Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Cherub III by Beautifulpurpleflame ❯ Men and Women: Our Minds are Different ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: It is with regret that I inform you that I do not, nor have I ever, own Teen Titans.
Chapter 3
Beast Boy sat on the edge of the bed as he took his shoes and off and got ready to go to bed. Raven entered in her nightgown, after going to the bathroom to brush her teeth.
“Earlier, I saw Starfire and Robin in… Terra's… old room,” said Raven. “They were talking about turning it into a nursery. Did you know that?”
“Yeah, they told me,” said Beast Boy.
“And you're okay with it?” she asked crawling onto the bed.
“Why wouldn't I be?” he asked a little standoffish.
“I don't know,” said Raven. “It's just… with her room gone it's like she's officially out of the tower. I just… I wasn't sure if you'd be alright with that.”
“Look, I was friends with her, that's all,” said Beast Boy getting aggravated. He really didn't like to talk about Terra all that much. The truth was that she did break his heart, even if she didn't mean to in the end. He tried his best to hide this from his friends, but they all knew.
“Fine, I'm sorry I brought it up,” said Raven crawling under the covers.
Beast Boy crawled in next to her and lay down. The tension between them soon faded, but it was replaced with something else. Beast Boy could sense an odd feeling coming off of Raven. It was what he had felt when she had kissed him at dinner.
“Are you feeling okay?” he asked.
“Why?” she asked, not knowing where his question was coming from.
“You were acting a little… off at dinner,” said Beast Boy. “And I just feel like something's not right.”
“Don't worry about it, it's nothing,” said Raven.
“Ah, so there is something,” said Beast Boy turning over and propping his head up on his hand.
“Beast Boy I'm really tired,” said Raven in a sigh.
“Well I won't be able to sleep until I know what's wrong,” said Beast Boy. “Now what's up?”
Raven really didn't want to go into this, but she knew he wasn't going to leave her alone. “Fine,” she said at last. “I saw Jacob at the store, okay?”
Beast Boy's mood immediately changed. “Oh,” he said. “Did you… did you talk to him or anything?”
“No,” she said plainly. “I just saw him across the way with his wife and… daughter. He didn't see me, so I just went on my way. It's no big deal, now can we please go to sleep?”
“What do you mean it's no big deal?” he asked. “If it wasn't a big deal you wouldn't be acting all odd.”
“I'm not acting odd,” she said. Now she was getting aggravated.
“Yes you are,” he said, not taking the hint.
“Beast Boy!” she said a bit loudly and something in her room exploded. She calmed herself down and took in a few deep breaths. “Beast Boy, I would really appreciate it if we didn't talk about this anymore.”
“You still have feelings for him, don't you?” he asked.
Raven sighed. She was really tired now and just wanted to go to sleep. She didn't want to think about Jacob anymore. “No, I don't have feelings for him.”
“Raven, it's okay if you do,” he said softly. “I mean, I still have feelings for Terra.”
Now this snapped Raven right out of her tired state. She practically sat up in the bed and looked at him. “You still love Terra?”
“Well, I don't love her,” said Beast Boy. “But I still have feelings for her.”
“Well I don't have feelings for Jacob,” said Raven a bit angrily, thus causing her entire bookshelf to collapse. “Why do you think I kissed you like that when I came home? Because I know that I love you with all of my heart. All of my heart. And there isn't any room for Jacob in it. But I see the same can't be said for you. Good night!” And with that she turned over, covered her self in the blanket and attempted to go to sleep.
“Raven, you don't have to get jealous,” said Beast Boy. “I said that I don't love her.”
“I am not jealous!” she said in a sarcastic laugh.
“Just because I love you doesn't mean I can't have feelings for other people,” said Beast Boy.
“Whatever,” said Raven with acid dripping off of the word.
“Raven you're being ridiculous,” said Beast Boy.
“Good night Beast Boy!” she said angrily, thus causing one of her books to come flying right at Beast Boy's head, narrowly missing it.
“Fine,” said Beast Boy, angry himself. He lay down, turned over, and tried to go to sleep. It was the first time they had ever gone to sleep back to back.
