eyes.

"No," Licorice whispered brokenly, bowing her head. Her hands tightened on the covers. "How can I be?"

"You're right," Cleao said, resting a hand on Licorice's smooth arm. She moved her hand in a soothing rubbing motion and then Licorice threw herself into her arms, tears spilling from her clenched eyes as she began to sob. "I'm so sorry," Cleao whispered, pressing her face into the girl's hair.

Licorice's tiny hands fisted Cleao's robes as she cried. "They were all I had left, Cleao." Her shoulders shook violently and Cleao embraced her tightly, moving her hand over her close friend's pajama-covered back. "Otousan, Oneechan... They d-died and left me all alone!"

A small smile crossed Cleao's pretty features. She wasn't the least bit insulted; Licorice had just lost the only family she'd had, and for the longest time -- almost a year -- she hadn't remembered them. It had to hurt to lose them so quickly, so abruptly...

"I'm so sorry," was all she could say, and rock her while she cried. She could hardly empathize; she still had her mother and sister, and even without them she knew she always had Orphen and Majic to fall back on for support-- if she truly needed it. But to not have anyone... That must be the most frightening thing in the world, Cleao thought.

It was long before Licorice had calmed herself down, and by the time she did both were tired. It was late, and the moon was hardly visible from window-standpoint anymore.

"Cleao..." The blonde made a noise to show she was listening, still holding the younger girl close. She could feel her heartbeat through the back of Licorice's nightgown, pounding rapidly under tense muscles. "When are you, Orphen-san and Majic-san leaving again?"

"Hmm," she murmured thoughtfully. "The day after tomorrow, if I recall correctly." She smiled sweetly. "But I'm not going if you're going to live here with us, silly. Unless you want to come with--"

"I'm leaving."

Cleao blinked, startled. "Pardon?" she inquired softly, hoping she was misinterpreting.

Licorice sighed, pulling away as she pulled off her wet glasses, wiping her eyes first and then her glasses on her nightdress. "I'm leaving. I'm going to travel alone and see what I can do with myself. I have no job, no income--"

"You don't need to worry about that with us," Cleao protested, grabbing her dear friend by the shoulders. "Okaasan doesn't care about it. Really. And we could live together like sisters--"

"That's why it won't work," Licorice broke in, wincing at her rudeness. "Oh, Cleao, please forgive me... But after losing Oneechan... I can't..." She shook her head mournfully. "I just can't imagine living with another family. I just need to be alone for a while."

"Licorice..." Cleao trailed off, knowing it would be no use arguing with the girl. Licorice seemed the type to sway easily, but she was really very stubborn. It frustrated Cleao, and she wished she could cry, too.

"I will miss you, Cleao."

The blonde sighed and leaned forward, her forehead resting against the younger girl's as she gazed into her pretty brown eyes. Blonde curls fell over her shoulder with the movement. "I can't change your mind, can I?" she whispered.

Licorice forced a smile. "No. I learned it from you. And I don't want to hurt Orphen-san, or Majic-san again... Or you at all."




"I'm sorry to see you leave."

Licorice turned, suitcase in hand, as she smiled brightly at her three companions. She bowed low in respect. "Thank you for putting up with me, everyone. And I'm sorry," she added, peering up at Orphen. "For causing you so much trouble."

The amber-eyed sorcerer waved it off, muttering, "Don't worry about it."

Cleao stepped forward, trying to smile so the two boys wouldn't worry. Majic kept a respectful distance, sweet smile lifting the corners of his mouth. Orphen glanced around as though uncomfortable about something. "I'll miss you."

The pigtailed girl straightened up, smoothing out the wrinkles in her violet dress. "I'll miss you, too, Cleao."

The blonde stepped forward, now ignoring the two behind her. "Promise to write," she said softly.

"I promise." Licorice blinked in surprise as Cleao grabbed one of her hands, looking intently into her eyes. "Really," she insisted, feeling a pang of regret. They really had grown so close. It hurt to leave, but it was something she knew she had to do.

Cleao sighed, saying in her normal loud tone, "Well, I'm going to find you again. You don't have a choice. Someday I'll see you again, all right?"

The younger girl smiled and was going to respond, but Cleao's expression was serious and intent. She faltered, and blushed when a chaste kiss was pressed to her forehead. "Cleao..."

"Promise."

Licorice nodded, pinpricks of tears in the corner of her eyes. Then she had to pull away; the carriage was there. Cleao's fingers lingered on hers for a moment, and then they were separated.

"Good-bye."

As she rode off, Licorice sagged against the inner door of the carriage, burying her face in her hands as she cried softly. Tears were all she could shed, and yet somehow even that didn't feel like enough. All she knew now was, no matter where life took her from here, she would have to keep her promise and see Cleao again, against all odds.