Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Paladin: How Two Worlds Collided ❯ My Begining ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own anything in the DC universe. I do however; own myself, so, yeah.
 
When I look upon the waters, whether it's in my own sink, a puddle or a river, I look at my own reflection and think: `I could be destined for better'. The same goes for when I look in a mirror, but because the reflection is clearer, I often feel my stomach tie in knots over the added worry.
 
Throughout my life, I have followed a path of adequate failure. School grades were good, but not THAT good. I fail to fit in as easily as others within my group of friends. I've somehow hit the gap between attractive and ugly, so no matter what I do, I'm constantly in the `just friends' zone, and instead of getting a flat out rejection, I receive the awkward silence that is somehow more annoying.
 
As you can tell, I'll not a happy chap. And for this British born, British raised, eighteen year old Video Game enthusiast, life is dull, repetitive, and downright crap. Oh, and did I mention I was a role-play fan? Hoping to do some LARP at some point? Yeah. It's true. I've hit that level of nerdiness. Then again, I only want to try it because it's an excuse to hit people with weapons. Kinda holds the same release as paintball. LARP only has the downside of having to be `in-character' all the time.
 
... I'm getting sidetracked.
 
I was meant to tell how about how I went from this, to what I will be through a series of strange events. Considering the current location of this tale, I believe that you have already figured it out. But for those who don't know, I won't spoil the surprise.
 
................................................................. ........................................................................... ......................
 
Let's see... it was the end of July, I think. I was still seventeen at this point. It was a nice warm night. The sky was clear, except for a few puffs of evaporated water, too small to call themselves `clouds'. Due to light pollution, the stars were also few and far between.
 
I was on my way home from a beach barbeque my friends decided to throw. I decided to go on foot, considering the various problems with parents, the cost of petrol and the possibility of a long `social group' speech. Now these aren't negative, you understand. They choose to be `proud' that I'm getting out of the house, and that I'm drinking more alcohol than soft drinks. You'd think I'd be happy with that, but I personally find it a bit patronising. Ah well, they love me, and I love them. And I can't really avoid it. Whether it's when I step in the door or when I see them the following morning, it'll happen no matter what.
 
“I just don't see why you can only have a good time with alcohol involved,” I whispered to myself. Sure, the streets were empty, but it was quite late at night. I didn't want to attract unwanted attention.
 
Now before I continue, I was sober enough to remember this. I only had two ciders and a beer, and then a couple of soft drinks before heading home, so don't accuse this as a `drunken hallucination'. As far as I know, being drunk doesn't have an effect like this, at least, that's what medical professionals say.
 
Anyway. I was making my way through the high-street. The shops almost spooked me at how they lacked activity. Seriously, it freaked me out.
 
So, I continued along the empty streets, my paranoid mind playing tricks on me, assuming that there was someone following me. It was a dilemma that was only solved in the very next instance
“Lonely, are you?” asked a voice from a nearby alley way. I stopped. My heart started to pound a little faster
“Uh... no?” I replied. I mentally slapped myself for talking to a potential murderer. But I did notice something. In the single inquiry that this person made, I noticed that he was American, with a deep voice which seemed to drip in charisma.
“Then why are you walking around the city streets at such a late time?” the voice asked again. I began to be a little sceptical
“City?” I asked, “If you haven't seen it yet, Portishead is hardly a city. More of a town, a port town, to be specific.”
“Really? Well, this is strange. I thought I was in Metropolis.” The voice stated, stunned rather than threatening this time around. I raised an eyebrow. I would have questioned why he said Metropolis, but then again, my geography sucked, and it was highly possible a city in America called Metropolis actually existed, so to save embarrassment, I said this:
“Well, that I can't help you with,” I began to walk on before I heard him walk towards me. I turned to see a man in a clean cut suit. He towered above me with a strong physique. His head was completely shaven. His face was blocky, yet strong.
“My name is Lex Luthor. If I'm lost, I need a place to stay,” he stated bluntly. I had received a new dilemma. I couldn't laugh; he'd kick the crap out of me. Being sarcastic or mean would yield the same result. I could do the only thing that was left.
“Uh, there's a travel inn if you got in that direction, turn right then keep going until you find a purple sign. It shouldn't be too hard, right?” I stated. This seemed all too... strange. Did this guy really believe he was Lex Luthor? Sure, he looked and sounded like him, but this is ridiculous, “look, I've gotta get home. Good luck finding a place to stay.” I turned on the spot and continued on my route home, slowly building up speed in case he was just some deranged psycho.
 
When I finally got home, I noticed that everyone was in bed, or, at least, not on the ground floor. I went about my business as quietly as possible before, and managed to get into my pyjamas and into bed without disturbing anyone. However, what had just transpired tonight was a strange and almost disturbing event, so I had trouble simply falling asleep.
 
When I awoke the next morning, I somehow felt more... energetic. Considering the late night I had, I assumed that I would be tired beyond belief. However, I was always told not to question a good thing, unless it is too good to be true. So I began my usual, morning routine, before being taken by my dad to the opticians for an appointment.
 
The car ride was long and dull, but what intrigued me was the convoy of military vehicles surrounding this huge vehicle which managed to take up two lanes. I began to worry. What would something so delicate be doing in this area of the world? Are these people insane?
 
Between then and when I was waiting for my Dad to finish his turn with the optician, this thought continued to plague my mind. First `Lex Luthor', now this? What was the world coming to? I was beginning to get the feeling of impending doom as I thought this through. What was with all these ominous signs? What was going to happen? Should I stop asking these stupid questions before one of them is answered?
 
Well, if Sod's law had anything to do with it, it was too late to ask the last one. A faint explosion was heard to my left, as if it was off in the distance. This was quickly followed by a deafening crash as the armoured truck I passed earlier, now battered and broken, landed on the street outside, crushing a few benches and maybe one or two pedestrians. The shock caused me to lose my balance and fall from my chair. The air filled with the sound of panicked crowds, the scent of flame, and the rumble of an inhuman roar
“Ah, bugger,” I stated to myself. I stood and brushed myself off. People started to run back and forth by the optician door, scream about not wanting to die or where their children were. It was terrible. I wanted to find safety myself, but part of me was compelled to help. And I don't mean with crowd control. Something wanted me to find the source of the problem and deal with it personally. But why did I think that? What possessed me to head into my certain doom?
 
As my conscience began an unwinnable war, a great metallic thud echoed from outside. Another, stone like thud followed, and through the windows I could see something that I would never believe existed. Something that only Ink has shown to the public.
 
Doomsday...
 
A creature strong enough to kill Superman without the use of Kryptonite. A creature that, in the comics at least, can be killed, and then come back, having developed a new immunity to whatever killed him before hand. The only thing that could possibly kill him was the end of the universe.
 
Humanity is screwed.
 
I dove behind the receptionist desk to think of an escape plan. Or any plan, for that matter.
“Ok... Doomsay... looking for Superman... find a way to run... must try that...” I whispered. I was breathing heavily due to fear. I doubted that anyone would be calm in this situation. Especially since, a few minutes later, my cover was lifted away from me. I turned, and realised that I was nose to nose with a very powerful creature
“Where is Superman?” it asked, as if recorded.
“I... uh... I'm asking that myself...” I whispered. I was trying, forcing myself not to cry. Doomsday stood straight. I feared that he was going to kill me
“You fear me, don't you?” he asked. I was stunned. Kind of obvious, wasn't it?
“Well... Considering the fact that you've destroyed that truck out there with so little effort... yes,” I replied. I tried to stand, and somehow accomplished that. I assumed my legs were like jelly. What was going on?
“You humans are all alike. Cowering behind your superheroes,” the creature stated, before turning to leave. A form of rage began to take over. As my fist began to form, I felt something in my hands. Looking down, I saw that they had been enveloped in a ball of light. Upon witnessing this, I felt my head swell with new knowledge, all consisting of the one hero I knew more than any other within the DC universe.
 
