Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Samuel Michaels ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
 
Chapter 7
 
Dean flung open the door to their room only to freeze and reach for his gun.
 
“Hello Dean.” Dean grinned and walked into the room.
 
“Dad! Why didn't you tell me you were around? Is everything okay?” Dean studied his father carefully but couldn't see any injuries. John just laughed and pulled him into a quick hug.
 
“So this your new partner?” Dean turned to see Sam hovering in the doorway and nodded.
 
“Sam Michaels, this is John Winchester. Dad this is Sam. He helped me out with those vampires in Boston, saved my life actually.” Dean explained all the while praying that John wouldn't pick up that Sam wasn't human.
 
“It's nice to meet you sir.” Sam greeted with an embarrassed flush and Dean almost laughed. The enthusiastic new hunter was back. He'd gotten so used to Sam being the older and wiser of them that it was kind of weird but necessary if they were going to have a chance in fooling John.
 
“Sounds like I owe you Dean's life. Nice to see him with actual friends for once.” John held out his hand and Sam shook it.
 
“I'll just go do something, let you talk.” Sam moved back towards the door.
 
“Sam...”
 
“Its fine Dean, you catch up with your Dad. I'll head over to the library, do some research.” With that Sam was gone.
 
“Seems like a good kid.”
 
“Yeah, he is. Good in a fight and a genius at research.” Dean told him and John nodded and then stared hard at Dean.
 
“So what is he?” Dean felt his heart skip a beat at the question.
 
“Human. Dad what's going on?” Dean fought down any nervous reactions to the way his Dad was acting. He would not reveal what Sam was, not even to his Dad, without Sam's permission.
 
“Why were you in hospital last month?” John insisted.
 
“Hunt gone wrong, that stupid asylum. Lost a bit too much blood. I'm fine now, thanks for asking.” Dean answered, unable to hide his annoyance. He fought the urge to struggle as his Dad yanked his jacket collar away from his throat and was very thankful that Sam's bite hadn't scared.
“Damn it Dad, what's gotten into you? Cristo.” Luckily John didn't react which was one good thing out of a lot that were going wrong.
 
“I thought...” John let out a shuddering breath and sat on Dean's bed. Dean moved closer and sat next to him.
 
“Dad? Seriously, you're freaking me out here.”
 
“I'm sorry. It's just...I thought I'd lost you.” Dean frowned at John's explanation, confused.
“There was this demon in California. The things it said, I know better than most that demons lie but...”
 
“What did it say to have you acting so...freaked?” Dean asked, his whole posture softening as he realised just how scared his Dad had been.
 
“That you were with some weird vampire, that it had killed you. Crazy I know. I'm sorry Dean.” Dean blinked; a demon knew about Sam and had told his Dad? That was not good.
 
“It's okay, you were worried about me. And as you just did a very good job of manhandling me you know I'm not dead. Sam's a good kid Dad, a demon got his foster parents and he turned to hunting when he found out. Got to admit having a partner with access to money is nice, we've stayed at the Hilton a couple of times after bad hunts. He's still learning but he's got good instincts.” Dean babbled, just relieved that John had dropped the vampire thing.
 
“Dean...do you maybe, well the last time I heard you talk like that was Cassie.” John shifted uncomfortably and Dean's jaw dropped.
 
“What? Dad, I....” Dean trailed off, too shocked to form coherent thoughts let alone words.
 
“It's okay son. If that's what you want it's fine.” John rushed to assure his son.
 
--------------------------
“Everything alright?” Dean looked away from his Dad's retreating taillights to stare at his friend.
 
“Other than a demon telling Dad I was with a `weird' vampire that had killed me?” Dean asked and Sam winced.
 
“I've been so careful, guess I wasn't careful enough. What did you tell him?”
 
“That I was in hospital due to a hunt gone wrong, I'm fine now and I gave him your cover story. He believed me after giving me a check over.”
 
“Good, that's good.”
 
“Are you okay?” Dean looked at Sam closely and the older male shifted slightly.
 
“I wasn't lying when I said I've heard of you two's hunting reputation. The odds of your Dad knowing how to kill me are slim but I'd still rather not chance it.” Sam admitted and Dean started to laugh.
“What?”
 
“You're scared of my Dad!”
 
“No, I just have a healthy wariness for his skills as a hunter.”
 
“Right.”
 
---------------------
“Sam get them out of here!” Dean yelled, pushing the kids towards Sam who grabbed them and turned towards the stairs. But he hesitated in leaving.
 
“Take this.” Sam tossed Dean his taser but then hesitated.
 
“Go!” Sam took one last look and then bolted up the stairs with the children safely in his arms.
“Come on.” He pointed his flashlight in a corner of the room and saw a creature resembling a werewolf. The creature pushed him into a corner and Dean fell into a puddle of water. Seeing the creature getting closer Dean grabbed the taser and shot it, electrocuting the monster and sending one hundred thousand volts through the water they were both in. The creature fell to the ground, dead, while Dean's body flailed around in the water before going still. Not even a second later Sam dropped to the ground in front of Dean, having skipped the stairs in his hurry.
 
