Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Lyrics to a Love Story ❯ It Don't Matter to Me ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three

It Don't Matter to Me

Tenchi returned to the house after taking a considerable amount of time ambling down the hillside trying to gather his courage and bury his emotions. He had to do this; he had to do this for their future's sake. Breathing deeply, Tenchi faced the house that would be, he hoped, the home for his children. Opening the door and removing his shoes, Tenchi swallowed the knot that had magically appeared at the base of his throat.

"Lord Tenchi, is that you?" Ayeka's soft voice questioned from the living room.

"Yeah, its me, Ayeka." Tenchi replied rather surprised by the steadiness of his voice.

"Dinner will be ready shortly, you should have enough time to relax should you need to." Ayeka informed him as a faint blush rose to her cheeks.

"Thank you, Ayeka. I think I'll take a soak." Tenchi avoided entering the living room and remained on course, continuing up the stairs without glancing in at Ayeka.

It don't matter to me

Feeling slightly rejected Ayeka wandered towards the front door after Tenchi had left. Standing at the front door of the house looking out onto the peaceful day Ayeka tried to not think about the fast approaching decisions she would have to make. The scene before her extravagantly serene, the old battles and raging fights were a matter of the past. Sighing wistfully Ayeka looked around the yard. It was lonesome now. True Tenchi was back, but the camaraderie she had enjoyed during his absence was gone.

If you really feel that

You need some time to be free

Watching the butterflies float on the delicate zephyrs of summer, Ayeka leaned against the doorframe. It had taken her quite a bit of time to accept his decision to go to college, feeling abandoned and depressed by his choice. But that time had been necessary for all involved. Tenchi had needed the opportunity to grow and the rest of the family had needed the break from the constant demands.

Time to go out searching for yourself
Hoping to find
Time ... to go to find

A slight smile drifted across her face. The whole family had rejoiced the day he had returned. Back from college and back to his family. That day had been an amazing day of rejoicing and reveling. Ryoko had remained sober through the entire event, which in and of itself had made the occasion all the more special.

Ayeka shifted her weight back onto her feet, straighten her kimono and brushed herself off. Turning back to enter the house, Ayeka's smile faded. The summons… Could she really do this to Tenchi? Could she really bring herself to force him into something? Shaking her head as she passed through the living room, Ayeka sighed as she made her decision. There was no room for doubts, one way or another the choice would be made. Tonight!

Ryoko stared up at the dimly lit ceiling of Washu's laboratory. She had slept all day again. It was getting to be a habit. Worn out and exhausted from her nightly tears, Ryoko would wake up in the early evening.

It would soon be time for dinner. Meaning Tenchi would soon be home. Tenchi… maybe Washu was right. He hadn't made a decision yet, maybe her tears and worries were a tad bit premature? Rising to her elbows, Ryoko summoned cheer to her thoughts. If Tenchi had not chosen, then she still had a chance. If he hadn't made his choice, then that still left her in the running. Hope gathered its battered body and took flight on mended wings.

There was still hope… … … …

The family gathered around the dining room table. Mihoshi, Noboyuki, Tenchi, Ayeka, Sasami, Ryo-ohki, Ryoko and Washu gathered around the table. Dinner began with murmurs of appreciation for the delightful meal. One by one the entire table thanked Sasami for the meal.

And as everyone began to eat, Tenchi felt two familiar pairs of eyes turn on him. College had taught Tenchi how to read the glances directed at him. One pair of eyes was gazing at him with a look of longing so intense he could feel the weight of it without ever turning his head in her direction. The other was a preoccupied glance, one confusing in its wavering intesity. Now Tenchi was nervous.

Washu calmly looked around the table, the players are assembled Tsunami, now what will you do with this game you have set? Washu watched as Ayeka's eyes cautiously watched Tenchi. Deliberately keeping her movements unhurried, Washu turned her eyes to her daughter. Washu's face softened when her emerald eyes fell on her daughter. Such pain, such unnecessary pain, Washu thought as she felt as much as saw the longing vibrating in waves from Ryoko.

Dinner was a tamed event, with everyone waiting tensely for the explosion of emotion that was inevitable when the three components of the love triangle were within close proximity of each other. Slowly, the meal finished with everyone at the table unwilling to leave in hopes of watching the eventual battle. It was Washu that finally rose first, disgusted with everyone else's behavior.

"Come on, Ryoko, we have matters to attend to in the lab." Washu addressed her reluctant daughter in a motherly tone that gave no quarter.

"Yes Mom." Ryoko's sullen voice gave no hint of denial.

