Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Things Change & The End? ❯ Haven't got a friend in the world ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
It all started back at the Murakami School, where Beast-Boy was just told by Terra that she wanted nothing to do with him and wanted to pursue a normal life, without him and the Titans, and that Beast-Boy had to accept the facts that…
 
“Things Change, Beast-Boy! The girl you want me to be is just a memory.”
 
They stood at opposite-sides of the bright window, gazing deeply at one another, like cowboys ready to draw. Beast-Boy had a very comical look on his face as if his heart had stopped beating. After Robin had called and told him to come and help the team fight-off the White Monster, he tried one last time to persuade the only girl he ever loved, and ever could love…
 
“Come with me…”
 
She shook her head, “You go. You're the Teen Titan. That's who you are. That's not me. I'm not a hero… I'm not out to save the world. I'm just a girl with a geometry test next period and I haven't studied.”
 
The bell rang, and she disappeared in the crowd of students, officially shattering his heart into pieces too small to fit back together again. “Beast-Boy to Robin… I'll be right there! Over.” He said in a very despondent voice, and he dashed out of the building leaving only a trail of angry and miserable tears in the wind as he ran.
 
 
With Beast-Boy there to sniff out where the White-Monster was hiding, even if he merged with other elements, the Titans had won and the monster was captured and taken off to prison. The other four Titans…
 
Excluding Copy-Cat, whom they had not yet met…
 
They cheered for joy, and decided to go for pizza to celebrate their first victory after coming home from fighting the brotherhood of evil, only… Beast-Boy didn't want to go. “You okay, man…?” Cyborg asked.
 
“I'm fine!” he said and he left in a slight huff. The Titans didn't know where he was going, but, “Okay… what's got him so worked up?” Raven asked.
 
“We are victorious, and our friend does not feel grateful?” Starfire asked. “Perhaps he still has claimed to have seen Terra?”
 
Robin placed a hand on her shoulder, “I don't think so.” He said. Obviously all the others still believed that Beast-Boy was only seeing Terra because he missed her so much. They decided just to let him cool off whatever was bugging him… but if they only knew…
 
 
Beast-Boy had gone to the underground caverns and sat by Terra's pedestal, he Statue still missing, and the plaque that read, “Terra! A Teen Titan. A True Friend.” IT was pretty much one of the only things he had left of her, apart from her bedroom at the tower.
 
His tears just wouldn't stop falling, but he couldn't sob as it hurt way too much. IT wasn't just the loss of Terra that was eating him up… it was his entire life.
 
How he got sick when he was less than five years old, and being mutated. Then losing his parents in a boating accident, and his many foster families after that, leaving him alone and unloved for no reason.
 
Nobody showed him care, and respect, and he spent a great deal in the streets and nearly killed by ruthless people if weren't for the Doom Patrol, but even that didn't last as Mento's slime-ball attitude forced him to be expelled. Then came the Titans, and how he used bad jokes and mischief for really hiding the inner pain in his life…
 
No one in the city appreciated him… particularly Terra's two new friends.
 
Jackie: “She's not interested”
 
And Jillian: “Yeah… get lost, Brat-Boy!”
 
And now the Titans were disbelieving him that Terra was back, and nobody could help him now that Terra had dumped him for a change in her life. “I may as well be dead…” Beast Boy cried very softly to himself no one.
 
 
As the days went by since the White Monster was defeated, Beast-Boy's mood had not changed. If it had, it only went from bad to worse. He spent a lot of time in his room with the door locked, and the shutters and curtains sealed, making it darker than Raven's room.
 
He wouldn't come out to play. Not even when the Titans came and invited him out. Occasionally they would knock on the door and ask if he was okay, and he would simply reply with, “Yeah…” or, “I'm okay.” When in actuality, he wasn't and the others knew it too.
 
The only time when he did leave his room was to get a small bite from the refrigerator, head to the bathroom, or slipping off somewhere the others weren't aware of… but when he came back he would always go back to his room and fall into utter silence.
 
“Gee… he must really be feelin' down.” said Cyborg. “He didn't even wanna' come and play video-games with me.”
 
“He would not allow me to cut his hair like a usually do…” added Starfire.
 
Robin began to wonder if maybe Beast-Boy was starting to lose him mind over Terra, and that's when he asked Raven if maybe she could tap into his subconscious and look at the problem…
 
“I can't…” Raven was sorry to say. “I tried, but his emotions are too strong for me to penetrate through. I can't focus hard enough.”
 
It was three in the afternoon, and Robin knew Beast-Boy was out right now… but nobody knew where he was as he didn't take his communicator with him as if he didn't want to be followed.
 
 
School was out for the day, and Beast-Boy was up on the roof of a neighboring skyscraper overlooking the students as they filled out of the school. Then, he saw her. Leaving the school with her two friends…
 
Terra looked up, and that's when he quickly ducked down behind the ledge like a mouse, literally, but she knew he was up there for he had been watching her come out of school for the past few days now.
 
