Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Suikoden - The Dunan Wars ❯ Beginning of Disaster ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7 - Beginning of Disaster

He arrived at the camp, looking as mighty as ever; all proud and rich. Behind him, Durimal and Galen followed suit on his own horse. Everyone stood up straight just as soon as the Prince came near them. They gave the Highland salute to the Prince as he passed by. The Prince's face, grim and unmoved, just ignored all these shows of respect and moved on.

He never even acknowledges his own underling, thought Galen. I wonder how he did get a whole cult of followers under him?

They stopped in front of a tent. It was the largest tent around the camp and had four guards standing out front to protect it. Prince Ruka stood down of his horse and passed it to a soldier.

"Get the horse ready. As soon as this is over, I'm moving out," Ruka said to the soldier.

Durimal and Galen also got off their horses and let it be tended by a soldier.

"The same thing as the Prince" said Galen, and the soldier nodded and brought the horse away.

They walked into the tent, where they saw Solon Jhee, Oleg Magnusson, Culgan, Kiba, Justan, Grayton and Klaus standing in the middle of the tent, and Seed pacing around the war room table, awaiting for the Prince's arrival.

"I'm sorry I'm late, but I had some business to attend to" he said and nudged his head towards the direction of the entrance as Durimal and Galen entered. Galen saw everybody looking at him and nodded and started to move in.

He looked around the tent. The tent was full off maps and documents and papers. There were quill pens and charcoal pencils all around the tent. A clear show that this was the tent used for military conduct and planning. He smiled as he found it all homely and comfortable inside the tent. He sat down right beside Solon Jhee, and Ruka sat down beside him. He looked around the table.

Seed glanced over at the Prince; he knew Ruka wouldn't be pleased. He approached the prince and bowed slightly. "My apologies Lord Ruka, I had some personal affairs L'Renouille to handle."

Ruka stood up, walked to Seed, and gritted his teeth, "I cannot stand for this tardiness. You are supposed to be here before me, and not let me and the others wait."

Seed noticed the killer look in Ruka's eye flare up. He began to tighten his muscles as Ruka swiftly made a kick at Seed's stomach. Seed doubled over and landed in a crouch. He looked up at the prince, raising his lip, "Again lord Ruka. My apologies, I can assure you I will never allow such a thing happen again." Seed said.

"Make sure of it," Ruka said and turned around to go and sit down at the table. Seed got to his feet and walked over to his seat next to Justan and Klaus. It was a good thing his muscles were tightened; the pain wasn't as bad as it could have been. He took his seat.

"Now then, I want this to finish fast. What is the plan?" Ruka asked.

Klaus immediately put out a little map on the table with a couple of figures drawn into the map, "Here is what me and Justan had planned: we were thinking that there would be two wave attacks, one wave being to get their defence down and unready, and the other wave will deliver the killing blow. The first wave would consist of Generals Culgan and Kiba, led by General Seed with Justan and me assisting and Solon Jhee out of sight."

Justan suddenly interrupted, "Having the first wave to lose purposely will have the Mercenaries defences down afterwards."

Everyone looked at him, Kiba mouthing the words, "Waste of time," but going unnoticed. Galen nodded, "Yes, after the battle, they'd think they had won, and then we would move in for a surprise attack. Excellent idea, Justan."

Ruka smiled and then proceed, "Good. Put Solon Jhee into the first wave then. There is a sure-fire chance for us to purposely lose with him in there."

Solon looked at the Prince's face with bewilderment. Then turned back to the table, unsure of what type of face to show.

"All right," Klaus continued, "The first wave will lose then, General Kiba, General Solon Jhee and General Culgan will start the wave."

"Near the end of the first wave I will retreat back to Ruka's position," Seed said, only to be interrupted by Ruka.

"No, you and Justan will be in the second wave, but not with me. During the first wave, I shall be in hiding at the front of the fortress. They'd never expect the next attack to be from the other side. You stay on this side of the fortress and start the second wave. Give me a sign when you start it out."

"What type of sign my lord?"

"Be creative, and make sure it's something I can understand and know." He said and got up, "Durimal and Galen will be accompanying me on my side. It is time for me to leave for hiding. The sooner we finish this, the better."

