Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Normal Like You ❯ Problematic Relationships ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Normal Like You
Chapter 12: Problematic Relationships
She knew it before she opened her eyes.
Peeking one open confirmed it.
She didn't even need to turn to see.
“Why?” she said, her voice cracking as she spoke, “Why is it now, every time I fall asleep, I wake up in a strange bed next to you?”
Gar lifted his head up. “Just lucky I guess.”
Raven groaned as she sat up. “What time is it?”
“Nearing ten. Raven-”
“Oh, good. Time to go home.”
“Something weird's going on.”
She looked at him, startled. All playfulness had left his voice, which never happened with Gar. He just didn't do serious.
“What's going on?”
She kicked the sheets off and stood only to stumble. “Nothing. I got sick.”
Gar opened his mouth then closed it. He seemed to be thinking hard on something, another uncommon trait for Gar.
“Where's the rest of us?”
“Kori wanted to `nurse you back to health' then started making this weird Jell-O looking stuff. Dick took her home, then Vic had to leave. This is kinda my house so…” He paused. “Do you… Do you need a ride home?”
“I can walk.”
“No you can't.”
“I can…” She stopped and glanced down at her arms fearfully. Her arms were bare from her wrists to her elbow. Small scratches were clearly visible. “Where's my sweater?”
“What happened?”
“Nothing. I fell down my stairs.” It was amazing how easily she could lie, and how believable they sounded.
She couldn't see him, but she knew he was giving her a frustrated look. Before she could turn to make a statement about leaving her the hell alone, she saw her sweater draped over a chair and snatched it up.
“I'm going home, Gar. `Night.”
Oddly enough, he didn't try to stop her.
><><><><
She didn't even bother with the window. Just straight though the front door, completely numb to her father's shouts. Perhaps he hit her, but she couldn't remember. Everything was a blur. The next thing she knew, morning sunlight hit her hard, and she forced her eyes open.
Morning.
Again.
Raven sat up.
What were her chances of going to school that day?
Something clattered downstairs. Which did she have a better chance with: her father or her friends?
She stood, pulling the sweater over her head. She was still in her clothes from yesterday, her combat boots left carelessly next to her bed.
There was a third option…
Raven slipped her shoes on, kicking her school things out of the way. There was no way she was going to school that day, but she wasn't staying home. Stuffing her hands into her front pockets, she headed downstairs, casting a sideways glance to the empty living room. She'd been hoping she'd have the assurance of her father snoring lazily on the couch.
The clattering noise again, this time from the kitchen. She froze. Five feet until she could walk through the door
`Stay in the kitchen,' she pleaded silently, `Do not move.'
“Where do you think you're going?”
Raven cringed, turning to face the giant that she was forced to call father. With an apathetic shrug, she gave a murmured, “School.”
“Where's your stuff?”
Damn. He was much more observant when he was sober. “I dunno.”
“I suppose you're going to tell me it's in your locker.”
She shrugged.
“You're not planning to go to school.”
He stated it so simply. She shrugged again. “If I miss my bus probably not.”
“You're going to school today whether you miss that bus or not.”
“Is this your idea of good parenting?” She cringed again. Today was not her lucky day.
“What did you say?” he growled, raising his hand.
“I'm going to school.” She tried to keep her voice calm.
He slapped her across the face, driving her back a foot. “What the hell did you say to me you little bitch?!”
She had to remain calm. Pretend as if the bastard hadn't just hit her. “N-nothing. I'm just gonna go to-”
He slapped her again and she fell back, hitting her hip on the end table. “You're going to apologize, aren't you!”
`Stay calm,' she told herself, “Just stay still. Just stay calm.'
Another blow landed her. She felt her anger rise and suddenly she was fighting back. She kicked his chest and rammed into him, knocking him over.
A few seconds later she was out the door.
Author(ess) Notes:
Another short chapter, but my favorite part is coming up next. Someone asked if my favorite part would be when Gar and Rae hooked up or when Gar learned about Rae's dad. I actually mixed the two parts. I'm that awesome.
I'm addicted to Harry and the Potters. On the same note, I get to see Harry Potter this Friday. I would see it Thursday/Friday midnight, but I can't. Curses.
Review and my minions will drop candy from the sky. Don't and pickles shall curse your name forever.