Tales Of Syphona Fan Fiction ❯ Adbertos ❯ Chapter 10- Reservations ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anna fought back a yawn, twisting her fingers through Noishe’s thick fur. She wasn’t sure how long they had been running, but the promise of dawn was on the horizon. The dog-like creature gave no sign that he was weary, nor did the man sitting behind her. This irritated Anna to no end - how could they be so alert when every fiber of her being cried out in exhaustion?

She was afraid to sleep, to close her eyes would certainly mean falling from her perch. Aside from embarrassment she was certain that Kratos would lecture her about remaining alert. When would they ever stop?

As if hearing her silent cries Noishe began to slow, the breakneck sprint becoming a gentle jog. Behind her Kratos shifted and Anna turned her head to find the mercenary looking behind them.

“What are you looking for?”

Her voice sounded strange to her own ears after the silence of the past few hours. Kratos did not bother turning to face her as he replied. “I’m making sure we’re not being followed.”

“Followed?” Anna shook her head, yawning as Noishe came to a halt. “They were all asleep, and you loosed their horses and oxen. How would they follow us?”

The only answer she received was a soft snort as the man slid off Noishe’s back. He patted the creature on the nose, looking up at Anna. “We’ll go just a little further, then you can rest.”

She nodded in reply, holding tight to Noishe as he began to pad after Kratos. The ground around them began to rise and they followed the slope in its accent. They passed through a grove where the trees were spaced widely apart. Birds chirped a morning song welcoming the day as small animals began to wake in their burrows. All of this was lost on Anna, who struggled to keep her eyes open.

The trees began to thin after a time, the sparkle of water shining through the trunks. Had they really come as far as the sea? Anna scarcely dared to hope, but her sight was fixed on the promise of water that lay ahead.

As they entered the clearing the body of water revealed itself to be a lake. Kratos paused on the verge, silently gazing around the lake before giving a small nod.

“This will do for now,” he pronounced. “We’ll set up camp here for the time.”

Anna slid gratefully from Noishe’s back, stumbling on legs that were suddenly clumsy.

“No fires,” Kratos continued, slinging their pack on the ground and stalking off around the lake. “Stay here with Noishe.”

Anna opened her mouth, intending to bitterly retort at being ordered around, only to yawn hugely. Exhaustion coursed through her and she turned to her canine companion, raising an eye. “Guess we should get some sleep while we can. No telling when His Highness will decide it’s time to leave.”

Noishe snorted softly, trotting to the edge of the lake to lap water. Grabbing the pack Anna looked around, finding a likely place to lie down beside some stunted bushes. Settling down with the pack under her head it wasn’t long before she was asleep.

***

Kratos paused on the far side of the lake, looking back towards the place where Noishe sat keeping watch over Anna. The girl was curled up under some bushes near the edge of the water, her head on the pack he had dropped.

Biting back a snort of irritation he continued on around the lake. Why should he care if she used the pack for a pillow and squashed the bread flat? He wouldn’t be eating it anyway.

She was naïve and reckless, a dangerous combination on an already dangerous journey. What he was thinking dragging her along he still didn’t know, but there were no other suitable options. Anna would be in danger no matter where she was so it only made sense to keep her close.

Drawing his sword he swung it carelessly at a stand of tall weeds, lopping them off. Something about this place was bothering him, making him terribly uneasy. He paused at the edge of the water, staring at the calm surface on which a perfect reflection of the sky rested. All was still - the water, the wind, the very sound that had previously permeated the air.

Kratos looked up sharply, his eyes flicking towards the spot where Noishe sat. His companion gave no sign of distress, showed no hint of the uneasiness that Kratos felt. Kicking at the loose soil he turned to follow the shore back to their makeshift camp.

As he followed the shoreline he scrutinized his surroundings, wariness growing. He had not gone far when he came across an overgrown clearing. To any other observer it would seem to be nothing, a small, empty space with trees on three sides facing the lake. Kratos felt as if electricity were running through his veins as his eyes traveled over the tall grasses and ancient trees.

Off to the far side there had been a fallen tree that had provided a place to sit other than the ground. Over there they had found a slight dip in the ground and dug a fire pit. They had been running low on supplies, so they had been forced to forage for their dinner. He had hunted in these trees, while the others had set up camp or gathered berries. Someone had found a pear tree bearing overripe fruit. They had ate like kings and queens, then there had been story-telling, music and laughter that slowly turned into stern admonishments to go to sleep.