As the mother and daughter left the table in quiet somberness the rest of the gathered members of the family watched as the two slowly left the room. Just before completely leaving the rest of the family behind Ryoko slowly turned her head to the room. Eyes searching for truth and pain clearly evident in the furrow of her brows, Ryoko's eyes mirrored her feelings.

Her despair obvious, as finally her eyes settled on Tenchi, Ryoko eyes softened with adoration for a moment. Then as if realization at last pierced the veil of hopeful longing, Ryoko swung eyes from Tenchi's face to Ayeka's. Tears slowly brimmed to the surface as the obvious conclusion about the real reason for the summons dawned on her. One by one the family stared at the former space pirate, hoping against hope that the knowledge wouldn't break the fragile soul beneath the catastrophe-forged amour.

It had been Ryoko's eyes that had firmed Ayeka's resolve, not Tenchi's lack of feelings. But instead the evident pain in Ryoko's eyes. To make such a cherished friend suffer so seemed alien to her. Ayeka watched with a knotted stomach, as a shallow understanding of the implied meaning of the summons ghosted across Ryoko's bullion eyes. Ryoko's eyes faded from their rich bullion to a pale topaz, understanding the full meaning of the summons and everyone's actions since that day drained the life and humor from their lustrous depths. Ryoko looked back at the princess eyes strangely compassionate and sadly understanding.

Ryoko's throat clenched shut with emotions as she turned to Tenchi. She could tell he hadn't wanted this. Hadn't wanted her pain. A small smile of empathy curved her lips; Ryoko knew she had to make this speech, the family needed to believe that she would survive. Even if it were a hollow lie, she would give them the security they needed while she was still capable to give it. "I sorta figured something out on my own. The summons, they're a sort of offer aren't they?"

At the answering nods Ryoko swallowed the lump that had suddenly formed at the back of her throat. This was not the time to chicken out now. There was no turning back. It was time to stop the battles and to accept the new role in everyone's lives. "Oh well it never mattered to me anyway. Me, her or even someone else, it never mattered to me." Turning to Ayeka, Ryoko swallowed her pride. "Ayeka, you won fair and square… don't do anything I wouldn't do."

It don't matter to me
If you take up with
Someone who's better than me

Ayeka sat in stunned shock. Ryoko's acceptance had been unexpected. Ayeka had been prepared to fight, maybe even deal with tears, but the quiet resignation of defeat had not been what she had anticipated. Ryoko's eyes had transfixed Ayeka, from bullion to topaz, and from topaz to an impossibly pale shade of marigold yellow. The colors were so singularly unique that Ayeka was certain she could tell Ryoko's emotional state simply by looking at the color of her eyes. Each color seemed so unrelated and yet they all possessed that same brilliant hue that made Ryoko's eyes the startling hallmark of her beauty. With each color change the flecks of brown and shards of black grew or receded.

It was the compassionate understanding that had broken Ayeka's heart even further. Despite her own pain, Ryoko could still wish the princess all the happiness that would not be afforded the space pirate. Humiliation and shame, hung the princess's head. She had to stop the pair from hurting each other further. And if that meant dragging Tenchi forcibly through the entire abdication ceremony herself, if that was what it would take for the two most important people in her life to stop hurting? Then that would be what she would do.

'Cause your happiness is all I want

"Tenchi, don't worry about me. You can't lose anything that wasn't yours to begin with so, I haven't really lost, now have I?" Ryoko's attempt to joke caused Tenchi to wince, knowing her mask would crack at any moment Ryoko made a few more strained jokes then looked around the room preparing to fade from sight.

For you to find peace ...

Misinterpreting Ayeka's bowed head, Ryoko's eyes flashed with the depth of her pain. With eyes wide with startled pain and heartbreak Ryoko turned from the room and raced to the lab, in her distress forgetting how to teleport completely. The family watched as Ryoko's form fluttered in and out of sight in synchronicity with her faint sobs. At last the pirate was gone, leaving Washu to glare menacingly at the pair before her. Then with a sigh of defeat, Washu turned and chased after her daughter.

When finally the pair had disappeared behind the innocuous closet door everyone released a collective sigh. It had been in the impossibly miniscule span of time before the pirate had turned to flee from sight, the princess and pirate's eyes met. In that moment Ayeka had understood the full cost of Ryoko's words, both for the pirate and for herself. Looking into Ryoko's eyes in that solidified moment, Ayeka had seen, seen beyond the mask and behind the fears. It was in that moment of revelation that Ryoko's eyes had become that unforgettable shade of marigold, the flecks of brown and black completely absent from the disks of color.

