Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Samuel Michaels ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine
 
Chapter 8
 
Dean felt the blackness recede slowly from him and with it came pain. His whole body hurt and he felt incredibly weak. But the most pressing feeling was hunger, more intense than anything he'd ever felt. So when something was pressed to his lips he swallowed the thick liquid greedily. He managed to force his eyes open slightly only to moan in pain as it made the pain in his head spike.
 
“Shh, relax Dean. You're okay, rest now.” A soothing voice called and Dean found himself drifting back into the blackness.
 
Sam put the mug of blood aside as Dean drifted back into sleep. It was a good sign that he was starting to wake up and he had taken the blood willingly enough. He had a feeling that would change once Dean was feeling more himself. Hopefully Dean would accept his help and teachings; he didn't want to have to try to compel him to. This was one of the times he wished his Dad was still alive or even Nick. He really had no idea how to train a newbie.
 
Sam jumped as his cell phone rang and he paled when he say the caller. John really knew how to time his calls.
 
“Hello?”
 
“My son.” John asked and only Sam's enhanced hearing picked up the tremor in his voice.
 
“There was a faith healer, we made it in time. And then when we found out what was going on I had to stop the healer's wife.”
 
“So Dean is healed?”
 
“His heart's fine now.” Sam answered and he heard John's sigh of relief.
 
“Is he there?” Sam managed what he hoped sounded like a natural chuckle before he answered.
 
“You know Dean, what do you think he's doing to celebrate?” John laughed in relief.
 
“Right, don't let him know I called, it's not safe.” With that the call ended and Sam fell back onto the bed. That went well.
 
----------------------------
Dean groaned and opened his eyes only to squeeze them shut again in pain.
 
“Dean? Are you awake?” He groaned at Sam's voice but slowly opened his eyes again, blinking until Sam came into focus.
 
“Sam?” Dean croaked and Sam held a mug to his lips. Dean drank only to choke on the thick red liquid.
“What the hell?” He tried to get it off his lips only to find himself licking it off and enjoying the taste.
 
“You need to drink Dean; it will help you feel better.” Sam coaxed, holding the mug up again.
 
“Blood? Sam what happened?” Dean coughed and tried to sit up but was too weak to do so. Sam put the mug aside and helped him upright, putting pillows behind him so he'd be comfortable.
 
“What do you remember?” Sam asked and Dean frowned in thought.
 
“I remember frying the rawhead. And the hospital. Nebraska?”
 
“There was a faith healer, turns out his wife had bound a Reaper and that's how he was healing people.” Sam explained softly before taking a deep breath.
“You were pretty sick by then. We'd talked before about the option of me changing you to save you and you agreed to think about. When...when I got back from dealing with the Reaper you were whiter than the sheets and couldn't breathe. I found a note in your hand, it said do it. So I bit you. You woke up for the second bite and said that you definitely wanted it. It's been eight days since I found you that night.” Sam explained. Dean frowned in thought.
 
“So I'm not human anymore?” he asked roughly and Sam nodded.
 
“You're Vrykolakas now Dean, like me. That's why you need to drink this. While you can still eat normal food your body will crave blood. And if you don't give it what it needs, that's when you can lose control and hurt someone. I can teach you how to use your new abilities but you have to let me. I'd never do anything to put you at risk, you know that.” Sam told him and Dean looked down before nodding slowly and letting Sam put the mug to his lips.
 
Dean opened his mouth and then closed his eyes so he wouldn't have to see what he was doing. As the viscous liquid flowed into his mouth Dean could feel his fangs lengthening for the first time and it felt natural but weird. He drank thirstily, feeling his strength increase as the blood hit his system. It was odd not needing to come up for air but rather handy since he doubted he could stop drinking until it was all gone. Dean licked his lips when Sam took the empty mug away.
 
“Feel better?” Sam asked and Dean nodded.
“Doesn't taste as bad as you feared does it?” Sam teased and Dean found himself smiling slightly.
 
“Um, where did it come from?” Dean asked, wincing as his fang pierced his lip.
 
“You need to will them away Dean, just focus on the fangs going away.” Dean did as Sam said and he felt the fangs recede, much to his relief.
“As for the blood, it was old blood from the blood bank. Unusable to them but good for us.” Sam explained and Dean nodded.
 
“I still feel tired.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.
 
“You've been drifting in and out for the last few days, it's normal. You need sleep to adjust to the change. I'll be here when you wake up.” Sam helped him lay down again and Dean was instantly asleep. It was odd to see Dean so still in sleep, he was used to him moving around and sleeping mostly on his stomach.
 
-----------------------------------
Dean had been in and out of sleep for the last week but was finally managing to stay awake so Sam decided it was time to start his training. He hadn't told Dean about his father's call and had no plans to, they longer they were kept apart the better. There was no way John would think his son was still human if he saw him now. Dean had trouble keeping his fangs out of sight and his eyes changed at the drop of a hat. He had to get that under control before Sam could even think about teaching him how to hunt. In the meantime he needed to relearn his body's capabilities and limits. So sparing it was.
 
As a human Dean had been a great brawler but with the strength and speed of a Vrykolakas backing him he was incredible. Nowhere near Sam's level yet but in a couple of centuries it would be a closer match.
 
Dean snarled as Sam threw him to the ground again. Sam watched as his fangs lengthened and his eyes changed before Dean lunged recklessly. Sam easily caught him and pinned him to the wall. Dean struggled wildly, hissing and snarling and Sam tightened his grip, lunging in to rest his teeth against Dean's vulnerable throat. Dean stilled instantly at the scrape of teeth and then went limp in defeat. Once sure he wasn't faking Sam pulled back and Dean slid to the floor, head down. Sam sighed and sat beside him.
 
“It's instinct Dean. You'll learn to control those in time but until you do you're stuck here.” Sam told him. Here was an old manor house in the middle of nowhere. Not for Dean's safety but for those he might accidently attack.
 
“I just can't do it!” Dean growled and Sam sighed.
 
“You can, I know you can Dean. You have to believe you can do it.” Dean snorted in disbelief. Sam turned and made Dean face him.
“How many times have you pulled off the impossible? Compared to some of what you've done on hunts...you will get it.” Sam held his wrist tightly, trying to get through to him and Dean looked down again but nodded.
“Come on, you need to feed.” Sam helped him up and they headed inside to eat, well drink.
 
Dean took the mug and drank the blood without complaint, licking his lips clean when he was done and Sam found himself staring at that tongue before looking away quickly. It was bad enough he'd had strong feelings for Dean before changing him but now with that bond between them? It seriously sucked and not in a good way. He was just thankful the bond wasn't really two way or he'd be in trouble. Dean was a ladies man, finding out Sam liked him? He couldn't risk Dean running when he was so young and so he'd keep his feelings hidden. It was all he could do.
 
TBC...