Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Lyrics to a Love Story ❯ Against All odds ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pre chapter rant: Okay so I got them together, so I stopped torturing right? HECK NO!!! Muwhahahahaha!!!! I'm having way too much fun with this angst stuff. Angst party tonight and everyone's invited!!!! Everyone but the cabbit. I refuse to do an angst-ridden story about a cabbit and her carrot. Although now that I think about it, it does sound interesting…. Hmm… Although I think after all this angst I'm going to be writing some seriously happy chapters in my other stories. I can't take it any more.

Against all odds

The family had been silent as they all watched Ryoko emerge from the lab. Everyone had been certain she had been asleep, even Washu had decided to leave the grieving woman to rest. Tenchi had left. The ship had lifted off the ground with a silent roar and a vortex of air. And now the entire family was riveted to her, watching her and hoping that the sight of Tenchi leaving wouldn't break her. She was so fragile now.

Yosho watched the pirate slowly emerge from behind the closet door and dazedly stumble towards the back door. And for a moment he could feel her desolation. The pain and longing in her eyes wrenching at his heart. Her glorious bullion eyes were now a remarkably pale shade of marigold yellow. He had never, not once in his entire life, seen eyes that were so expressive. Their color and depth broadcasting the pain and heartache of the beautiful woman that saw life through their golden hues.

How can I just let you walk away,

With muscles weak from exhaustion and fatigue, Ryoko staggered her way from the closet to the deck, only to see Tenchi's ship leave. Her eyes lifted with the hull of the ship as the pain grew again. Why was he leaving so early? The royal escorts would not be arriving for at least another few months. He was leaving… Looking up at the rapidly disappearing ship tears leapt to her eyes. He was leaving and she had just let him.

Just let you leave without a trace.

She had been sleeping peacefully, having that horridly hideous dreadful dream, the one with Kagato. And then he had been there, her savior, her knight in shining armor. Tenchi… the only man she would ever love, he had been there. He saved her and then he held her. And lost deep within the radiance of her dream she had heard him tell her he loved her. True it had just been a dream, but the words and the caress had felt so real. So very real…

When I stand here taking every breath with you,

She had felt his love for her like a glorious shield wrapping around her and protecting her from the cruelty outside his arms. They had stood so close in that dream. His breath had ruffled her hair and his heartbeat was keeping time to hers. It had all been so real, he had felt so real. The love in his eyes and the gentleness of his touch had all felt more real than anything she had ever felt before. And now here she stood with tears in her eyes, alone again. Left behind once more…

Who was there for her now? Yes, Washu loves me… but then Washu has always loved me. The rest of the family? They all love me also. But now, without Tenchi? What do I do? I thought I could handle this… accept the pain of being left behind, but not after that dream, not after feeling that way. No, all this pain would have been okay, if not for that damn dream! That damn dream gave new hope! And hope is just too expensive!

You're the only one, who really knew me at all.

Ryoko did her best to stop the tears. Sniffling quietly and rubbing at her eyes, she tried to hide her pain from the eyes of her family. But her heart would not stop breaking. The tears would not stop flowing. He had been her first true friend. He had been the first to work beneath the armor and into the loving heart below. He had been the first person she had learned to love after Kagato. He knew her, he knew everything about her. Deep down, in his heart of hearts, she knew, he knew her. Her soul called to his, she could feel him, his thoughts and his emotions. She knew everything about him except what truly laid in his heart.

How can you just walk away from me?

And now she was losing him, truly losing him. To that princess! Ryoko's eyes narrowed in spiteful rage as her thoughts focused blame on Ayeka. That stuck-up, prissy, bitchy, purple-headed banshee! I'm losing Tenchi to her!! To that pamper, precious, bratty………beautiful, caring, loving, gentle, graceful, charming, delicate, feminine princess. Rage turned to a saddened acceptance. A true princess…A woman as delicately fragile as she is beautiful… I could never be like that. I'm not feminine…I'm not fragile…I'm not anything that she is………Ryoko's eyes filled with tears again as she smiled remorsefully first at the princess then at the sky were here sensitive eyes could still make out the faint glimmer of the ship.

When all I can do is just watch you leave?

No, I'm just a monster… and he deserves more than what I am. No, he deserves the princess and all that her love and power can give him. He deserves……… The thought clenched her throat and tore her heart. Tearing her eyes from the last glimmers of the ship and turning with blinding speed Ryoko raced back to her haven deep within the sanctuary of Washu's lab.

Cause we shared the laughter and the pain,

And from within her darkened sanctuary deep within Washu's lab, Ryoko cried. The dream had meant so much to her. To at last hear the words she had for so very long desperately desired to hear. Memories surrounded her and tormented her. Half touches and almost embraces reminded her of how close she was to his heart, so close and yet so very far away. Smiles and gentle brushes of hand against hand… all were treasured moments that she would carry with her forever. Through everything they had been through, her tears were always at the background of each moment. Hidden behind a façade of strength Ryoko's heart fractured with every passing glimpse of memory.

We've even shared the tears.

Her journey through the lab came to an abrupt end as the tears came fast and hard. Sobbing loudly and uncontrollably Ryoko stood within the darkness of the lab. Frightened by the dark and chilled by the cold, fear combined with sadness to force the proud woman to her knees. And there, entombed within the depths of the lab, bent and seemingly broken Ryoko knelt, crying her pain and her fear to the cold silence of the lab. The almost unbearable pain of broken hope and shattered dreams taking their costly toll on her disintegrated and devastated heart.

You're the only one who really knew me at all.

If Tenchi had been there he would save her. Save her from the coldness and from the darkness, from the endless silence. He knew her fears. He knew her heart. And he would save her. Save her from this unending pain lodged deep within her chest.

So take a look at me now,

Finally unable to contain the pain tearing at her heart any longer, Ryoko lifted her head and screamed. She screamed for her life, her pain, the years stolen by Kagato, the happiness lost, the mother she had lost. She screamed for all that she had lost and all that had been stolen from her. She screamed with a voice hoarse and sore from days of crying. And finally when her voice gave out she gasped for air then forced another scream past her aching vocal cords. This one for the pain of her soul, the pain of her broken heart, the pain of Tenchi's departure.

There's just an empty space.

The void within her that had been filled with love for Tenchi was tearing at her soul. She felt hollow and empty. And as finally her voice gave out for the last time, Ryoko slumped to the floor and cried silent tears of pain and despair. The heartbreak was becoming overwhelming. What did she have left? Now that he was gone and would be married to the princess? What was left for someone as retched and unwanted as she?

And there's nothing left to remind me,

She had nothing to remind her of Tenchi once he was gone. No presents, no gifts, nothing. True, she had received presents and gifts on the token holidays and on her birthday, but those weren't real presents. They were still gifts from the heart but they were not meant as anything more than from one friend to another. No, she had no touching mementos of Tenchi's love. Nothing to remind her of his love…

Just the memory of your face.

Pictures, millions of pictures; she had mountains of pictures and other digital or photographic reminders of him. She had her own memories, which were lush and vivid. And should photographs or memories fail her there was still her dreams. Dreams of her locked in his embrace. But in the end that was all that she had left, just memories and dreams. And memories were empty without fresh ones to take their place. And dreams were hollow without a foundation in reality. To lose herself in half-truth memories and false dreams was so tempting right now. To just lose herself to her dreams and fantasies. To just stop feeling.

Take a look at me now,

From her prone position on the floor, Ryoko lifted her head. I wish you could see me now Tenchi. See what you've done to me. See how much you've hurt me. See what you've left me with. See how much I love you. She wanted just one more chance to see him. For him to see what the loss of his love was doing to her. She wanted him to know how much she loved him. How much he meant to her. How much his absence pained her, creating this gaping wound in her life and heart. She wanted him to see her, to see the tears and the pain, to see her soul. For once for him to see everything that she hid, everything that she denied, everything that made her the person she was. She wanted him to see her love.

There's just an empty space.

Maybe if he could see how much she loved him, he could learn to love her in return? She could be happy with being his second wife. She could learn to be happy with a part of his heart, if only to be in his heart. She could learn to swallow her pride and accept a portion of him. She could learn to accept forever being second in his heart. Just so long as she was in his heart. She could accept being second after Ayeka; she could accept any situation he would ask of her, so long as she was with him. She would accept it. She would accept anything.

And you coming back to me, is against the odds.

There was little hope of him turning around and declaring his love for her. No, there was no hope of that happening. Ryoko sniffled trying to summon her courage as the realization of the desolation of her situation shrouded her. For Tenchi to come back for her would be against everything logical or sane. He would be denouncing Jurai and forsaking Ayeka. No, he would not and could not come back to her.

And that's what I've got to face.

Ryoko lifted herself to her feet and slowly staggered tearfully to the room where she planned on hiding from the rest of the world. With time she could learn to accept the pain of rejections, even the pain of being left behind. But she could not do all those things in front of her family. No, she needed to be alone in order to handle the pain of his departure.

Struggling Ryoko heaved her suddenly heavy body onto the bed. Flopping back she looked up at the black ceiling, eyes staring blankly forward, unseeing and tear-filled. Gasping for breath between sobs Ryoko could only muster the strength to lift one hand to her face to wipe away the recent flow of tears.

Then with what little strength she found buried deep within herself. She hoisted her body further onto the bed. Now only her feet dangled over the edge. Settling back to lie diagonally across the bed Ryoko allowed the sorrow to engulf her. Finally as the strain of the tears finally took their toll on her, Ryoko gave into her exhaustion and hid within her dreams.

I wish I could just make you turn around,

From within her dream Ryoko watched as Tenchi walked away. Walked away from her love and devotion. Walked away from all that she offered and accepted the princess and all that her title and position could offer. And from within her dreams Ryoko cried. Where the last dream had set her heart soaring with joy, this dream shattered her hopes. And from within her dreams Ryoko screamed for Tenchi. Screamed for him to turn around, to face her, to at least explain to her why.

Turn around and see me cry.

She wanted him to turn around, turn around and see the torment and pain he was causing her. Turn around and see how much she loved him. All the words that she longed to say to him just one more time, lodged firmly in her throat. Her tears flowing in diamond like trails down her flawless cheeks. Tears of pain and regret… Regret for not telling him just one last time how much she loved him. And from deep within that torturous dreamscape Tenchi disappeared into the ethers with the princess at his side, walking determinedly and deliberately away from Ryoko's cries and pleas.

There's so much I need to say to you,

And now it was too late. He was gone. All that she wanted to say… needed to say to him was to remain forever locked within her throat. The last opportunity to tell him of her love was gone. Squandered on exhaustion induce sleep. She had been asleep when he had left and now, she would never have the opportunity again.

So many reasons why.

She would never have the chance to tell him why she loved him. Never be able to explain to him how much he truly meant to her. No, now she was forever bound to her misery, without so much as one last heart-consoling opportunity to say goodbye. Nothing but the endless silence of friendship and unrequited love, to forever live the damning life forever just outside of the circle of his loving arms.

You're the only one who really knew me at all.

Tenchi… he was the only one. The only one she could ever love like this. The only one that was the living embodiment of the secret longing deep within her heart of hearts. The only one, beyond her mother and Ryo-ohki, ever to see beyond the carefree mask to the broken heart beneath. He had been the only one that had looked at her as nothing more than just another person. Nothing more than the person she was. Not a long lost daughter, not a murderous heathen, not an unfortunate soul to be pitied, but instead as herself. Nothing more than simply Ryoko.

So take a look at me now,

But now that was over. That was all over, he was gone now. Gone to possibly never return to her unmarried. All my life Tenchi, I knew you were there for me. I knew I had to survive Kagato, I had to survive the cave, I had to survive everything because I knew you were there. You were supposed to be with me. Why Tenchi? Why?

There's just an empty space.

Hollow, she felt hollow and dead. Why should she even bother living? He was gone now. Her sole reason for having existed through all the hell she had lived through, was gone. And now she was left with nothing. Nothing but the gaping whole in her life that sucked the joy and pleasure out of living. Nothing could fill the void. Nothing but Tenchi.

And there's nothing left to remind me,

Just the memory of your face.