Paladin.
 
Of course, the Paladin was of my own creation. A character I was planning to create in the DC universe online game next year, and the subject of many fan related works. I knew everything about him. And now, it appears, during this incredibly dream like situation, I've gained his abilities. I felt like smiling, before mentally slapping myself again. Now that I had the powers, I would have to take up the responsibility, which meant defeating Doomsday. Last I checked, Paladin had no where near that sort of power unless he was truly pissed off, and nothing has truly set me off lately.
 
I eventually decided to follow the path of a flashy death, and tried to remember how Paladin worked. It didn't take me long. I had only written about his this morning. All of his powers were controlled by thought, like the matrix. He didn't think he could do it. He knew he could do it. I needed to test something. Clicking my fingers, I looked to the mirror, and a smile played my lips as Paladin's costume materialised onto my body. A white, baggy tunic, white metal breastplate, shoulder armour, gauntlets and boots, baggy white trousers that were tucked into the boots, and a hood to hide my face. Just as I had imagined him. Ok. It was now time to fight... and die. I had to take him with a surprise attack. What I know from science or from life in general, is that light blinds. So, all I had to do is aim for the eyes. I charged a fairly large ball of light around my fist, and ran at the monster
“HEY!” I yelled, trying to get his attention. The closer I got to him, the more I felt like running away. I had to deal with him, so I couldn't. He was facing me by the time I got to him. I leapt up in order to get to his eyes and delivered the punch. The force caused the orb to explode in a bright flash. Doomsday staggered back, covering his eyes. I let out a small cheer. I can't believe it worked! But I quickly reminded myself of the ability Doomsday has over all other life. I had to take him out fast, or he could adapt to my powers and I wouldn't be able to stop him.
 
I decided to go for projectiles. If I could keep my distance, I would probably be able to survive for longer than expected. As long as I stay out of his reach, that is. I charged a powerful beam in my hands and launched it at Doomsday, who only just recovered from his daze. The blast hit, but only managed to knock him off his balance a little
“Ah hell...” I muttered. The monster rushed through the hole in the wall which he left from, a fist raised at me. I had to be nimble. If I could get behind him, I could fly out into the open, get more room, and more distance. The first punch came; I ducked around it and stepped to the side. Thinking `fly', I felt my form lift from the floor and carry itself out of the hole in the wall.
 
If you want to know, flight is an incredible sensation. Your body feels so... light, but it's also as if a series of wires, attached to every part of your body carrying you through the air. I wanted to savour the moment, but I couldn't. Doomsday's roar from below reminded me of the danger. Throwing caution to the wind and began to hurling orbs of light at my foe. None of these things held ANY effect, and he began to find a way to get to my level. I moved around in the air, just in case he could get to me. I kept adding more power to my blasts but, it still wouldn't work. Eventually, before I could react, the lumbering grey beast grabbed my ankles and pulled me to the ground. I threw a blast at his face at point blank range. This freed my right leg. I closed my eyes and focused, mainly on increasing the power of my kick. I didn't have long to do it, so I threw the kick as fast and hard as I could. It made contact. To my surprise, the metal didn't dent, but my foot was now in quite a bit of pain. However, this freed my left leg, allowing me to increase the distance between the two of us. Unfortunately, while doing this, I was distracted, and Doomsday landed a VERY strong much into my chest. I hurtled through the air, flipping constantly. My body ached from that single punch. I managed to stop myself in the air, before feeling a warm sensation all over my body, after which, the pain stopped. I convinced myself that this was the healing aspect of Paladin's magic.
“If this is the world's finest, then I am severely un-impressed,” Doomsday stated as he walked towards me.
 