Durimal stood up with Galen following suit and the Prince proceeded to go outside while Durimal was bowing to the Generals and then followed the prince from behind. The whole table looked from inside as the Prince called out for his horse and got up on it. After the Prince had left to get his armies ready, they all looked back at the table and looked at themselves.

Culgan pulled back the flap to his battle tent as Roland followed him in.

"So Lord Culgan, are you prepared to lose?" Roland asked, smirking.

Culgan turned around to face Roland, not smiling. "Roland, that wasn't appropriate. Remember, we're about to go into battle, we need to keep serious." Culgan replied, turning back around.

"Sorry Lord Culgan...but to interrupt our mental preparedness for a minute, don't you think Lord Ruka was out of line with Lord Seed?"

Culgan let out a sudden laugh. "Roland, you were once one of Lord Ruka's finest White Wolf lieutenants. Don't you know Lord Ruka's actions by now?"

"Yes, but even for Lord Ruka, that was out of line. He completely embarrassed..."

"I understand Roland," Culgan interrupted. "But let's concentrate on the upcoming battle. Go rally together the archers."

"Yes, Lord Culgan." Roland replied as he turned around and left the tent.

Culgan sighed. "I fear this is only the beginning of this reincarnated war." he thought.

"Damn, I lost again," Stiles stated.

"Hmm?" inquired Seed.

"I said that is the third time I lost in a row. Today just isn't my day."

Seed walked over to Stiles and reached his arm out, helping him off the ground. "You had best make it your day Stiles, because before the next few days are over, you are going to wish you never joined the army."

Stiles brushed off the dirt and soot from his uniform and readied his sword. "What do you mean?"

Seed followed suit and raised his sword to counter and began the fourth duel. "Oh, c'mon Stiles, look around. These mercenaries are going to be lambs to the slaughter."

"I suppose you are right" Stiles replied while countering Seed's well-directed blows.

Seed noticed a flaw in Stiles' technique and moved in, knocking his sabre from his hand and to the grassy floor.

Stiles sighed and knelt down to retrieve his weapon. "That is the fourth now, ain't it?"

Seed nodded and sheathed his sword. "Remind me to find a more competent sparring partner. But, that can wait. What have you to report on your little assignment?" he inquired.

Stiles re-sheathed his sword and followed Seed to his tent. "Yeah, I have been keeping tabs on the other generals..."

Seed stopped when he reached the tent. "And?"

"And-- What is there to say? Kiba and his men seem little worried about the battle, Solon Jhee is a little perplexed about Ruka's sudden... attacks."

"I see."

"Is something the matter, Milord?"

"Yes Stiles, something is the matter. Not that I'd expect you to understand." Seed said, storming into his tent, robe trailing behind.

Stiles' brows showed a confused look as he followed slowly behind. "Try me."

Seed glanced back and Stiles. "Fine, it's about Jillia."

"The princess Jillia?"

"No, Jillia the keeper of Toran Lake. Of course I mean the princess!"

"Well.... Last I heard, she was on a diplomatic meeting to President Lepant of Toran."

"Yeah, Stiles, that was some time ago. The last I heard was that she and Captain Rowd were returning to Highland, when they were ambushed by a small group of mercenary archers. Rowd conveniently escaped intact while the Princess was taken into their custody. The thing I want to know is if she is safe."

"But-- I mean shouldn't this be left up to the other Blights? Not to mention didn't Rowd say that she was safe?"

Seed glanced over at Stiles, cocking an eyebrow. "Really, Stiles, look at the courier. Would you take Rowd's word?"

"I think I see your point..."

"Good, now this is what I want you to do; you are to find out if Jillia is safe. I don't care how you do it. Just make sure that it happens."

"All right, I'll do what I can."

Seed found himself thinking back four years ago….

Jillia in her cell also closed her eyes and thought of an incident four years ago….

Jillia studied the map carefully. The battle was at practically a standstill. Klaus' archers were keeping up the fire arrows, but her fire crews were able to keep anything from burning for long. Her archers and slingers on the walls could easily hold Klaus' battering ram crew at bay, along with any other attempt at getting into the fort. She needed something new. She needed backup. "I still have a dozen scouts remaining, correct?" she asked.

Professor Ka-Trae nodded slowly, glancing at his records of the game.

"I'm sending half of them into the forest through the west gate to find backup," Jillia declared, "Two to the nearest town, two to recruit the mercenary company along the river, and the others across the Border to request help there."