Ayeka stood from her seated position. Then turned to the shocked Tenchi. The look of confused hurt etched into his young face, making him seem so much older than his 20 some years of life. Swallowing her doubts and burying her vanity, Ayeka forced herself through the next few moments, in the end this would settle all the unanswered questions created by Tenchi's indecisiveness. Looking down at her own tightly clenched hands Ayeka summoned the mental fortitude required to sacrifice so much of herself.

your peace of mind

So haunted… … … Ryoko looked so haunted. Closing her eyes languidly, hoping that the action appeared calmed rather than what it had felt, the hasty retreat from her internal turmoil. Ayeka steeled herself to possibly deal the blow that could shatter her own heart forever. Hoping against hope that her sacrifice was somehow unnecessary, despite the pain it would cause to everyone else. She had hoped that somehow, someway she would be the only one in his heart.

A lot of people have an ego hang-up

'Cause they want to be the only one

Tenchi continued to sit mutely staring at the opening through which his heart and his future had fled, crying tears of pain. Hoping to calm himself, Tenchi closed his eyes. Which was a bad decision. Images of Ryoko crying to herself and questioning her own existence flew unbidden to his mind. He could feel her pain, her sorrow and despair shredding at his heart. It was almost as if they were connected somehow, in some way; as if a faint string, invisible but strong attached his heart to hers in an unbreakable bond (1).

Shaking his head Tenchi opened his eyes to deal with the woman before him. He couldn't do what his grandfather had suggested. He couldn't lead Ayeka on. To knowingly hurt her was beyond him and yet he was afraid of what he was risking by telling her the truth of his heart.

Ayeka watched as Tenchi's eyes opened and the familiar look of tired compassion replaced the confused pain of moments before. Ayeka felt nervous dread straighten her spine, he was going to tell her, and she couldn't take his compassionate offer of nothing but friendship. She could be his friend and love him at arms length but to have him dismiss her? That she could not take, his compassionate attempt to console her while he shattered her dreams of the future? No, for her own sake she had to do this herself and not allow him to fall into the role of caring friend.

Memories of Yosho and Itsuki. Ayeka had been too young at the time to fully recall everything, but the word abdication flashed to the front of her mind. Yosho's noble sacrificing chase after Ryoko had been nothing but a cover for his abdication! On Jurai destiny was taught as the price one pays for being descendants from gods. The youth of nobility were taught conformity and acceptance of their fate. Ayeka had never questioned the reasons why. But now, looking into Tenchi's eyes she could see the love for Ryoko blazing like the fire of 1000 torches and she understood. The sacrifice that Yosho had made all those years ago for Itsuki and that Tenchi was now willing to make for Ryoko, it all made sense.

Now staring into Tenchi's caring eyes, she questioned. Why was the future course of Jurai's nobility so plotted when no other ruling class throughout the known universe had such distinction. Why were only the Jurai incapable of freewill, to defy the course of destiny. Looking at Tenchi Ayeka felt question after question fill her mind.

Tenchi watched as self-doubt and suspicion rose in Ayeka's eyes. Maybe she suspected. Tenchi held his breath as he watched Ayeka. Finally her eyes focused back on him and dismay filled his heart. She knew… Ayeka knew… about his plan to abdicate…about his love for Ryoko…about everything… she knew.

Ayeka knew the moment the dread crept into Tenchi's eyes that he loved Ryoko and that he planned to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. Abdication was becoming a trend with the Masaki family. Ayeka had wondered how she had remained First Princess after Achika's birth. By royal custom the title would have been Achika's birthright as child of the First Prince, successor to his abdicated inheritance. At some point Achika would have had to abdicate as well, leaving the title of heir apparent for her son and the title of First Princess for Ayeka. And like his mother before him, Tenchi planned to abdicate.

Ayeka shook her head; the pieces of the puzzle fell into place finally. Tenchi's hesitation and nervousness around Ryoko had persisted even after his return from college. At the time Ayeka had taken that as encouraging, but now she could see the distinction. Ryoko had been the only one of all the girls in the house that Tenchi remained boyishly flustered around. With Mihoshi he was tolerant and patient, with Sasami brotherly affectionate and caring, Ryo-ohki received the same consideration as Sasami and with Washu; Tenchi was as caring and loving as a son. Even with herself Tenchi offered loving friendship easily, the closeness a comfort and the relaxed effortlessness of his charm flattering.

It was only with Ryoko that he stumbled over words, blushed furiously and became awkwardly self-conscious. Ryoko was still none the wiser of his affections and now thanks to her own antics Ryoko might never know. Loving Tenchi was something that Ayeka had never pondered. Her love had blossomed out of respect and caring, his relation to Yosho having little to do with her feelings. But as she stood there watching the nervous apprehension on Tenchi's face rise like the sea during a storm, she pondered the nature of her love for Tenchi.