Had he even left her anything to console her in his absence? Had he even left her with a few words of consolation or comfort to tide her through the upcoming devastation that his departure would cause? Nothing… he had left her nothing but her slaughtered emotions and splintered heart. That and her memories. Her hideously vivid memories. Disgusting, painfully crystalline clear memories. Memories of him. Memories of his face. Memories of his voice. Memories of his touch. Memories of her love.

Now take a look at me,

Cause there's just an empty space.

She wanted him to see her, see this vacant empty space within her heart, the void caused by his absence, the hole left without his presence, the darkness of her life without his light to fill it. She couldn't stand it any more, all the pain and the suffering that his desertion and his disregard had caused. She wanted him to see all that he meant to her. See all that she was willing to forsake for him. Her love, her pride, her very life, just for one moment to be the one he loved.

But to wait for you is all I can do,

And that's what I've got to face.

But in the end what did she have left to her? A few memories of him? A handful of precious, cherished memories that would mean nothing to him, but would bolster her through this and the rest of her seemingly eternal life. Maybe if he were to go to Jurai and come back, maybe if he saw what he meant to her? Maybe if he could see just how much she truly loved him, maybe then he would love her? Learn to love her just a fraction of how she loved him? Gods, she wasn't asking for his whole heart. No, she was no longer selfish enough to ask for that. She could content herself with a portion of his heart. A tiny portion of the whole was all she asked.

That tiny portion would heal all her emotional wounds and vanquish her demons of doubt. If sharing just an infinitesimal fraction of his heart with Ayeka was the answer to being in his life, then she would survive. She would content herself with that. Silently yet tearfully accepting her now partial role in Tenchi's life, Ryoko fell into a restless yet mercifully dreamless sleep.

And slowly throughout the course of the next seven days, one by one family members filtered into the quiet room sequestered behind thick smothering curtains. And one by one, they looked down at the tragically tearful soul resting in tormented sleep. Not even within the restful arms of oblivion did she find a respite from the pain. And again, one by one, their hearts cried in sympathy for the lamenting pirate. Yosho and Noboyuki took turns with Washu in guarding the crying woman.

Noboyuki felt torn. His heart going out to the poor girl before him, there she laid, his son's darling angel. The woman that meant as much to his son as his darling Achika had meant to him, the darling girl cried herself to sleep night after night. Of all the girls that had come to live with him, Ryoko was the one that had captured his heart before any of the others.

Some part of him had learned to love the vibrant and jubilant girl beneath the gruff exterior. It hadn't take long for Noboyuki to fall in love with Ryoko, and now he felt the love of a father for his precious daughter as he gazed down at her. Lifting a shaking hand to her face, he gently pushed aside the hairs that were falling into her face. And looking down at her he felt his heart swell with pride.

Soon Tenchi would marry her and she truly would be his daughter, and then he could share his heart and his feelings for her. But for now, he would be here for her. At the sad whimper that escaped Ryoko's lips Noboyuki frowned. How could he stop her pain? Feeling torn between instinct and formality Noboyuki squelched the urge to hold the trembling woman before him. It wasn't until Washu groggily emerged that Noboyuki turned his eyes from Ryoko's face.

And when Noboyuki's eyes met Washu's his breath caught in his throat. He could have sworn he saw the ghost of Achika within the loving eyes of Washu. The same exact look of longing and love that Achika had gazed at him with so many years ago, had been present in the red-head's emerald eyes. Unable to blink, move or breathe Noboyuki was frozen in place.

As Washu entered the bedroom where Ryoko laid in tearful slumber, she had felt the familiar fingers of another's consciousness enter her soul. And when she fully entered the hidden room and emerged from the curtains Washu could only gasp as her heart lurched within her chest. There on the bed was her daughter, and a man that in any stranger would have assumed was her father from the man's actions.

Up until that moment Washu had always assumed the rest of the family felt fond of Ryoko, but never truly loved her as a family member. But now with Noboyuki looking so longingly at Ryoko, it was obvious from the strained look on his face that he had remained awake the entire time. Remaining at Ryoko's side despite his need to sleep and eat, Noboyuki only turned to look at her when she was fully in the room.

And if she thought the sight of Noboyuki caring for Ryoko had been a surprise, the sight of his face when he looked at her had stolen her heart. Before her sat a man… but not just any man… no, this man was the merger of her long lost darling husband and the wonderful, loving, tender Noboyuki that Achika had fallen so deeply in love with. And with a firm shake of her head to clear her vision, Washu hoped her eyes would return to normal. But instead of removing the merged image instead the image shifted. Washu no longer saw her husband, but saw something that her heart longed for with even more hope.

Instead she saw Noboyuki, as he was today, through the eyes of Achika. And as slowly the soul of Achika began to permeate every corner of hers, Washu could only stare with love and longing in her eyes at the man that suddenly meant as much to her as her daughter. Hoping to resolve herself again Washu closed her eyes. But instead of seeing darkness she saw Achika standing before her. With eyes desperate and pleading the beautiful woman stared at her with eyes beseeching acceptance.

And with her eyes still closed Washu listened as Achika spoke her request. "Lady Washu, I must ask you a favor of you that will be greater than anything you have ever done before or will ever do again in your life." Washu could only nod. "As you know I gave a portion of my life to chose my own fate, another portion of my life was given to free Ryoko, or whomever Tenchi chose, from having to make the greatest sacrifice for love." Again all Washu did was nod. "I was unable to wholly remove the cost from Tenchi's loved one or from his children's loved ones. But together you and I can remove that payment. Together you and I can destroy Destiny's enforcer and free our children and our grandchildren from the cruelty of the sacrifice."

Once again all Washu could do was nod. "I ask nothing of you, but to consider this. Ryoko's sacrifice for Tenchi will have to be great. Greater than anyone before her, greater than mine, Ryoko's sacrifice could potentially kill her." Those words jarred Washu for a moment and she was ready to open her eyes when Achika raced to explain a solution. "No, wait. Lady Washu there is a resolution to this that can stop the payment for all time. But for this you must be willing to sacrifice for your daughter."

Washu felt the sting of tears in her eyes. For Ryoko she would give her life, her precious daughter deserved any opportunity that could be offered to find happiness. Nodding her head for Achika to continue Washu prepared herself to accept whatever Achika proposed. "We must merge." Achika's voice trembled slightly as those three short words were spoken.

