Tales Of Syphona Fan Fiction ❯ Adbertos ❯ Chapter 3- Mistake ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You have been a most troublesome inferior being.”

Anna glared at the half-elf she had been brought before, fear cast aside as anger welled up within her. Mostly, she was angry with herself. If she had made wiser choices she was certain that she would not be in her current predicament. But there was no time for regrets now, not when she was surrounded by Desians.

The Desian who stood before her paced back and forth, smug about her recapture yet he still refused to look at her. Lord Kvar seemed disgusted by her presence. After he had assured himself that the gem implanted in her hand was unharmed he had begun a long tirade, belittling her in so many words.

Anna had scarcely paid heed to these insults, having long heard them. It was pointless to argue, to speak up, to fight back… all she had now was her anger, and even that was about to be stripped from her.

“Insolence!” Kvar cried, meeting her glare for glare. “You are quite daring aren’t you, A012?”

“My name is Anna,” she muttered, refusing to drop her eyes as she knew Kvar expected her to.

“Ha!” the half-elf shouted, turning away. “Such defiance for one in your predicament. But then, that is one of the reasons why you were chosen. We shall see if the guards can help relieve you of some of your excess vivacity.”

The look the half-elf gave her made Anna wish he had never looked at her at all. She felt as if a stone had been thrust into her stomach and found herself short of breath. The two guards either side of her seized her by the arms and began hauling her away; Anna did not have the first thought of struggling against the punishment that she knew was coming.

***

It was some time later that Anna awoke in the cold. Because it was cold she knew she was in one of the cells. With some effort she managed to pull herself into a seated position, wincing as gashes that had started to clot began freely bleeding again.

She raised a hand to her face, feeling around her eyes and mouth and sighing in relief. It seemed that she had been mostly successful in keeping them from striking her face; there was only a slight soreness above her left eye and her mouth felt uninjured. Her nose also seemed to be in good shape. She groaned as she took stock of the rest of her body.

Her already tattered dress was more so now; it hung in strips from where the lash had struck her, the faded cotton now spattered red with her blood. Sighing in exhaustion she leaned back against the wall of the cell, looking around her. The chamber was small and barren without any sign that it was inhabited by other prisoners.

Her stomach rumbled audibly; Anna felt it was unlikely that she would be given any food or water anytime soon. Frankly she felt lucky to be alive, but then given how Kvar had reacted to her capture… perhaps there was some truth to Maribelle’s words.

Fatigue caught up with her suddenly, making her dizzy. She rested her head against the wall, telling herself she would only close her eyes for a moment.

“Can’t go to sleep yet,” she told herself. “I must stay awake.”

But she was physically and emotionally drained, unable to command herself to stay alert; no sooner had the words left her lips than she was unconscious once more.

***

Kratos stood in the shelter of the forest looking out at the gates that led into the Asgard ranch, his brow furrowed in thought. He wasn’t at all sure why he had come here, why he sought to rescue this girl who obviously did not want his assistance. He had been here for some time now, unable to decide what his next move would be, effectively at an impasse.

Noishe whined beside him, nudging his hand.

“If she wanted to be rescued she wouldn’t have ran off, would she have?” he muttered, more to himself than to his companion. “Why should I make the effort to free her from this place? She does not want my help.”

The cream and teal furred creature sat on his haunches, yawning. He was used to the mutterings of his friend and patiently waited for the man to come to a conclusion; he only hoped that it would be soon.

“But she is involved in the Angelus project,” Kratos continued. “If Kvar is successful in creating a Cruxis Crystal then it will only give speed to Mithos’ plans. If I take her….”

He trailed off, not entirely convincing himself in this regard. True, taking Anna would definitely hinder the agenda of the Grand Cardinal but it would not put an end to his campaign. And Mithos… Kratos was certain that there was no force that could stop him. Or was there? Taking Anna would not stop him, but it could it be enough to slow things down?

It would be a start….

Sighing heavily the man looked down at the dog-like creature beside him. “What do you think Noishe?” The canine cocked his head, seeming puzzled. “Should we rescue Anna?”

