Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Lyrics to a Love Story ❯ Crazy Love ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Crazy Love

Noboyuki watched as his son gathered the few belongings that he would need for his journey. Smiling softly at his son, Noboyuki felt envy and remorse combine in a bittersweet agony. To watch his son go off and face the exact same demon that his mother had faced all those years ago. And what of Ryoko? Would the proud woman sit idly by while Tenchi sacrificed himself just to appease the demands of Jurai and of destiny?

Shaking his head faintly Noboyuki doubted Ryoko would ever allow such a sacrifice to be made by Tenchi. No such a sacrifice was the right and gift of the Masaki women. Whether by blood or by marriage the Masaski women were just as singularly devoted as the Masaki men. And Tenchi had chosen no differently. Ryoko was devoted to the death to the boy. A frown slowly replaced the smile on Noboyuki's face; his son would have to face that demon. KAIN, soul reaper and Destiny's enforcer. Longing to save Tenchi the pain of loss, but knowing that it was far better to live the few precious moments with the woman you loved, gathering all the memories you could, Noboyuki could only swallow his fears.

Tenchi would have to find out on his own what fate had in store for him. Whether that meant that KAIN would excise a heavy toll on Ryoko or not, only the heavens could decided. Shrugging off his concerns and plastering a proud smile on his face Noboyuki returned to his role as slightly oblivious father with ease.

"Tenchi my boy, I want you to know I am proud of you no matter what you decided to do. Just remember, she loves you as much if not more than you love her. Always treasure her love Tenchi, a love like hers and a heart as devoted as hers is not something that you will encounter everyday. Hell, if you're really, really lucky you may find one once in a lifetime. And you my boy have found it; or rather it found you. Don't squander this gift, you don't know how much time you may have."

As the words flowed from his lips Noboyuki's mind flooded with images of his darling Achika. Beautiful and strong, delicate and caring, she loved him with all her heart and sacrificed so much to be with him. Even now he felt undeserving of such a gift. Not just the gift of time and of her heart, but of such a wonderful son. Tenchi had despite all obstacles, remained a devoted and caring son. Little by little Noboyuki's control over his emotions slipped, first his eyes filled then fat tears trickled from the corners.

Sensing his father's anxiety and fearing a tearful departure Tenchi turned to his father after finishing with the last of his packing. Lifting arms that suddenly felt heavy Tenchi hugged his father and told him how much he loved him. Uncertain when the next time he would see his father would be Tenchi tried to make the embrace as comforting as possible.

Pulling back from the hug Tenchi stood before his father, swallowing his apprehension, Tenchi began to make the speech he had been practicing since he left Washu's lab. "Dad, I know I haven't been the greatest of sons and sometimes I must have hurt you with my disregard, but I wanted you to know that I have always been proud to be your son. I have a favor to ask of you, while I'm away I need you to take care of Ryoko. She… she's…" Tenchi's voice faltered for a moment as guilt overwhelmed him.

Finally finding his voice again Tenchi continued, "She's not doing to well right now, and she needs someone else besides Washu there for her. I'm afraid she won't let anyone else near her. If it wouldn't be too much to ask could you and grandfather please care for her? If you would do that for me I'd feel much better about leaving. I know that if you are watching over her, she will be fine." Tenchi lifted his head to look into his father's eyes.

Tenchi watched as his father's eyes swelled with unshed tears and the older man nodded his acceptance. Releasing a sigh of relief Tenchi hadn't realized how important his father's decision had felt. Looking at his father Tenchi felt secure in the knowledge that where Washu might fail his father would not. Despite appearances and outward actions his father was a very observant man and often knew the right words at the right moment. Smiling as his blustering father left the room, Tenchi returned to his packing.

Having finished his packing Tenchi turned to his window. Looking out the window and on to the sunset Tenchi could feel his resolve firm. He would do this, he had to do this. He would not lose her to circumstance. Not fate, not Jurai, not even the heavens themselves could keep him from her.