Washu's eyes did fly open at that. Then after having calmed herself Washu closed her eyes. Washu watched as gentle tears traced ghostly tracks down Achika's face. Opening her mouth Washu spoke for the first and nearly her last time to the phantasm before her closed eyes. "Continue."

Achika released a sigh and summoned her courage. "For Tenchi and Ryoko to defeat KAIN it will require much more power than either is currently capable of. I'm certain that in time Tenchi could destroy KAIN alone, but as of yet his powers are still deeply suppressed. And Ryoko still has not learned to truly control her powers, she would do more harm to herself, were she to try and wield the amount of power necessary to destroy KAIN. So it will take their powers in conjunction with ours combined, my father Yosho's, and Ayeka's to destroy KAIN."

As Washu began to question about Sasami, Achika cut her off with the answer to the question. "Sasami cannot help us for she is merged with Tsunami. And Tsunami is bound by the laws of the Cosmos to not interfere or assist in any form. So it is up to all of us to save them from their sacrifice. Father will help for he understands what Tenchi's price will be. Ayeka will help for she loves both Tenchi and Ryoko and would give her own life for their happiness. The only person left is you."

At Washu's questioning look of doubt Achika continued to speak. "We must merge. Your powers are not Juraian in nature and resonate in such a way that instead of helping it would sap Ryoko of more life than the original demand of Destiny. So, were you to help as you are, you would kill your daughter." As Washu opened her mouth for another question Achika answered that one as well. "Ryoko will have her soul bound to Tenchi by then, her powers will at least in part become Juraian in nature. Where as yours being so different from those of Jurai in nature would resonate with Ryoko's and slowly sap her dry. For that is how the process works. The ritual was designed so should an outside force try and intervene, as long as it resonated with the non-Juraian energy source it would kill."

"We need your powers to help them, but we need your powers to be at least partially Juraian in nature, so the only way to accomplish that is to merge with me. It is the only way. I was allowed to come to you for this sole purpose. While Tsunami cannot intervene or assist she can explain. And it has been after several generations of machinations that Tsunami has arrived at Tenchi. He means too much to her and is far too valuable to the will of Gods for him to be sacrificed, and yet the sacrificed must be made and if not by him then by his chosen. Would you allow Ryoko to die now that she is so close to having her dreams fulfilled?"

With tears in her eyes Washu opened her eyes and looked down on her daughter. Ryoko was so close to her dreams of being with Tenchi. She could not allow her daughter to lose that dream just to satisfy Destiny's demands. May the Gods be damned she was not losing another child. And with her mind made, Washu lifted her eyes to Noboyuki. And deep within her heart Washu felt new feelings rise to the surface, feelings of love and longing, lust and adoration. Achika's feeling, which once the merger was completed, would be her feelings as well.

Closing her eyes once more, Washu looked at Achika and spoke again. "Yes." The word rang with a finality she hadn't expected. And with the word spoken Achika approached. Slowly as if afraid to frighten Washu away Achika closed the distance between the two. And when at last Achika stood before the trembling scientist, she lifted her arms and wrapped them around the shaking woman locking her in a loving embrace.

And with a kiss to Washu cheek the air around the woman began to glint with a ghostly ethereal light. Slowly Washu's outward appearance transformed, her hair darkened from its vibrant red to a deep burgundy losing its spiky appearance and gaining a softer gentle cascade. Her previously highly voluptuous form diminished slightly. But her glorious emerald eyes partially remained. The green refused to combine fully with brown, so instead shards of both colors with faint fragmented hints of gold coalesced to form a new more startling color. And when at last the merger was nearly complete Achika's now faint image turned its lips to Washu's ear and whispered its last words. "We are now one…" Then disappeared forever within the woman that remained.

And with new eyes Washu turned to look upon the two singularly most important people in her life. The man that was the love of her life, and her darling daughter. Smiling faintly Washu approached Noboyuki. Lifting a gentle hand to his face, Washu closed her eyes as memories suffused her. Memories of love, of nights wrapped in his arms, of smiles and gentle caresses.

Memory after memory surrounded her and for a moment completely inundated her. The wash of memories was overwhelming. She relived Achika's entire life. And when at last she opened her eyes again, she was more. More than the daughter or Yosho, more than the scientist known as Washu. The two souls combined to create an entirely new soul and this new soul was more. More powerful than either woman could have imagined and more loving than either woman was by herself. This new soul was simply more.

Opening her eyes again Washu looked down at Noboyuki as felt all the words she wanted to say, needed to say, lock deep within her throat. But as she felt the tears of frustration threaten, Noboyuki rose. Standing there before her, he lifted his hand to caress her cheek. And Washu couldn't help herself as she pressed her face into the palm of his hand. So lost in this single gentle touch was she, that she never noticed Noboyuki's head lower.

And when at last his lips were mere millimeters from hers, she looked up into his eyes. Her heart pounding wildly in her chest and feeling light headed Washu lifted herself those few millimeters to press her lips to his. And as his lips touched hers, she felt it. That thin ribbon within her new soul that was a part of his. And he must have felt it as well, for his eyes widened and his lips stilled. Then he pulled away, uncertainty and pain flashing in his solemn eyes.

"Wh…who…who are you?" Noboyuki stammered. He had felt the same kissing Washu as he had when he kissed Achika. Was it possible that he had fallen in love with Washu? Was it possible he had deserted his darling Achika? He had felt that pull from within his heart, deep within his soul when his lips had touched hers. He had felt it and had wanted more.

Washu wrapped her arms around his neck as she refused to let him go. Oh no you don't. I've lived for far too long without the feel of your touch big boy. You're not getting away that easily. For a moment Washu was baffled by the feelings, that wasn't how Achika thought. Shaking her head Washu silently chuckled to herself. No, that wasn't how Achika thought, but that was how the new Achika/Washu thought. There was no longer distinction between the two. Again Washu shook her head. It was going to take some getting use to… this whole merging thing. She was no longer simply Washu, nor was she Achika. But what did she call herself?

