Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Samuel Michaels ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 9
 
John stared at the small photo he kept in his wallet. In it he was holding Dean with one arm around Mary's shoulders. Cradled in her arms was a baby Sam. Their darling baby that never really got the chance to live. It was why he tracked the demon so relentlessly, not just for his beloved Mary but for a tiny life cut short. He remembered the dark hair and hazel eyes that stared at him in wonder. Sam had been a quiet, attentive baby unlike his loud brother. If only he had managed to grab little Sammy but the flames had been too hot. There were times he could swear he'd seen another figure in the flames reaching for the cradle but that was impossible. He knew the demon didn't have Sam and who else could have been there? And yet....his mind turned to Dean's hunting partner. A young orphan who shared his sons name and his eyes. Could it even be remotely possible that someone had pulled Sam from the flames that night? Maybe it was time to go see Dean again. Just to be certain.
 
----------------------------
Sam kept a loose grip on Dean's arm as he led the younger man into the bar. His control had improved to the point where Sam had decided it was time to teach him how to hunt. Even as a mortal Dean had had no trouble attracting potential partners so that part would be easy, it was the feeding that had him worried. But he couldn't lock Dean away from the world forever.
 
“See anyone you like?” He breathed into the shorter man's ear and smiled as Dean shivered. Thankfully the low lighting would help hide it if Dean's eyes changed while inside. Soon enough Dean found a young, half-drunk woman and steered her outside, Sam hovering close but unseen by her. She was giggling as she pulled Dean into a kiss and Sam felt a sharp spike of jealousy before he pushed it aside and moved closer.
 
“Take it slow Dean, enjoy your meal. Let her have fun too in payment. Feel her heartbeat quicken as you kiss her, slowly make your way down her throat nearly to her shoulder. Find the vein, like and suck at the skin to ready it.”Sam whispered in Dean's ear, gently guiding him in what to do and was pleased when Dean followed his instructions immediately.
“Be very gentle when you bite, not too much pressure, just enough to get the blood flowing. Take a few deep swallows and then carefully pull back. Lick the wound closed and then will your fangs to recede, don't want to scare her when you kiss her again.” When he was sure Dean wouldn't bite again he melted into the shadows to wait. He was a bit surprised when Dean stopped her from undoing his belt, instead his hand vanished up her skirt for a few minutes before he retreated and hid beside Sam. A few minutes to straighten herself up and she was gone. He smiled as Dean looked at him nervously.
“Brilliant Dean.” Dean smiled and Sam realised he'd been scared he'd done something wrong.
 
“Home?” Dean asked and Sam nodded, letting Dean lead. It was a surprise to hear Dean call the manor home but they had been there for nearly six months now. Sam had left Dean a few times to lay a false trial so that John wouldn't worry too much but other than that it had just been the two of them in the middle of nowhere. And it had done nothing to diminish what he felt for Dean.
 
Sam frowned as he noticed Dean seemed nervous as he pulled the Impala around the back of the manor so it wasn't noticeable from the road. They got out of the car and headed inside without talking; automatically going upstairs to the room they shared. He watched as Dean stripped off for bed before doing the same and crawling in on his side. The old place had plenty of bedrooms but they shared, partly out of habit from hotels on the road and partly so Sam could keep Dean close enough he'd know if the younger vampire needed anything. Sam could admit to himself that he simply liked having Dean so close, especially in the same bed.
 
Sam couldn't help smiling when Dean slowly crept closer to him in the large bed. He rolled to his side and extended his arm flat on the bed. Dean flushed slightly in embarrassment but then moved so he was lying on Sam's arm, letting Sam hold him close. Sam held on tightly but not tight enough to make Dean feel trapped, Dean still struggled with his instincts if he felt trapped. To his surprise Dean moved even closer, until there was no space between their bodies, almost clinging to him. He'd expected a few different reactions to his first hunt but this had not been one of them. And then he felt the warm liquid soak into his thin t-shirt and his heart broke.
 
This was his fault, he should have let Dean die human but he'd been selfish when he'd all but begged Dean to let him change him. He hadn't been willing to let Dean go where he couldn't follow and protect him. And now Dean was finally grieving for what he'd lost. Yes Dean was still alive to a certain point but he was also immortal, doomed to never change, never age. Sam still had a few years of aging to go over the next few centuries but Dean was frozen at twenty six for as long as he existed. Sam held Dean tighter as the soundless tears continued to fall. He'd brought Dean into this life; he'd stand by him and protect him for as long as he lived.
 
-------------------------------
John frowned as he checked again; worry creeping in as he received another negative answer. Not wanting to ring Dean just yet, considering he hadn't shown up while his son was dying, he'd rung all the usual contacts, checked Dean's credit cards and even checked for speeding tickets and the like with the Impala's plates. There was absolutely nothing, hadn't been since shortly after Dean had nearly died. Which left just one option, with shaking hands he hit speed dial one on his phone, all but holding his breath as it rang.
 
“Hello?” John finally managed to drag air into his lungs at the sound of Dean's voice.
 
“Hey Dean.” He finally answered and could have sworn he could hear the kid sit up straighter.
 
“Dad! Are you okay?” He smiled at the worry in his sons' voice.
 
“I'm fine. Where have you been? There's been no sightings of you for a while, I was worried.” John admitted, knowing Dean needed to hear those things occasionally.
 
“I'm okay. Don't know if you heard but I got pretty hurt on a hunt.”
 
“Sam called me; he also said you were okay, that he got you to a healer.” John frowned, had Sam lied?
 
“Yeah, my hearts okay. But...it just...I had to take a break for a bit Dad. I'm sorry. Even after being healed I nearly slept a whole month away. And Sam and I have spent time training together; getting the kid up to scratch and even leaning some new stuff myself.” John smiled as Dean practically babbled.
 
“Dean it's okay. I wish you'd called me to say you were taking a break so I would have known the reason you hadn't been seen but after such a close call...I'm just glad you're okay now.”
 
“Thanks Dad. I....love you.” John blinked in shock and then smiled.
 
“Love you too kid. Call me when you decide to head out again and I'll see if I have something for you. Bobby and Jim would like calls too. And Caleb wants your help with something.”
 
“Yes sir. Stay safe.”
 
“You too Dean.” John sagged in his chair as he put his phone down. Dean was okay. He'd have to arrange to meet up with the two boys soon, see Dean for himself and corner Sam with some questions on his past. The nagging thought of maybe still wouldn't leave him alone.
 
-------------------------------------
Dean watched Sam as he slept. He'd gotten so used to sharing a bed with the older male that he no longer even thought about it and honestly? It felt nice not being alone, even in sleep. Though sleep was a lot different now. For one, he didn't need anywhere near as much as he used to and two, he didn't dream anymore. It was odd but Sam said it was normal so he wasn't worried. Ever sharing a room with his Dad was out though, unless he told him the truth, no way would John Winchester miss the fact that his son wasn't moving or breathing.
 
But watching Sam sleep was something he'd found himself doing a lot over the past two months, ever since Sam had held him while he broke down like a girl after his first real hunt. Thankfully Sam had never said anything about his little breakdown and Dean had made sure to keep more control over his emotions since then. He hadn't even flinched when Sam praised him over his control when feeding from humans; Sam hadn't had to interfere once.
 
Sam fascinated him, had since they'd first met really. But since being changed that fascination had grown and deepened until he didn't know what he felt for the older man anymore. He just hoped Sam never found out, he didn't want him to leave. He didn't think he could survive without losing control if he did.
 
TBC....