Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Out of the Mouths of Babes ❯ The Cherry On Top ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 9
 
The declaration probably shouldn't have taken him so completely by surprise. After all, his father could hardly have come to find him just so they could exchange lame pleasantries and dark family secrets, could he?
 
So, yeah, maybe the fact that Alaron had come to bring him back home shouldn't have felt like an attack from way out in left field (and yeah, just because Ryuji couldn't throw a baseball, that didn't mean he didn't know the lingo), but it did. It really, really did, and for a long time Ryuji could only stare, until at last he came up with a reply.
 
Huh?”
 
XXX
 
“So Whaddya think they're talking about?”
 
Dean took a bite of his banana split, skillfully arresting any potential drips before they could fall to the sidewalk, and glanced at Sam, who was walking next to him, looking thoughtful. “Not a clue, kid. Not a clue.”
 
“Well, it's gotta be important, right? Like, life-or-death kind of important.”
 
“Oh, yeah? What makes you say that?” Dean asked absently, digging around in the remaining ice cream for his cherry.
 
“Well, think about it. I don't knew where he's from, but I'm betting it's far away. And Ryuji's been here for almost as long as I can remember, and no one's ever come looking for him before. So it must be something big that's bringing his dad here now, right?”
 
“I guess. Maybe,” Dean replied, still searching for the little red fruit. He knew it was in there, it was his favorite part, and cherries always came with banana splits…
 
“Hey, what's with you?” Sam asked suddenly, and Dean looked up to find his brother staring at him with the kind of shrewd expression that just didn't belong on an eleven-year-old face.
 
“Nothing, Sammy, nothing. I'm good. Just can't find my dang cherry.”
 
“Uh-huh. Okay, let's just say I believe you. And you already ate it.”
 
“I did not. The cherry's the best part, I would've noticed if I'd eaten it already.”
 
“Well, trust me, bro, you did. Maybe you were just too distracted to notice.”
 
Dean grunted. “Yeah, whatever. I don't wanna argue about cherries anymore.”
 
Sam just grinned victoriously, and for a minute or two they walked in silence and ate their ice cream. Then Sam said, “Hey, Dean?”
 
“Yeah, Sam?”
 
“If I ask you a question, will you tell me the truth?”
 
Dean went on his guard immediately, but the answer to that question had always been, and probably would always be, the same. “Yeah, sure. What is it?”
 
“Ryuji's dad. Did you think he was…erm…well, scary at all?”
 
It was an altogether unexpected question for so serious a tone, and Dean couldn't hold back a burst of laughter even as he nodded.
 
But even in his current state of brother-induced amusement, Dean was worried, because what he hadn't told Sam was that he was pretty sure he knew exactly why Ryuji's dad had come to find him after all these years.
 
He just…preferred not to think about it.
 
XXX
 
Alaron stared at his son for a long time after he uttered his one sound of surprised disbelief, and all Ryuji could do was stare back. He honestly could not process this information—but he did have one question.
 
“Why?” he blurted, almost angrily. “Why here? Why now? In five years, you haven't shown any concern over where I've been or what I've been doing or even whether I'm alive or dead, and I know that's not a lot of time to us, but I've been here and it seems like it's been a long time. Why have you come now?”
 
Alaron gazed at him, and in his eyes was a deep sorrow, but no apology. There never was apology among the Elves.
 
“Ryuji, your people are in trouble. Your mother, when she died, left behind a price, and in her absence it is left to her kin. In this case, her kin are all of the Elves in the city, but it is a price we refuse to pay.”
 
“What are you talking about?” Ryuji asked quietly, suddenly feeling afraid.
 
Alaron sighed, and looked very much as if he wanted to sit down, if he trusted the beds at all. “We know…more now, about why your mother died. She had dealings with the Dark, Ryuji.”
 
Ryuji wished more than anything that he could be surprised, but…he knew the truth, and it made sense. “And the price she was to pay was…us. She delivered the Elves into the hands of her murderers, and now they've come to collect.”
 