Ka-Trae nodded with mild approval, marked it down, and turned to Klaus.

Klaus wasn't allowed to react to Jillia's most recent move, because in a real war he wouldn't know such things. But he, too, had noted that a change of strategy needed to be made. He studied the board for several minutes. "I'm pulling back all troops into the forest," he finally decided.

"What?" Jillia exclaimed, unable to keep her tongue. He was retreating?

"Hold, Jillia," Ka-Trae instructed. "Klaus, explain your tactics. I believe I know your intent, but say what you're thinking of."

Klaus blushed slightly at the attention. "Once the my troops have seemed to retreat, the enemy's guard would be dropped. My army would split into two groups and return separately. The larger group would attack the front of the fort, and while their attention was taken, the other group would attack from behind. One or the other group would probably be able to break in."

Jillia blinked. She wouldn't have thought of that.

"A good plan, Klaus," Ka-Trae commended. "Jillia, can you think of an effective defence in that situation?"

Jillia opened her mouth and closed it again. After a bit of time thinking, she said, "All I can think of is to try to reduce the invader's numbers as much as possible. I would get the remaining scouts out to warn the next closest location on my side if possible. Last, I'd destroy the fort if possible, and poison supplies. That would take out both supplies and an important base." Ka-Trae nodded, "That is probably the most reasonable response for the circumstances. In the most basic military structure, where there is no hidden escape route, that is." He began to pile his notes into a single, neat stack. "We know how this game will end. Jillia's fort is taken or destroyed and Klaus will sorely regret expending eighty percent of his supplies. The game is over. Clean up the pieces and then you may both run along." He went to collect the few notes, which had been left at the door.

Jillia and Klaus began to clean up. Jillia had nothing on her schedule yet, and Klaus wasn't really looking forward to weapon's practice. "You really spent most of your supplies on taking one fort?" she asked in a low voice.

Klaus gave a sheepish grin, "A lot of it was to bribe the neutral country into not assisting you."

"What?!" Jillia said in surprise. "Tricky. I knew you were better at this than me."

"Not really.." Klaus protested.

Ka-Trae interrupted them, "Jillia, you have formal court in half an hour. Klaus, your father wants to see you before weapons practice."

"Yes, sir," Jillia replied automatically, already calculating how much time she had to get ready.

Klaus nodded as he put away the last of the tokens. A moment later, they were running off down the hall, trying to keep up with their busy schedules.

Ka-Trae watched them leave and sighed. They made him feel so old. At the same time, teaching them was one of the most enjoyable parts of his day. He sat down at his desk and began to work on the seemingly infinite pile of paperwork.

Jillia rounded a corner, hurrying towards her room to get ready for Formal Court, when she ran right into someone who was coming from the other direction. She promptly lost her balance and fell down.

"Hey! Watch it -" At that moment, Seed looked up to see who had run into him. Sis? He paused before opening his mouth "Jillia! You have to watch where you're going." He said then offered his hand to help get up.

Jillia accepted his aid in getting to her feet. "I'm sorry, U - Captain Seed," she blushed, "I have to be in court soon."

"Ah, I see. But as a word of advice, you shouldn't run at breaking speed just to be somewhere on time," Seed grinned, "I don't know what I would do if you got hurt."

"I'm perfectly able to move without hurting myself," Jillia blushed again and smiled, "But I suppose I'll go a little slower." She looked at the clock on the wall, "I have to go now. Bye Seed!"

Seed sighed as he watched her resume the exact same speed, nearly running into someone else, towards her room. You know that you can still call me brother, right little sis? He thought and laughed. He wasn't old enough to start thinking like that, but with thinking like that he barely noticed that Jill wasn't remaining a little girl all her life.

Seed continued down the hallway as a part of his daily route. Being the captain of the palace guards was not the easiest of jobs in the Highland army. Some ignorant higher-ups in the Highland army think that it's a safe position for the weak. What they don't understand is that there is plenty dangers in the palace. But that was a different matter.

Jillia on the other hand, the royal princess of Highland. She really is like a sister to me Seed thought to himself, as he rounded a corner. I guess since both our parents were dead. At least mine are, her mother was dead. And her father was literally dead to her. As for her blood brother Ruka, he would rather her not exist to him. Her cousin Durimal is always cold to her and seemed to encourage Ruka's negativities. Sometimes I think that I'm the only one who cares for her. No. That wasn't true, there was her strategy instructor. And Kiba's son Klaus. Unlike what Jillia thinks, Agares probably really does care for her. Wow. That's ignorant of me, presuming what others think? Seed laughed softly to himself. I really do talk to myself too much.

