Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds of Love and Survival ❯ The Journey to a new life ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
This is a Re-write of my first stab at an Evangelion Fic. Let me tell you that up to chapter 24,
I loved this anime, then as so many others it turned dark and
painful, Though I didn't disagree with who Shinji ended up with, I still didn't like how the others were treated.
So, this and my other Eva stories to come will focus on giving those characters a fair chance at a happy ending.
So this is fair warning to a good amount of Waff, romance, and character development!
So I am writing this story to show what I thought would be an alternate ending to the series
where Rei and Asuka lived!
Hopefully the creator of the series will make more movies and hopefully
they will give us a more hopeful ending. Thanks to Andre Laval and Ryan Xavier for prereading this revision!

Bonds of Love and Survival

Chapter #4. The Journey to a new life

Author's Note: Due to my Pre-readers being unavailable, this chapter will be the Beta version until I can get it pre-read. If you want to help me with pre-reading my chapters, e-mail me! <dennis_d@popmail.firn.edu>

A final Good bye!

Shinji's POV:
With the eventful day passed us, we got up in an anticipatory mood.
We had packed the storage trailers that would be pulled by the Quad-trac motor bikes .
Asuka would be navigating us to Okoyama's airport, where the Magi said a supply warehouse was located.
We finally picked up the last pieces of our belongings in our apartment, Where Asuka and I ended up on the doorway of out former respective rooms. I'm sure she had similar thought as I surveyed the now empty room.
I had moved the furniture to the next apartment more as a way for those who followed us to give them the hint that we had been there, and left. But I was not really concerned with that, I was reliving the memories made in this room.
The times where Asuka woke me up, the times Misato made fun of me, the parties in the apartment.......
Then also came the dark memories. When I first came back from the 12th episode, the horrendous Nightmares, ...calmed by what I found out later was my mother's spirit comforting me.
The time after Rei . . . died. The wrenching emptiness, with no tears to show, of losing Rei. A girl who I know little of then, but who I now appreciate now.
My distancing of Misato and Asuka decent into depression. I shook my head at the horrendous things she had gone through, and the pain it still caused me. I couldn't imagine if she was still thinking of this when I looked across the hallway as I saw those beautiful blue eyes with unshed tears. Without words we made a slow walk towards each other and hesitantly hugged each other.
Asuka finally let go of those tears, and quietly sobbed on my chest as I also cried quietly. We were suited to be together now sharing the grief at those hurtful, and dark memories, holding each other helped each of us with coping with the reality of finally leaving this place.

Then I looked up, ... and saw Rei staring at us quietly, with her head slightly tilted as Asuka and I held each other.
At first I was going to react normally, which was to try and apologize to her, ... for her being left out, and not being jealous of my hugging Asuka. But then I looked in her cool crimson eyes.
They didn't have a hint of jealously or anger, but ... more like curiosity, and empathy.

I noticed this as I felt Asuka looking up at me then turning to Rei, and the look on her face.
"Rei, I just needed, ... some comfort, since we are leaving this place" Asuka then stopped talking.
"It is all right Asuka, I think I understand." Rei then walked closer to us so we were both holding each other and facing her.
"The place where you live, where ever that is, will always remind those who lived there
of their experiences, good and bad." Rei then came close to us
and hesitantly put a hand on each of our cheeks.
"That is why I accepted the offer to move, and to start new memories for us."
Rei then moved her arms around both of us and lightly hugged us.
Both of us looked a bit perplexed at our blue haired companion.
Then we did what we thought she want and put one arm each around her.
She stopped and stepped back. This is a time for both of you to say good bye to those memories,
I'll be down stairs." She then abruptly left the apartment.
I was letting go of Asuka preparing to go after her sure we somehow had offended our friend.
But, Asuka grabbed my arm.
"Baka, can't you see, she understands and simply wanted us to have our final moments alone
in our home!" I got slapped on the back of the head. Boy, did that bring back memories.
"Ok , I understand." as I rubbed my now bruised head.
Asuka then calmed down and then took me by the hand, as we moved slowly over every nook and cranny
of that apartment, ending up in misato's room.
It was now clean, I had done that the first week of our stay, yet I can picture the 2 foot deep mess that surrounded Misato's bed, and how there never seemed to be any article of clothing that I had washed the previous day strewn over the dirty clothes. I laughed at the futility of that then I was somber about the room's occupant.
As if reading my mind I feel a squeeze of my hand as Asuka lens on to my shoulder.
"I miss her too, ... even her belching in the morning" I chuckled and brought my arm around her shoulder.
Yeah, and her cooking, god I how anybody would put hot curry,. ...on ... ice cream