With a shudder Kratos forced himself to move away from the place, shaking his head to dislodge the memories. The echoes of panpipes seemed to follow him, haunting his footsteps. As soon as Anna woke they would leave this place.

***

The last rays of the sun’s light were kissing the horizon when Anna finally woke. Her stomach rumbled, demanding sustenance and she turned her attention to the bag that had served as her pillow. There was not much there; a bit of bread, some cheese, an apple and half a flagon of water.

She pulled out the apple, there were a few soft spots however she disregarded these and bit into the fruit. Sweet juice trickled down her chin and she wiped it away with a sleeve as she chewed, relishing the sweet and tart flavors that mixed in her mouth. Looking around she found Noishe and Kratos standing at the edge of the water, staring across the lake to the opposite shore. Following their gaze Anna tried to see what had caught their interest. It seemed to her a clearing like any other, overgrown with tall grasses and devoid of trees.

Polishing off the apple she stood, stretching the stiffness out of her arms and legs. Noishe turned his head, glancing her way before turning back to nudge Kratos’ hand. The mercenary looked down at the dog, then back towards her. Anna froze as his eyes met hers.

Before his eyes had always been focused, determined and certain. Anna had detested the hard, unnatural way his eyes looked. Now his eyes were hesitant and distracted; Anna was certain that she liked this look even less. As he turned back to look across the lake once more Anna walked down the shore.

She found herself incredibly grateful for the boots Kratos had the foresight to give her as she crunched across the rocky ground. Her slippers wouldn’t have stood a chance against the stones and course terrain. If only they had remembered the package with the traveling clothes. While the gown was a great improvement on the rags she had worn it was still cumbersome and difficult to move in.

She paused at the edge of the lake, Noishe between her and Kratos, and looked across at the clearing. It appeared no different from this vantage point, just an isolated spot next to the lake. Taking a breath she turned to look at the man beside her.

“Is there something wrong?”

There was no answer.

Well, that figures, thought Anna. She decided to try another approach. “Do you think maybe it would be better if we moved the camp over there?”

“No, we’re not staying.”

Anna stared at him, “But the sun has set, it’ll be dark soon.”

“It will be easier for us to travel then,” Kratos replied, still not looking at her.

“Won’t it be dangerous?”

“Lingering here would be an even greater danger.”

“Do you even know where we are?” Anna pressed, gazing at him intently. “I don’t see what good it would do to go wandering around without any idea where we are or where we are headed.”

“I know where we are,” Kratos told her, finally turning to her. Anna was relieved to see the familiar focused look in his eyes.

“Where?”

He studied her a moment, as if determining if he should even bother telling her. This look infuriated Anna and she opened her mouth to say as much.

“Lake Umacy,” he said, turning back to look across the water.

“Lake Umacy?” Anna echoed, looking back at the lake.

She had heard of this place, though she had never been here. It was a fair distance from Luin, the journey of a day or two. As a girl she had studied maps of Sylvarant under the guidance of Father Gregori and the other priests that passed through. She had loved to hear stories from travelers of the places she had studied on the maps.

A bitter taste filled her mouth at the thought of Father Gregori. She had trusted him, believed him, and he had betrayed not only her but all the people of Luin. And for what? What had he gained? What had he hoped to gain?

Resentment filled her as she glared at the water, her vision clouded by anger. Her blood boiled with indignation and suddenly she gasped in pain. The exsphere on her hand throbbed, red-hot needles stabbed through her. The pain turned to agony and she found herself sitting on the ground, clutching at the offending hand, her vision obscured with tears.

Oh Martel, what is happening to me? Anna thought as she screamed. The pain seemed to be intensifying and she was terrified. Her hand felt as if it were on fire and she remotely remembered being next to the water. Blindly she reached for the water, expecting to feel the cool relief at any moment. Again and again she reached out, desperate now, her fear slowly turning to panic.

“Anna, calm down.”

“I can’t!” she gasped. “I can’t find the water!”

“You must calm down. You are aggravating your condition.”

“But it’s burning!” she cried. “Where is the water? I need to put out the fire!”

“Your hand is not on fire,” Kratos’ voice was calm. “The water is right here.”

Her fingers brushed the water and she lunged forward, submerging her arm. She gasped at the shock of the cold, shaking in relief and exhaustion as the pain ebbed away and her vision cleared. The exsphere still throbbed, but not with such intensity. The pain was definitely more manageable now.

Turning her head she found Kratos beside her, studying her with a look of intense concentration. He had one arm wrapped around her waist, his other hand grasped her arm where he had thrust it into the lake. Anna swallowed hard, realizing what had happened. She had been paralyzed by the pain, unable to move. If it had not been for Kratos she would have been consumed completely by the pain… and then what? She shuddered at the thought, what little strength she had failing her completely.

“Don’t start that again,” Kratos warned, his eyes narrowing. “You are going to have to learn to control your emotions.”

“W-what happened?” she breathed, staring at her hand as she withdrew it from the water. “Why did my hand start burning like that?”

“I’m not certain what initiated the reaction,” Kratos replied, sitting her down on the ground. “Your exsphere seems to be reacting to intense emotional imbalances.”

Anna stared at the gem, it seemed to pulse slightly, but it was difficult to tell in this light. The sun had set and only the a faint glow remained. “Why? What is going to happen?”

***

Kratos stared at her for a moment. It certainly wouldn’t do to tell her that the little gemstone was feeding off her, slowly leeching her life force away. No, that would only cause her to panic once more and there was no guarantee dowsing her hand in the lake would immobilize the gem a second time.

“I… am not certain,” he lied. “We must continue our journey and locate a dwarf to make a key crest for you. When we have acquired one the exsphere can be removed from your hand.”

“Does your exsphere ever cause you pain like this?” Anna asked, looking up at him. Her eyes still swam with pain, and it was clear to see that she was completely exhausted from the ordeal.

“No, it does not,” he replied softly, then added. “That is why we must obtain a key crest for you as soon as possible.”

Anna nodded, then yawned. “Yes, the sooner the better.”

Kratos turned towards Noishe, who had stood nearby watching. The creature gave him a long look, one that seemed to agree with Anna. Standing up he shook the dust from his fur, trotting over to join the two. Kratos patted the creature’s shoulder, “Are you up to carrying her for awhile Noishe?”

“I can walk,” Anna argued, making no move to stand. “Just let me rest for a moment and I’ll be fine.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Kratos frowned. “We can travel faster if you let Noishe carry you.”

“I’m not helpless you know,” Anna looked up at him, her jaw set stubbornly.

“I did not say you were,” he replied. “But your misplaced sense of pride will only hinder us.”

Anna looked down at her lap and Kratos mistakenly took this as a sign of concurrence. He opened mouth to speak, only to freeze as her head jerked up, her eyes blazing with an unfamiliar fire.

“I’m as proud as I am helpless,” she growled, her eyes fixed on him penetratingly. “I may not know much, but I’m willing to learn. I know that I am not weak, I am not helpless, and I am certainly not proud. I am not some damsel in constant need of rescuing!”

Her voice softened a bit as she continued, “I know this is likely going to be a long and dangerous journey. The only way I can see us succeeding is to work together - and that means you have to trust me. I don’t want to be a burden.”

Kratos stared at her, the only sign of his disturbance an almost imperceptible widening of his eyes. Clearing his throat and masking his face with a casual look of hauteur he spoke. “You are right, we both need to learn to trust one another. I do not mistake you for being weak or helpless.”

Anna’s chin rose in triumph, her eyes gleaming, yet Kratos was not finished speaking.

“As you are eager to learn allow me to present your first lesson: heeding the advice given to you. The journey we make will indeed be long, and as you are currently weakened I strongly suggest you allow Noishe to carry you while you replenish your strength. This would aid our cause greatly.”

It was now Anna’s turn to look abashed. She made a great show of picking herself up off the ground and dusting off her ill-fitting dress. Holding her head high she made her way to Noishe’s side, patting the canine on the shoulder and looking him in the eye. “So long as you don’t mind Noishe?”

The creature shook his entire body, giving her a wide doggy grin that Anna took as assent. Hiding her answering grin Anna took hold of Noishe’s fur, pulling herself up onto his back. Looking away from Kratos she spoke flatly, “Are you ready to leave then?”

