Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ How Long is Forever ❯ Despite My Aching Heart ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch: 2- Despite my aching heart.

I'd follow you,

To the ends of the Earth,

If only you'd look at me once more,

And see only me,

Instead of what other people say.

Ryoko stretched out on the shelf, curling her arms around her chest as she smiled to herself. She hadn't drunk THAT much last night, and considering it had been a Friday… well; she usually drank MORE on that night than any other. Now the sun was up, it was noon and soon Tenchi would be coming back from the fields to wake her up and ask her if she was feeling any be-

"Well, well, well Ryoko! Still lazing about like the slob you are?"

Ayaka's voice shook her from her happy state of mind, sending her back down to her normal, pissed off attitude. She sent a glair to meet Ayaka's displeased look as she turned over to look at her visitor.

"Well, well, well Princess! You seem rather pleasant this morning, even your age lines are smiling!"

"WHAAAAT?"

Ryoko watched as Ayaka's face shifted to a horrified reaction; her hands pressed against her cheeks in embarrassment. It was amusing to ruffle her fellow rival in the morning; it always made her feel better after a less pleasing night.

"You… you… you.."

"Me… Me… Me, exactly I do look good at ANY time in the morning, don't I?"

Another garbled response shot from her rival's mouth as she turned away and ran off to her own room. Ryoko sat up and sighed happily. It WAS a good morning despite the rude awakening and the feeling of wariness that was starting to creep into her gut.

<I>"Must be hungry… yup, food would be good!"</I>

The wariness was immediately dismissed as she hopped down to the floor, almost falling in the process due to lack of balance. Ryoko's arms shot out to regain proper balance as she adjusted to forward motion and made her way to the kitchen. A pleasant smile appeared on her lips as she saw Sasami in the kitchen and crept up behind the girl to give her a little scare.

"SASSAMMII!!"

"WAIIII!"

The startled cry made her grin as she wrapped her arms around Sasami's shoulders and leaned over the girl's head to see what she was cooking.

"Oh Ryoko! You SCARED me!"

"Sorry Sasami, I couldn't resist! Whatcha making?"

"Well, it's about lunch time so I set out some egg rolls on the table for appetizers while I made a quick lunch for Tenchi; he's been in the fields all day!"

"Awww, poor boy! I'll take it to him for you is ya like!"

"Oh Ryoko that would be so helpful!"

Ryoko swooped over to the table, plucking out a few egg rolls for herself before grabbing the basket for Tenchi Sasami was holding out for her. She winked and patted the girl on the head as she skipped from the kitchen, almost crashing into Mihoshi as the woman stumbled her way.

"Whoops! Sorry Ryoko! Long night on patrol and I just thought, `why don't I go down and see if anyone ELSE is up', cause' you know how hungry I get when-"

Ryoko gracefully sidestepped around Mihoshi, nodding vaguely as the sentences rambled on.

"Yeah, yeah, well I gotta go! I'll be back later Sasami!"

Sasami looked up, waving to Ryoko as she glanced over to Mihoshi and motioned her to a chair.

"Don't be too late Ryoko! You'll miss out on all the food, you know how my sister loves second helpings!"

A muffled yelp from upstairs caused Ryoko to chuckle inwardly as she raced out the door before Ayaka could come down to spoil her mood once again. The brisk wind greeted her as she teleported through the door and into the open air. Sunlight danced off the space ship sitting in the middle of the lake as drops of water glistened on the paths around the house.

<I>"Another great landing by Mihoshi… I'd love to see the day that woman will lean how to do ANYTHING right!"</I>

Ryoko flew towards the fields, stuffing an egg roll in her mouth as she headed towards the rapidly growing figure just ahead of her.

"TENCHIII!"

A grin covered her face as she glomped him, knocking him over as she clung to his neck in a protective hug. The basket fell to the ground beside them, it's contents half way spilling out onto the ground. A minute later Ryoko sat up and looked happily at Tenchi who was still recovering from a rather severe blush.

"It looks like your feeling better this morning Ryoko."

"Yep I am! I came all the way out here to see you cause I have to talk to you about something I didn't want to mention in front of that nosy Aya-"

"Aw you spilled my lunch Ryoko!"

Her head shot to attention as her smile curled even more on her lips, then turned to a pout. Ryoko reached into her pocket and removed another Egg Roll.

"I'm sorry! Didn't mean it, but at least SOME of it is still good. We could also share mine if you like!"

She leaned inwards, dangling the poor defenseless egg roll in front of Tenchi's face. A seductive look covered her face, causing the boy to blush even more. The panicked look on his face amused her; she knew he'd never go for any of her advances, but watching him squirm was just as much fun. Sometimes she didn't even know why she tried to get more of a reaction out of him, he'd still offer his usual response of "Go away Ryoko I'm busy," and that would be it. At least she never gave up, just incase he'd actually submit for once instead of backing away from her.