“Dean!” He knelt quickly at Dean's side and gently lifted him from the water, ignoring the residual current.
“Dean, come on. Wake up Dean.” Not bothering to wait for an ambulance Sam took off for the nearest hospital.
 
---------------------
Sir, I'm so sorry to ask. There doesn't seem to be any insurance on file.” The nurse told a distracted Sam.
 
“Right. Uh, ok.” Sam took a card out of his wallet and handed it over.
 
“Okay, Mr. Michaels.” Sam walked over to two police men.
 
“Look, we can finish this up later.” One of the officers offered. 

“No, no, it's okay. We were just taking a shortcut through the neighbourhood. The windows were rolled down, we heard some screaming. We drove past the house, and we stopped. Ran in.”
 
“And you found the kids in the basement?”
 
“Yeah.” Sam answered.
 
“Well, thank God you did.” But Sam wasn't paying any attention since he'd seen a doctor approaching. 
“Excuse me.” Sam said to the officers who nodded.
 
“Sure. Thanks for your help.” Sam walked over to the doctor. 
“Hey, Doc. Is he—“
 
“He's resting.”
 
“And?” Sam fought not to let his fangs show in frustration.
 
“The electrocution triggered a heart attack. Pretty massive, I'm afraid. His heart—it's damaged.”
 
“How damaged?” Sam fought not to snarl.
 
“We've done all we can. We can try and keep him comfortable at this point. But, I'd give him a couple weeks, at most, maybe a month.”
 
“No, no. There's—there's gotta be something you can do, some kind of treatment.” Sam pleaded.
 
“We can't work miracles. I really am sorry.” Sam nodded, tears in his eyes, and walked away.
 
He walked into Dean's room to find him watching TV and looking like death warmed up. He was pale with dark circles under his eyes. Sam moved over to stand by his bed.
 
“Have you ever actually watched daytime TV? It's terrible.” Dean joked weakly and Sam sighed.
 
“I talked to your doctor.”
 
“That fabric softener teddy bear. Oh, I'm gonna hunt that little bitch down.” Dean pointed at the ad and Sam growled.
 
“Dean.” Dean looked up at him.
 
“Yeah.” He turned the TV off.
“Alright, well, looks like you're gonna leave town without me.”
 
“What are you talking about? I'm not gonna leave you here.” Sam told him.
 
“Hey, you better take care of that car. Or, I swear, I'll haunt your ass.” Dean answered and Sam's eyes changed in agitation.
 
“I don't think that's funny.”
 
“Oh, come on, it's a little funny.” They are both silent for a few seconds.
“Look, Sammy, what can I say, man, it's a dangerous gig. I drew the short straw. That's it, end of story.” Sam was frozen for a second, Sammy? For some reason the nickname didn't sound all that bad coming from Dean.
 
“Don't talk like that, alright? We still have options.” Sam insisted.
 
“What options? Yeah, burial or cremation. And I know it's not easy. But I'm gonna die. And you can't stop it.”
 
“Watch me.”
 
----------------------
Sam stared at his phone for a while before making the call he'd been dreading.
 
“Mr. Winchester? This is Sam Michaels, I'm calling about Dean. He's in the hospital, got hurt on a hunt, and the doctors...they said he's got a few weeks, maybe a month. But they don't know what we know. I'll find a way to save him for you, I promise.” With that Sam hung up, glad the mortal hadn't answered. He honestly didn't know any way to save Dean, except for one. But would Dean accept it? He jumped up as a knock sounded on the door.
 
“Dean? Why aren't you in the hospital?” Sam chided as he pulled Dean inside and then simply picked him up and carried him over to the bed, piling the blankets on since he knew Dean was having trouble staying warm.
 
“I checked myself out.”
 
“What, are you crazy?” Sam growled out.
 
“Well, I'm not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot.” Dean shrugged and Sam laughed.
 
“You know, this whole I-laugh-in-the-face-of-death thing? It's crap. I can see right through it.” Sam pointed out.
 
“Yeah, whatever, dude. Have you even slept? You look worse than me.
 
“I've been scouring the Internet for the last three days. Guess I haven't been eating. Calling every contact in your Dad's journal.”
 
“For what?”
 
“For a way to save you.” Sam told him, sitting down himself.
 
“And?”
 
“Nothing definite. Got word on a faith healer in Nebraska but I doubt it'll work.”
 
“So I'm going to die.”
 
“There is one way.” Sam finally admitted in a near whisper.
 
“Oh? And you haven't trotted out this miracle cure before because....?” Dean trailed off because when Sam had looked up his fangs were visible.
“You mean?” Dean couldn't finish his question.
 
“I could change you.” Sam whispered, looking away.
 
“Why?” Dean forced out and Sam shot him a quizzical look.
 
“Why what?”
 
“Why me? All the people we've saved and haven't been able to save, you've never offered it to them.”
 
“Because you're my friend and I care about you, a lot.” Sam finally made eye contact again.
“I told you Dean, I've looked over you in some fashion all your life. I can't watch you die, don't ask me to.”
 
