Star Ocean (All Series) Fan Fiction ❯ Far From a Fairytale ❯ Irony ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirteen: Irony
 
A/N: Hello there everyone! First off, I just want to say thanks to my reviewers:
 
BATTLE KING: Thanks for the review and you're welcome on the heads up when it comes to other Alphia fanfics. ^ ^ ::Blushes:: You really were too kind in your review.
 
Raman man: ::Blushes:: You were too kind in your review too, but thank you anyway. It really means a lot to me! ^.^
 
and second off, I'd like to explain the poem that I wrote in the previous chapter:
 
That day was spent…
Not at school…
Not at work…
 
This first part of the poem was to tell of the day the poem was taking place on (basically the same day that chapter 11 took place on).
 
Contradictions met and blended…
 
This line was meant to describe the relationship of Albel and Sophia, one that is full of contradictive things, yet always works out in the end.
 
Dark ruby and deep emerald…
 
To put it quite simply-the eye colors of Albel and Sophia (in the specific order).
 
Splashes of morning, midday, and night intertwined…
 
Morning was used here to describe Albel's blond hair, while night was used for his black hair, and midday was the perfect word to use for Sophia's brown hair and the sentence tells of how all the strands of hair are tangled together.
 
Pale touches of skin…
Shadowy trails of kisses…
Heated connections of two souls…
 
Here I was describing a make-out scene between Sophia and Albel. Though, I decided to do it in a tasteful and poetic way. The same can be said for:
 
Passion and pleasure…
Melded together when…
That void was filled.
 
The only difference being that this is the poetic string of words to imply that they had sex (to put it bluntly).
 
Okay, so after explaining that poem and making sure that everyone understands it and after writing an incredibly long A/N…On to the story. : )
 
(-)-(-)
 
Yesterday was a day of preparation or, at least, that was how Peppita saw it. All three of them had stayed home, had bonded like a true family, and had spoke of the reason why they no longer wanted to return to the future. Yes, yesterday had prepared her, prepped her, for this rather large twist of irony in her life. To begin, let us examine the most commonly used definition of irony:
 
Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs
 
Never a truer word had Peppita decided to use in order to explain an event before. For, what occurred on that day could only be said as a bit of irony, or perhaps poetic justice, then again…what was the true difference between the two anyway? Oh, yeah, that's right-poetic justice:
 
The rewarding of virtue and the punishment of vice, often in an especially appropriate or ironic manner
 
So, maybe poetic justice would fit this situation that Peppita had found herself in; then again, irony seemed to have overridden poetic justice by just a little bit. And thus, the winner for the young teenager's predicament was irony. What was the predicament the said girl found herself in, you ask? Oh, to put it simply, for class all the student's would have to research the origin of a certain book and also read a remade version of this aforementioned tale.
 
What was the story/tale that the childish teenaged female was forced to read? Well, it was…
 
(-)-(-)
 
Life must have hated her; that was the one and only conclusion that Nel was able to deduce from the events in her life recently. First, two of her friends disappear and one person whom she only slightly respected enough that she could stand his presence for only just-vanished too. Second, her other friends now seemed lost to her too, almost as if they had slipped in between the thin air around them like the other three; truly it scared her by how easily their little group fell apart when they were not all present. Now, for the last event that should be mentioned for why life seemed to enjoy the twisted games it played on her…By some means she now found comfort in Cliff.
 
Cliff, the man who annoyed her more than any other (she would have made Albel be the exception, yet the way in which she was annoyed with Albel was different from how Cliff annoyed her). And yet, through such hard times she found that when she bickered with him, when he teased her, and when she fought back, her spirits lifted if only just. Her situation would end with a sigh and laughs of relief that would flood her and had let her escape the depression that chocked the joy from the air around them all. He distracted her and entertained her; him with his playful nature and her with her no-nonsense one. They happened to be on opposite ends of the spectrum, yet, she didn't mind as much anymore.
 
Plus, he knew when he had to be serious and he also knew when to be sweet. Ever since she had first met Cliff he always flirted with her, tried to gain her attention, and acted pretty much like a complete idiot in her presence. Nevertheless, she was told that he was smart-somewhere in that brain of his was hidden some form of knowledge-she had always assumed that it was a lie. Until the past two weeks.
 
He teased her now, not for his own amused purposes, but because he saw how she needed to be distracted. He used observational skills of some kind and it made her come to the realization that he was a man of intelligence. Such intelligence, in fact, that he knew when and where to hid it away from others. Upon this conclusion Nel could only wonder if that meant that Cliff held a more…darker….side then the one that he showed to all the others. It made her doubt the comfort she gained from him, made her ponder over the theory that he just used her truly for his own escape from the situation at hand.
 
Her theory formed was blown out of her mind on that day though. That day after Fayt had kissed Mirage. For on that day, without any lascivious intentions, Cliff had wrapped his arms her waist. Brought her close to him…and showed her that dark side to him, but that murky intention she figured hid away there, wasn't quite a true assessment. All that Cliff said, with shadowy eyes was, “You're mine.” There was no tease or joke in his tone and a look upon his face was one that Nel had never seen on it before. At last, that part of Cliff that the others talked about, but she had never seen, shown through. A part of himself that he mostly kept locked away was unlocked just for her.
 
It made her feel special.
 
It made her feel so special, in fact, that she repeated the words back as she leaned into his touch, which tightened itself around her form. In that moment she could forget how this man had aggravated her, pined after her, and was the total opposite of her. In that moment she could forget the whole irony of the moment she found herself in or, perhaps, was this moment one of poetic justice. Nel felt herself relax; eyelids grow heavy, for once in her life she didn't feel the need to scout out an answer to a question. After all, there was always time for firsts, and this would happen to be a first for her-she didn't care if she had all the facts, she would go by pure instinct when it came to Cliff from now on.
 
(-)-(-)
 
What was the story/tale that the childish teenaged female was forced to read? Well, it was…Beauty and the Beast.
 
Of course this would be the book she was bound to read for educational purposes. Life wasn't that nice, nor was it that easy, certain things always had (and always will) have a way to come back to you. No matter how far you may run and no matter the speed at which you do; some things are just chained to you. Chained to you through the one word known as irony:
 
Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs
 
Peppita had expected to come across the book at one point or another, yet, the way the book finally made itself into her content life that-my friends-was what made this circumstance ironic. And, right then, there wasn't a single word that Peppita could have hated more.
 
(-)-(-)
 
A/N: The end of yet another chapter. Only two more actual chapters and then the epilogue, after that, this fic shall be finished. I'll be sad when it's all over, but I'll be content at the same time. I'm happy with this piece of work, so, I want to make sure I don't drag it out too long or anything, and plus, after this I'm going to need a break from fanfic writing (at least novel length fanfics anyway). I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and please read and review! Take care. : D
 
-LilyGinnyBlack-