We both broke down laughing hysterically.

It took about 2 more minutes and Rei coming back into the apartment looking at us with that slightly confused look she gets when she is perplexed that we started to come out of our laugh feast.
After a few glasses of water to help us calm down, Asuka and I then got up and toasted with out glasses of water.
I then said in a loud and clear voice,

"To Misato Katsuragi, where ever you are, thank you for your friendship, you drunken parties,
your famous saying, "Anything's great with curry!". And also,... thank you for being our guardian,
and giving your life" I started to break down "for me and Asuka' I looked at her she ws tearing up again!
"We love you, and we miss you so much. Please if you can hear us, come back and follow us to Okayama,
and be our Guardian, ... no ... our mother again."
We clicked glasses, and toasted our friend, guardian, and the mother you wanted to be for us.

After a minute Asuka then added,
"I know that you tried your best, Misato, even when we had treated you like crap" She shook her head.
"Even when I treated you like crap. I'm sorry for that Misato, Yeah even the Great Asuka Langley Sohryu
can admit when I Made a mistake. Boy, I bet your rolling over ... where ever you are huh, Misato-chan!"
Asuka was then smiling even though a stream of tears was running down her cheeks.
I held her hand and squeezed it with mine.
ASuka, I know she does, I just hope she doesn't fall off when she rolls!" I said making Asuka laugh and cry at the same time. She held on to me leaning on my chest as we made our way out the door. Rei followed and I look ed back to see her quietly raise a glass to our friend as well. It seemed she finally understood what we had gone through in leaving that apartment.
She then shut the door, and per my instructions put the key card above the door jam just barely sticking out.
Only one person knew the way we hid an extra key card for emergencies.
I just hoped she would be back to retrieve it. Even though the power was off, the symbolism should still tell her
that they were there, and to search for them. Just to be sure, I had left in the refrigerator, a note to Misato
on where we were and to invite her to Okoyama to live. I hid it behind her favorite six-pack of beer.

Withdrawal

We made our way in the Humvee with the snow shovel on it front, towing supply trailers and the quad-trac motor bikes slowly through streets, weaving our way through the rubble and abandoned cars.
After about 2 hours of driving, we made it out of the city proper, and made it to the near by National Highway
We then took it towards our next destination, Nagoya.

As we loaded and secured the storage trailers, we then took one last look around the area.
The city we had promised to defend lay in ruins, and empty of any people, We sadly turned around knowing that the life of suffering for us was over, and we looked down the road ahead, leading hopefully to a new path for the three of them.
As Asuka took a circular path out of the city, I rode beside Rei's bike not just to help calm her from the rough week she'd had, but also to reassure her of this move away from the only real home she ever had.
She gave me a slight smile, but her eyes showed apprehension and some fear.
Asuka saw that also, slowed down to take a position opposite me and told Rei as we rode,
"Don't worry, Rei-chan, how can you go wrong with me in the lead and Shin-chan right beside you? What could be better!" This made for a truly wonderful sight, A smile ear to ear on Rei's face, and not just to me, but to a equally smiling, and surprised Asuka. Later on, as Rei finally calmed down and concentrated on her driving. I later thanked Asuka-chan and told her how proud I was of her with what she said.
Finally, how much she helped Rei with her pain this week. "I am seeing the real Asuka I have come to respect ,..... and cherish!" I then leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek, which caused the bike to wobble, but Asuka soon had it back straight with a very red blush spreading through her face. Wow, getting her to blush was getting to be more enjoyable as we made our way towards our new home. Now I just ust need to keep my bike straight too!