Deciding that Washu was still more than appropriate, Washu solved the first riddle of her new life. Returning her attention to Noboyuki, Washu lifted her smiling face to his and with a chuckle in her voice began to speak. "I'm partially who you think I am…" Washu's eyes went wide with shock as she heard her new voice for the first time. It had changed as well, and now she sounded like Achika. Nodding her head, Washu accepted the change. So Washu had insisted on having green eyes, and now she understood why Achika had been so willing to allow such a decree. Washu had to chuckle to herself. Very sneaky Achika, very sneaky. Oh well, as long as I still have my bond with Ryoko and she still accepts me I don't care.

While Washu was evaluating her new voice, Noboyuki was trying to contain his excitement. If what he thought happened had happened then his life was about to be a lot less lonely. Noboyuki waited as patiently as possible, slowly wrapping his arms around the waist of the woman before him.

And when at last Washu returned her attention to him and lifted her eyes to his, he knew. He knew that particular shade of brown that was flecked throughout her eyes. He knew that lilting voice. He knew the curves that were pressed against his body. He knew the familiar cascade of the now burgundy hair. He knew all the signs and he didn't care how it had happened. Somehow, someway his darling Achika had returned. Maybe not completely, maybe not forever but she was here, with him… in his arms… smiling up at him with that same exact smile he had learned to love so many years ago.

"Noboyuki…" Washu croaked out trying to accustom herself to the new voice. "Noboyuki, I must explain what has happened…." But before Washu could speak another word Noboyuki was kissing her. Kissing her with the passion of years left alone. Kissing her with the love of a man that had found his one true love again. Kissing her with all his heart.

And Washu was ecstatic. Her heart was soaring, the love that was Achika's for Noboyuki was now hers. Her soul could feel his, cried out for his, and longed for his. This was a love greater than any she had experienced before. Never before had she felt such need for a man, such longing, and such desire. Not even her husband had awoken such a pure love within her, not once.

If this was true romantic love, then she had never known it before. And in more than one way Washu thanked all that was holy that what she had, had for her husband was nothing compare to the tidal wave of emotion she felt now. Had she felt then what she felt now, she would have never survived long enough to create Ryoko. And without Ryoko there would have been no purpose of living.

But those were those best left for later, right at that moment the only coherent thought that was passing through Washu's mind was how much she had missed his touch. It had been Noboyuki that had broken the kiss at last. The pair stood there, locked tightly within each other's embrace foreheads touching and eyes closed.

Noboyuki could only sigh, his soul felt whole again. Before him locked tightly within his embrace was the woman that held that tiny ribbon of his soul. "Are you real?" He couldn't help ask. His heart couldn't believe the reality within his arms.

"Yes, I'm real. Its me Washu." Washu's voice trembled she was terrified to admit to Noboyuki she wasn't Achika. So she held her breath and waited with dread as she felt his arms slacken around her. He was going to pull away and she would lose the only man that her new soul had ever truly loved. Washu clenched her eyes tightly shut when she heard Noboyuki sigh. This was it, he was going to tell her he could love her, that his heart belonged to Achika only.

"No you're not. You're my love. You're my angel." Noboyuki whispered his forehead still resting against Washu's.

"No, I'm not. I'm still Washu. Its still me." Washu felt the tears stinging behind clenched eyes.

"Look at me. Look at me and tell me you're not my angel. Look me in the eyes and tell me you're not the other half of my soul." Noboyuki demanded. Opening his eyes he waited for Washu to open her eyes and look at him. And when slowly here hazel eyes opened he knew.

The woman before his was more than just his angel, more than just the scientist, more than the devoted mother to his son and more than the devoted mother to the cyan haired beauty on the bed behind him. She was his heaven and his earth, his beginning and his end. She was the summation of all his hopes and dreams for his future. He wrapped his arms tighter around her and waited for her to try and speak to him.

Washu looked up at him. And felt the words of denial die on her lips. She was Achika, at least a part of her was. A part of her was everything that had been the heart and soul of Achika. So with her voice trapped deep within her throat Washu could only nod faintly in acceptance of his love. She could not deny her heart, nor could she deny the truth. She was Achika, she was Washu, she was both and yet neither.

Noboyuki smiled. She loved him, she was his angel. No… more than his angel. She was his seraph, his darling guiding light for a brilliant future. The new feelings that had begun to stir in his heart each time he looked upon Washu merged with his love for Achika, creating a deeper bond than before.

Shaking his head lightly Noboyuki took a deep breath. "I love you. Whoever you are. I know you're not Achika, and I know you're not Washu, but something different. But whatever and whomever you are I love you. There's a part of my soul deep within you and I can feel a part of your soul deep within me. You are the other half of my soul. I lost the only woman I ever thought I could love due to death, I refuse to lose her again to my stupidity." With that Noboyuki gathered Washu in his embrace and kissed her again, trying desperately to express ever ounce of love and devotion that had been locked in his heart waiting for Achika.

And Washu melted. She melted into his kiss, her legs turned to jelly and her heart raced. With her pulse pounding in her ears and her head dizzy with euphoria, Washu only thought was to return the passionate kiss with all her might. And so she did. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you……… Over and over the words repeated like a sacred mantra within her heart and her mind.

It wasn't until Washu heard the reply of a definitely masculine voice within her own mind that the kiss ended. I know… Washu pulled away from the kiss, shock etched across her beautiful face. Lifting confused eyes to Noboyuki's face she watched as his eyes fluttered open and his lips curved into a gentle smile. Tenchi and Ryoko aren't the only ones with a bond, ya know… True their bond is pre-existing to the ritual, but still. We have one as well. Maybe not as strong, nor as deep but we have one nonetheless. That's how I knew. Knew you were the one. I've only had this bond with one other person. The only person to share a part of my soul.

Noboyuki nuzzled his head at the delicately tender junction of shoulder and neck leaving Washu gasping and struggling for coherent thought. You have to be at least partially the other half of my soul, because I can feel everything you feel. I can hear everything you think. And I can see everything you know. I love you for you are the completion of my soul that I thought I would never find until I died. But here you are… different and new, yet familiar and the same. My love, my heart, my heaven sent seraph… you mean the world and more to me.

Washu felt the tears threaten again. She was stealing the only man that Achika would ever love. She was stealing him and she didn't care. She wanted him. She wanted him with every fiber of her soul. She wanted him like Ryoko wanted Tenchi. And suddenly Ryoko's pain made all the more sense. To lose Noboyuki now would be like a death sentence for her soul. How could she give him up, when she couldn't even imagine life without him? With eyes full of tears Washu prepared to try and give Noboyuki up. After all he wasn't her soul mate, he was Achika's.