"Your orders have changed," said the hooded man. "You are to bring the Princess Jillia to the agreed upon place. Use whatever means you see fit, as long as she remains alive. You may make use of other agents stationed within the palace."

"Yes, my Lord." His eyes flickered slightly, "I will be unable to continue my work here after this."

"You need not worry. Should you fail, you will surely die in a timely manner. Should you succeed, we will be able to find a place for you elsewhere. You are a valuable asset, Ka-Trae, do not think that you will be forgotten."

"I understand, my Lord. I will deliver the girl shortly."

"Your orders have changed," said the hooded man. "You are to bring the Princess Jillia to the agreed upon place. Use whatever means you see fit, as long as she remains alive. You may make use of other agents stationed within the palace."

Footsteps echoed through the area of L'Renoille's castle's disengaged area. A castle so big is bound to have such places. Just another idle afternoon spent lurking about these hallways. He had completed his studies, and living in such a place does not give much time for friends, so most of his free time was spent wandering around such places.

Perhaps he could visit princess Jillia, but never would it be acceptable to do so without a sufficient alibi. After all, she was royalty, much too high a status to be caught with him, and she is always so busy in royal affairs. Though at least he was able to meet up with her at least a couple of times, the only thing uniting them was the tactics lessons.

"Your orders have changed" A voice rang from one of the doors. A commander ordering his soldier on a mission no doubt, but what was he doing in this place? Klaus speculated it was a secret mission, and attempted to go away before those words shattered the place.

"You are to bring the Princess Jillia to the agreed upon place...."

What?

Klaus tiptoed to the source of the noise. The door shut tight, and there was no other way to look who was inside. So instead he placed his ears on the door and hoped for a voice he could recognize.

"....... I will be unable to continue my work here after this."

Professor Ka-Trae?! He hoped this wasn't what his intuition was telling him. After all, he had known the professor for quite a while, and the idea that he was involved in some plot seemed absurd to his logical mind.

"I understand, my Lord. I will deliver the girl shortly."

Could the Highland royalty be so lenient in selecting their instructors? The last words stunned Klaus, who tried to fade into sight before the conspirators would come out. As they did the fact just became clearer, indeed it was the professor, with another man who covered his face with a hood.

Trust is a powerful weapon in the ends of the enemy Ka Trae had said in one of his lessons. Don't be foolish and give it away to anyone just because you know him.

How true this statement was.

Klaus began to run, to where he did not know; it didn't really seem to matter. What am I going to do? He asked himself, I need to find someone before Ka-Trae does as he was ordered. Father is away at weapons training with his men, by the time he get's back it could be too late. Klaus paused for a moment as he tried to think of someone who could help. Of course! I must find Lord Seed.

"Tell me Erik, do you remember what it is I told you I would do if I caught you wondering around the palace again?"

"I swear Lord Seed, I wasn't wondering around," he protested.

"Then what were you doing? And with these no less?" Seed asked as he reached into Erik's sack and pulled out a loaf of bread and some assorted fruits. "Stealing again were we?"

"N- n-no. I swear it! I just came to show my respects to the royal family. Please believe me."

"Are you really being honest to me Erik? Because I wouldn't expect anything less from you. And that reminds me; a loaf of bread and some fruit just recently had gone missing from the palace kitchen. You wouldn't know anything about that would you?

"Eh? Er.. I mean no! Of course not! I would never dream of stealing from the mouths of the family!"

"I see," Seed stood up from the cool stone floor and Erik's cowering body and snapped his fingers. A man with a Chef's hat walked up to him and stood beside Seed. "Is this the--"

The palace chef immediately cut him off, "yes! That is the culprit!" He spat as he started waving a dull butcher knife at the sweating and now saliva covered thief.

Seed nodded slightly as he waved to two accompanying soldiers. "Take him to a cell" he ordered.