Pride suffused Noboyuki. His son trusted him enough to request that he be Ryoko's guardian? The woman he loved, the most treasured gift the boy hope to ever possess and he was entrusting her to his care? Noboyuki's voice faltered as his throat clenched with emotion. Stammering for a second and then finally gathering his wits again, Noboyuki nodded proudly with tears glimmering in his eyes. Too emotional for words and fearing embarrassing himself further Noboyuki left his son to finish his packing.

Tonight I'm going to break away

Exiting the room and moving numbly through the house Noboyuki gathered his control and turned to go visit Yosho out at the shrine. Walking slowly at a leisurely pace Noboyuki retraced the path that he had once raced towards. In his mind's eyes he could see himself, young and hopeful racing down the path and up the multitude of steps to get to the lonely shrine. And as he began his journey up the stairs his memories surrounded him in glorious detail. There she stood, at the top of the stairs just inside the almost formal courtyard before the shrine entrance. Her hand outstretched, open in invitation.

Just you wait and see

For a moment he was lost in the past, feeling himself transformed back to that wonderful age, Noboyuki felt his heart lurch; she had been the summit of all his hopes and dreams. His wishes for the present, past and future all gathered into one perfect person. She was there before him now. Waiting for him in that moment he would always remember, the drama of KAIN and the tribulations of college behind them.

I'll never be imprisoned by,

There she stood before him as she had been on that day, with the sun blazing glorious beams of radiance around her, his darling angel, his lovely Achika. Tenchi's name had been a play on his nickname for her. She was his angel and she had given him his heaven and his earth. Everything that encompassed the entirety of his existence she had given him. His son, his happiness, his wonderful life… everything he had ever wanted and needed was all her doing.

A faded memory.

Noboyuki felt the sting of tears again. They came every time he thought of his loss. For a moment he allowed himself to wallow in the comfort that the heartache afforded. Eyes closing to savor the image of her just a moment longer, before he opened them and she was gone. Again the tears gathered in his eyes, the pain unreal and fresh.

Just when I think I'm over her,

Sighing Noboyuki almost chuckled, had he honestly thought the pain was gone? Shaking his head as he pushed passed the fading illusions and gossamer dreams Noboyuki gathered his determination. He would not allow dreams of the past to blur the needs of the present. He could dream about her later, right now his son needed him. And as his will strengthened so did the intensity of the imagery before him. Now instead of that time at the beginning of their marriage he was standing before her, watching her in that moment where she sacrificed so much, both for him and for Tenchi.

This broken heart will mend

There amongst the violence and the desolation, stood his angel. Her beauty and her strength gleamed defiantly against the harshness of her surroundings. Denouncing KAIN and accepting her payment, she was his earthen phoenix in that moment, rising from the ashes of her own exhaustion and pain to focus her life's energy into that crystallized moment. Power and will centering down to the edge of a blade to be thrust into the beast before her.

He had known the reason for her high payment, had been forced to acknowledge it in that moment when they had been bound together for eternity. She would end this payment to destiny by the Masaki bloodline once and for all. She would spare her son and her son's son the pain of losing their heart's joy. For she had seen in that one moment before her path had been clear, she would not be there when Tenchi needed her the most and for that she would eternally feel regret.

Noboyuki had seen and understood her reasons, and could do nothing but agree with her, for his role in this entire situation was to accept the gift of her sacrifice and live on after her departure.

I hear her name and I have to cry

Again closing his eyes Noboyuki felt the tears threaten. He had managed to swallow the pain and was pushing the longing back into the deepest recesses of his heart when he felt the whisper of a caress on his cheek. The gentle brush of a thumb removed the wayward tear from his cheek. "Achika?" The name slipped unguarded from his lips. And with the name of his heart uttered, the tears flowed. Pain and loss bent the man to his knees. There in the dust, in the clearing of the courtyard before the shrine Noboyuki cried. Cried the tears he hid so many years ago when Tenchi had been a simple boy. Cried the tears he had denied for more years than he cared to admit.

