Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Death and His Brother ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Do not own Supernatural.
Severely AU. Wincest.
 
Chapter 1
 
“Don't feel too bad, Sam. There's only five things in all of creation that that gun can't kill, and I just happen to be one of them. But if you give me a minute, I'm almost done.” Lucifer taunted, turning back to his work while Sam ran for Dean, checking for a pulse and sighing in relief when he realised Dean was alive.
“You know, I don't suppose you'd just say yes here and now?” He asked and Sam glared at him.
“End this whole tiresome discussion? That's crazy, right?”

“It's never gonna happen!” Sam screamed in defiance and Lucifer went back to filling the hole.

“Oh, I don't know, Sam. I think it will. I think it'll happen soon. Within six months. And I think it'll happen in Detroit.”

“You listen to me, you son of a bitch. I'm gonna kill you myself, you understand me? I'm going to rip your heart out!” Sam snarled in anger and Lucifer smirked at him.

“That's good, Sam. You keep fanning that fire in your belly. All that pent-up rage. I'm gonna need it.” He said and Sam visibly calmed before looking around.

“What did you do? What did you do to this town?”

“Oh, I was very generous with this town. One demon for every able-bodied man.”
“And the rest of them?” Sam asked though he had a sinking feeling, especially when Lucifer paused in his work.

“In there. I know, it's awful, but these horsemen are so demanding. So it was women and children first. I know what you must think of me, Sam. But I have to do this. I have to. You of all people should understand.”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Sam demanded and Lucifer dropped the shovel.

“I was a son. A brother, like you, a younger brother, and I had an older brother who I loved. Idolized, in fact. And one day I went to him and I begged him to stand with me, and Michael—Michael turned on me. Called me a freak. A monster. And then he beat me down. All because I was different. Because I had a mind of my own. Tell me something, Sam. Any of this sound familiar? Anyway. You'll have to excuse me. Midnight is calling and I have a ritual to finish. Don't go anywhere. Not that you would if you could.” Lucifer told him and Sam turned back to Dean, holding Dean close as Lucifer began to chant.
“Now repeat after me. We offer up our lives, blood, souls—“ Lucifer instructed the demons as Dean began to stir in Sam's arms.
 
“We offer up our lives, blood, souls—“ they repeated obediently.

“To complete this tribute.” Lucifer continued and the demons copied him.

“To complete this tribute.” One by one the demons flashed gold and then collapsed, dead. Sam stared in horror and then looked down as he felt Dean grab his arm to find his brother also staring at the scene. Lucifer looked over at them and shrugged.

“What? They're just demons.” He stated casually. Sam began to struggle to pull Dean to his feet as the ground began to shake underneath them. Dean managed to help a bit but he was still pretty disorientated from being thrown around. Once they were up Sam began to move them away from Lucifer but the pace they were going...both knew it wasn't fast enough.
 
“Run Sam, leave me.” Dean whispered only to receive a glare in return; Sam was not going to leave him alone. They watched in horror as the ground split open and.....something emerged. It coalesced into the form of an older man who made both brothers' skin crawl. The man looked around and then walked straight past Lucifer and towards them. Sam began moving them backwards again only to scream in denial as he was physically ton from his brother. Two of the dead demons were once again standing and yet still dead and they were doing a very good job of restraining Sam.
 
Dean wavered on his feet and the Horseman of Death caught him almost tenderly. Sam pleaded with the Horseman to release his brother but it ignored him, holding Dean close even as Dean struggled weakly. A scream was cut off as the Horseman's mouth locked onto Dean's and a hand went up to hold the back of Dean's head, holding him still. Sam stared in horror, half collapsing in the arms of those holding him. The Horseman eventually released Dean and lowered him tenderly to the ground even as Dean began to shake and moan. The demons holding Sam released him and he staggered to Dean's side. He fell to his knees as he stared at Dean who appeared unconscious and then froze as he began to reach out for his brother as a voice echoed through his mind.
 
`Do not touch his skin young half-breed.' He stared at the Horseman in shock even as it bowed slightly and then retreated. Lucifer had been watching silently up until then but now he moved to approach, only to be blocked by the corpses of the townspeople. Sam used Dean's jacket to maneuver his brother into his arms and then relaxed as Castiel appeared. The angel grabbed Sam and they vanished only to reappear at Bobby's.
 