The creature whined, rising to his feet and wagging his tail enthusiastically.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’,” Kratos muttered, looking back towards the gates. “Alright then, let’s go and meet with Lord Kvar and see what he has to say.”

With Noishe trailing him he stepped out from the cover of the trees, making his way towards the gates of the ranch. He was well aware that his brilliant white clothes would stand out in stark contrast to the deep greens of the forest surrounding him and was not at all surprised to find the gate open and the gatekeeper saluting smartly.

“Lord Kratos!”

“I wish to speak with Lord Kvar. Immediately.”

“Of course sir!” the gatekeeper agreed, gesturing towards the compound within. “The guard will see you to his chambers!”

Kratos looked up to meet the eyes of the guard whom he had met in the forest before Anna had wandered off. The half-elf saluted smartly, turning to lead the way. “Sir! You will be pleased to know that the Angelus project was located shortly after we spoke!”

“Indeed.”

The two men were silent save for the clipped footsteps that echoed through the halls; Noishe followed, nose to the ground as he investigated the ranch. Kratos quietly took stock of the ranch as well, noting the number of guards stationed and other obstacles that would hinder a breakout. It did not take long for them to come to a large pair of doors, the guard stopping and gesturing Kratos and the canine into the chambers.

“Lord Kvar will be within sir!”

Without a pause Kratos entered the room, his eyes coming to rest on a figure seated behind a desk.

“My Lord…!” Kvar exclaimed, seeming quite surprised. “I did not realize we were to have the… pleasure of your company!”

“Surely your guard informed you of my intentions to help you locate the Angelus project?” Kratos asked, raising an eye.

“Of course,” Kvar returned. “I am sure by now that you have been informed of the successful recovery of the item… and the thief.”

“Indeed,” Kratos feigned disinterest as he asked his next question. “And the project is unharmed? The thief punished?”

Kvar eyed him curiously. “Yes, of course. A012 is the host body for the Angelus project, so while she was appropriately punished we did not go so far as to end her life. The exsphere itself is in pristine condition.”

“Excellent.”

The half-elf continued to eye the man with suspicion. “And might I inquire as to why you were in this vicinity?”

“I do not see how that would concern you,” Kratos glared. “What is your meaning, questioning an angel of Cruxis?”

“I mean no disrespect, I assure you,” Kvar mummered, inclining his head slightly. “But it is odd for you to be descended upon the earth, is it not? Is all well with Lord Yggdrasill?”

“All goes according to plan.”

Kvar looked up, meeting his eye. “Does it now? You do know, Lord Kratos, that I am bound to report deserters to Lord Yggdrasill immediately, do you not?”

Kratos gave him a sharp look.

“He has been in contact with the five Grand Cardinals, my Lord,” Kvar continued, ignoring the glare he was receiving. “He has asked that we inform him immediately if you were to turn up. It is for your own good.”

***

Anna was startled awake by the echoes of angry shouts. She peered out of her cell, trying to find the source of the commotion. There did not appear to be anything out of the ordinary, yet the sounds of fighting were clear. It was out of sight for the moment, but it sounded as if it were coming nearer. Wincing she pulled herself to her feet, pressing her face to the bars of her cell, only to jump back as one of the guards struck out at her.

“Stay back!” he ordered, glaring at her.

Anna returned the glare but retreated further into her cell. The fighting was coming closer now, she could hear the shouts of the Desians.

“Watch out!”

“Keep away from his blade!”

She grimaced in thought, had a prisoner gotten hold of a sword or had someone broken into the ranch? She listened to the voices as they echoed closer still.

“Run!”

“Secure the prisoners! He’s heading for the cells!”

Someone was trying to free the prisoners? Anna slumped to the floor, startled by this information but not daring to hope that this mysterious swordsman would make it so far as the prisoner’s cells. There were too many Desians and only one to challenge them from the sound of it. They would bring him down soon she thought sadly.

She stared at the floor, eyes brimming with tears at the thought of the brave person sacrificing their life in the attempt to rescue the prisoners. A tear escaped, trailing down her cheek as she closed her eyes, offering a prayer for the suicidal would-be rescuer.