The tears come down again.

Trying desperately to sob quietly Noboyuki allowed the pain and remorse to engulf him. Lamenting his heart's loss and the partial death of his soul. Finally he gave up. Gave up trying to hold in the pain, gave up trying to be silent and strong. Gave up to the raging pain that stabbed at his heart with the cruelest of blades. One hand falling to the ground below to hold his sobbing frame up, while the other covered his face, Noboyuki wept.

It happens all the time,

Noboyuki felt the same gentle caress that had started the crying, brush against his cheek again. This time the caress felt so real, felt so warm. He moved his hand to the cover the place where the caress had been, only to find the hand was real. The delicate fingers on his cheek real. Startled Noboyuki looked up, hope… blind, honest, loving hope filled his eyes as he looked up at the owner of the hand.

This crazy love of mine,

And as the owner was revealed Noboyuki felt the rush of tears again. Washu… had she been there the entire time? To exhausted from his tears and far too raw from emotion to hide his feelings Noboyuki stood. He had to smile faintly. Lifting a hand to caress the redhead's cheek for a moment he could have sworn he saw the glimmer of Achika in the emerald eyes. Swallowing the urge to kiss her, Noboyuki lowered his hand from Washu's face. She reminded him of his darling Achika sometimes. Sometimes… they were few and far in between, but sometimes the redheaded scientist would show her true heart and in those moments he could see the ghost of Achika in her eyes. Smiling down at Washu as he dusted himself off and wiped away the tears, Noboyuki tried to calm the woman's concerns.

Wraps around my heart,

It had taken nearly a full 12 minutes but finally the scientist relented, accepting his protests and moving about to complete her tasks. And with Washu gone Noboyuki looked up at the sky. He could feel her still. Deep within his heart and within his soul, her presence was still there. Real and tangible despite the years of separation Noboyuki had to smile. He would always love her…

… … … …Forever

Refusing to unwind.

Washu looked back with concerned eyes at Noboyuki. He had seemed so fragile in that moment of weakness. She had seen the ghostly ethereal form of Achika beside the bent man and had known, somehow just known that he was finally grieving his loss. And at the edge of the courtyard almost hiding within the growing shadows of twilight Washu watched as Achika's spirit tried to comfort her lamenting love. It had been a shock when the beautiful phantasm had lifted beseeching eyes to silently plead for her assistance. And Washu had unwillingly been drawn to the broken man.

Allowing the ghost to control her again, like she had so many other times, Washu closed her eyes and allowed Achika's spirit control of her body. It was moments later with Noboyuki smiling down at her that Washu came to her senses again, feeling the spirit's absence and Noboyuki's return to himself. Blinking a couple of times to clear her head and her vision, Washu questioned Noboyuki with the concern of a caring friend. Finally accepting his repeated assurance Washu returned to her lab, the unknown pull on her heart gone.

Count the stars in a summer sky,

Returning to her lab Washu took the long winding path down the stairs. Looking up at the now star sprinkled heavens Washu chuckled. Even now she couldn't understand her feeling for all the members within the family. But something was coming soon, and it would mean changes for everyone. Especially Ryoko and Tenchi.

That fall without a sound.

Shivering slightly Washu continued down the stairs. But stopped almost immediately after watching one falling star after another. A meteor shower? How odd? She hadn't been anticipating one. Refusing to deal with the ramifications of an unknown celestial anomaly, Washu continued to stare at the sky.

And then pretend that you can't hear

Washu stood captivated by the beauty of the night sky. Lost in the silence of the moment and the beauty of the heavens, Washu didn't even notice the tears that slipped unguarded down her cheeks. Slowly memories of a forgotten life in a forgotten time, on a forgotten world came to her, clear and crisp for the first time in millennia Washu saw the face of her husband and son so very darling to her. And as her son reached out his chubby, darling, little infant arms towards her, crying his longing to be in her arms Washu felt the sobs catch in her throat.