From within herself Ayeka deliberated over her feeling for Tenchi. She loved him that was certain. But what was the nature of that love? Was it simply the love one holds for a friend or something more? Ayeka was certain that she loved Tenchi as more than simply a friend. Were her feelings a misplaced sense of gratitude? No, she could not see her emotions straying so much that love bloomed from gratefulness. Ayeka continued to examine her emotions for Tenchi, while the young man stood before her.

Tenchi watched in befuddled anxiety, as Ayeka stood before him, silent. They had been left alone at least 20 minutes ago and still neither one spoke. Ayeka's introspective journey was beginning to worry Tenchi slightly, would the princess refuse her rightful hold on him? And if not then what would he do?

She loved him, because he was her first love. Nothing beyond that made sense to Ayeka. Tenchi was a kind, giving soul that had easily won her heart. Ayeka had lived on Earth long enough to understand that for some earthlings true love wasn't found on the first time around. Finding one's soul mate could take an entire lifetime or happen in an instant. But would those rules for Jurain nobility, which believed love was preordained, hold true? Yes, Ayeka could feel her love for Tenchi deep within her heart, but was this still that same love that had consumed her in the beginning?

Ayeka looked up at Tenchi again. His face was so very handsome to her. Sharply angled cheeks and a firmly set jaw all with the faintest suggestions of Yosho, but still completely Tenchi warmed her heart. And yet… … … The desperate edge that had driven her heart for so long was gone. The heart racing, pulse-pounding exhilaration she used to feel when in his presence was gone. Instead it was replaced by a comfortable ease, the same feeling she got when she wore her favorite old lavender kimono. And while yes, love between two people could be comfortable and relaxing, it should never feel like putting on old clothes. Or at least the love felt between to people that were soul mated.


The thought of Tenchi being an old comfortable kimono being passed from one girl to another, for some odd reason struck Ayeka as funny. Then another thought struck her, Tenchi had been passed from girl to girl while away at college. Who knows maybe they thought of him as the campus kimono? The ridiculous hilarity was now too much for Ayeka and she burst out into the most unprincess-like, but very pirate-like laughter.

Breathy chuckles soon lapsed into giant gasping guffaws of laughter, as Ayeka could no longer contain herself. Tenchi international man of seduction. Another whoop of laughter rose from Ayeka's throat. Tenchi the campus ladies' man, oh yeah, the dog! Tears were now slowly trickling down Ayeka's face. She had known about Tenchi's relationships, hell his fat-lipped friend Amagasi had yammered on and on about it. The whole family had known about Tenchi's relationships, every last one of them!

How many came before it really doesn't matter

Just as long as you're the last

Between Amagashi's blabbering and Washu's constant surveillance, Tenchi's love life had become family entertainment during his years away. Love life… that sobered Ayeka up instantly. She had never really thought about making love to Tenchi. Yes, the usually girlish thoughts of candlelight and flowers, whispered terms of endearment and gentle caresses had crossed her mind. But the adult act seemed so removed from her fantasies. Ayeka still felt attracted to Tenchi, a woman would have to be dead not to, but under scrutiny the attraction had little to do with her heart's desire and more to do with his physical appearance.

Gathering all the context clues together, Ayeka defined her feelings for Tenchi. It wasn't easy but in the end looking at all her emotions, past and present, Ayeka could safely say that she would always love him, just not with that all consuming need she had felt in the beginning. At first the all consuming embarrassment and awkwardness that she felt when in his presence had been confusing but soon as time wore on, Ayeka learned to take comfort in her love.

She would always treasure her feelings for him, but in the end, Tenchi was her first crush, the first boy/man that had held her interest besides Yosho. Her feelings for Yosho were nothing more than the love of a sister for her brother; Ayeka wondered how she could have ever confused it for that of a lover.

Everybody's moving on and try to find out
What's been missing in the past

But for Tenchi her love had been different. And with her love for Tenchi came love for the others that now encompassed her family. Even Ryoko shared a piece of her heart. Smiling up at Tenchi, Ayeka nodded slightly then prepared to say the words that had been locked by feeble hope in her throat.

"Tenchi… I have something I must tell you but I ask that you not interrupt me while I say this, since this is such a hard speech to make." Ayeka waited for his nod and then continued. "Tenchi I have to say this first. I love you." At Tenchi's wide-eyed look of pain Ayeka quickly continued, rushing her explanation. "You were the first man that loved me for myself. Not as a brother for his sister, not as a father for his daughter, not as a devoted subject towards his future monarch. No, you were the first to love me. Ayeka Jurai, not princess Ayeka, not little Ayeka, not anything more than what I am."