::Mom?::

::Little Ryoko? I thought you were asleep?::

::Who the hell can sleep with all this "I love you" racket going on?::

Washu actually blushed; she hadn't thought that Ryoko could pick up her conversations with Noboyuki. But apparently she could, just like she herself could pick up on Tenchi's mental conversations with himself through the link she shared with Ryoko. The mother in Washu winced at the idea of her daughter receiving broadcasted images of what she and Noboyuki were doing. Washu felt rather than saw the shiver of revulsion from her daughter.

::Ewww, Mom… I… you… can't… Don't ever mention that again. And I know we're gonna have to work something out here. You can't be with him and sending me wonderful real life images of, I shudder to imagine, you two bumping uglies. And all things considered with him I honestly think it would be bumping uglies.::

Washu felt outraged for a moment, how dare her daughter think that of her future father!

Ryoko held to the escape from her pain that this momentary mental tussle with her mother offered. She needed it. She needed the respite from her pain, needed the familiar feeling of joy she received from antagonizing her mother. She needed to feel like her old self again, if only to start to soothe the fears within her mother's heart.

::Hey, he ain't my dad yet! So you can just keep the whole righteously indignant thing under wraps, besides he heard me and he didn't say anything. As a matter of fact I think he's gonna use that saying sometime in the near future……… Anyways what I wanted to say before I got so distracted was that… You are Achika now, Mom. In a way a part of you has been for a long while now. I knew what was happening to you whenever you're eyes would lose that scientist glint to them.

Ryoko swallowed her pride, what she was about to admit to would possible destroy her relationship with her mother, or cemented the bond for eternity. I knew and I didn't care. I just wanted my Mommy. I know it was selfish, but I got my Mommy in the end and now I'm getting a Dad. I'll have a real family soon. Just like I always wanted.

Again swallowing her pride, Ryoko summoned the shreds of her heart to comfort her mother and possibly gain a stepfather. So please Mom, just this once take what fate has handed you and don't fight it. Who knows maybe its all for the best. And besides I like your new look, it suits you a lot better. You look like a mom to me now. I know I don't say this much but, I love you. And I want you to be happy. Please mom, no matter what you are, or what you do, I'll always love you.

And its just like you said with me after the whole Zero thing. There is no one else; you were once two, now you are one. She can't talk to you and tell you that she doesn't mind, because she is you, and you are her. Just as I am now more than I was before Zero, you are now more than you were before Achika. Please Mom, everything you ever wanted, a family and a love of your own are right her for the taking. They aren't Achika's anymore, she no longer exists. She is you and you are her, so please, accept all that her life has to offer, hell I'll even get a grandfather outta all this! Think he'll train me?::

Washu chuckled then shook her head; something's would never change. She's right you know… Achika is a part of you now, you can't ask for her approval anymore. All I can tell you is to look in your heart; if there are any doubts there then you will know what her decision would have been. Just know that I love you, I know it seems fast, I know it seems sudden. But I have been waiting and hoping for the other half of my soul to return to me since the day Achika died. And now that I have her back, I refuse to waste any more time.

Washu looked at him, looked deep in his eyes and felt his sincerity, felt the love, felt the devotion. Felt all the things that were there for the taking. Then she closed her eyes and searched her heart. And nowhere within her heart could she find the doubt that plagued her mind. No, she would listen to Ryoko and Noboyuki. She would take this new life that was offered her. And she would have the family she had always wanted. Opening her eyes, Washu again looked into Noboyuki's eyes and still the love remained.

Then with a sigh she turned her head to look down at her apparently slumbering daughter. Breaking out of Noboyuki's hold she lay down behind her daughter and wrapped her arms around her. Thank you, Little Ryoko. Thank you for loving me enough to make me see. Thank you so very much. Washu kissed the top of the cyan head that rested on the pillow before her. And much to her surprise she felt Noboyuki lie on the bed in front of Ryoko. And silently he wrapped his arms around both of them, mother and daughter. And with a look that spoke of more devotion than any words could explain Noboyuki let Washu know he would proudly accept the role of Ryoko's father.

It maybe too late for her to feel the true bond of father and daughter, but it was never too late for her to finally have the true family she deserved. I love you. I love you both. Then with that last thought shared between the trio; Ryoko cuddled further within the warmth of the embrace and love that surrounded her. Lost within her dreams of tearful reconciliation, Ryoko attempted to accept this new role. Maybe if she could not be in Tenchi's heart she could find something else… something better. But until then she would stay where she was at. Within the loving arms of Washu and Noboyuki, within the safe haven of warm and light. She was home, for once in her life she was truly home.

She meant it you know? She loves you too. She's always thought of you as the father she never had. Washu's voice quietly whispered within Noboyuki's mind.

Shhhh………she's sleeping, you'll wake her. Noboyuki replied. His gentle smile and warm embrace shielding both mother and daughter from the cares and perils of the outside world. And there within that hidden bedroom deep with Washu's lab, a new family rested, both parents comforting their tearful and heartbroken child.

***

And from outside the room hiding behind the darkness of the entrance, Yosho watched and smiled. My Achika has returned, and now Ryoko has the family she deserves. All is as it should be. Hmm who would have thought, I would have become Ryoko's grandfather through any other method besides marriage. Now this is interesting. Itsuki did you know about this all along? Is that why you were so sure of a happy ending for us all? Shaking his head Yosho left the new family and prepared for Tenchi's return.

***

Ayeka watched with brows furrowed as Yosho emerged from Washu's lab. It had only been seven days and everyone in the family was worried sick over Ryoko. No one was worried about her, but poor tragic Ryoko? No everyone was worried about that woman. Shaking her head Ayeka couldn't bring herself to resent Ryoko. She herself was worried about the sullen and withdrawn pirate. Ryoko had retreated furthered into herself than before, and Ayeka hadn't thought that was even remotely possible. But apparently it was, because now even Yosho was taking turns with Washu and Noboyuki to guard the tearfully lamenting pirate.