Bobby started and then stared at them in shock as he saw Dean shaking violently in Sam's arms.
 
“What the hell happened? Ellen? Jo?”
 
“Dead.” Sam stated, shifting Dean, his brother wasn't exactly light after all.
“I need to get Dean to bed and check him over, should we take him to the hospital?” Sam asked Castiel who frowned.
 
“What happened?” He asked and Sam closed his eyes.
 
“Lucifer threw him into a tree, he was unconscious for a while and at first I thought....after he woke up the Horseman he....he held him and then he kissed him. He was almost...tender with Dean, why?” Sam asked and Castiel's frown turned to a look of horror.
“Cas?”
“We need to take him to Bobby's panic room now.” The angel stated and Sam clutched Dean closer.
 
“Why?” Sam demanded and Castiel's look morphed to a glare.
 
“Now Sam.” The angel demanded and Bobby nodded, wheeling closer.
 
“Better do as he says Sam. We can sort this out after Dean's been looked over.” Bobby advised and Sam nodded reluctantly and then stubbornly carried Dean himself down to the room. When Castiel got out and went to attach the chains that had once been used on Sam himself the hunter actually attacked the angel, pinning him to the wall.
 
“I promise this is necessary for Dean and us, I would never do this otherwise.” Castiel assured him calmly, knowing why Sam was acting as he was and accepting that. Sam glared at him but then stepped away and removed his own shirt, ripping it up to pad the cuffs. By the time Dean had been secured to the cot he'd gone from shaking to almost convulsing.
“Sam?” Castiel called as he moved to the doorway but Sam just sank to his knees beside the cot.
 
“No, I'm not leaving him alone down here....not like I was. I can't do that to him.”
 
“Sam it is not safe.”
 
“Screw you Cas, I am not leaving him.” Sam snarled angrily.
 
“As you wish, but do not free him or”
 
“Or touch his skin, already got that warning.” Sam answered and Castiel left.
 
Sam sagged, resting his head on the edge of the cot, exhausted, scared and confused. He didn't know what was happening to his brother, just that it had an angel scared and that he wasn't allowed to touch Dean's skin for some reason. Of course that made him want to touch Dean, to make sure his brother was still with him. The cot began to shake from the force of Dean's convulsions and Sam stood, straddled the cot and then settled himself over Dean, careful not to touch his bare skin, but he managed to pin him enough that Dean couldn't hurt himself. Dean moaned and his eyelids fluttered briefly but didn't open.
 
“Dean can you hear me? I'm here, you're safe. Just hang on okay? Cas and Bobby will figure it out; you just have to stay with me Dean.” Sam whispered and Dean's head moved slightly on the cot, as if he'd heard and his body calmed so that he was only trembling.
“It'll be okay Dean; I won't leave you here alone.” Sam soothed and a little of the pain eased from Dean's face.
 
Sam shifted so that he was comfortable and not squishing Dean and settled in to wait out whatever was happening. He even managed to doze off for a while only to be woken as Dean began to convulse under him.
 
“Dean come on, hang on please.” Sam pleaded and then froze in horror as Dean went utterly still beneath him.
“Dean? Dean!” Sam screamed, shaking his brother a bit but there was no reaction. Sam placed his hands over Dean's chest and began compressions, trying to get Dean's heart restarted.
“Come on Dean, don't leave me.” He begged. He pulled his sleeves down over his hands and then opened Dean's mouth, breathing in but being careful not to let their lips touch.
“Please Dean.” He sobbed as he pulled back and went back to compressions. He gasped as Dean's back arched and then his eyes shot open. He started to smile and then froze as Dean looked at him.
 
He stared up at the one holding him down, he knew him...this was the one that had stayed with him, had talked to him through the pain of his awakening.
 
“Sammy.” He whispered, smiling up at his brother, the one mortal he loved above all. But why did Sam look scared?
 
“Dean?” Sam questioned and he nodded, he tried to reach out to Sam only to find he was chained down. He looked at the chains and then at Sam who looked down in shame.
“Castiel did it....said it was to protect you and us. I....Dean your eyes.” Sam whispered and Dean frowned before simply sitting up, the chains falling away. Sam gasped and tensed and Dean reached out to cup his cheek. Sam shivered at his touch but didn't pull away, much to Dean's happiness. He stared across the room at the mirror and knew why Sam was scared. His eyes were still green but so were his pupils. He turned back to Sam who was pale and shaky.
 