*********************************************************************** ********************************

After a days driving;

We slowly made our way into a campsite areas on the outskirts of Mt. Fuji, which rose majestically before us.
After we made camp and started a fire, we settled down to a quiet evening. I had to take a quick walk to relieve myself and also to allow Asuka to help Rei with her special problem. After that, we got ready for bed.
Now of course we knew that we were probably the only people within maybe a hundred miles. But that didn't rule out some desperate soul seeking out our campfire and coming to take something from us. So I slept towards the entrance to our tent and had the girls sleep at the far end, away from the door. All of us had a side arm, just in case. We had practiced earlier that day more to make sure if someone was out there, they knew now that we were armed.

As I purposely stayed awake as the girls slept, I took to look at them highlighted by the moons light.
Rei still looked almost ethereal, like she could sprout wings and fly away. I remembered back when the clones were destroyed by Dr. Akagi. I felt a sudden shiver as their images filled my head. I remember The Doctor telling me of Rei's origins. I thought about this some, then remembered that she now looked different. She had a darker complexion. More like a normal girls. Her eyes were now almost Purple, not the crimson red they were before.
Even her hair was getting a darker shade of blue. I decided that when we get to Okayama, I will ask her for a blood test, not just to check for disease, but to see if her DNA still partially matched my own.
It gnawed at my heart that she could still be related by blood to me. I t would change our relationship.
And that was something I could not think of right now. But I know soon that it would have to be addressed.
It was good that we had agreed to not become one till later. But I would miss our kisses The most.
But that was for later, not now. I then looked at Asuka trying to drown out the conflicting emotions I had for Rei.

Asuka was also being framed by the moon's light. The contrast was striking. She was like a firebird flying out of it's roost with powerful wings and claws, yet the gentleness in her features as she slept was comforting for me to see.
Then I remembered how she died. At the hands of those ugly MP Evas. They literally tore her unit apart.
I couldn't bring myself to look at what was left . Not just because I was fighting as well, but I just couldn't see her like that.
The video feed was hard enough. Then Rei sacrificing herself and her soul as she became part of Lillith.
My heart breaking at the thought of her uniqueness ... gone. I tried to get some sleep,
but still that uneasiness kept at me for most of the night.

I had pledged my friendship to both of them, ... and they accepted.
Before, when we were fighting the angels, that friendship and the girls acceptance
was the farthest thing from my mind.
I didn't really care for anyone, I know to a certain extent, so did the girls.
But we had one thing in common, ... we were lonely!

Now, we had each other. I realized that we were happy, while before us was a struggle to live.
Now we were heading to a new life that we controlled, before we had no real future,
and no control to our own lives. Now I had ... love, pure and simple.

These were Shinji Ikari's thoughts as sleep finally claimed his tired and restless soul.

*********************************************************************** ********************************
Breaking Camp

We broke camp and were on the road by sunrise. The going was slow due to the fact that when we got near a large city we had more abandoned cars to weave through thereby slowing us down.
Over the next two days we had to do this over and over again. Finally on the third day out of Tokyo-3,
we made it to Nagoya. Our goal of Okoyama was still a week away, but we were still making good time.

To my grateful relief Rei had finished her period, so I thought that was over.
Then the next day, Asuka's started and when she had hers, well she was very ... Impatient to say the least.
For the next few days Rei, and especially I took great care not to ignite the volcano known as Asuka Langley Sohryu.
Luckily we had started to make some good time and with my handy manual gas pump we had no problem getting gas. Though it was still chilly the snow had evaporated for now as we trekked. We had been making good time.
That is until we reached the outskirts of Nagoya.

