Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ A New Hope ❯ Hospital Scene ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Closed eyes. The smell of burning wood and flesh. Crying children, calling out for dead parents. Shrieks of mad laughter from above. Open eyes. Destruction, chaos all around. Dead bodies littering the streets of the burning city. Pieces of past friends among the wreckage. An agonized cry erupting from your throat. Tears welling up in burning eyes. An intense hatred for the ones who did this. It was all Craven knew now as he watched Scarlett and her unnamed sister flying to him like demons on wings as black as their souls. Their cackles cut into his heart like a knife.
 
This nightmare wouldn't end, would it? It never would until they were caught and brought to justice, or even killed. But would it go that far?
 
The harpies' claws became as sharp as knives. They stood on either side of his pathetic body, cackling all the more as they tore his heart out and cut it in two, sharing it with each other. He screamed.
 
“AAHHHHH! STOP! GET AWAY FROM ME!”
 
Craven bolted upright, soaked in a cold sweat, heart pounding away in his chest. His breath coming in short gasps; he gazed around the room as he calmed down. A pale blue hospital curtain surrounded him, and behind the curtain there was the shadow of a very feminine figure waiting in the darkness.
 
“Who…who's there?”
 
The curtain drew back. There stood his old friend, Red X. She entered, looking down at him. He looked down at himself. The cover was at the foot of the bed now, and on his chest there was a large bandage covering the bullet hole.
 
Was I…. was I really shot?
 
“Hey baby…how you feeling?” X removed her mask, showing her pretty face and red hair in the dim light. His exposed left eye shown with relief at her presence.
 
“As good as a person who's been shot should feel. Thanks for coming.”
 
“Came as soon as I heard and could slip in. Still wanted, you know.”
 
He smiled weakly.
 
“Glad you did, Angel.”
 
Angel smiled and leaned down closer to him, her brilliant gray eyes staring into his. She kissed his lips tenderly.
 
“Just doing what any girl would do for a shot boyfriend. You know, though, most girls don't put up with drunks, but I put up with shot ones. Must be your lucky day.”
 
The doorknob rattled.
 
“Craven? You up in there?”
 
Disappointment was visible in both of their eyes.
 
“You should get going.”
 
“Yeah, I'll be back. Get better.”
 
He nodded and she hurried to the window, opened it, and jumped out just before Robin opened up the door.
 
“Hey Crave. You up and everything?”
 
“Hi Robin. Yeah, I'm up. Any news on Scarlett and her mystery sister?”
 
“Well, at least I know its you-asking about the bad guy before yourself. Well, sources say that her sister's name is Ruby, Black Ruby on the underground circuit. They're working for each other now. On what, we still have yet to determine. But it's bad, and that's certain.”
 
“Hmm…how long did they say until I'm good enough to go home?”
 
“Well, somehow, while Fire was carrying you here, your body expelled the bullet from your chest. So they said given that, without running tests, within a few weeks. And hey, I was wondering, since when did you wear Bright Pink lipstick?”
 
She was smirking, and Craven wiped his mouth in surprise.
 
Busted…
 
“Oh, you know, experimenting with what looks good on me and what doesn't.”
 
“Riiight. I believe you. Anyway, who are you appointing leader in your absence?”
 
“Fire for now. Speaking of which, how are you all taking this?”
 
“Fine, as to be expected as a group whose leader was just shot almost fatally in the chest. Yes, almost fatally, off from the heart by a few centimeters. Consider yourself lucky.”
 
“I do. Send Fire in, will you?”
 
“Sure.”
 
She got up and left, and in a moment Fire stood by his bedside.
 
“What's up?”
 
“Fire, I'm putting you in charge until I can come home to the Tower. Think you can manage?”
 
“Sure will try, Craven. Oh, and Terrence sends his best. He had some earthquakes to take care of elsewhere.”
 
“Okay. Thanks.”
 
“Hey man, feel better.”
 
“Seems everybody is saying that now.”
 
Fire turned to leave, then stopped and turned back to face him.
 
“Oh, and Craven, Bright Pink is sooo your color.”
 
Fire turned and left without waiting for a reply.