The two soldiers briefly saluted and began to drag Erik down the poorly lit, stone hallway. Seed let out a deep sigh. Why must I be stuck doing this dribble? Oh well, it comes with the territory I suppose it just comes with the job. Seed sat down on the cold stone hallway and took a deep breath. He slowly scanned the dark hallway, no light except the candlelight on the wall. He sighed again wishing for a job more exciting then providing palace security. There were people more suited for it then him.

Suddenly Seed was jerked out of his silent thoughts as he heard footsteps running towards him. He got to his feet and looked towards the dark, small, running figure. After a moment of watching he stepped into the candlelight. Seed immediately recognized him. "Is something wrong Klaus? You look as pale as a ghost. Did someone die or something?"

Klaus placed his back to the wall and leaned on it taking deep breaths. "No, at least not yet. But someone might."

"Huh? What have you heard Klaus?" Seed replied.

Klaus' breathing returned to normal as he started to just shout out words. "Jillia.. The princess.. Huff.. Puff.."

Seed's expression changed rapidly at the sound of Jillia's name. "Klaus, is something wrong with Jillia? Tell me!"

"I heard everything.. Ka-Trae, he.. He's planning on killing Jillia. I saw him take her towards the back end of the castle, in the dead area that's not used. Please Seed, you're the only one I can trust to help her."

Seed was angered at this information; someone had the nerve to betray the princess. He tilted his head and firmly gripped his sword. "Take me to where you saw him."

"Here Captain Seed." Klaus said as he took position under a stone archway. "This is where I saw Ka-Trae and Jillia before he threw her in the bag. "But that was some time ago. They are probably long gone by now." Klaus pointed out.

Seed's head raised as he heard a small scream down the hallway. "... Or not. Come Klaus." Seed offered as he unsheathed his weapon and followed the voice.

Jillia was dumped unceremoniously onto the carpeted floor, breathing hard and lightly dusted with flour that had been in the bag sometime before her. She quickly took in her surroundings. The room was small, somewhere in the castle that probably wasn't used much anymore. Ka-Trae was looking down at her coldly, with a long knife at his side. He was the only other person in the room, so he must have been the one to carry her the entire way. He certainly looked tired, but Jillia doubted she could escape from an armed man almost twice her size. But nobody could possibly know what had happened yet, could they?

A thought to her mind. Call me pathetic, will you? It's high time I prove just how pathetic and useless a princess can be! She got to her feet and began to dust herself off. "This was a very expensive dress, you know?" she said, "I shall be very upset if it's ruined because of this."

"Sit down," said Ka-Trae, pointing to the small couch against the wall.

Jillia sighed, "Very well." She sat down and looked about her. "No tea service? Drat, I really could use a cup of tea after all that."

Ka-Trae rolled his eyes and ignored her. While he did that, Jillia put her hands behind her, searching for anything that might have fallen in between the cushions when the room was still in use. The first thing she found, slightly painfully, was a sharp sewing needle. It was too short to be any use that she could think of, but there was always a chance. And she also found a small jewelled comb that had probably cost somebody a lot of money.

She began to comb her hair with the comb she had just found. "My hair must be absolutely a mess by now," she commented.

Ka-Trae glared at her. "Give me that right now," he demanded, holding out his hand. "And sit still or I'll have to kill you right now."

Jillia made a show of reluctantly handing over the comb, and just after giving it to him; she stabbed the sewing needle into his hand as hard as she could. He yelled at the sudden pain, and reached for his dagger.

Uh oh, Jillia though. She hadn't quite thought of what she would do next. If only the door were closer..!

Seed and Klaus flinched as they heard Ka-Trae's scream.

"What was that?" Asked a bewildered Klaus.

"I don't quite know, but now is out chance." Seed waved to Klaus and the two darted in.

"Why you little...!" Yelled Ka-Trea as he unsheathed his dagger.

Jillia screamed and desperately tried to get away by ducking underneath Ka-Trae's legs.

Ka-Trae swung around to see Seed and Klaus standing behind him. "W-How... Did you guys find me?"

"Enough, the penalty for kidnapping royalty is punishable by death, prepare yourself." Seed stated while reaching for his sword.

"Damn... My employer is not going to be pleased."

"Employer? I want to know who dares to kidnap the princess."

"Yeah!" Klaus yelled.

"Not now Klaus.." Seed replied.

"Uhm.. Yes sir." Klaus said as he walked over and tried to comfort Jillia.

"If I told you he would kill me!" Ka-Trae stated.