She really wished he wouldn't do that, but at least he wasn't trying to convince her to come back to the Titans. “What's the matter, Terra?” asked Jackie.
 
“Wait don't tell me…” Jillian said, “You're thinking about that green Brat-Boy again, aren't ya?”
 
“His name is Beast-Boy!” Terra scolded.
 
“Whatever…” replied Jillian. “That little brat needs to learn a lesson.”
 
Jackie agreed, “If he ever comes stalking you again, we'll show him.”
 
Terra wished they wouldn't talk about him like that but couldn't say it to their faces or they'd know about her Terra's history with the Titans, and Beast-Boy. If she wanted to pursue a normal life, she needed to put them and the past out of her mind forever. The same if she wanted Beast-Boy to move on…
 
But it was really hard…
 
The girls walked down the street, and off for home, which told Beast-Boy that she was still safe, then he changed into a bird and flew off to his next usual destination…
 
Terra's pedestal in the caverns. Everyday it was the same thing. He would check to see if Terra was okay, and then go to her pedestal until nightfall.
 
It was just no good. He couldn't let go. The more he tried not to think of Terra, and his life, the more it tormented him. He was starting to feel more angry than sad now. IT just wasn't fair… everyone… even the other Titans got to enjoy the sweet pleasure of life while he always got indigestion.
 
Every time he though he was finally gaining happiness, it slipped away and left him with nothing. He only wished-- No, to him wishing was wrong. He prayed that there was someway he could get Terra to come to her senses and come back to the team, and come back to him…
 
He really needed a milkshake or twelve.
 
 
He went to Ben's Café, where he and Terra used to eat Apple-pie, but didn't bother to order any as that would bring him more pain. Instead he drank as many milkshakes as he could buy to cool him off, but it didn't seem to help him at all…
 
“Can I get'cha another one, kiddo?” asked Pam.
 
Beast-Boy hiccupped, and paid her another dollar. Pam gave him another chocolate shake. She would've asked him what was wrong… but she could tell he was in no mood.
 
The Café was awful quiet, not a lot of people. Just then… someone did enter. “Beast-Boy…?”
 
Beast-Boy's ear twitched, and he peered round and saw her still in her school-uniform, he sighed and then turned back to his many empty milkshake cups. “We need to talk.” She said as she took a stool beside him.
 
“Fine then… talk.” Beast-Boy said sadly. His voice almost sounded sharp as well as upset. Terra explained that she wanted him to quit worrying about her, “I'll be fine, and I want you to quit watching me from the roof.”
 
Beast-Boy crushed his half full shake in his hand, but he didn't say a word. “Beast-Boy… we all have to accept change, and I know you can too… but you have to stop torturing yourself like this and move on.”
 
“Move on…?” Beast-Boy snapped, “Move on…! Move on to what? I've got nothing to move on too.”
 
Terra winced at his sharp tone, but she felt her own anger starting to spike again. “Well I'm sorry your feeling this way… but you'll just have to accept it.”
 
Beast-Boy ruffled his hair angrily, “You just don't get it, do you? I thought we were meant to be, my one chance to find a ray of sunshine, but how could it be wrong?”
 
“I don't know…” Terra said, “It just is, and if I can accept it, so can you.”
 
Beast-Starred down at the floor, taking an interest in his shoes, “I can't… I just can't!”
 
He explained to her EVERYTHING, about how his life was miserable and here she was trying to make it worse. Terra was shocked, and very sorry to hear all that happened to him, but she still wasn't willing to go back to the Titans, “Beast-Boy, I'm happy now… and I'm safe. Why can't you be happy for me and move on yourself?” she asked.
 
Beast-Boy explained that he was happy for her, and he was glad at least she found happiness. “I'm not happy for me… I've lost everything… and don't try to tell me I haven't, because I don't believe you.”
 
(Music cue)
 
(Beast-Boy)
 
Don't waste your time,
Trying to help a sorry sight like me.
A quivering' pile of mush like me.
All my years of service and devotion to this town.
Left me broken-hearted, always just feelin' down.
 
I know I've lost.
I'm paying up the cost
I smell so rank.
I know my ship has sank
And I haven't got a friend in the world.
 
 
Terra could see talking to Beast-Boy wasn't helping at all. Especially when he got up and started to walk sadly to the door.
 
 
I'm a quiverin' snivelin' blubberin' nameless non-existent.
Mass of nothing, worthless, soggy pile of mush.
And I haven't got a friend in the world.
 
No…I haven't got a friend in the world.
 
 
Then he was gone. Terra hug her head in shame, “I'm sorry Beast-Boy.” Was all she could think as a single tear leaked out of her eye and splashed on the carpet.
 
What she and Beast-Boy didn't notice, was Jackie and Jillian had seen them in the café together, and decided, “Tomorrow…”
 
“That kid's goin' down.”