“It's okay Sammy.” Dean whispered and he gently tugged Sam into his arms, holding him close. Sam shakily returned the embrace but Dean could feel the lingering fear.
“It's me Sam, promise. Christo.” He added to prove he wasn't a demon. Sam relaxed a little at that but was still scared.
“It's okay, not gonna hurt you. Could never hurt you Sam.” He soothed, gently rubbing Sam's back like he had when Sam was little.
 
“What happened to you?” Sam whispered.
 
“I....what did you see?” Dean asked instead.
 
“Lucifer raised the Horseman and he came towards us, I tried to get you away but two of the dead demons pulled me away. You were still pretty out of it and he held you gently, it was weird and then....he kissed you. When he let you go you were shaking and moaning but you were unconscious. Then he left and I think he used the corpses to keep Lucifer at bay, and then Cas showed up and brought us here. He demanded we bring you down here and both he and the Horseman ordered me not to touch your skin. I've never seen Castiel scared like that before. You started convulsing but you seemed to calm down when I talked to you. I had to pin you down, I didn't want you to hurt yourself but then I think I fell asleep and it started again and then.....your heart stopped Dean. I did CPR which is hard when you can't actually touch the person's skin and then well you woke up rather violently. Dean please....what's happened to you? What did the Horseman do?” Sam pleaded and Dean sighed before taking Sam's hand in his and placing it over his chest. Sam frowned and then concentrated before his eyes went wide in horror.
“No....No!” He screamed in denial, frantically searching for a pulse anywhere.
 
“Sam...shh calm down, its okay.” Dean soothed but Sam was too panicked.
“Sam!” He shouted and Sam froze, staring at him with tears falling from his eyes. Dean reached out and gently wiped them away and Sam shivered, noticing for the first time jut how cold Dean was.
 
“You're cold, need to warm you up.” Sam murmured and Dean smiled sadly.
 
“Won't work kiddo.” Dean told him, lying back down and pulling Sam with him. The cot really wasn't big enough for two but he just cradled Sam on top of him, poor kid was in shock and needed comfort. It didn't surprise him at all when Sam's breathing gradually deepened into sleep.
 
Hearing a gasp he turned to look at the doorway and saw Castiel clutching the doorframe, his face pale and eyes wide in horror as he saw Dean cradling Sam close. Dean tightened his grip on Sam who murmured sleepily before settling again, clinging tightly to Dean in his sleep. Dean simply kept staring at the horrified angel, challenging him silently to do or say something.
 
“How.....how can he be alive, you're touching....” Castiel finally managed to say and Dean glared at him.
 
“How could you think I'd ever hurt Sam?” Dean demanded angrily and Cast stared in shock.
 
“You are Death.” Castiel whispered as if that explained everything and Dean tenderly ran his fingers through Sam's hair.
 
“But I'm still Dean.” Was the soft answer even as Sam began to stir in his arms.
 
“D'n?”
 
“Right here Sam, go back to sleep.” Dean soothed but Sam stubbornly opened his eyes, staring up at Dean sleepily and then he looked over at Castiel who was still in the doorway before he lowered his gaze and tightened his grip on Dean, as if to protect him from the angel. Dean chuckled softly, going back to stroking his fingers through Sam's hair. He could feel the lingering fear and yet Sam still let him touch him, let him comfort him and that made him happy. He'd have to tell Sam the truth and he could only hope Sam would still love him, would stay with him.
 
“What's going on?” Sam asked softly and Dean sighed, closing his eyes. Even Castiel looked away.
“Dean please.” He could never deny Sam when he used that tone of voice.
 
“Can you explain to Bobby?” Dean asked Castiel who nodded warily.
“Sam we're gonna take a little trip and then I'll tell you anything you want to know, okay?” Dean asked and Sam looked from Dean to Cas and then back again before nodding warily.
“Everything's going to be okay Sammy.” Dean promised, sitting up again and holding Sam loosely, not wanting to make him feel like he had no choice.
 
“Okay.” Sam answered and Dean smiled, concentrating and he heard Sam gasp as they vanished from the panic room.
 
TBC...