Taking in a great sigh, Ayeka gathered her resolve, these next words would be the most difficult to utter for the rest of her life. "And I thank you for the gift of your love. But I realized a while ago that, that gift was one of friendship, and not, as I had blindly hoped, one of a deeper love. A love reserved for soul mates. But I have had enough time to evaluate my feelings for you and I know now that we could never be together the way I want us to be."

Tenchi prepared to speak then remembered his promise to remain silent until Ayeka was finished. Clamping his mouth shut and preparing to hug Ayeka Tenchi stepped forward. Noticing Tenchi's actions Ayeka stepped away from him, dodging his embrace and continued to speak. "Tenchi, I must say this and you holding me will make it more difficult. I love you Tenchi, but I am not the one you love." At Tenchi's surprised look of shock Ayeka began to nod. "Yes, Tenchi I know you love Ryoko. I have known for quite some time now, but have either been in denial or simply refused to accept it. But I cannot allow myself the protection that intentional ignorance affords."

Tenchi nodded for Ayeka to continue. "You belong with Ryoko. She loves you in a way I never thought possible for any living being to love another. She loves you with a depth of emotion so overwhelming there are times when I am certain I can feel it. She longs for you and yearns for you. And while it is true I feel that way for you, I believe my love for you can be easily relegated to nothing but friendship. I will always love you, but I can no longer stand idly by and watch the pair of you float passed each other like two stars. You are pulled by her and she by you. I refuse to watch as you both try to avoid each other, hoping to prevent my pain. I will be hurt either way, either by entering in a one-sided relationship or by not being with you. But the decision to not be with you is easier than the decision to love you and know that you love someone else."

And it don't matter to me
If your searching brings you back together with me

Tears were gathering in her eyes now. She could sacrifice her love for him, for his happiness, but that did not make the pain any less. Inhaling deeply and brushing aside the tears that had escaped from her control, Ayeka again continued. "Your journey to college did not matter to me, you needed the distance to discover yourself. Your relationships and affairs with your classmates and others girls you met, did not matter either, you needed the experience to discover where your heart laid. None of your actions in the last 6 yrs have mattered to me."

'Cause there'll always be
An empty room waiting for you

"They were all necessary to make you the man that both Ryoko and I adore. All I ask of you is that, should you discover your heart lies elsewhere you will follow where your heart takes you. I know you want to comfort me, but understand that by doing so you are sending an unconscious message to the entire household; one that I am more than certain that you do not Ryoko to believe. So please, give me the time I need alone to mourn. To mourn the loss of you, and of your heart and for the love I thought was once mine. Now go. Go to her, she needs you I can feel it."

An open heart waiting for you
Time is on my side ...

When Tenchi refused to move from his rigid position before her, Ayeka waved her hands at him, shooing him away. "Go on. Get!" And still he remained before her. "I said leave!" Ayeka's eyes flashed from pained compassion to anger. Was he going to just stand there and let the woman he loved slide right through his fingers? Finally tired of watching Tenchi stand, Ayeka turned and brushed past him to storm off for the kitchen.

Tenchi stood shocked. Ayeka was okay with this? Eyebrows rising towards the atmosphere Tenchi watched blankly as Ayeka brushed past him. Well, he guessed she was. Shrugging in confusion Tenchi turned to go to Washu's lab.

'Cause it don't matter to me ...

From within the safe haven of the kitchen Ayeka finally allowed the tears to slide loose from her control. Sobbing gently over the sink as her finger grasped the edge of the counter top with a fierce grip. Tears rolled rapidly down her cheeks as her heart began to mourn its loss. She hadn't lied to him; nothing of what had happened in the past 6 years had mattered to her. She could say that now. Not then, not when it had all happened but now with the knowledge she had, she could see none of his actions during that time had mattered. Tenchi's decisions to go to college and to have relationships with other women hadn't mattered to her.

It don't matter to me ....

From within her lab Washu kept one eye on her exhausted daughter and the other on the couple shown on the screen before her. Gently caressing Ryoko's hair Washu willed her daughter into a dreamless slumber, all while watching the pair wordlessly resolve their situation. Watching Tenchi and Ayeka's faces closely Washu saw the exact moment Ayeka relinquished her hopes for Tenchi's heart. The mirror of Tenchi's look of shock repeated itself on Washu's face. But as she continued to watch Washu's surrogate maternal pride in Ayeka shone in her eyes. Ayeka would not stand in Tenchi's way.

'Cause there'll always be
An empty room waiting for you

Washu smiled softly as she looked down at Ryoko while she continued to stroke her daughter's hair. Ayeka would always be a member of the family. Her sacrifice would not be squandered nor disregarded. She would always welcome the princess with open arms and a warm home. Finally turning back to the monitor Washu realized the moment Tenchi left Ayeka's side, he would be looking for a way to Jurai. Washu left Ryoko's side to answer his needs before he woke her up.

