Spider Riders Fan Fiction ❯ In a Moment ❯ Sudden Feelings ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Spider Riders. It belongs to a combination of Bee Train, Koichi Mashimo, Yosuke Kuroda, Cookie Jar, Tedd Anasti, Stephen D. Sullivan, Funimation, Teletoon and probably others.
AN: Somehow, I managed to mix both the English and Japanese versions. After a while, it all blends together I suppose. Also, I've already completed the fic, so no waiting. Kind of a habit of mine, because I feel if I start to post unfinished works, I won't have the motivation to complete them. Takes place before the Nuuma voyage arc, though it's AU anyway, so I suppose that doesn't matter too much.
Chapter 1: Sudden Feelings
While it unintentionally led to the emotional suffering of several others, there was a burning feeling that Aqune simply couldn't shake off. It concerned the human boy Hunter Steele. Despite being one herself, Aqune wasn't too fond of humans. They had hurt her in the past, or at least as much of it as she could remember. Along with that were the things that Buguese had told her. She was never certain whether she should trust the Insector man, but then again, she really had no reason for this uncertainty. He was her mentor and despite his cold attitude, he obviously cared about her. He hated the humans though, especially the Spider Riders, especially Hunter. He too had been wronged by them.
This wasn't about Buguese though. It was about Hunter. Sure, he was a human, but something about him just seemed a bit… different. It was this boy who cared about her and fought to protect her from the Insectors. Whether or not she wanted or needed this was questionable. Aqune herself didn't know. Even still, Hunter was there. He was often on her mind. Just maybe, Aqune had feelings for him. It was during the most recent battle against the Spider Riders when this thought really became apparent to her. Aqune has possession of one of the Oracle Keys, which she had been told were very important. However, she returned it to Hunter. Now the Spider Riders were in possession of two while the Insectors had only one.
Aqune knew that Buguese was angered by this. Indeed, she felt some regret for the decision; But some was not enough. She was happy that the Spider Riders had the key, even though they were her enemies. Yes, she felt maybe this could be because she loved Hunter, but maybe not. She wasn't even sure what love felt like.
It was early morning, a gloomy, cloudy day in Arachna. That didn't affect much in the Insectors world, seeing how there, darkness was an everyday occurrence. It affected Aqune to an even lesser extent. Like any ordinary day, she spent her time kneeling in front of the Oacle shrine, chanting. She didn't even notice the figure standing behind her. It was Buguese, watching her. He wore an expression of great disdain, not for Aqune, but for the Oracle. Soon, he could no longer remain silent.
“Aqune…” he called in his usual cold tone. He clearly had something that he needed to be accomplished and would need Aqune to help him accomplish. Aqune turned around. She was used to this, but it still took her by surprise at times.
“Yes?” she replied.
“It's time to go,” he responded. “I suspect that the Spider Riders will soon be traveling to Numa. The journey is very long and dangerous. Mantid-sama believes that it would be best if we crush them before hand, as it would be a lot less difficult for us.”
“Yes,” said Aqune, nodding. She followed Buguese to their destination, neither of them speaking to the other.
“Retrieve for me the Oracle Keys,” instructed Buguese.
“Right… master!” Aqune answered. She wasn't even wearing her mask at the time, but her mind was too uncertain to think clearly, to consider questioning Buguese. She went ahead, not sure what she would be getting into, not sure how she felt, not sure how she would face Hunter. It would be an inevitable occurrence though, that Aqune was certain of.
The Riders, Aqune saw, were very unsuspecting. It was obvious that they had other things on their mind than fighting the Insectors and protecting the Oracle Keys at the time. Arachna had suffered from the previous battle. Many of the guards and soldiers had been injured, so they were being taken care of. This in turn meant that the security was weak. It didn't take much effort for her to get in because of that. She saw within the walls of Arachna, the boy who had been on her mind, the Earthen Spider Rider Hunter. But he wasn't alone. Beside him was another, the female Spider Rider Corona. The two seemed to be moving closer together. Hunter pulled in his face closer still and kissed her.