Alaron nodded in approval. “You show an excellent grasp of the situation, Ryuji. The Elves are mustering an army for the first time since the war, and I want you there. You have very many things to learn, and very little time.”
 
“You're not making any sense,” Ryuji said, tugging at his long braid in a frustrated gesture. “What do you want from me, exactly? What can I do there? I can't even shoot a bow. If you would allow me to bring my gun it would be different, but…”
 
“That is out of the question,” Alaron replied implacably, and Ryuji was surprised when his hair didn't just up and come off with his latest tug.
 
“I know. I just said that, and you're not answering my question. What do you want from me?”
 
“I want you to face what you are, Ryuji.”
 
Ryuji looked steadily at him. “I'm not anything, Father. Not anymore.”
 
“You may think that and, yes, even wish it, but it will never prove true. You are still the Elven prince, Ryuji, and my successor. It is time you came home and prepared to take my place, should I meet my fate in battle. It is…our only hope.”
 
Ryuji wanted to dispute the idea that Alaron was going to die in the coming war, but he was no Seer, able to know the future, and he simply couldn't say.
 
But there was one thing he could dispute.
 
“That's not me anymore, Father. These days I know more about the human life than I do about the Elven one, and…”
 
“And this is what worried me,” Alaron uncharacteristically, cut him off.
 
“…Okay, you've lost me again,” Ryuji confessed after a moment of thought.
 
That is what I mean. You have become one of them, Ryuji. You are not an Elf anymore.”
 
Ryuji scoffed. “You're crazy.”
 
“You see? You never used to speak to me like that. You never used to push all of your words together, making two into one, and you never argued with me.”
 
“Maybe, but it's different now. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I wouldn't fit in there anymore. I'm not sure I want to. I can't be your successor, Father. I can't learn to lead people I no longer understand. It wouldn't be right.”
 
“You can learn,” Alaron said quietly, and something in his tone struck Ryuji with realization.
 
“Oh, wow,” he said quietly. Then he chuckled, and stood up with his hands on his hips. “Oh, wow, wow, wow,” he repeated, turning away from his father and walking around the bed to stare at the wall for a moment before turning back to Alaron. “I don't believe this. You're not asking for them, are you?”
 
“Excuse me?”
 
“You're not asking for you. You want me to come back. But instead of just telling me that, you chose to stay true to form and pretend you could care less.”
 
Alaron simply shook his head, completely nonplussed, and Ryuji chuckled bitterly. “You really haven't changed a bit, have you? I'd hoped when you finally snapped out of the dream you've been in since Mother died you'd…but you're still the same guy you've always been, aren't you?”
 
Alaron still didn't answer, and Ryuji sighed.
 
“I think you should leave.”
 
“Ryuji…”
 
“No. Just…please. Leave. Go back to people who actually need you.”
 
Alaron opened his mouth and then closed it again, and before Ryuji could process his victory his father was heading for the door. He stopped with his hand on the knob, but he didn't turn as he spoke.
 
“You can not stay here forever, Ryuji. You will have to leave at some point, and you will find your mistake then. When that happens, you know where to find me.”
 
Ryuji considered arguing some more, but at the last minute he decided to concede the ground. “I do.”
 
“And I want you to remember one other thing—a lesson you should have been taught long ago. I want you to remember that the world, no matter which one you reside in, looks coldly upon the one who forgets who he is.”
 
And then Alaron opened the door, and stepped through it, and Ryuji was left alone, with only his thoughts for company.
 
XXX
 
John was already back at the motel when Sam and Dean got there, but he was alone, holding a piece of paper, and looking confused.
 
“Dean, you wanna tell me what the he—”
 
Dean threw a glance at his brother and John swiftly changed his mind.
 
“—Eck this is?”
 
He waved the paper, and Dean took it and read it.
 
Dean and Sam. He said some things to me that I need to think about, so I've gone for a walk. I'll be back later. Ryuji.
 
“He's articulate, isn't he?” Dean murmured, handing the paper off to Sam, who had been tugging at his arm as he read.
 
