Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Choices and Consequences ❯ Serious Discussions ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tenchi Muyo: Serious Discussions

I do not own Tenchi Muyo, or any of its characters or ideas, but I wish I did. As for this story, it was written as a sort of what if, while I wait for OVA 3 and GXP to be released stateside. I started on this after wondering, what if he actually did make a choice? For those that have read the "True Tenchi Novels" that detail the backgrounds on the characters, I have not read those. I guess you could say that this is an AU as I have made certain decisions on their backgrounds to fit my story. And if the Character appear OOC, there is a good reason.

I want to send a very BIG THANKS out to Doug Dennis, Top Quark (Shadow Quark) and Chendzeea Li for helping me with this story.

+++++

From Last time:

"Goodbye my love, I will see you again," she said then kissed him. He had kissed her many times in the past and in his dreams, but this time, it felt different. It held the same love, but he felt that she was kissing him goodbye. She released him from the kiss and she smiled at him, he knew then that this was goodbye, something that he had not had a chance to do before. Turning to Tenchi she told him, "Goodbye my son, I will always love you, never forget that." She then hugged her son for a moment before she began to fade.

Tenchi tried to hold on to her, but he felt her fading away from him, until he was holding onto nothing but air. When he looked up, he saw Tsunami by the door. She did not say a word; there was nothing left to say. She shimmered and within an instant, disappeared. Both father and son embraced for one final hug before attempting to leave the room.

Washu was still sitting in her lab with her mouth agape, but she had a feeling that things just might be looking up for her in the future. It was evident to her that he still loved Kiyone, and she could not blame him for it. She still loved her husband, even after all these years.

++++++

And now

Tenchi Muyo: Serious Discussions

When Ayeka had asked for Ryoko to join her she had planned in her mind what she would say, but now as they sat in the warm waters of the onsen she could not seem to get her thoughts together. She looked over at Ryoko and she was surprised that the pirate was just leaning back soaking and not drinking this time. "Uh, Miss Ryoko…" she began trying to talk about something that was on her mind, but also scared to talk about these same things.

"Yea Ayeka," she responded, though it seemed to the princess that she was close to being asleep and amazingly, there were no signs of sarcasm or rudeness.

"I, I was wondering…" she began and stopped again, "how long have you been staying in Tenchi's room?" It was not what she really wanted to know but it was a start, at least she hoped.

Ryoko opened her eyes and sat up stretching a little. "You're not going to tell me it wasn't proper or anything are you?"

"No, I... was just curious…"

"Well I guess I've been in and out since…" she shuddered as she remembered Kagato. "Since 'he' took me away, and Tenchi came to get me… I-I just haven't been able to sleep thinking that he might not be there anymore."

"I see," Many things were going through her mind. She was furious that this had been going on for so long, but she knew that Ryoko had not done anything to him, 'well nothing bad,' she thought. "Um, about last night… I, um…" She was about to say more when Ryoko suddenly sat upright clutching her head.

"AH! IT HURTS! STOP IT! NO!" She let out a scream loud enough that the glass surrounding the onsen shattered outward. Ayeka barely was able to cover herself with her towel and put up a shield before glass rained down on them.

"Miss Ryoko!"

"DAMN IT!" She shouted out in pain and then fell into the water unmoving, seemingly untouched by anything.

Ayeka picked her up out of the water and leaned her back against the wall. Tenchi, Sasami, Ryo-Ohki, Washu and Mihoshi soon rushed in. "Ryoko! Miss Ryoko!" She called out. Tenchi jumped into the water, lifted her up, and brought her to the side of the water where Washu had setup a small table.

"Put her here," she told him.

"What's wrong?" He asked and everyone looked to Ayeka who shrugged.

"I don't know, we were talking then she started screaming," explained Ayeka who was at a loss.

Ryo-Ohki sniffed at Ryoko then jumped back hissing. "Ryo-Ohki, what's wrong?" Sasami asked trying to pick up the cabbit.

"Well, it seems that she is more closely connected than we thought." A male voice said as he watched a monitor showing what was happening on Earth. In the monitor they could see the youngest princess Pick up the cabbit and walk out of the onsen.

"Sir," another man said as he entered the room.

The older man turned towards him, "Go ahead."