“Goddess, please, protect this careless savior. Allow him safe passage from this place of death. Do not allow him to make a meaningless sacrifice.”

The sounds of battle came closer and Anna pressed her eyes shut, not wanting to see this person cut down before her. She envisioned a young boy, bravely and recklessly struggling against the Desians, his young life cut down far before its expectancy.

“Goddess… please… hear my prayers.”

There was a horrendous screeching sound from somewhere far too close. The guard outside her cell shouted something that was swallowed up by the clashing of weapons. Anna closed her eyes tighter.

“Anna!”

She opened her eyes, gaping as her focus came to rest on the man kneeling before her.

“Kr… Kratos?”

He barely spared her a glance, looking nervously over his shoulder. “Are you able to run? We have to move quickly before more of them arrive.”

Run? Anna stared incredulously. She did not have time to think for long however; Kratos grabbed her hand and pulled her from the cell, dragging her along behind him.

“Wh… where are we going?”

“I don’t know,” Kratos answered, searching frantically. “We’ve got to find a way out of here first.”

Anna allowed herself to be pulled along, falling mute. Had he broken into the ranch for her? Why? And why had the Desians been chasing him before? A whine caught her attention and she looked up to see Noishe ahead of them, scratching at a door. Kratos followed the dog without hesitation, pulling Anna after him. He came to an abrupt halt on the other side of the door.

“The control room Noishe?”

The dog whined, sniffing in a frantic manner.

Kratos released Anna’s wrist, helping the animal search. Anna stood mutely, watching the two, completely bewildered. They seemed to communicate on a telepathic level, their search of the room was methodically and through. From behind her, on the other side of the door, she could hear shouts coming closer.

“Anna, see if you can figure out a way to lock that door.”

“Yes… how?”

“The console there, can you use it?”

“I’ll try.”

Frantically she stared at the machine, pressing buttons at random as the others searched for an exit. Above her images were projected, though Anna did not begin to comprehend what they meant. They seemed to be models of the ranch, different rooms perhaps, all of them a different color. Searching the buttons before her she found one with a symbol she recognized - a lock. With a feeling of triumph she pressed it, the model ranch above began to pulse and the door behind her clicked loudly.

“Good,” Kratos looked up. “That should by us some time.”

No sooner than he said this than the door gave a loud whump! Anna stared, backing away. Noishe began whining loudly, pawing at something near the console where Anna stood.

“Here?” Kratos asked, coming to investigate. The dog whined in response and Kratos set to work peeling away a section of the wall. As Anna watched a hole revealed itself; Kratos patted the dog. “Good work Noishe.”

“Where does it lead?” Anna asked.

Kratos looked up at her. “If I’m correct it should lead to a vent outside of the ranch.”

The door behind them gave a shudder as the Desians worked to open it.

“And if you’re not correct?” Anna asked.

“It’s either this or waiting for the Desians to break down the door,” Kratos shrugged, turning towards his dog. “Noishe, you go on ahead.” The creature did not telling twice - he crawled into the hole and was gone in a moment. “Are you coming Anna?”

She glanced between the hole and the door, looking back at Kratos. “Why did you come here?”

“We don’t have time for this right now,” he said, exasperated. “I promise I will explain everything when we are safely away from here.”

“But….”

“Come on Anna,” he interrupted. “Trust me.”

She nodded, “I’m sorry about… earlier.”

“If that is so then please, don’t waste time here,” Kratos replied. “Let’s go.”

Hoping that this time she was making the right choice Anna ducked, crawling into the hole. Standing would be impossible here so she crawled forward, the only direction available. Behind her she could hear Kratos entering the tunnel, there was a soft scraping sound and suddenly everything went pitch black.

“What…?”

“Stay quiet,” Kratos hissed. “I’ve closed the wall behind us. Just keep going forward.”

Swallowing Anna placed one hand in front of her, blindly moving forward. Her heart raced wildly as her eyes strained to make out the path before her. It was terrifying moving towards the unknown, unable to see.