It seemed that someone didn't want us to go into the city, because a sniper was taking pot shots at us!
Though many of the shots had been over our heads, we kept ourselves low, as we drove behind some taller buildings to hide ourselves from the shooter. So, we had to drive around the area that this sniper was in.
But luck was with us as we ran into a police station where their SWAT type unit had housed their equipment.
There we found many of the various weapons that Nerv had also when we had commandeered supplies
before we left Tokyo-3. We then found a set of very interesting weapons, Laser targeted Sniper rifles. ASuka smiled that devilish smile and a shiver went down my spine when Rei exhibited her small smile as well.
A few hours later as if rekindling old skills, Rei zeroed in on the sniper on top of the tallest building in Nagoya.
She then casually put a bullet in the arm.
With several other shots fanned around him, we effectively chased him down the building as Asuka, who also had a high powered laser targeting rifle, had fun at chasing the retreating sniper down the building with bullets nicking his feet, and slamming in and around his head.
Much of her natural pent up emotions (Due to a certain time of the month) were directed out at this fool and thereby letting Rei and I off the menstrual hook, so to speak. That left the part of Nagoya open to us and we resupplied with needed items including warmer clothing.
A few days later after we resupplied in Nagoya our bike caravan, we then left the area.

We next headed to Kyoto-2. There, we hope to check via computer link on the Magi's status
as well as see if there were more people returning.
We knew that we had to go through Kyoto-2 and somehow made it across the enlarged Lake Biwa.
The lake expanded since the 2nd Impact, so a boat had to be used for all our equipment.
Kyoto-2 was located 5 miles north of the submerged Kyoto-1.
We then made our way to the warehouse the Magi had indicated the computer link to be.

Third person POV
they made their way through the deserted city. Though there were many cars around, and shops seemingly open,
not a soul was around. Here it seemed the whole cities' population simply didn't want to come back.
Not a soul was seen, not even a stupid sniper! They eerily made their way to the building indicated on the computer printout map as the one housing the computer uplink to the Magi.
After securing their bikes and provisions, they made their way into the building .
A short time later they found the terminal and with their portable generator powered up the computer,
and linked with the Magi.

The Magi still had their sensors and cameras working. But only in the areas unaffected by Unit-00's explosion nor Lillith's assencion. The Magi then could only scan those areas and those were empty of life.
The biggest surprise though was in the semi-destroyed Geofront. As one of the cameras panned though the Eva cages, all three pilots gasped. There in one piece was ...Unit-02!?! Right next to it was Unit-00!
All three pilots gasped!
Then as the camera moved to the opposite cage, there was Unit-01. "No, Mother, no" was all Shinji murmured
"How the hell did they come back, and in one piece?" was all Asuka could say in disbelief as Shinji,
and Rei were simply speechless. Asuka's thoughts were too of her mother's spirit.
"It seemed that whatever power had brought us back from the LCL also brought back the Evas as well."
Said Rei.

"But why?" was all Shinji could say, shaking his head in frustration.

"I do not know Shin-chan, but I would suggest that they are back because ... they will be needed."
stated a now stoic Rei almost reversing herself back to her pre TI personality.
Shinji seeing this, gathered her up in his arms and hugged her trying to get her back
from the shock she was experiencing. Shinji was worried that Rei simply couldn't handle the thought of looking at, nor even piloting an Eva again. It was simply overwhelmed her.

"You think she's going into shock Asuka?" Shinji looked at his other friend.

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious. Here let me get her back to reality".
Asuka then took Rei out of Shinji's arms and started a verbal tirade that would make any sailor in any navy blue. This shook Rei out of the state she was in. After she focused on her friends face as her tirade continued,
she seemed to come back from the shock she experienced.
"... so you better get you scrawny white skinned butt back to us, hear me Wonder girl!" yelled Asuka.

"Thank you Asuka." was all she said. She nodded and gave her quiet understated smile of hers, this time to her friend. Asuka nodded back with a smirk on her face. That was enough excitement for them now,
but then something else caught their attention.
The monitor on the computer showed the cages again, and to their astonishment
... the three Evas were seemingly being swallowed up one at a time by a large flat black circular disk .
This really threw them for a loop.

"What the hell happened?" asked Shinji

"It's like they got swallowed up by a floating black hole!" was all Asuka could say.