"The engines are now online and the first pulse was sent through the gem."

"Good," he looked at another screen showing a very large red gem. "Soon Washu, you and that boy will regret what you did." He then began to laugh loudly as another sat beside the desk calmly.

"You will have your hands full with them now," the man said.

"Yes, I was taken by surprise by that boy before, but not again. Zero betrayed me and now I will destroy that woman and that boy for what they did to me!"

"Surely you're not still upset over that vase?"

"ARGH! That vase was supposed to be a priceless artifact! I hate that woman!"

"You just be sure to get the pirate ant that boy out of the way, I hear that there are plans for the princesses."

"As long as they stay out of my way I can guarantee that they will not be harmed."

"If they are harmed, you will be punished more severely than you can ever imagine, that is a promise."

He looked at the shadowed figure by the desk and wondered just what would happen, but he dared not test it, "Yes sir."

The figure stood and walked out the door giving the doctor a quick view of his long robes, but his head was covered, so even he could not tell who it was that had got him out of the GP jail and onto a rebuilt Soujya. The craft was amazing, and while it held some similarities to the original, the biggest difference was in its power system. The original one had two large gems, but one had been sliced in half and was useless. However the remaining one was proving to be very effective and not only that but through the gem he could control that girl again, but this time she could not fight back like Zero had.

"Her feelings for him were unexpected, but not this time." He looked back at the monitor in time to see Washu entering her lab with Tenchi and Ayeka following. "This time I will not give her the chance to defy me."

Washu, Tenchi and Ayeka stood around the table where Ryoko was sleeping, each one was worried as she had passed out and had yet to wake up. All three of them were wondering what was wrong, but Washu felt the pressure more as she could not find an answer and neither could she reach Ryoko mentally, it was as if she had completely lost all consciousness. Washu had been looking over her monitors and after picking up a sensor and turning back around to Ryoko she was startled by something.

"Ryoko!" She yelled startled as Ryoko's eyes were finally open and she seemed to be looking around.

"Ouch, my head…." She said as she lifted up her hand and began massaging her forehead.

"RYOKO!" Tenchi yelled then proceeded to hug her fiercely.

Ryoko never being one to pass off a hug from him just hugged him back and asked over his shoulder. "Um, what are you…" she started then looked around, "what am I doing in here?"

"Don't you remember?" Ayeka asked looking visibly relieved.

"We were in the onsen… then my head hurt… and now I'm here…" She shrugged as much as she could while still holding onto Tenchi.

He slowly pulled away from her. "But, you've been out for over an hour!" Ryoko looked to Washu and Ayeka who nodded in agreement, but none of them, even Washu could tell her why.

"Do you remember anything else? You were saying to stop it, but none of us were doing anything," Ryoko just shook her head as Ayeka asked. "There must be some reason…" Ayeka finally said.

"Why…" Tenchi began but stopped.

"Why what?" All three asked.

"Why did Ryo-Ohki hiss at you?" He looked at Ryoko and shook his head, "She was with Sasami after you yelled and then she hissed at you… I've never seen her do that before."

"I… I don't know…" she said shakily and then looked around. "Where is she anyway?"

"Can't you find her?" Ayeka asked, as she knew that the two had some connection.

"She… She's blocking me…" she said nervously, then turning to Washu, "Can you find her?"

"It shouldn't be hard," and with that, she proceeded to find the cabbit.

"Well princess," Ryoko began and looked at Ayeka expectantly while Tenchi just sat beside the pirate.

Ayeka looked puzzled, "Well what?"

"What did you want to talk about?"

"Oh, well… Um, well I had wanted to speak with you about…" She paused then looked at Tenchi, "I had meant to talk to you… um… alone."

He looked between them a moment as Ayeka smiled sheepishly. Ryoko finally squeezed his hand lightly, "I'll be fine,: she sighed as she hated to make him leave… especially since he was so close to her. "Oh and Tenchi, you might want to tell the others I'm fine." Tenchi squeezed her hand and after giving her another hug, he left the two alone. "Ok, now… what did you want to talk about," she asked again, though this time she was a bit more annoyed.

Ayeka sat there quietly for a moment before she looked up, her expression seemed happy but it was marred with a sense of quiet dread. "I… I had it all planned out…"

"What planned out?"