"Th-that's alright Ryoko, I can eat mine alright."

The seductive look vanished from her face and was replaced by one of fake disappointment before the words even left his mouth. As usual he backed away and picked up his hoe again to continue working. It was a tactic she though was quite clever, it allowed him to ignore her and gather his wits for a little bit before she started teasing him again.

<I>"Well, he can ignore me in body, but not in voice!"</I>

She opened her mouth to speak again, replacing the egg roll and standing up beside him almost copying him. Before the words were even out of her mouth, Tenchi spoke, cutting her off.

"So what did you want to talk about Ryoko, I have a lot of work to do."

The usual note of dismissal drenched the phrase, the tone that told her to cut the shit and get what ever was on her mind out in the open. Her heart flipped over, her eyes loosing a bit of spark as she calmed from her lusting spree.

"I…"

Words stuck in her throat, suddenly she didn't care for his feelings anymore, a wave of cool anger swept over her. She'd come out here to talk to him about something important and he was blowing her off! Any other time she'd usually deal with it in the usual way; usually a bunch of booze and a long nap, but now… she just felt a bit pissed off. SHE was the one who felt sick last night and HE'D ignored her! Now he was doing the same thing and no one else was even there! Geeze, it wasn't like she couldn't be serious once in awhile!"

"Y'know you don't have to be so cruel, you hardly ever HAVE to deal with me alone so the least you could do is be a bit nicer!"

Ryoko brought her arm up and latched onto her shoulder, a defensive position that also showed her hurt. The action usually got her more attention, and even as Tenchi froze a moment, she knew he wouldn't be looking up at her. Her eyes watched him as he stared at the ground, hoeing the same spot over and over as the silence lengthened.

"I know I goof off a lot, but there are times when I AM serious and if you don't know that by now then you don't know me! All I wanted to tell you was that …"

Her voice caught again as a sudden pain in her head jolted her. Her eyes opened wide, releasing the built up tears she'd been holding back so she wouldn't seem too emotional. The color fell from her face as she dropped softly to her knees. Tenchi's form in front of her was blurry but she could still tell he was only staring ahead.

<I>"Not NOW! Not when I'm trying to seem pissed off! Dammit, the least you could do is look over so you don't think I'm being over-dramatic!"</I>

A familiar ache started in her forehead, then it slowly radiated out towards the rest of her skull. It seemed stronger, actuallyhurting more than aching. A silence filled her world as she sat still on her knees, waiting for the pain to subside so she could say SOMETHING. Through the haze she glimpsed Tenchi leaning on the hoe, a look of deep thought on his face. Even as he spoke the words swam in waves, crashing into her in burst.

"Ryoko… I DO listen to you… - Just can't tell if you are being SERIOUS!"

<I>"Something's coming… I can feel it. Something attached to me that's effecting me… the pain, it's not MY pain, but someone else's pain!"</I>

Again she felt her mind open up and her thoughts lifted from her mind. The empty feeling consumed her once again, but this time it sucked her dry and left her weak. Her hands shook as the attack ended and finally left her staring blankly on the ground.

"Ryoko? Are you alright?"

<I>"So NOW he looks over!"</I>

Her brain clicked on as she tentatively looked up at Tenchi, her eyes masking the pain she still felt inside. Ryoko let her hands fall to the ground as her voice came out in a low moaning whisper.

"I don't know what's going on… I was fine… and just like last night my head started pounding…"

She closed her eyes, trying to get a grip on her self and listened to the sound of Tenchi's footsteps as he stepped back to look at her.

"Probably just hung over like usual."

"No! NOT as usual!"

The emotion ran clear in her voice as it cried out from her throat. HOW could he be so insensitive? Here she was practically DYING and he was saying it was a mere headache?

<I>"He obviously didn't see how little I drank last night, not even two bottles!"</I>

She saw him flinch as she opened her eyes, the hoe dropping from his hands to the ground. Tenchi knelt down to her level, a look of shock on his face he stared at the pained look on her face.

"Ryoko… did you talk to Washu about it? She'll probably be able to help you more than I can…"

The dismissal wasn't even in his voice, yet Ryoko felt it in her heart. She turned away from him, tired of playing games with a boy. She felt like shit and all he wanted to do is put her in someone else's hands. Her eyes looked back at him, watching his eyes stare at the ground. Her head shook slightly as disbelief washed over her… was he looking back at the HOE? All he wanted to do was get back to work!

"You'd rather get back to work then deal with me right now… It's ok… you don't have to say it. Maybe it IS just a headache."

She forced a smile on her weary face as she climbed back to her feet. The world was spinning as she turned and walked across the grass, waving back to him as she usually did with a smile. Ryoko flew up into the air, glancing briefly at the house before turning and heading towards the forest.

_ _ ­_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _