Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Cherub IV by Beautifulpurpleflame ❯ An Unexpected Surprise ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Contrary to popular belief, I do not own or work for Teen Titans.
Chapter 1
Raven and Beast Boy sat in the waiting room, waiting their turn for their next ultra sound. Raven was quite tired and had her head rested on Beast Boy's shoulder. Arielle's second birthday had been a week before, so she was still a little over four months pregnant. Her stomach was growing larger and larger each day. This was normal, but the odd thing was that she was a tad… larger than she had been when she was four months pregnant with her other two children. But each pregnancy is different, so she didn't worry.
“Raven Logan?” asked the receptionist as she entered through the door that led to the examination rooms. Beast Boy smiled at the sound of her name. He always smiled when he heard Raven's name along with his last name. Raven opened her eyes, sighed, and stood up. Beast Boy stood up with her and the two headed for the door.
Raven climbed onto the uncomfortable bed and lay down. As uncomfortable as she was, she was still ready to fall asleep. The receptionist made sure she was okay and then left. Now they just had to wait for the actual doctor.
“How do you feel?” he asked rubbing her hand.
“Tired,” she said sleepily.
“I know,” he said kissing her hand. “We'll be out of here soon enough.”
“And we'll know what we're having,” said Raven with a smile, which in turn made him smile. They had decided to find out whether they were having a girl or a boy. This time Raven was ready and when Beast Boy asked her if they could find out she said yes. It had been easier once they found out that Arielle was a girl, just like Beast Boy said, and so she decided that there was no reason to not find out this time. The funny thing was that everyone else back at the tower had a pool going on what it was going to be. Robin and Alex thought it was going to be a boy. Cyborg, Bumble Bee, and Starfire thought it was going to be a girl. Arielle didn't really care, or really know what was going on.
The door opened and in walked the doctor, smiling. It was the same woman Raven had had with Arielle.
“Well, it's nice to see you again,” said the doctor kindly. “How are you?”
“Very tired,” said Raven. “But I'm getting used to it.”
“Okay,” said the doctor sitting down and turning all of the machines. “Can you lift your shirt?” Raven pulled her shirt up over her stomach and waited for the cold jelly. The doctor took a look at Ravens exposed stomach and said, “You're four months?”
“Just about,” said Raven. “Why?”
“No reason,” said the doctor looking away quickly and smiling. “Just need to make sure.”
“Doesn't her stomach look kinda… bigger than usual?” asked Beast Boy.
“A little bit,” said the doctor. “But each pregnancy's different.”
“I told you,” said Raven.
The doctor squeezed the jelly onto her stomach and Raven got a shiver. The monitor was placed on her lower abdomen and the screen was soon filled with gray blobs. “Let's see what's going on in there,” said the doctor sweetly. She moved the monitor around and had a look inside Raven. They could all hear the heart beats of mother and child. “Good… good… looks fine…” she said as she moved about. Then she stopped and looked closely. “Hhm…” she said to herself.
“What? What is it?” asked Raven alarmed. “Is something wrong?”
“I don't think so,” said the doctor quizzically. She moved the monitor a little bit and applied some pressure, so she could get a clearer view. Raven grabbed Beast Boy's hand nervously. Then a smile crossed the doctor's face. “Well, this is interesting.”
“What?” asked Raven and Beast Boy together.
“Well, why don't you close your eyes and listen closely to the heart beats,” she said. Raven and Beast Boy weren't sure why she wanted them to do this, but they obeyed. They closed their eyes and listened to the heartbeats. There was one louder than the other, and that was Ravens. Then there was a softer one… and it had an echo? “Do you hear it?”
“It sounds like there's an echo in there,” said Beast Boy.
“Yeah, what is that?” asked Raven.
“Now I want you to take a look at this,” said the doctor moving the screen of the machine a little more towards them. “You see this right here?”
“Yes.”
“Well that's the baby's head, and there's its foot,” said the doctor pointing. “Now look over here. Can you see that?”
The two looked closely, but weren't exactly sure what they were supposed to be looking at. They saw the blob that was their baby, but there seemed to be a different blob near it.
“I'm not sure what we're looking at,” said Beast Boy.
“Me neither,” said Raven nervously, though she had a slight guess in her mind as to what it was.
“Well, that,” said the doctor pointing to the blob they were staring at, “is another baby. You're going to have twins!”
Beast Boy and Raven's jaws dropped and they both forgot to breath for a full five seconds. Then they both said, “What?”
“Yeah, that's why you're stomach's a little larger than usual,” said the doctor. She checked Ravens chart and then said, “And why you had such severe morning sickness.”
“We're having twins?” asked Beast Boy again.
Suddenly Raven turned to him and began to pummel him with her hands. She was slapping him in the arm and made him jump away. “You bastard!” she said in an agitated voice.
“What? What did I do?” asked Beast Boy very confused.
“You jinxed us!” she said sitting up.
“How did I jinx us?” asked Beast Boy.
“Remember when we were talking about having more children and you said, “Let's shoot for twins”?” she said doing a bad impression of Beast Boy. “You've jinxed us!”
Beast Boy thought back and did remember saying something along those lines. “Damn, I did,” he said to himself. Then he shrugged and said, “Oops!” with a nervous smile. Raven just sighed and lay back down.
“Raven, are you okay?” asked the doctor, a little in shock by their reaction.
“Yeah, I'm fine,” said Raven covering her face with her hand. “I'm just… a little shocked right now.”
“That's okay,” said the doctor taking her hand and rubbing it. “Most couples are when they find out. But, you have to look on the bright side; they both look well and are coming along fine.”
“Can we know what they're gonna be?” asked Beast Boy.
“I can check, if you want,” said the doctor.
“Raven? Do you still want to know?” asked Beast Boy.
A million things were running through Ravens mind. Twins? She was going to have twins? That meant double everything. Double the sickness, double the labor, double the baby supplies, and double the stress. She thought about whether she did want to know what they were going to be. She concluded that it would make life doubly easier if they did know. “Yes, let's know,” she said at last.
The doctor smiled and placed the monitor back on her stomach. She looked around, at each baby, and said, “Well it looks like you're having a… boy and a… boy! Twin boys.”
The two took a few seconds to let this sink in. Then Raven began to hit him again. “What'd I do now?” he asked stepping back.
“You wanted a boy! You jinxed us twice!” she said. “You wanted twins and a boy! Now we're having two boys.”
“Geez, sorry,” said Beast Boy. “Who would've thought that this would be the one thing I actually got right? I mean, come on, nothing else I say ever comes true.”
Raven sighed and calmed down. “Okay, I'm sorry,” she said. “You didn't jinx us. I'm just… I can't believe this.”
The doctor stood up and said, “Well, I have some paper work to fill out. I'll leave you two alone to talk.” And with that she left.
Beast Boy went back over to Raven and sat down next to her. She had her eyes closed and was now just thinking. Beast Boy looked at her and saw that her face looked unhappy.
“Are you okay?” he asked, taking her hand.
“I don't know,” she said, not opening her eyes. “It's just a lot to take in.”
“I know,” said Beast Boy moving in closer to her. “It's… overwhelming.” He leaned in and said, “But everything's gonna be fine.”
Raven opened her eyes and saw how close Beast Boy was. He was smiling warmly and looking at her with those beautiful emerald eyes. She smiled back and he kissed her. Then pulled her into a hug.
Once the doctor had the paperwork done they were free to go. Now it was in the file: Raven Logan; twins, males. The two felt like they were in a dream for a while. The news took a few minutes to actually sink in. It was on the way home that Raven finally looked down at her stomach and realized that not just one, but two lives were inside of her. Two little boys. Would they be identical? She didn't know. Would they be like her other two children? She didn't know. All she knew was that a couple very lucky people back at the tower were getting double their money.
They entered the common room and saw everyone sitting in the on the couch watching a movie; PG of course. Starfire, with Caley in her arms, and Robin sitting next to her. Alex and Arielle sitting next to each other, eating a bowl of popcorn. And Cyborg and Bumble Bee, the newly engaged couple, sitting very close. Of course the moment Beast Boy and Raven entered they all jumped up.
“You're back!” said Alex running over to them. “So what is it? Am I getting a brother or sister?”
“Wait a second!” said Cyborg running off quickly. He came back with a large chart with two columns. One read “Boy” and the other read “Girl”. Under each column were a dozen names.
“What in the world is that?” asked Raven.
“We've been makin' a few calls around,” said Bumble Bee. “And we've got a huge pool goin with all the Titans around the world.”
“Everyone's betting on the sex of our child?” asked Beast Boy.
“It's official, you're the most popular Titan family in the world,” said Robin with a smile.
Beast Boy and Raven took a look at the chart. It was just about even. Aqualad and Mas thought it was a boy, and Speedy and Menos though it was a girl. Kole and Argent thought it was a boy, and Flash and Jinx thought it was a girl. The list went on and on. There was a lot of money riding on this child, or children now.
“Okay, let's here it,” said Cyborg. “I gotta a lot of calls to make.”
Beast Boy and Raven looked at each other for a moment. “We're having… a boy,” said Beast Boy.
Robin and Alex cheered and gave each other a high five. The others made negative sounds and sighed. Cyborg picked up the phone and began to dial.
“Wait,” said Raven. Everyone calmed down and waited for Raven to speak again. “We're… we're not just having a boy. We're having… two boys.”
The room went silent and a wave of confusion entered the room. They all just stared at Raven and then at Beast Boy, and then back to Raven. She hated being stared at.
“Raven, you are… having two boys?” asked Starfire.
“Yes,” said Beast Boy and Raven.
“So, it's twins?” asked Robin. “Twin boys?”
“Yes,” said Beast Boy and Raven.
It was quiet again. Then Robin broke out in a victorious cheer. “Woo hoo! I'm a millionaire!” he laughed. He picked Alex up and whirled him around. “We're rich!”