"Do you think what I'm going to do is any more pleasant? Give me one good reason why I shouldn't let it take ten days for you to die."

"I cannot..."

Seed turned to Klaus and Jillia, "Klaus, I want you to call my deputies here and tell them to take Ka-Trae to the dungeon."

As Seed's back was turned, Ka-Trae took his long dagger and ran at Seed. Seed heard his footfalls and tried to turn around to face his attacker, however at that moment Ka-Trae's hand slipped and stabbed the dagger into Seed's shoulder. As Seed cringed he threw Ka-Trae away. Seed grabbed his shoulder with his left hand, as he turned to face him again. Ka-Trae's eyes looked desperate, he was going to do anything he could to get out of there alive.. But even if he did, his employer would most surely kill him. So why was he trying to escape?

"Argh!" Ka-Trae spat as Seed's right fist came down on him. Ka-Trae stumbled to his feet, arms flying desperately, most of the blows were clean misses, but the last one caught Seed's stomach. Seed countered it by delivering a swift kick to his head, knocking him to the floor.

Seed turned around and began to follow Jillia and Klaus; near the entry way he kneeled down and collected his blade. Outside in the poorly lit hall, he heard the sound of rubbing metal. As he turned around he found Ka-Trae taking the sword from a knight statue and come charging towards him. Seed raised his own sword to counter Ka-Trae's poorly followed through blows. The two began to exchange equal blows until Ka-Trae attempted to make a high blow towards Seed's head, as soon as he realized what he was doing, Seed ducked and brought his blade to bare on Ka-Trae's lower stomach, slicing the blade along his midsection.

The sudden loss of blood made Ka-Trae feel instantly week as he toppled over and landed hard on the marble floor. Seed glanced down at his dead body. Suddenly he felt weak and dropped to his knees, using his sword to keep him up straight. The battle must have aggravated his wound. Seed looked up as he heard two sets of feet come running up to him, it was Klaus and Jillia.

"Seed!" Jillia screamed as she ran up to Seed and sat beside him. "Are you okay?"

Seed looked down at the young girl, "yes, I am fine. Are you alright Jill?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. I can take care of myself you know?" Jillia sobbed.

Seed smiled, "of course I do."

Jillia leaned forward against Seed's chest. He looked down at her and saw a beam of light reflect off of a tear rolling down her cheek, he removed his glove and whipped it away and placed his hand on the top of her head.

Jillia sat quietly in her quarters the next day, reading over an old scroll describing the history of the true runes. She was suddenly startled as she heard two large knocks on her door. "Enter," she asked.

The door slowly swung open as Seed walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Seed, how nice of you to come by. Would you like some tea?"

Seed waved his hand negatively. "No, that's alright princess. I just came to tell you something."

Jillia stood up and faced him. "Oh?"

"Yes, because of yesterday's.. Incident, your fa-" Seed suddenly went silent as he remembered ever since her mother's death, she never considered Agares her father. "That is the king, has promoted me to general. I finally got the promotion I have been working a long time for."

Jillia's expression suddenly dropped as she looked towards the floor. "Oh.. I see. That's great... Seed."

Seed suddenly looked concerned as he walked over to Jillia's side. "Is something wrong?"

"No, no. I'm very happy for you." She replied.

"But..?"

Jillia sighed and walked over to her desk. "I guess this means I won't see you much anymore, huh?"

"Well, probably not. With my new duties I'll be required to stay out of the city more often... But I will still live here. And I'll come to see you as often as I can. But really, you are growing up now. You don't really need me to be your guardian anymore right?"

Jillia turned around facing him. "Of course I do! Between the king and Ruka you are the only one who really cares about me! Heck, you are more of a brother now then Ruka ever will be."

Seed felt as if he had been smacked in the face. "I.. I had no idea I meant so much to you." Seed said modestly.

"Oh!... Come on! You must have!"

Seed walked over to Jillia and her throw her arms around him. He kneeled down in front of her. "It's alright Jillia, I'll always be here. If you ever need anything. I'll do whatever I possibly can. You can count on that."

Jillia and Seed both smiled.

Seed smiled and hoped Jillia was alright and that the mercenaries had not treated her badly, or assaulted her or whatever else he hears that Jowston soldiers do to their prisoners. If they did, they WILL pay for it.