"Please, just listen," she asked softly to which Ryoko just nodded. "When I found out that he was Yosho's grandson and that Yosho was so old, I thought that… Oh I don't know what I thought right then." She sighed heavily. "He went after you though, he had to save you. I always thought it was because he was obligated to, but he loved you even then…" She sniffed slightly as she tried to think of the words that she wanted to say. "I used to wish that he would choose me and we could return to Jurai… but now…" she looked up at Ryoko's face and she could see that the pirate was about to cry. She had hurt her friend. "I know that must sound selfish of me…"

"What do you wish for now?" Ryoko's voice was small and completely unlike her normal boisterousness.

The princess sighed once more, "Just to be happy… I can see now that he won't be happy on Jurai, and I don't want to leave him, and you don't need to go back there… not yet…"

"Not yet? What do you mean?"

She almost smiled at her friend, "Maybe someday we can all return to Jurai and 'we' will be accepted," she stressed the 'we' and motioned with her hands towards Ryoko and herself. "But for now, I want to be with him… and you… I-I never…" Ayeka took a deep breath as she tried to say it, "I never thought I would call you a friend… but, in the onsen, I was worried…."

"You! You were worried about me!"

"As strange as it sounds," she gave Ryoko a wry smile, "You have been a constant source for pain and aggravation for me…"

"HAY!"

Ayeka just laughed, as Ryoko looked upset, "But you've also been a friend." Ryoko calmed down and smiled as well. "I think I can be happy, wherever he goes I will, and I know you will too."

"And I think I can help with that!" Washu cackled as she approached the two.

"How long have you been listening to us?" Ryoko demanded, but Ayeka had other ideas than that.

"Miss… I mean Little Washu… How can you help?"

"Please, just call me Mother Washu!"

"WHAT!" Both girls screamed in unison.

"Well since you and Ryoko will be marrying Tenchi I will become his and your mother!" She batted her eyes innocently, while she thought of how she could torment them all.

"That's mother-in…" Ayeka started but a stern look from Washu cut her off.

"If you even think of calling me that, you will regret it."

"Ah yes… I see." Ayeka stammered then began laughing.

Ryoko looked at the princess indignantly, "What's so funny?"

"Well… I think… I can handle one more mother, but can you handle two!" She laughed.

"Two!"

"That's right," Washu said putting her finger to her chin, "Well I guess you will have Misaki and Funaho as mothers as well."

"WHAT!"

"She's right," the princess giggled and tried to stop her very un-proper laughing fit.

"Oh, damn it!"

"You had better start practicing now…" Ayeka said as she was getting herself back under control.

"Practicing? For what?"

"For when my mother Misaki makes you say Mommy!" Ayeka then began laughing harder; just picturing Ryoko saying it that she nearly fell over.

"LIKE HELL! I'm not going to say that!"

Ayeka just laughed all that much harder as she knew no one could withstand her mother. Washu however was not used to being brushed off, and from the looks of things the two of them needed something else to talk about as Ryoko looked ready to kill Ayeka regardless of what they had just talked about. "Well this is interesting, but we need to talk."

"NOW WHAT!" Ryoko screamed and then teleported just before a vase landed in the spot that she had just been in while Ayeka fell to the floor laughing uncontrollably.

"I see you're learning, but we need to talk about where you're going."

"What do you mean?" Ryoko asked as she lowered herself to the floor.

"Well first we need to get Ayeka under control here," She lifted the princess off the floor and sat her on the table as she tried to stop her laughing. "Well," Washu tried, as Ayeka seemed to be calming down. "Since you're not going to Jurai, and not staying here I've been looking at some other places."

"Go on…" Ryoko said quietly, as knowing her mother there would be a hitch in there somewhere.

"Well I have been checking out a few possibilities and I have found this little planet that has just been on the fringes of the galaxy for some time and they are open to alien immigrants and customs, but…"

"Oh I knew it! There's a catch!" Ryoko proclaimed as Ayeka listened.

"Well, yes, but not for you, they never had anything of value and they were too far away and too weak for any system to really want to control it. Mostly a lot of farmers, which means…"

"…Which means I will be just Ayeka, and not a princess," Ayeka said softly, as this had cut off her laughter rather abruptly.

"I'm sorry, but while Jurai is known to them, they only provide a few of Jurai's remote colonies with food occasionally and Jurai has no presence on that planet yet."

"So…" Ryoko began and Ayeka groaned, as she knew what was coming, "They've never heard of me either?" Ayeka looked at Ryoko curiously, as she wasn't expecting that.

"More than likely, he never went anywhere near them, no major wealth or power and too far away to really use for anything," Washu said cautiously.

"YES!!!!!!" Ryoko screamed jumping into the air. "I can just be Ryoko, not a pirate or a demon! Hell I could even be just a normal person for once!" Ayeka and Washu just watched as Ryoko flew around the room doing cartwheels in mid air with a few pirouettes thrown in.

"I guess she's happy…" Ayeka added calmly.

"Never thought she'd be that happy about being normal," the scientist added watching Ryoko dancing and spinning around.

While Ryoko was dancing in the Lab, Tenchi was faced with a very tough problem. Katsuhito is back to being Yosho since he lost his disguise, and the training just got harder. What's worse is that when he left to go check on Ryoko his grandfather told him that he has a new challenge starting as soon as he gets back. "Man I hope this isn't a new torture he calls advanced training."

"Not quite." Tenchi stopped dead in his tracks as he heard that voice, he knew it mean he was in trouble. Spinning around and preparing for an attack Tenchi hoped he was going to at least live to see his wedding day. Surprisingly he was not attacked; Yosho was just standing there looking at him. "Today marks the beginning of your test."

"My test?"

"SILENCE!" Yosho thundered and Tenchi meekly nodded. "You have proposed to my sister in a way that is very unbecoming of a true warrior. Therefore you will have to defend your honor, and hers." Tenchi thought about asking what he meant but he knew this had to do with him inviting both Ayeka and Ryoko to go to bed with him, although nothing happened. "This is the test, in six months I am leaving Earth to return to Jurai, as Funaho thinks it will be that long before she has completely re-grown the key components. If at the end of six months you cannot defeat me in combat, Ayeka and Sasami will return to Jurai with me."

"WHAT! That's not fair!"

"I never said it would be, but you chose to dishonor her and her family by taking her to bed like you did."

"But nothing happened!"

"Nothing has to, the fact you took her to your bed dishonors her. If you cannot defeat me how do you think you can protect her? And what makes you think that you have the right to ask a princess to marry you? You want to live as a pauper, she deserves more that you." Tenchi hung his head as the words stung him deeply; he knew that he didn't deserve her. He didn't think he deserved any of them. And yet they all cared for him in one way or another. "Ah so you give up already, I will go tell the girls then. Go sweep the steps."

Tenchi felt completely useless and dejected. There was no way that he thought he could beat his grandfather, but to keep Ayeka he would have to try. "No…" he said timidly.

"Did you say something?" Yosho mocked. "She once loved me, now that I am young again she would much rather return to Jurai with me instead of staying here." He knew he was being very harsh with Tenchi, but the boy barely took his training seriously.

"No," he said with more conviction and looked up slightly though still not looking him in the eyes. "No… you won't take her."

"And what will you do about it?" He tried not to smile, as this is exactly what he wanted though he hated having to do it this way.

"I-I won't let you take her from me." Tenchi sounded bolder though he still lacked the ability to follow through with his threat.

"I see, so you accept the challenge. Good, then you know the consequences. If you fail, she will return with me, and by honor, you are bound to this. Even if she begs to stay you must send her away or your honor means nothing."

Tenchi gulped hard, he was not expecting that, but he knew he would have to. Honor would demand that he send her away though he knew that it would kill him to do it. "I-I Understand."

"Very well, your training will begin. But it will not be as easy as it was before, if you loose, you will loose her, and your honor."

Tenchi just sighed, he knew what would happen, and he could already see it. He would be beaten and lying on the ground in pain as Ayeka cried. Then to make matters worse his grandfather would force Ayeka to leave him like that. He felt that his heart would burst already as he looked up at her tear streaked face, and then to tell her to go away, to leave him there… he just couldn't stand it. 'This is a new form of torture he's created.'

Yosho frowned looking at his grandson, 'Maybe this is too much, but I can't take it back now.' He could tell by Tenchi's slumped shoulders that the boy had almost given up, and they had not even started. "Go, and practice," he told the boy before returning to his office. Once inside he fought to keep his own composure, looking at an old photograph of him and his wife he smiled remembering days gone by.

Washu and Ayeka had just gotten Ryoko calmed down, which was no easy task for them. But finally they had got her back on the ground. "Miss Ryoko, please calm down," Ayeka said exasperated.

"But this is great! No one will have ever heard of me!"

"Ok, Ok, we understand." Ayeka was going to say more when a knock was heard at Washu' door.

Looking in her display, she could see Nobuyuki shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "He really looks nervous."

"He does, shall we leave for a moment?" Ayeka asked; Ryoko just smiled.

"Yea, I've got to talk to him."

"Very well," Ayeka then escorted Ryoko out and let Nobuyuki in to see Washu.

"Um, Miss Washu..."

She was still unsure what he would say or do, since watching him earlier she knew that he was still carrying a lot of pain around. That pain was something she was not sure she could handle. Sighing she decided to see what he would say, "What's up?"

"I-I um, I wanted to say... I'm sorry."

"SORRY!" Her anger instantly surfaced and she did not even try to contain it, 'That jerks sorry he asked me out!'

He bowed before her not even shying away from the possible damage she cold do to him. "Yes, I shouldn't have asked that way."

"WHY YOU MISERABLE... I OUGHT TO... How could you say that? Why couldn't you ask?"

"NO! That way, I shouldn't have asked like that."

"What?" She looked at him skeptically as she tried to calm herself. She was not sure if after all these years she was ready for this. It still haunted her memory when her husband left her, and then while watching Kiyone the ghost had clearly told her, she had found love. 'But I didn't want to find that! I just wanted someone to talk to… someone too…' He interrupted her thoughts again.

"I was drunk and..."

"Oh just cause you were drunk you're going to blow off what you said to me?"

"NO, never!"

"Then what do you mean?" She stood there tapping her foot impatiently as her heart was hurting; she was not even sure why it hurt so much.

"I've wanted to ask you for a while, but I shouldn't have asked when I was drunk."

She stopped to think about it and remembered that he said the same thing earlier. 'He's really hung up on that,' she thought as she recalled how he explained it earlier. "Ok, so now what?"

"I would still like to take you out sometime, if you would like to?" He tried smiling at her and hoping he cold stay her anger for just a little longer.

"You what?" She was surprised; this was not what she expected, at least so soon.

"I would like to take you out… maybe this weekend? Just us?" He looked worried or nervous she thought and she was right on the money, inside he was screaming that he wasn't ready to care for anyone again; at least that's what he thought.

Washu smiled slightly at him. Despite her best efforts the smile grew, "Ok, we'll go out this weekend."

"Really?" She just nodded at him, "You won't be disappointed," he said as he laughed nervously, though inside he was wondering, 'Where can I take someone that's been all over the galaxy?'

Later that evening over dinner, things were noticeably different. Ayeka and Ryoko still sat on either side of Tenchi, but instead of fighting, they were talking as if they were long lost friends. Despite his problems, Tenchi smiled. He knew that he'd have to tell them, but when and how? As his eyes took in those around him, he paused for a moment on Mihoshi. She looked as cheerful as ever, as if nothing had changed, 'and yet so much has changed.' His thoughts drifted for a moment over the recent changes, but he was not sure what to do about Mihoshi. 'I care for her, but…' he was not sure if what he felt for the blonde was the same as he felt for Ryoko or Ayeka and he felt bad that she didn't have anyone. He looked over at his dad who was constantly stealing glances at a now adult looking Washu.

'I hope they can be happy,' his thoughts again turned to what his grandfather had told him. Tenchi was not sure what he should do anymore. He has never defeated his grandfather, but if he didn't then he's loose Ayeka. Of course before now he knew that Ryoko would be happy about that, but as he watched the two talking and laughing over dinner he didn't think that Ryoko would want her to leave either.

"Hay Tenchi, you ok?"

"Huh?" He looked up to see that Ayeka ant Ryoko were looking at him worriedly.

"Yes Lord Tenchi, you have barely eaten anything and the rest of the family is almost finished," Ayeka added.

"Oh, well…" he paused for a minute; he did not want to tell them here, not now. "I'm sorry I just had a lot on my mind." He chuckled nervously as they eyed him. They let him skip by without explaining things right then, but with the looks they gave him he knew they were going to talk to him about it later. That he could accept, but not here, and not right now.

Later that evening after dinner he was cornered in his room by both Ayeka and Ryoko. "Ok, out with it," Ryoko demanded.

"Yes, Lord Tenchi, what is wrong?"

He sighed heavily, 'this is not going to be fun.' Closing the door to his room, he sat on the edge of his bed as the two of them waited for an answer. Patience was never something Ryoko had much of, but she was trying hard to wait for him to say what was on his mind. "First…" he began, "What do you think of honor?"

Ryoko snorted while Ayeka thought about it, "Well honor is a very important thing, my brother always talked about it as did his trainers and our tutors."

"Hah, honor's not that important!" Added Ryoko. "They talk about it, but when it comes down to it they'll stab someone in the back just as quickly as anyone else!"

Tenchi had to admit that both were right, but neither one really understood much about it. He suddenly remembered a night when all of them had been partying and drinking to celebrate his graduation. That night he had let Ryoko stay in the room with him. But the thing that surprised him the most about that, is that he could remember inviting Ryoko into his bed… but she told him no. "Ryoko, that night, when I was drunk…"

She knew the night he was talking about; he did not have to say anymore to remind her. She had been so happy, but she knew he was just saying it because he was drunk. "But you were drunk then, and I wanted…" She suddenly stopped as Ayeka listened intently. "I knew it was the sake talking and not you…"

"And why didn't you ever do anything all those times you were in my room? It would have been easy." Anger crossed her features, and he prayed that he could make all this sound as good as how he thought it did in his head.

Ryoko did not see where he was going with this other than making her mad. "You said I could stay as long as I didn't try any of that, and I didn't."

"You kept your word, a very honorable thing to do," he pointed out hoping to quell her anger.

"Yea I guess, so what of it?"

"Yes Lord Tenchi, what has this to do with your strange mood?"

"I have had my honor questioned…" he said softly.

"Questioned?" Both girls asked confused.

"Because I let the two of you sleep in here my honor and yours has been ruined."

"Oh my," Ayeka said as she realized how badly this might look.

"Wouldn't be the first time," Ryoko droned as she recalled the many times people called her a demon or worse before they even understood she could not control her actions.

"So, I have been challenged to a duel…"

"Good!" Ryoko stated, "Beat the crap out of them and let's get to bed!"

"It's grandfather…"

"But you've beat him…" Ryoko suddenly stopped as she thought about it, "…you haven't have you?"

He shook his head and looked down. "He's given me a few months to train before the duel…"

Ayeka did not like where this was going, "And if you loose?"

"He says he will take you and Sasami back to Jurai with him."

"WHAT!" Ryoko screamed, "That dirty old man! If he thinks he can just trick you into agreeing to that…" she slowed down as she ranted, "…You didn't agree… did you?" He simply nodded and she threw her hands up in the air. "Great! And I was just starting to get used to this."

"I won't go, no matter what." Ayeka said defiantly.

Tenchi looked up at her and the sorrow was already there, "My honor won't let you stay when I lose."

"So you're giving up already!" Ryoko screamed.

"How can I beat him? He's had hundreds of years of training and even now, I can't even get one strike in! Much less hurt him!"

"So this is it… just great," Ryoko huffed and sat cross-legged in the air fuming.

"Miss Ryoko, you sound like you want me to stay?" Ayeka said sounding mildly surprised.

Ryoko just grumbled, "We've been through this before. He won't be happy if he looses either of us remember."

Ayeka just smiled and Tenchi looked at the two of them surprised. With all the time they spent fighting, he never thought that this would happen. However, he wasn't about to let them be pulled apart. "I won't let…" He started as the two girls looked at him. "I won't loose. I won't let us be separated."

They both smiled at him and he grinned broadly. There were many things that he could say about them, but for them to be friends, he thought it was impossible. However, they have recently kept him surprised.

++++++++++

To be Continued… again… I'm serious…. Really

I could always use help with pre-reading the story before the next chapter is posted. If you would like to help please go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffru/
I have the next several chapters posted there for my beta readers to help me on.