"They were taken by someone through a spatial portal of some kind" said Rei who was back to her now normal self.

Asuka then said; "Then what should we do? We don't know who took them, or why?"

"Maybe those people that are near Okoyama. Maybe they have an answer to this!" was all Shinji could think of.

"They are the nearest to us, though this level of technology is far beyond what we are capable of on this planet."
Rei added.

"And, of they can pull that off, they certainly then know we're coming. When we get to the outskirts of Okoyama, we'll head for the military base there and bring some fire power ,... just in case," said Shinji

"Ok, but I don't know that anything on that base will do us any good against something
... that can swallow up an Eva." Asuka then looked like she zoned out.
She started to shake, this somehow caused the memories of Unit-02's final battle.
Asuka then fell down to the ground, and got into the same position she was in when the MP Evas tore her, and her Eva apart. Shinji then knelt down, grabbed her and hugged her giving her some hope that this will turn out ok.
Rei then put her hand on Asuka's shoulder as her way to help.
She started to calm down, then she looked Shinji in the eyes, and a wave of warmth and love overcame her.
She then kissed Shinji. The kiss wasn't full of passion and romance, but was as heart felt and true as any they would have from then on. Rei kept her hand on Asuka the whole time, showing her support not just for Asuka, her friend, but for Shinji as well.

"Thanks, I needed that!" She then turned him around towards Rei, who was looking at them.
So, he stepped up to her and kissed her as well with the same love he had shown Asuka.
He smiled at both of them, bringing them in a warm and kind hug, those given to the ones he loved.
"You know at this rate you two are going to wear my lips out!" Shinji smiled trying to make light of the moment.
as the girls smiled back. His little show of affection got the girls minds off their situation at least for a little while.

Apprehension

As they made camp just outside Kyoto-2, Shinji was wondering if he was doing the right thing.
Now that they knew the Evas were back, and that someone took them in such a mysterious way,
how could he simply let it go.
Maybe those people they were headed for had the answers, maybe not.
But Shinji made up his mind that if the Evas were going to be used,
he needed to find out why!
If it was for a use he didn't agree with, he'd destroy the Evas himself.
He hoped that it was for a good cause, because he didn't want to me manipulated anymore.
Nor did he want the girls put in danger.
So, he made up his mind up to find out what happened to the Evas.
He slept a uneasy sleep even between the two girls he loved, he had too much on his mind to do otherwise.

*********************************************************************** ********************************

Just outside Tokyo-2

The First MP Eva to awake had made it to the first of his brethren. It had trekked to Nagoya, to a secret bunker and after opening some heavy and hidden doors, it touch the other Eva, a green on purple version to awaken, it did.
But this Eva at first refused to take the commands from the white Eva. Eventually it complied and headed off to Sendai to revive the next Eva, while the first headed north to Niigata where another of it's brethren was located.
Thought they all had S2 engines, their wings were useless, and their appendages had to be worked on to get them up to speed. Until all had gathered together to repair themselves, they would walk slowly and methodically to their destinations. The will of the first Eva was to prevail, and nothing was going to stop it.
High above them, in a hidden part of space an entity was watching, and waiting for the slowed down mechas
with some concern, but still confidant that they would keep to it's will, and gather to prepare to assault those
... in Okayama!

*********************************************************************** ********************************

As all this was going on a diminutive scientist was admiring her handiwork.
"Well my sub-space portals were big enough to get all three of you. I wonder why you came back?
But now I have you all to myself, so let's start scanning you three and see what I can do with you to get ready for those brothers of yours when they come here!" As she started, she looked again at the three giant biomechanoids, and wondered why their pilots were heading to Okoyama?
"Well I'll find out soon enough!" A cackle was the heard through the lab's cavernous expanse.

In the next chapter, the pilots finally make it to Okoyama, and are met by an interesting individual.
The MP Evas continue to make their way slowly towards activating the rest of the MP Evas,
and that's just the start?

Chapter #5: Meet the Neighbors!
The trio arrive in the Awara Onsen outside of Kyoto-2 and find who still lives there, as well as why!