From within her tumultuous dreams Ryoko struggled to breathe. Tears of pain and anguish raced down her cheeks. He loved Ayeka, had loved her all along. She had never had a chance, was never in the running. Ryoko's dreamscape became a hideously midnight dark wasteland. Looking around herself Ryoko recognized the dreamscape and shivered with fear. HE was in this world. In this lone plane of her mind HE still existed.

Even now she could still feel the coldness of his hands around her throat, suffocating the life from her body.

Tossing and turning in her bed trying to escape the shadowed figure that seemed constantly

Racing across the nightmarish hell Ryoko flew as fast a she possibly could, faster than she ever thought she was capable of. And still HE was right behind her. His breath chilling the back of her neck and setting the tiny hairs there on end. HE was toying with her, playing with her. HE could catch her at any minute and then the real torture would begin.

Still trying to escape the inevitable Ryoko reached down into her soul and found the strength for an amazing burst of speed. Feeling safe for the first time since she fell asleep Ryoko looked over her shoulder to see the shadow was far, far behind her. And with the arrogance of blind speed, came the unavoidable disastrous crash. Moving so fast she could not stop herself, Ryoko barreled straight into her nightmare stalker.

Kagato's dead eyes locked on hers as his hand shot out and clamped around her neck. The bone-jarring stop from such a tremendous speed stole the breath from her lungs and temporarily stunned her. Ryoko's eyes had been forced shut by the stop and now slowly opened in dreaded anticipation to look up into the only pair of eyes that she truly hated. Cold dead eyes swept over her face with calculating precision.

Ryoko felt herself tremble as his eyes settled on her chest. Instantly recognizing the look of lust in the frozen stare, Ryoko prayed to every god that she had never believed in for salvation. No, he wouldn't do this to her, he couldn't do this to her. She was beneath him, his toy, his pet, his imperfect waste product. She was nothing. Yet his eyes raked across her body refusing to conceal the obvious hunger.

And as the forceful hand that was slowly collapsing her throat brought her closer to his face his gaze turned from cold to scorching hot. "You've grown so very much, since the last time you were here, have you not?" His voice could still send chills of terror spasming through her body. "My pet, did you honestly believe you could escape me forever? That little boy of yours could truly defeat me? I am more than what any one such as yourself could ever fathom. And just so you know, I am more than simple the manifestations of your fears of a corpse. The Kagato that existed in the real world and the man that I am are one and the same."

His voice was low and to Ryoko's ears hollow, but the heated breath that fluttered her hair and brushed her ears felt more real than anything she had ever dreamed before. Closing her eyes in fear Ryoko willed away the tremors of fright that were shaking her body. She could feel the lust in the heat of his breath, smell it in the faint pheromone laden odor he emanated, and she could hear it in the cruel leer in his voice.

"My little pet, did you think you could escape your master?" His harsh voice taunted her. Had her freedom really been all but a way of lowering her defenses?

"Yes, my little pet, what you are thinking is exactly what I have been planning. I have been waiting rather patiently for you to mature. I must say, I do not think I would have exercised the amount of restraint that I did had I known your form would become so very pleasing to the eye. Yes, I am certain if your corporal state had been then what it is now, I would have been far more lenient with you punishment. You have always been mine, you do know that my little pet? Mine for using, mine for the teaching and mine for the taking." Voice low and husky with lust, Kagato began to appraise her physical form with both hand and eyes.

Shivering with terror and frozen in horrified shock, Ryoko could do nothing to stop the questing hand. I'm sorry Tenchi………I wanted you to be my first……… I'm soo very sorry…

Tenchi's head snapped to attention, completely ignoring Washu's instructions on how to control the ship she would be loaning him. Ryoko! That had been Ryoko's voice! She was sorry? But why? Tenchi shook his head to try and clear the confusion and concentrate on the faint tickle at the back of his mind. For the first time in years, Tenchi had heard Ryoko's voice clearly and distinctly in his head. And now for the first time in his life he was going to figure out why.

Closing his eyes with his concentration focused completely inward Tenchi searched his mind for the source of her voice. And after a few moments of intense inward meditation Tenchi found the delicate thread that led him to Ryoko. Following the silver/cyan thread, Tenchi's soul left his body. Arriving at the end of the faint thread Tenchi looked down on the hellish landscape. Fear for Ryoko forming a knot in his throat. Swallowing the knot of fear and summoning his courage Tenchi pushed through the sky and entered the world below.

Following instinct Tenchi closed in on Ryoko. Drifting on an unseen wind Tenchi flew in the direction his heart guided. After what seemed like hours Tenchi saw two shadowy figures at the crest of the hill before him. One he could not make out the other's hair forming the familiar silhouette of Ryoko. He raced forward, heart thumping in his chest with a sense for foreboding dread.