The next morning they got up and didn't speak to each other. They just went about their business and pretended to ignore the other. Raven was angry at him for still thinking about Terra and Beast Boy was angry with Raven being angry with him for caring about someone other than her. He wasn't exactly sure why she was blowing this all out of proportion, but he felt that he had a right to be angry with her.
It was around lunchtime when it all came to a head. It was raining out and so they couldn't go to the park again. Cyborg was watching television with Alex and Arielle. Robin and Starfire were in Terra's old room making plans. Raven was in the kitchen making lunch for her children. Beast Boy had been thinking and pacing around the tower most of the day. Finally he found her in the kitchen and continued with their discussion from the night before.
“So what? I can't care about anyone else in the world but you?” he asked.
“You can care for anyone you want to,” she said coldly. “It's a free country.”
“Raven you're being selfish!” said Beast Boy.
“I'm being selfish?” she asked in disbelief as she put her children's lunch on the table. “How the hell am I being selfish?”
“You're trying to keep my all to yourself,” said Beast Boy. “You're just… you're too possessive.”
“Excuse me?” she asked angrily.
Cyborg looked over his shoulder and saw the two fighting. He didn't like where this was going. Luckily his arm began beeping and he saw that Bumble Bee was calling. He quickly skedaddled out of there to talk to her.
“I am not possessive,” said Raven. “Lunchtime!” She called over to the children angrily and headed over to them.
“Then you're getting upset for no reason,” said Beast Boy following her.
Raven picked up Arielle, who began to cry, and Alex followed. He was very upset as well and could feel himself starting to cry. Raven placed both of her now weeping children in their chairs and asked them to eat. Then she grabbed Beast Boy by the arm and dragged him out of the room.
“Okay, incase you didn't know this,” said Raven. “It's never a good idea to tell your fiancé that you still have feelings for another woman.”
“But I don't love…”
“It doesn't matter if you love them or not,” said Raven. “Just telling me that you care about another woman that you used to have a relationship with is not a good idea. It's like telling me that I'm not good enough for you. That you're settling for me because you can't be with her and are trying to convince yourself that you love me more. And I know that that's probably not how you feel, but that's what I hear when you say you still like Terra.”
Beast Boy paused for a moment, thinking about what she had said. “Why are you telling me this?”
“Because I want you to understand why I'm reacting this way,” said Raven. “And I'm not the only woman who would feel this way. But I am the only woman to actually stop and explain why I'm upset. I know that we women expect men to know all of this stuff, but the truth is you don't. So I'm just trying to help you understand.”
Another moment of silence passed between them while Beast Boy thought. “Is that really what goes through your head?” he asked. “I mean, all of that stuff about you feeling like I'm settling for you?”
“Yes,” she said trying to calm down. “My mind works different than you mind.”
“Because you're telepathic?” he asked.
“No, because I'm a woman and you're a man,” said Raven.
They stood there in silence for a while. Beast Boy had never known that that's how women thought. That the mere mention of another woman could make them question their worth.
“Look… I'm sorry that I upset you,” he said at last. “I really didn't mean to.”
“I know,” she said calmly. “And I'm sorry I blew this out of proportion. It's just… you know how I feel about Terra, and for you to say that you still care about her…”
“I know,” said Beast Boy. Once again they stood in silence. “So… are we… good?”
“Is that how you ask if we're still fighting?” asked Raven. “Like we're two old pals?” Beast Boy looked at her and tried to find the right words to answer with. He really didn't want another fight. But Raven smiled and said, “Yeah, we're good.” Beast Boy let out a sigh of relief and smiled as well.
“Thank God,” he said bringing her into a hug. “I really don't like fighting with you.”
“I know,” said Raven. “There's no way you can win.”
Beast Boy released her and looked at her. She had a large playful smile on her face. He quickly knew that she was just teasing him and laughed. “You just love starting fights, don't you?”
“Well it's about time I became the antagonizer for once,” said Raven.
As they reentered the common room the children were still crying. But as their parents walked closer to them they could feel that the energy had changed and they began to feel much better. By the time they reached the table the two children had calmed down and began to eat their little lunch