Star Wars - Series Fan Fiction ❯ "You're not alone... " ❯ An uncalled for connection ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

SPOILER ALERT!

A/N: This is a fanfic I made after watching Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi so it will contain spoilers of the movie. Those who haven’t seen the movie now is the time to STOP right on your tracks and consider if you really don’t mind getting spoiled on a great film. This is my first fanfic in almost 8 years, so excuse me if im a little rusty or if I get redundant on my narrative. Also, feel free to suggest any changes and obviously as graduate student I’m open to constructive criticism and grammar correction. Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing.

 

Disclaimer: I don’t own Star Wars or any of the characters, some of the content in the fanfic was taken directly from the movie, but most of the story came from my own mind after watching endless theories and whatnot. Again, enjoy! J

 

Prologue

           

The heaviness in the air was almost palpable. She felt cold, something tugging at her very soul and somehow calling her name in a way she’d heard before. Rey took a moment to breathe and understand what was happening perhaps within herself. And before she knew what was happening, Kylo Ren sat across from her. He was not wearing his mask, and she could see the mark she had left on his face, and his pale complexion fluorescent under the lights of the room he was currently in. The surprise in his eyes matched the one she was feeling and without a second thought her instincts kicked in and with fear clutching her every sense she grabbed the laser gun she slept with and shot the man across from her. The last thing she saw before it all faded away was the man flinch and bend over in pain. Breathing hard she sat there as sweat rolled down her forehead and the adrenaline settled. There was no one there. There had never been anyone there but a hole she had blasted in the wall of her hut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Millions of light years away…

 

            It had been her. Bearing that same look she had bore on the forest the night of their encounter at Starkiller base. A look that promised vengeance and blood, the look of someone who was only one cut away from entering a darkness that would haunt a heart forever. Kylo Ren sat in silence, after inspecting his body for any damage. There had been none, and maybe the pain he had felt had been a reflex, his body reacting before an upcoming shot that had never been there. He closed his eyes and breathed in, trying to concentrate on what he had felt when he had seen her, because he was pretty certain she had been there, and the smell and feeling of wherever she had been was too familiar. He got up and ran outside the room to simply enter a slightly crowded hallway in Starkiller base. She was gone, just like the pain on his stomach. Dismissing his thoughts for the time being, Kylo walked back to the room gathered his belongings and walked back to his own quarters, there was no time for such trivialities when he was powerless as to why they had begun in the first place. Other matter called to his attention, and after just being called a “failure” his mood wasn’t exactly one for lollygagging.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

            Rey had been working all day, following Luke around had proven to be quite a mission and physically demanding activity, but nothing she was not used to. Her days back on Jakku had not been any kinder, but the physical activity over the barren desert land did not include shifts in the weather and atmosphere and the inhabitants of the island proved to be just as unfriendly as those in Jakku. She sat on the edge of the rocks, looking over at the sea, trying to draw back a memory of a dream where she stood in a place much like this one and stared into a vastness of pure blue contrast between sea and sky. But her mind found itself blank; her earlier daydream (or more like daymare) with Kylo had left her uneasy and scared. She was not afraid of the boy, of course not, she was afraid of the things he incited in her, blood, violence, vengeance and death. She was not accustomed to feeling so overwhelmed by those dark feelings, even when she could not deny her short temper and volatile attitude. She did not want to see him again, unless she was armed with a saber ready to take his life, the same way he had taken-

 

“Rey!” Luke stood on the other side of the mountain, his silver hair blown by the wind and his old robes making him look like a ghost. She grinned at him and raised her arm to acknowledge him. She got up and made her way back to Luke down the mountain. The day was just beginning apparently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Kylo sat down on his own chambers, trying hard to concentrate on finding the scavenger girl. He knew perfectly well that what he had seen earlier had not been pure chance, and even when he had told himself not to be distracted by such pettiness he it had also occurred to him that she was the way to Luke Skywalker, she was once again the one who held what he needed at the moment. He had to find her, surely the Force would aid in that, because regardless of Light or Dark the Force worked in the same way, it knew no difference from Evil or Good, and that worked just fine with kylo. He had closed his eyes and had begun to reach out, but he only found himself floating in darkness, in billions of stars and an endless path of planets. He was engulfed by the eternity of the galaxy, and he felt as if he was just a lost boy in the woods, with a seemingly endless road to go ahead and endless possibilities for roads. Grunting in frustration Kylo opened his eyes again. It has his father, over and over, dead; even dead the old man was still trouble for him. Kylo could not erase that look in his father face as the life faded away from his eyes. How could someone be so foolish? How could he have trusted him? Him, the grandson of Darth Vader, the new rising Sith, how could right after being stabbed right in the heart, the man look at him with love and forgiveness?

 

“Damn you Han Solo!!” Kylo screamed the walls, covering his face with his hands, he felt so ashamed, where instead of strength and darkness should have been, he felt lost and shattered, and he knew that no matter what he had already began a journey down a path he could not turn back from. And this weakness; surely Supreme Leader Snoke could sense, there was nothing that Kylo could hide from his master, no matter how much he wanted to.