When Tenchi finally arrived within earshot of the pair he instantly stopped moving. Kagato! That man was still here, in this nightmarish hell within Ryoko's mind? Tenchi's mind raced with fear as he watched Kagato's fist tighten it strangle hold on Ryoko's throat and brought her face closer to his. Tenchi stood frozen for an instant, while he watched Kagato's lips approach Ryoko's helpless fear frozen face.

Then he heard. He heard the words that, that monster was whispering to her. Words that were nothing but lies. Ryoko's heart belonged to him and he would be damned if this nightmarish ghoul was going to take the woman he loved without a fight. With a roar of pure hatred Tenchi charged forward. He would destroy this monster again to save Ryoko. Rage, white hot and unyielding coursed through his blood as he charged at the pair.

For a moment the pair on the hill seemed frozen in confusion, lost in their own world. Then as Tenchi's distant form grew in shape and size they watched in baffled curiosity. Both Ryoko and Kagato's heads tilted slightly in synchronized motion mimicking a curious puppy. What was that coming at them? It wasn't until the furious bellow assailed their ears that the pair realized what was approaching them. Both blinked with almost comical innocence. How did he get here?

The closer to the pair Tenchi got the more enraged he became. Why hadn't Kagato release Ryoko yet? The longer Kagato's hands remained on Ryoko, the longer his torture would last. Tenchi smirked as his mind seethed with images of the pain he would inflict. Tenchi smirk turned into an evil grin as he realized he could finally put his deeply hidden mean streak to good use.

Kagato was the first of the pair to regain his faculties. Taking a moment reappraise the man approaching him, he fought his instinct to fling Ryoko away and prepare to fight. Ryoko would be the key to whether or not he was to survive this. Wrapping Ryoko in his possessive embrace Kagato leered evilly at Tenchi. Yes, this would be so easy. The boy was so weak where Ryoko was concerned. It would not take much to push him past the point of rational thought.

Without stopping his forward assault on the pair Tenchi, watched as Kagato suppress his instinct and gather Ryoko to his side, her body pressed flush to his. Tenchi could feel the fury rise like bile from his stomach. He knew what Kagato was trying to do. And it was working! Tenchi tried desperately to redirect his anger, to fight with his emotions was to hasten defeat.

Ryoko finally shook out of her stupor. Tenchi? What was he doing here? In her dreams? Was he just her imagination trying to protect what little innocence was left? Ryoko's eyes watched as Tenchi raced towards Kagato and herself. She saw his immediate reaction to Kagato's hold on her. He was jealous? No, Tenchi wouldn't be jealous of her, not when he had his princess to love him. Ryoko's eyes dimmed as she accepted that his presence was nothing but her imagination.

Kagato sensed the moment Ryoko's hope died. So the figure racing towards them was nothing more than a defense mechanism? He would deal with this minor distraction then he would have his way with his pet. Kagato's arrogance easily asserted itself despite the faint nagging in the back of his mind to not disregard the man racing at him.

Tenchi's mind screamed as he watched and felt Ryoko resign herself to her fate at Kagato's hands. How was it possible for him to know what she felt and her to be completely oblivious to his emotions? Hoping to bide himself some more time to think Tenchi slowed his pace, marginally.

Kagato sensed the change and again doubt fleetingly flashed though his thoughts. As long as Ryoko accepted defeat then her projection would be easily crushed. And now that he had more time he was going to use it to the best of his ability and familiarize himself even more with the voluptuous contours of his captive's body. Who would have guess his little puppet would have grown to be such a tempting vixen?

Tenchi's mind snapped, jealousy overrode logic and rage broke the constraints of his control. In a blink Tenchi was at Kagato's side fist meeting jaw in a bone-crunching blow. The arms holding Ryoko slackened their grip and she slipped to the ground, rolling away from the battle. The dull smack of fist connecting with flesh did little to appease Tenchi's rage. Kagato wasn't allowed a moment to think, the blows were landing and connecting so fast that before he recovered from one the next was arriving.

Kagato barely felt the ground touch his back as he tripped backwards and fell to the ground. Tenchi quickly straddled his chest and began pummeling the man below him further into the ground. Rage unabated he continued punching away at the broken mess below him, the feeling of his hand connecting with flesh somehow comforting.

"Click, bang. Okay Tenchi I think its goo now, you can stop whenever you're ready." Washu's sardonic voice filtered from above the trio.

Pulled back into his own body, Tenchi weaved unsteadily on his feet before regaining his balance. Opening his eyes and blinking several times to focus them Tenchi peered around the room. What had just happened?