These teardrops coming down.

She reached out arms that would never be able to cross the gap. Not time, not distance, not even the will of the gods had been able to keep her from her son, but the will of man had. The cruel and petty vanities of man that made the distinction between one person and another, creating a class system that was not sent from the gods. Her memories shrouded her in sadness as she watched both her son and her husband be taken away under duress. Tears of sadness and longing wrenched themselves from her throat and drifted freely on the night breeze.

It happens all the time,

The pain was familiar. It came with every time she thought of that horrid moment in her life. The moment that had forever changed her to the person she was now. The scientist that had engineered a child that she could never lose, the lamenting heart of a mother desperately longing to love and needing the security that science could afford. And so with the single mindedness and the desperate intensity of a broken heart searching for its mend, she began the process of creating the perfect child. One that would be independent enough to survive on its own should anything happen to her. One that would and had learned to love in the darkest most tragically cruel of situations; one that could never be stolen from her by mere men, a child not to replace her lost one, but instead to allow her heart the needed outlet for all its pent up love.

This crazy love of mine,

And so with her promise made Washu created Ryoko. The love that had persevered her through the entire process engulfed her as Ryoko lifted her tiny arms to her mother for the first time. The child that Ryoko had been was the much-needed balm for Washu's shattered heart. It had not taken long for Ryoko to fill the entirety of her existence. Life was a three-ring circus and Washu loved every moment of it. Ryoko as a child was as fiercely independent as she was now as an adult. But still the need for a mother drew the child to Washu. And in the end Washu was always there for her Darling Little Ryoko.

Wraps around my heart,

Still staring up at the sky Washu could feel her love for Ryoko wrap around her heart and fill her soul. Taking comfort in the constant mental presence at the back of her mind Washu smiled faintly. She had lost one child to man, but to call Kagato simply a man was to greatly underrate his power. Kagato was no mere man and it hadn't taken long after Ryoko had blossomed from precocious child to awkward teen for his true intentions to the child to start making an appearance. Washu hung her head as tears of shame clenched her eyes shut.

She should have seen it, should have seen the gleam in his eyes and the way his touch make Ryoko shudder in fearful revulsion. But it had seem too inconceivable, too absurdly wrong to even ponder, so she had instead pushed her doubts and fears down to the furthest recesses of her mind. And when it was at last too late to retaliate, that was when he had attacked. Washu shook as memories refused to allow her the solace of forgetfulness.

Refusing to unwind.

The memories refused to uncoil from her mind. Wrapping her in their unrelenting rush. That night, that horrible, hideous, god-awful night! The bastard, he had stolen her that night. In a cacophonous jumble of screams and tears he had stolen away her perfect child and entombed her in that crystal, forever capable of seeing through his eyes the horrors he had her commit and the atrocities he committed to her. He had beaten her darling daughter. Beaten her repeatedly to the point of death. But always she came back from the brink, cheating death and returning to the pain of her life at his mercy.

It was in those moments when Ryoko was alone and lamenting the pain of her life in the silence of her isolated room, it was in those lonely painfully desperate moments that Washu had wished she had never given those gems to her daughter. Without the gems Ryoko could die, without the gems her soul would be free from Kagato's grasp. Without the gems Ryoko was nothing but all that she was, a poor defenseless girl, trapped within a body far more powerful than she knew how to handle.

Tonight I'm going to break away,

But Washu had always known it was Ryoko's destiny to be so much more than Kagato's puppet and so in those moments when Ryoko's desolation was so great the adult-looking child would gouge at her wrists and throat trying to tear the hated gems from her body, in those moments Washu's consciousness would somehow slipped free from Kagato's prison and wrap phantasmal arms around the grieving child and whisper words of endearment and love into the broken child's ear.