Before I could yield, I had an idea. You see, when I create characters, I base them more on fighting games, flash animations or animes than traditional methods. What attracted me were the outrageous fighting styles and world busting moves that made fights fast, powerful and heart pounding. This reminded me of one of Paladin's `super moves'. I called it `Frenzy'. Basically, after enveloping his entire body in light, Paladin attacks with a lightning fast combo. The combo lasts three seconds before obliterating the stunned target with a point blank blast of light. It had to work, it just had to.
“Really?” I asked, “Perhaps you'd like to see how fast I can be!” I began to charge the energy. It was an incredible feeling. All that power rushing inside of you. If you every get the chance, try it, just make sure you don't destroy something important. I hovered into my target and unleashed the power. Through a series of high impact and quicksilver attacks, I tried to transfer the energy I built up into a devastating assault. After the three seconds were up, I unleashed a strong orb of light at point blank range, which managed to knock Doomsday back quite far. I was incredibly pleased at how my attack had worked, before I felt all that energy simply drain from me. I began to have trouble breathing, and I desperately needed a lie down, which I wouldn't get. From where he once led, the creature stood, as if nothing had transpired
“Why?” I moaned
“You think that hurt me? My skin can withstand a nuclear explosion!” he claimed, beginning to walk over
“So I've heard,” I stated in between breaths. I felt like I was doomed. I tried everything, but nothing worked. But then, in the corner of my eye, something caught my attention. Upon a roof, an un-mistakable figure stood. Giving him my full attention, the individual gave a nod. Despite the vagueness of the signal, I knew what it meant, and decidedly created an orb like shield around me using what little power I had left.
“You think THAT will stop m-” through the muffled sounds on the other side of my shield, I heard a series of explosions, zaps, roars and clangs interrupt him. The noises finally ended with one loud crash. Assuming it was safe, I lowered the light shield and looked at what was now before me. Doomsday lay defeated under the group of heroes most would associate with the popular cartoon back in the early 2000s. It was the Teen Titans, or, atleast, the five core titans. Robin, the one who signalled me earlier, stepped forward.
“Hi, I'm Robin, and these are the Titans,” he stated, offering a hand to shake. I took his hand and gave a firm, yet short hand shake
“I'm the Paladin,” I replied, “thanks for your assistance with Doomsday.”
 
I bet you're wondering why I'm acting so normally, right? Why, unlike most tales of this plot type, I don't faint or scream wildly or become over enthusiastic, yes? Two simple reasons. One, the fight exhausted me, so these actions were beyond my grasp, and two, something was stopping me mentally, as if Paladin's `Hero Etiquette' had been transferred aswell. This presented a problem.
 
You see, out of all the characters I have ever created, Paladin was the second most powerful individual out of the lot of them, except in special conditions, in which he becomes the most powerful. But to balance this out, I made Paladin an emotionless individual. Someone who lacks the ability to love, laugh or do anything on an emotional level. His policy of `logic over emotion' was what made him such a powerful adversary. If something as small and meaningless as his manners when it came to meeting heroes would come with the powers, then it was highly possible I would simply become an empty husk of a human being, and I didn't want that.
 
“So, do you know where we are?” Robin asked
“You would be in Portishead, a port town in England,” I replied, “but I think it's a little more complicated than that. Perhaps I should explain later.”
“That would be a good idea. You should come back to our tower. We'll be able to talk there,” the boy wonder stated
“Plus, we've got pizza. You do like pizza, right?” Beastboy asked, using the same behaviour that he was famous for on the cartoon series.
“Ok, sure, should be fun. Just let me pick up a few things and I'll be with you,” I replied. I smiled a bit. What I said simply gave me an excuse to fly again.
 
Something inside me, at that very moment, said: “I think I'm going to enjoy this”
 
................................................................. ........................................................................... ......................
Author's note: so, instead of going along the third person route, I decided to head for the sunny shores of first person, self-insertion fiction. The reason being was that I always did better with first person. Don't know why, I just do.
 
You've probably noticed that with a majority of self insertion fics, the stereotypical plot would be that you fall into the TV or some weirdo portal takes you to the setting of the actual subject matter, and you become bestest friends with the main characters. With this, I'm gonna attempt to get as much depth from it as possible, try and take the stereotypical and make it my own, so to speak.
 
Anyway, I've bored you enough with these notes, I'll get cracking on the next chapter.