“You’re fine,” Kratos whispered softly. “Just keep moving forward, Noishe is just ahead.”

She wondered if he could hear her heart beating furiously. She could hear him breathing behind her and a soft clicking sound from further ahead which she desperately hoped was Noishe. She stared ahead of her, trying to make out anything, willing her eyes to find shapes in the inky darkness.

This, however, only made her eyes ache and as she became aware of this discomfort she began to notice others as well. Her arms were sore and felt like they were turning into rubber; she wasn’t sure how much longer she would be able to crawl forward without collapsing. Every time she inched forward the movement would pull at the gashes along her back, the wounds stinging as they rubbed against the tattered remains of her dress.

“Just a little further,” Kratos said behind her.

Anna sighed, hoping he was right. As she stared ahead she thought she could make out a shade of gray against the black that surrounded them. She blinked, trying to clear her vision, wondering if she were seeing things. The gray patch remained, becoming even clearer. Now she could make out a familiar canine outline. She hurried forward, eager to be out of the confined tunnel.

When she reached Noishe she was startled to see that there were bars blocking the exit from the vent. She turned, looking back at Kratos.

“Move to the side,” he ordered, glancing at the bars. “Both of you.”

Doing as she was bid Anna crouched against the dog, watching as Kratos squeezed past them and approached the bars. It was hard to determine what he was doing, but when he moved back again two of the bars had been bent in such a way that the three inside the vent could get out.

Noishe immediately leapt from the vent, shaking himself before turning expectantly towards the other two. Anna shakily crawled forward, pulling herself out of the vent and glancing around fearfully, half expecting a squad of Desians to be waiting for them. The surrounding forest was quiet though, with no sign that anyone was nearby.

“We should keep moving,” Kratos said, brushing himself off as he stood. “They’ll send out search parties and we should get as far away from here as we can before we rest.”

Anna nodded, having not the energy to reply. She stood, wincing slightly, and started forward, only to stop at the sharp intake of breath behind her. Afraid that it was too late and they had been spotted by their pursuers she glanced around frantically, noticing nothing unordinary. Turning back she found Kratos regarding her with an appalled look.

“What’s wrong?”

“They did this to you?” he asked, waving a hand at her. “This was their punishment?”

Anna blushed lightly, looking away.

Healing stream.”

Anna gasped as a swirl of green light enveloped her, seeking out her wounds and pouring into them. She looked up at the man across from her in shock as the light faded and the light breeze died down.

“How did you…?”

“Something else to explain later,” he told her, ignoring her surprise, still staring at her. He removed the cloak-like over garment he wore, holding it out to her. “I’m afraid there isn’t much to be done about your dress but at least you will be able to move faster now that your wounds are healed. When you tire Noishe will carry you; I’m afraid we won’t be able to stop for some time.”

Nodding dumbly Anna took the offered garment, draping it around her. It was much too big, but at least it covered her. Seeming satisfied Kratos began to lead the way, Anna following while Noishe sprinted ahead. She was pleasantly surprised at how much better she felt, almost reenergized as well as healed. They continued through the trees for some time before they came to the edge of the forest, Anna instantly recognized where she was.

“Luin is this way.”

“Yes,” Kratos acknowledged. “It is the closest town, and perhaps the best place to seek refuge for a time.”

Anna nodded in agreement, smiling softly. “Luin… is my home.”

Kratos looked up at her, examining her face. Anna looked away, glancing over the land that stretched before them. She had little doubt that they would find shelter in Luin; surely there would still be some who would recognize her, and the priest at the chapel would grant her sanctuary. She sighed as she looked back at Kratos.

“When was the last time you ate?” he asked.

She blinked, surprised by the choice of question. “Um… I’m actually not very sure.”

He raised an eye, studying her. “I’ll take that to mean it has been awhile. There’s an apple tree growing over there-” he pointed towards the right of the path “-we’ll take a few as we pass.”

The topic of food on her mind caused her stomach to growl. She smiled, shaking her head. “That sounds like a wonderful idea.”