“What's it mean?” John asked. “Who's `he'?”
 
Dean shrugged. “Ryuji's dad showed up earlier this afternoon while you were gone. Me and Sam went to get some ice cream. That was the last time we saw him. I dunno what his dad said to him. Guess we won't find out `til he gets back.”
 
He didn't say anything more, but the look he gave John said all that couldn't be said aloud in front of Sam.
 
I don't like the sound of this.
 
XXX
 
Late That Night
 
“Wait. So you're just going?” Dean said incredulously, staring at Ryuji, who looked down at his knees and nodded.
 
“I…I think I have to.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Dean…” John said quietly, but for once Dean didn't heed the warning.
 
“No. I want an explanation. I want a good, solid reason why, after staying with us for half my little brother's life, after learning our secrets and making me actually like you and becoming Sam's best friend in the world, you're just leaving.”
 
Ryuji looked miserable. “I'm sorry, Dean. You have no idea how much I wish I could stay, but…I can't. My father said some things to me about how I'm becoming like you. And even though I don't think that's a bad thing, I do know that if I forget what it is to be an Elf, I'll become…lost. And…more than that, I think I'm needed out there—in the world.”
 
“You're talking in riddles,” Dean griped, and Ryuji smiled a little.
 
“Maybe because it's a riddle to me. It's just a feeling I have, and after what happened with my mother, I've learned to go with my gut. So…yeah, I'm going. Not forever—don't think that for a minute. But…for a while. Until I get it together.”
 
Dean looked at him for a long time, then stood abruptly. “Fine. Then you figure out how to tell Sam. I'm going to bed.”
 
Ryuji watched him sadly as he left and murmured, “I'd just made friends with him, too.”
 
“Don't worry about it, kid,” John said. “And don't take it personally. He's just…thinking of Sam. Like always. Doesn't want him to get hurt. He gets it, though—he won't say it, but…he knows.”
 
“You think so?”
 
“Yeah,” John replied, smiling a rare smile. “Yeah, I really do.”
 
XXX
 
It was weird, but Sam seemed to deal with the fact that Ryuji was leaving fairly well. Where Dean had expected tears and anger, there was only a trembling lower lip and a shaking, “When will you come back?” The confession that it would be a while elicited only a, “But you will be back, right? Promise?”
 
Ryuji smiled at him and said, “Of course I promise. I could hardly leave you forever, could I? And in the meantime, you always have Dean, right?”
 
Sam gave him a watery smile.
 
“Right.”
 
XXX
 
“Are you sure you'll be able to find us when you want to?” John asked, digging Ryuji's last shirt out of the drawer and tossing it into Dean's, who had become the new owner of all the Elf's old clothes.
 
“Easily,” Ryuji assured him, resting his gun on his shoulder and waiting patiently for John to join him.
 
“Well…all right, then. Let's…get you gone, huh?”
 
Ryuji smiled sadly. “Yeah. Let's get me gone.”
 
Sam and Dean were waiting outside, tossing their baseball back and forth, but when Ryuji and John came out they abandoned their game and came over to say goodbye.
 
They were an Elf and three Winchesters, so it wasn't much of a goodbye—more of a “see you soon, don't get yourself killed,” and so on and so forth.
 
Sam was the only one who didn't say a word, and that hurt, but Ryuji decided not to try and coax him into speech, and was walking away when the boy shouted, “Ryuji, wait!”
 
He stopped dead, and turned just in time to catch the small figure hurtling toward him. Sam clung tightly to him, and Ryuji froze for a moment and then hugged him back, just as tight, smiling gently.
 
It was the first time he'd been hugged by anyone except his mother, but he sincerely hoped it wouldn't be the last. It felt…nice. It felt like being loved.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: Well, we had a snow day today, and so I sat down and, once again, wrote most of a chapter at once. And we're supposed to have another one tomorrow. I am so sick of snow days…the world is ending. ENDING, I tell you! CALL THE WINCHESTERS!
 
…Okay, I'm done now. Review, please!