Ayeka looked around and after seeing that no one was around to observe her, she went to make her own observation on the once rival turned friend. Entering the lab and silently walking to the hidden room, Ayeka quietly entered. And held her breath at what she saw. There before her was Tenchi's father and a woman that seemed faintly like Achika. Both had their arms wrapped around Ryoko and tears were still making tracks down her cheeks despite the fact that the quietly snoring beauty was asleep.

Not even in her dreams does she receive a shred of sanctuary from her pain? And a new family is born? Why has Washu changed her hair? The color seems so familiar? Oh well, never mind, I am more than certain that in the light of day all things shall be explained as is the way with all things within this family. Smiling at the closely bonded trio on the bed Ayeka turned and quietly left the way she had entered. On her way out, Ayeka noticed, while glancing at the digital clock on one of Washu's many machines, Ryo-ohki and Sasami entering most probably for the same reason as she had entered more than an hour ago. Have I really been here an hour staring at the trio? I must go…something tells me this is all far from over and I must be prepared for when Lord Tenchi returns… I must be prepared to let go… But why must I? A quiet voice from the depths of Ayeka's heart issued the faint question and as she watched girl and cabbit disappear into the depths of the lab she felt the longing and pain stir again within the tight walls of her heart. Shaking the questions from her mind Ayeka smiled and nodded at the duo as she left the lab.

Sasami entered the same tiny room at the back of the lab that her sister Ayeka had exited. With eyes that saw more with a goddess's sight than that of the teen, Sasami smiled. Finally Washu had the family she deserved. A little late and mayhap a bit fragmented, but it was still the family that her darling sister so much longed for. And Tsunami could not blame her. In the end this had all been part of the plan. Destiny no longer controlled the fate of man; it was time that its enforcer be put to rest as well.

And so her greatest creation, Tenchi, would choose his own path. He would live up to his name and protect both Heaven and Earth. As the final stages of her merging with Tsunami loomed Sasami shared all but the earliest memories and most ancient of the goddess' powers, but that was a matter to be dealt with on another day. Smiling proudly at the trio on the bed Sasami felt the emotions of Tsunami overwhelm her again, proud to be related to the brave women resting on the bed, and proud to have been a part of their lives.

Tsunami had always been there, beside Ryoko during her trials with Kagato. Had been there to help her survive the pain and the heartache. Had been there with ghostly hands preventing the adolescent from tearing the life-giving jewels from her wrists and throat. Despite his viciousness, Kagato had served a purpose. Without his interference in their lives, neither Ryoko nor Yosho would have become the people they were.

Sighing faintly Sasami's smile became bittersweet, Ryoko had suffered so much at the hands of that monster, and now she would have to fight another monster for the right to live and love Tenchi. Sasami chuckled bitterly at herself. Here she was with all the powers of the Goddess Tsunami and still unable to help two of the most important people in her life.

With loving eyes Sasami watched as Ryoko stirred in her troubled sleep and whimpered Tenchi's name faintly. And for a moment the instincts of the Goddess took control. In a momentary flash of shimmering, brilliant blue light Tsunami moved to the tearful woman. Lifting her niece from between the arms of her new family, Tsunami carried her precious cargo away. And with the same soothing voice and gentle hands that she had used scores of years ago, Tsunami sang a soft lullaby to Ryoko. With one hand rubbing her back and the other massaging her temple Tsunami willed away Ryoko's heartache from the poor girl's tortured dreams.

The words of the lullaby that the goddess had sung to the child that Ryoko had been all those years ago now easily rolled off her tongue as she lost herself to the memories of that long ago time.

Sleep gently, my slumbering child

Dream calmly of your deepest desires

Find peace in that enchanted land

Far away from the cold night air.

Sleep gently, my darling child

Dream sweetly of your fondest wishes

Find joy wherever you can

Far away from the cold night air.

Sleep my darling, sleep deep sleep.

Sleep my angel, and know I'm watching.

Sleep my darling, dream away your cares

Leave your worries for others to bear.

Sleep gently, my slumbering child.

Know that I will always guide your way.

Dream restfully while I watch you close.

Find happiness in distant lands.

Far away from the cold night air.

Sleep gently, my darling child

Know now and always that I love you dearly.

Dream of better days that will come to you.

Find loving peace in the arms of hope.

Far away from the cold night air.

Sweet, sweet child. Sleep deep sleep.

Sleep my angel, and know I'm watching.

Sleep my darling, dream away your cares

Leave your worries for others to bear.

Sweet, sweet child. Sleep deep sleep.

And that was how the rest of the night was spent, with Tsunami comforting and singing to her niece that in so many more ways than just one was more than her niece. Tsunami would always look on Ryoko as her daughter. The daughter she was not allowed, the daughter she would never have, the daughter she always longed for. And so with the love of a mother, Tsunami wished away her daughter's pain and soothed away the sorrow. Tsunami felt the burning of tears, the tears of guilt and shame from actions thousands of years old. If she had simply done as she was requested, the creation of Prometheus would have been unnecessary. The machinations of destiny would have been undeserved. But instead Washu had done what had been necessary and now, her niece who should have been her daughter was suffering the consequences.

All those thousands upon thousands of years ago, that which created the heavens offered the soul of a child to Tsunami. And Tsunami had cared for that soul. Nurtured and loved, adored and cherished that tiny precious soul. Then one fateful moment, for there was no true sense of time in that realm in which gods existed, that which created the heavens took the tiny child-soul from Tsunami and offered her the chance to become all that the soul needed. It was time for the universe to be prepared for the soul and, thusly so, also the time for Tsunami to choose. Choose between becoming an immortal and be the mother of the child she had come to love, or to remain a goddess and to remain constantly just outside the fringes of the child's life.

And when the moment came to decide Tsunami could not bring herself to choose between her precious people of the planet Jurai and this tiny infant soul. And so with tears in her eyes and an almost insurmountable pain in her chest, Tsunami relinquished all claims to the infant soul, and instead watched as Washu was sent in her stead. And the moment Washu was set upon that lower plane of existence, the ripples in destiny and fate created a necessary opposing force. All the pain and all the sacrifice was necessary for the end result, for Ryoko to end up the same person she would have been had Tsunami stepped down instead.

