Spider Riders Fan Fiction ❯ In a Moment ❯ The Fateful Battle ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2- The Fateful Battle
“Buguese… was right,” said Aqune. “The humans… they are our enemy. I didn't want to be hurt by them ever again!”
Buguese headed toward her. Aqune noticed an unhidable expression of annoyance on his face, but also a bit of concern.
“Mantid-sama only gave us so much time,” said Buguese. He placed his hand on Aqune's shoulder, who didn't resist. He then adorned her with her mask and motioned for her to move on with him. “Now go, kill them!”
Soon enough, they were spotted. Everything was going according to plan.
“It's the Insectors!” announced Igneous, trying to gather the Spider Riders for battle. Hunter may have been with Corona earlier, but that was earlier. When he saw a chance to battle as a Spider Rider and protect the people of Arachna, he was always ready to transform and fight.
“Oracle power!” he called, transforming. Corona, Igneous and Lumen each chanted their respective transformation words.
“Spider out!” they all yelled in unison as their arachnid partners appeared before them.
“Buguese, you're never going to learn, are you?” Hunter asked teasingly.
“Hunter Steele, soon you will regret taking the Oracle Keys from us. However, much as I'd love to be the one to crush you, I'll allow someone else to do that for me today!” He smiled evilly, watching as Aqune lashed out at Hunter as if on queue.
“It's you again!” shouted Hunter. “Aqune, we don't have to fight like this!”
Of course, Aqune didn't listen and continued attacking.
“I guess we'll have to get rid of your mask again,” Hunter declared.
“Already on it!” replied Corona, smiling. An arrow flew at Aqune, but she hit it away with her lance.
“How troublesome,” said Lumen. “I think we should get this over with. Plus, I suppose she is a cute girl. Ebony!”
Before Aqune could make a move to defend herself, she felt webs wrap around her face. The next thing she knew, her mask had been sliced into several pieces that lay on the floor.
“Way to go Lumen!” Hunter exclaimed.
“Thank you,” Lumen responded, though he didn't sound very modest about it.
“Aqune, are you alright?” asked Hunter.
Aqune wasn't sure. She felt the usual shock that came when she was freed from the mask's influence, but she was aware of the situation before her. She had fought against the Spider Riders and lost once again. Before her now was Hunter Steele, showing concern for her once again. He had hurt her earlier, but not on purpose. Still, she cared about him and he had hurt her.
“Um… Aqune…” Hunter questioned.
“No, I'm not okay! I hate the humans!” Aqune snapped. She looked at Buguese for direction, a solution. She couldn't find any simply by reading his face. Buguese seemed slightly amused, but perhaps a bit frustrated as well. Mostly though, he looked surprised.
“Buguese…” Aqune began. “What are your orders?”
“We cam here to retrieve the Oracle Keys and finish off the Spider Riders,” replied Buguese. “If you will not do it then I will.”
“No,” Aqune replied. “I will fight them.” Aqune proceeded to attack them. First in her line of attack was Hunter, which contented her at the moment. Ultimately, she still didn't want to hurt Hunter, but at the time, she felt it was what had to be done.
“Aqune, listen! We got rid of your mask.” Called Corona, hoping to stop her from attacking Hunter, whom she too cared deeply for. Without saying a word, Aqune diverted her aggression toward Corona. Them something happened.
Both were fighting hard, Aqune as the aggressor and Corona on the defense. Both felt the power of the Oracle very strongly. She was suffering, they could tell more than anyone. Hunter couldn't stand to watch them fight. He ran in, weapon in hand, to stop them. Aqune and Corona felt the Oracle's presence stronger still. She was telling them to stop. The timing was all wrong. Once again, it wasn't intentional and it wasn't near as badly as the previous time, but once again, Hunter had hurt Aqune. He slashed her in the side with his weapon. Aside from the immediate shock, Aqune's wound didn't hurt much immediately. However, in a retaliation bought upon by reflexes alone, her own weapon struck Corona, impaling her. Blood began to spew.