Suppressing a grimace Kratos bent to pick up the nearly empty pack, turning with a harrumph to stalk away from the clearing, Noishe following behind.

***

By the time the they had left behind the trees surrounding Lake Umacy darkness griped the land and a chill wind blew in from the east. They traveled directly into the wind, skirting around some low hills. Anna remained silent, blinking away tears from wind stung eyes. Closing them she held tight to Noishe and inhaled the stiff salty breeze. She could almost see the waves of the ocean, foaming white like the pictures in the books she had read. It was with a mixture of immense relief and sorrow when they turned, putting the wind at their backs as they traveled south and west.

Kratos kept a steady pace, grateful for the silence in which they traveled. Noishe padded just behind, keeping at his elbow in the easy companionship they had been accustomed to traveling in. He had put the hills between them and the road that traveled south. Between the dark and some degree of luck he hoped to avoid any more travelers, at least until they reached their destination.

If they kept to this pace they should soon reach a House of Salvation. While Kratos held little patience with the beliefs of the priests he knew they would not turn away the two travelers. Indeed, the priests would see it their duty, given to them by Martel, to provide shelter and protection to the two road-weary souls.

With a soft snort of contempt Kratos picked up his pace, Noishe easily matching it. Turning his head Kratos glanced back at Anna, who looked straight ahead, her lips pressed together in a thin line. Usually she was never silent and would be asking a thousand questions as to their destination and the course they were taking. While he was grateful for her silence he was also unnerved by it.

That she was angry there was little doubt. She would get over it, or spend the remainder of their journey in silence. Kratos had little preference for either option. Perhaps there was something he could do, a way to make her feel more useful. It would be a great advantage for him if she were able to at least defend herself.

He was brought out of his thoughts of strategies and techniques by Anna’s voice. Turning his head he looked at her and she pointed to something ahead of them.

“That looks like a light,” she repeated. “What should we do?”

Kratos paused, peering into the distance. The light Anna had spotted seemed stationary. It was soft and steady, a small point of light like that from a candle.

“We continue on,” he announced after a moment. “I believe that is our destination.”

“But what if it’s a campfire? It could be those slavers.”

“A campfire would be larger, flickering,” Kratos replied. “That light is soft and steady, from a candle most likely.”

Anna nodded, her eyes glued to the light, “So, what is our destination then?”

“A House of Salvation,” Kratos’ voice was low. “We should be safe enough there.”

Without giving her pause for another question he hurried on, leaving Noishe to catch up with him. As they drew closer the light grew brighter and the rounded silhouette of a small chapel took shape. Approaching cautiously they made their way to the door, Anna slipping from Noishe’s back. Kratos turned to his faithful companion, patting his nose.

“Best if you find yourself a place to lie low back along the path we came,” he advised his friend. “We’ll leave at first light. Wait for us just behind the chapel.”

With a wag of his tail Noishe trotted off, disappearing into the shadows of the night. Turning back to Anna he gave a small nod and the girl fell in step behind him as they walked up to the door.

The door was unlocked, as was the custom of these small roadside chapels. A priest sat behind a small desk, a candle sitting before him as he poured over a thick tome. He looked up as Kratos and Anna entered, smiling softly.

“My children, come in for you must be weary,” he greeted. “And the night is quite dark.”

Kratos nodded his agreement. “Thank you. As you see it is just myself and the girl. We are looking for lodging for the night. Might you have a bed to spare?”

“Yes, yes, quite,” the priest stood, coming forward. “Come, I’ll show you to a room. It is not much, but it is warm and dry. You are welcome to join us in the morning for prayers at the alter before we break our fast. It is not much, for our lives are quite humble, but what we have we are blessed to share.”

“We thank you kindly,” Kratos murmured, looking around for Anna.

The girl was standing in the center of the room, staring towards the alter at the far end of the round room. The priest followed her gaze, stepping forward and smiling.

“Our alter,” he explained. “You are welcome to offer your prayers.”

“Perhaps in the morning,” Kratos interrupted. “We have traveled far and are most weary.”

“Of course, of course, quite,” the priest smiled, turning back to him. He lead them across the room towards a small staircase. “If you will follow me I’ll show you to a room.”