“But you're asking me to let you kill me! To make me...not human!”
 
“You've felt my pulse Dean. Yes there will be differences and yes, you will need blood. But you'll still be Dean Winchester, I promise.” Sam knew he was almost begging but he didn't want to lose Dean. He watched as the hunter frowned in thought.
 
“I'll think about it, okay? That's the most I can give.” Sam nodded, knowing Dean was telling the truth.
“So tell me about this faith healer? Better make sure he's the real deal or completely powerless.”
 
----------------------------------
“It's not your fault.” Dean wheezed and Sam was at his side, helping him sit up against the pillows.
 
“I'm sorry Dean, if only he'd picked you.”
 
“Then I'd have to live with the guilt of knowing someone died for me. No thanks. You have to stop him.” Dean stopped talking, breathless after three short sentences. Sam sat beside him, gently smoothing the blankets that weren't really helping him stay warm.
“He...needs....” Dean coughed and Sam supported him through it.
 
“Save your strength Dean. I'll stop him but I need to look after you first.” Sam got up and went to the small kitchenette to get Dean some soup.
 
“Would it hurt?” Dean whispered and Sam turned to him.
 
“Would what hurt?” Sam asked, carrying the soup over.
 
“You...changing me.” Sam nearly dropped the mug in shock. Neither of them had brought it up since Sam had offered four days ago, did that mean Dean was really considering it?
 
“I think so, at least at first. I've never actually done it before or even seen it done but I know how.”
 
“How?” Dean took the mug but wouldn't look at him.
 
“Well I'd bite you but it wouldn't be like when you gave me blood. I'd be injecting a sort of...venom I guess you could call it, kind of like a snake. It would prepare your body for the change. A few days later I'd give you a second bite which is where things would probably start to get painful, though the first bite itself would hurt. The second bite initiates the change and it lasts for a few days. It hurts so much because your body will die but then start up again to a certain extent. A person can get the first bite and go years before the second or even never get it at all. But you'd need both, the preparation won't heal your heart.” Sam explained and Dean nodded.
 
“And after?”
 
“You'd fall asleep for a while and when you woke up it would be over and I'd have some bags ready. It takes a while to adjust to the need for blood and learn how to hunt without killing but I'd be there the whole time, I wouldn't let you hurt anyone. After that you'd go on with your life, keep hunting if that's what you want. Though I'd be careful around your Dad, he might realise something's different.” Sam fell silent and Dean finished his soup. Sam washed out the cup and then helped Dean over to the bathroom. Once he was settled back in bed Sam grabbed the supplies he thought he'd need.
“You'll be okay till I get back?”
 
“Go, stop the evil preacher and his Reaper. Still be here when you get back.” Dean gave Sam a shaky smile and he nodded.
 
-----------------------
Sam opened the door and then ran to Dean's side. The hunter was as white as the sheets he was lying on and was obviously having trouble breathing. Sam could hear his heart as it struggled to beat.
 
“Dean? Dean come on wake up please.” Sam called, gently patting Dean's face, trying to rouse him but it didn't work. Sam looked down and saw a scrap of paper in one of Dean's hands, pulling it free he stared in shock. In Dean's very shaky handwriting was two words, do it. Sam smiled and got on the bed, pulling Dean into his arms.
“Thank you.”
 
Sam closed his eyes and began to lick at Dean's neck all the while focusing on the first bite to get the venom flowing. When he felt ready he let his fangs gently pierce the skin, going as deep into the vein as he could before injecting it. Dean let out a small, pained moan but didn't wake. Sam waited until there was no more venom to inject and then gently pulled out, licking the wound closed. He made himself comfortable on the bed and held Dean close, waiting until it would be time for the second bite. He only hoped Dean's heart could hold out long enough but the first bite should help it to. Sam let himself drift off but kept his senses tuned to Dean's body just to be safe.
 
Sam roused himself from the trance like state he'd been in to find pain filled green eyes staring up at him. He smiled at Dean and pulled him closer.
 
“It's okay Dean, I got your note. I gave you the first bite two days ago and it looks like you're ready for the next. You sure about this? I have to know you really want this.” Sam explained softly and Dean nodded weakly.
 
“Want it.” Dean's voice was barely audible but Sam still heard him.
 
“Okay. I'm sorry Dean but this one is going to hurt. Just try to breathe through it and think of something else.” Dean nodded again and Sam shifted Dean so that he had easy access to his neck. He once again sucked at the skin before biting as gently as he could. He knew the moment the venom hit Dean's bloodstream because he went rigid in Sam's arms. All Sam could do was finish the bite and then hold him, talking softly even though he didn't know if Dean could hear him. He didn't move from the bed as Dean writhed in his arms from the pain but didn't do more than whimper. Sam had heard that most people cried out at least once, if they didn't spend most of the time screaming but it didn't surprise him, Dean hadn't anyone knowing he was in pain.
 
Sam finally left the room two days later when Dean went still in death. He had a few hours until Dean's heart would start to beat again and he needed to get supplies for when Dean woke.
 
TBC....