Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Desperate ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Desperate
Raven set down the laundry basket she was holding. There was an odd sound coming from the room beside hers, like a struggle going on. Deciding to ignore it while she could, she placed the final clothes in the basket and peered next door.
It was like a battle field. Toys were strewn about, food was spilt all over the carpet and walls, and two figures, one in a high chair, the other standing, were struggling against each other.
Somehow she wasn't surprised the two had made such a mess. Put Gar in a room alone for long enough, and he'll make a mess twice this.
Gar was trying to yank something out of the child's hands. He had a desperate look on his face; Mark wore something more belligerent.
"What's going on?" she asked sternly.
Gar jumped back, and Mark claimed his prize with a triumphant squeal.
"N-nothing," her husband said quickly.
She shed him a sarcastic smile and lifted her hand. Whatever Mark had clutched to was absorbed in her aura and carried back to her. He let out a horrified cry.
"What's this?" she asked, holding up a beaded necklace with a raven hanging on the end.
"Th-that?" Gar said even more quickly, attempting to snatch it out of her hands, "I-I dunno. I just sorta... found it."
"You're lying," she said jokingly and handed the necklace back to him.
"I might be. Doesn't mean you should be suspicious or anything."
"Neckwace!" Mark cried loudly, slamming his fists against the table, "Raven neckwace!"
Raven glanced at Gar with her grin still on her face. "Well if it's nothing, maybe you should let him have it. He'd like it."
Gar had worked himself into a corner. "Fine. I was gonna give it to you for your birthday. Thought you might like it."
"Aw, but he likes it more," she took the necklace from his hands and kissed him tenderly. Behind them, Mark made a gagging noise before continuing on with his chanting.
"You can buy me something else," she said and placed the necklace around Mark's neck. "He looks cuter in it."
"Fine," Gar grinned, "But don't expect something big for your birthday."
She picked up the laundry and shook her head.