Just you wait and see.

I'll never be imprisoned by

A faded memory.

Washu shook her head. She would not grieve that moment in her life. Not for Ryoko, not for herself. Those years were gone and nothing could bring them back, nothing at all. And it was that dousing real thought that sobered Washu from her tears. She refused to allow the past to trap her into immobility. She could not fix those lost years under the cruel reign of Kagato but she could mend the damage as best she could.

Determination raised the ruby-headed woman's chin and set her course directly to the lab. There she headed straight for her daughter. Looking down on her precious child Washu smiled gently. Her darling Ryoko. She would never know just how much she meant to her mother. But then that was as it should be; children should never feel the burden of their parents' adoration. Washu reached out a hand to her daughter and caressed her hair. Smoothing the silken strands away from the beautiful face of her precious daughter Washu felt her love wind around her heart again. Leaning down Washu kissed her sleeping daughter's forehead. Yes, she would make all of this better even if that meant giving up her very soul.

It happens all the time,

Ayeka sat by the window in her bedroom. The tears had almost by magic subsided. She felt numb, the pain and revelations of the day too close, too real for her to comprehend them fully. But in the end, none of her concerns and fears had mattered. She loved him and that was all that mattered, she loved him enough to let him go and enough to be happy for him in his joys. And like it had every moment before, the simply thought of Tenchi was enough to cause the tears again.

This crazy love of mine,

"I love you, so very much… My Tenchi." Ayeka whispered to the night sky. Just this once allowing the name she so longed to call him by slip from her lips. She had to call him that, just once… just once before letting go forever. Feeling pain and love wrap around her heart in synchronous battle, Ayeka closed her eyes and allowed one last fantasy a heartbeat's moment of life. The fantasy of her and Tenchi together and happily married. At the background of the fantasy was her greatest friend and sister-wife Ryoko.

Wraps around my heart,

But then reality grabbed her as the night wind carried the scent of purpose and determination to her lonesome soul. No, that was not the life that Tenchi wanted and that was not the way he knew how to live. That and to live the life of a sister-wife would slowly destroy Ryoko. Her devotion to Tenchi and her love for the friend she had found in Ayeka would slowly eat at her sanity. To not be the only one in Tenchi's heart and to have to share the only person in hers would gradually devastate Ryoko. No, not just for her love for Tenchi, but her love for Ryoko wrapped itself around Ayeka and consoled her in her decision.

Refusing to unwind.

No, this was the only choice. There was not compromise when neither Tenchi nor Ryoko were capable of that kind of life. To ask them to do so would be monstrously selfish of her. And as Ayeka allowed the blossoming comforts that such as sacrifice for the ones she loved gave her, she had to chuckle. Soon Tenchi and Ryoko would have little demon children of their own. And who better than their loving Auntie Ayeka to give the children soo much sugar that they became intolerable. Oh yes, she would exact her revenge, in the most loving and cruel way possible.

And with that slight chuckle, Ayeka felt the tight coils of pain and grief loosen. Startled for just a moment, Ayeka looked back to the night sky and saw a falling star. And with all the hope and promise that such a celestial gift offered Ayeka's heart flew. Somehow, the heavens had promised her that her love was coming. And somehow she had known what the message had meant. Smiling up at the sky and feeling a slight sense of anticipation Ayeka felt the faints stirrings of the shackles of loss begin to unwind from her heart. Soon, very soon she would be free from the pain. Soon she would break away from the loss of Tenchi. And when that moment came she would be ready. Ready for what the heavens had promised her in the twinkling of the falling stars.

Nodding her head as she turned to go to sleep, Ayeka whispered as she prepared for bed. "I vow to break from this pain. From this mantle of desolation. Just allow me a little more time to grieve and then, I promise with all that I am, I will be ready to love again."

Tonight I'm going to break away….