"You, my dear boy just discovered your bond to my daughter. I was wondering how long it would take you two to figure it out. Although I didn't expect for things to get so far out of hand when you did. What were you doing in there?" Washu's voice sounded smugly confident of the answer.

"I was protecting her…." Tenchi's voice trailed off as he tried to recall what had happened.

"From what? There aren't many things that Ryoko would need protection from, especially within her own mind." Washu said uncertainty for her daughter's health causing her voice to quiver slightly.

"He was there. In her mind… He wasn't just her imagination gone wild. He was real. I know it." Tenchi's voice sounded distant as he remembered shreds of his time in Ryoko's mind. Lifting his head he tore off in search of Ryoko, Tenchi used his heart as a guide until he found her. She was lying in bed, eyes still closed in sleep. Reaching out his hand he caressed her cheek.

And with that one touch, Ryoko's heart and mind unfolded before him, her voice and soul a tangible, almost physical presence within his mind. Tenchi sighed at least that thing was gone. Pulling away from Ryoko's mind, Tenchi could feel her sadness and confusion. Taking comfort in Ryoko's almost peaceful slumber, Tenchi leaned down to brush gentle lips across her forehead. "I love you…." He whispered softly, finally telling her his heart's long held secret.

An open heart waiting for you
Time is on my side ...

"Come along Tenchi, she's fine now. He can't hurt her anymore. You've seen to it that, that particular demon has been exorcised. She needs her sleep now and you need to get ready to go." Washu's soft compassionate voice floated down to Tenchi as he slowly pulled away from Ryoko.

Once outside of the bedroom Tenchi turned to Washu. "So it wasn't real then? That monster?"

"Oh no, he was real; as real as you and I. Kagato once touched the power of the gems, that one moment permanently saved a portion of his soul within the gems. For as long as Ryoko has had a gem, she has been tormented by Kagato." Washu's voice softened with regret. "I couldn't remove him. I tried. I tried so very hard. But it was impossible. I couldn't do it and Ryoko was too afraid to do it. Thank you Tenchi. Thank you from saving my daughter. Not just from that bastard, but from herself."

"Why thank me Washu? I did nothing remarkable."

"Oh but on the contrary Tenchi, you have done something that even the gods have been incapable of. Believe me I would know. Kagato was never meant to exist beyond his death. Yet the gems kept him in a sort of spiritual stasis. Beyond the reach of the gods and out of the hands of death, he hovered there waiting for a moment of true weakness in Ryoko."

"If not for my constant vigil she would have succumbed to him years ago, most probably few months after you left for college. The only thing that saved your butt from getting the severe kicking it deserved was that my total attention was absorbed with trying to maintain Ryoko. Otherwise trust me, with all your friends giving us constant updates on your current girlfriend of the month, I would have gladly ripped you a new one."

"So all this time, Ryoko has been having nightmares like the one I saw?"

"No Tenchi, actually for the most part, up until the summons she has somehow managed to keep him at bay. Tonight was the first time in years that he was able to break through. But thanks to you he's pretty much history."

"You mean he's not dead?"

"No he's not, his spirit is still out there, but your attack managed to stabilize his form in one place long enough for me to decipher where he was hiding within the gems. Once that was solved it was simply a matter of having Ryoko will away the unwanted entity."

"But can't he come back? I mean if Ryoko is too weak to stand up to him why wouldn't he just come back?"

"Because he is no longer protected by the gems, his spirit is now out there somewhere, completely at the mercy of the gods now. His only connection to Ryoko was through the gems, it was how he controlled her, but he was never the owner of the gems. Only Ryoko can control the gems and as such only she can grant his spirit entry to the power of the gems. So since she won't be doing that any day soon, he's pretty much history."

Tenchi sighed in relief, he felt better about leaving Ryoko now. Now that she wouldn't be in so much danger. And he had finally gotten his chance to admit his feelings for her to her face. True she had been sleeping but needs become musts when the devil drives. Tenchi shook his head, was that what that saying meant?

Washu smiled softly at Tenchi, he would get through this and in the end when everything was said and done, her daughter would be happy at his side. Certain that everything would eventually work out for the best Washu, escorted Tenchi to the ship still giving him explanations as they went.

Yes, he might be confused and he might be too compassionate for his own good, but he was still Tenchi. And if that was all it took for her daughter to be happy, then she would do everything in her power to make sure that he did what needed for Ryoko and his future together to become a reality. Nothing in this world mattered more to her than her daughter's happiness. The whole universe could disappear in an instant, but the only thing that mattered was Ryoko's happiness. She would sacrifice herself and all that she had for Ryoko's happiness.

'Cause it don't matter to me ...