After filling a small pack with apples the trio started off in the direction of Luin. The path was easy enough to travel, mostly plains with a few rolling hills. Anna had guessed by the angle of the sun that they had escaped from the Asgard ranch during the early afternoon; the bright orb had passed its zenith and was slowly sinking back towards the horizon.

Pulling an apple from the pack Anna sniffed it, savoring the smell before biting into it. She found that she was ravenous and quickly polished off two of the fruits. She looked up and watched Noishe as he galloped ahead of them, pausing every so often to look back to where they followed.

Kratos walked slightly ahead of her, never getting too far. He had been silent for the majority of their journey and Anna had been grateful for the silence between them. She still wasn’t sure what to make of his rescue.

The quiet gave her plenty of time to reassess her position. Perhaps she had been wrong about him; so far he had done nothing to betray her and had in fact rescued her twice. It was true he had not been very forthcoming with information, but had he not promised to explain everything? She could be patient and let him explain in his own time. She stared at the back of his head, wondering how long she would have to wait.

Looking away she began mentally tallying the reasons why she should keep following him. First and foremost were the questions she wanted answered that he seemed to have the answers to. The gem on her hand, for starters. What was the Angelus project exactly? It seemed to be valuable, but why? And just why was Kratos so concerned about who had possession of it?

Then there was this latest rescue; what had that been about? Had he really broken into the ranch just to rescue her? It had seemed at the time that the Desians had been attacking him long before he had broken into the area where the prisoners were kept. If they had known he was after her Anna was sure there would have been more than one guard outside her cell. So what had he done to anger the Desians he claimed to work with?

Sighing heavily she continued along, the light fading as the sun began to bleed into the horizon. He was an enigma, that much was certain. Anna knew he had to be hiding something, but what?

“Luin is not much further,” Kratos said, breaking the silence. “We should make it before we loose the light.”

She nodded in reply, beginning to recognize her surroundings. As soon as they came around the hill before them they would be able to see Lake Sinoa. They would come to the first bridge to cross into Luin soon after that.

“We need to do something about that exsphere on your hand,” he continued.

“Exsphere?” Anna questioned, looking at the gem. “That is its name?”

Kratos nodded. “Yes, although the Desians intend for the one you wear to become something more. It is a very special, very powerful exsphere if I were to guess. It won’t do for anyone to know of its existence.”

“Should I pull it off?” she asked, “It wouldn’t hurt too much, and if you’re able to do healing artes then….”

She trailed off as Kratos shook his head, worry touching his eyes. “That would be unadvisable. The damage caused by the exsphere’s removal would be greater than what my healing abilities could manage.”

“How should I hide it?” Anna asked, looking up. “I have no gloves, nothing to cover my hands.”

“What about your dress?” Kratos suggested. “The hem is in ribbons; you could tear part of it off and wrap it around your hand like a bandage.”

“Yes,” Anna paused, bending down and grasping the hem of the dress, easily tearing off a strip of the mangled material. “You’ll have to tie it, I’m not very good using my left hand.”

She held out the strip of cotton, Kratos taking it and gingerly wrapping it around her hand. He tied a firm knot in the makeshift bandage.

“Something is not right about you,“ she said softly, staring at him, concerned about what she detected in his eyes. He looked up at her, the scrutiny of her gaze making his skin tingle. “There’s a lot you haven’t told me. Are we safe enough now?”

Kratos sighed heavily. “I promised that I would answer some of your questions, and I will. But there are more important things that we must attend to first. When we are safely in Luin and you have rested-”

“I am alert enough to hear your explanation,” Anna interrupted. “Besides, I don’t think I’ll really be able to rest until I know what is going on.”

“Regardless, I will explain things when I feel the time is right,” Kratos insisted.

Anna sighed, walking away towards the lake. She rounded the small knoll that blocked the view, hearing Kratos following behind her. The lake sparkled in the dying light of the sun, the colors of sunset reflected off its surface bathing the shore in a fiery crimson glow.

“We should go to Luin now,” Kratos said quietly.

Anna nodded, looking across the lake at the city nestled between the waters. “Yes, I’m ready to go home.”