All the death and destruction was part of the aftermath of that one simple hesitant decision made by Tsunami. Tsunami had been unable to defend her precious people against the child that was to have been hers. Had been unable to shield and protect them from the wrath of Kagato. And had been unable to stop Kagato from wielding Ryoko like a vicious weapon. And so when little Sasami had fallen, Tsunami had seen her chance. Her chance to rectify the situation and maybe, just maybe grow close to her darling child.

And as the hot tears of her shame fell down her cheeks and splashed with dew-like delicacy upon the face of her darling soul-child Tsunami cradled Ryoko and wept silently. There was no true way of knowing what might have been had she decided to step down from her position as goddess, but she had been assured by that which had created the heavens that nothing to the magnitude as what did occur would have happened.

All creatures from goddess to lowly ants have free will. The will to choose their own path. It is that will that forms life and dictates the paths of those that follow. It was of Tsunami's own free will that the decision was made that place Ryoko and all her loved ones in such peril now. And with that thought Tsunami could no longer sing, the throat tightening as more hot tears of shame and regret clouded her eyes and slipped down her cheeks.

And at last when Tsunami thought that she was incapable of any more tears, Ryoko stirred. Golden eyes fluttered open and gazed with confused awe at the tearful goddess before her. Then with a shaky hand, Ryoko caressed away the tears from Tsunami's face. And with eyes red and almost swollen from crying Ryoko looked at Tsunami with a hint of recognition beyond that of her current span of life.

"Mother?" Ryoko looked at Tsunami confused. A part of her heart told her that the goddess before her was in some way her mother. In some way the true mother that she had never felt Washu was. The true mother of her soul. The reason for her constant alienation of Washu. And with the voice of a timid child Ryoko questioned the stunned and tearful goddess. "Are you my real Mom?"

Tsunami looked at the bed to the slumbering Washu and then bit her lip. Could she betray her sister this way? Could she tell Ryoko, her darling Ryoko the truth? The entire truth? Could she dare to hope that Ryoko could learn to love her, not as Little Sasami, and not as the Goddess Tsunami but as a child to a mother?

Ryoko's eyes stared fiercely into Tsunami as if trying to discover the truth behind all that was hidden by the goddess. And there within her soul Ryoko saw the answer to her question. A time before memory, an instant before time. A mother and child embracing with nothing but the light of their love to hold them together against eternity.

And in that moment Ryoko suddenly understood what it was to feel loss. Not the loss of Tenchi's love nor the loss of her innocence hurt as much as the loss of her true mother. Tsunami had forsaken her, for the people and planet of Jurai. Had forsaken all that could have been and all that would never be. And yet… Ryoko could not blame the goddess. It had been a difficult decision to make and an even harder decision to live with. The repercussions of the decisions had devastated the goddess and Ryoko could not bring herself to hurt the loving goddess before her.

With yet another push from her broken heart, Ryoko temporarily mended the fractured shards and thought of a way to resolve Tsunami's pain and guilt. With tears in her eyes and a wavering small smile on her face, Ryoko looked up at Tsunami. "I guess this means I've got another mom, doesn't it?"

For a moment Tsunami didn't register the full meaning of the words. Then as realization dawned on her, she cried. Cried and held Ryoko to her fiercely. Tears of joy and relief covered the tracks of their shameful predecessors. Tsunami cried, and cried and cried. The pain in her heart that had been there since the moment she returned that infant-soul so long ago was now gone, replace by boundless joy for she was loved. Loved by the child that should have been her daughter. Loved by the only soul that was truly more precious to her than the whole of the entire Juraian Empire.

And so Tsunami continued to cry and it was her joyful tears that woke Washu and Noboyuki. Both parents woke to the sounds of tears and when they felt their arms empty of the weight of Ryoko both panicked. Waking with urgency both Noboyuki and Washu were taken aback as they watched Tsunami hugging Ryoko so tight it seemed like the poor girl would burst.

And for a confused moment Washu sat still trying to decipher what the goddess was so jubilant about. And then like a fractured dam wall the half memories of a time before mortal-immortality slowly seeped into her consciousness. And when Washu's mind grasped onto that first thought and analyzed then recognized it, the dam burst. Memories of a time when she was one of the chosen three, one of three sisters chosen for this realm, chosen for this time, chosen for this universe.

And there kneeling on the bed, Washu watched as the first mother Ryoko's soul ever knew held her. Tears of fear and loss quickly rose to her eyes. She would lose Ryoko to Tsunami. Ryoko's true mother… how would she ever cope with losing Ryoko? Especially now that she had just managed to win her love?

Ryoko sensed Washu long before she saw her. Ryoko sensed the fear and the hurt. Knowing that this situation was delicate to say the least Ryoko wondered about how to deal with the situation. Wondered how such a broken heart was to comfort two fragile hearts. Unsure as to what to do Ryoko felt tears of confusion and frustration well within her eyes. After all a person could only have one mother right? But now she had two people that wanted to be her mother. What was she to do?

Mentally reproaching herself, Ryoko suddenly sympathized with Tenchi. Wincing at the pain that the thought of his name brought her, Ryoko deliberately pushed aside her doubts and concerns with Tenchi, in order to deal with the matter at hand. Namely two mothers, one child.

Yosho emerged within the confines of the room and smiled at the situation before him. Ah, poor Ryoko, sympathizing with Tenchi now. It must be hard to have gone without for so long then to suddenly find yourself surrounded by that which you spent so much time longing for. A mother… Yes, Ryoko you have found yourself a truly difficult predicament. Yosho nearly laughed at the look on Ryoko's face as she tried to loosen Tsunami's hold on her neck. So that is where Misaki gets it? I had always wondered. Shaking his head and coughing in order to cover the chuckle, Yosho fully entered the room. And with all eyes turning to him, he looked directly at Ryoko. He knew that she knew she had to make a choice.

Sighing deeply, Ryoko slowly extricated herself from Tsunami's embrace. And grabbed Tsunami's left hand with her right and Washu's right hand with her left. Then pulled on Washu's hand until both women were before her. Choosing her words carefully and deliberately Ryoko uncharacteristically stammered through her tears and explanation.

"So far I have lived two lives within this one lifetime. So I think it is only fair to say that I have every right to have two mothers. Tsunami, you are the mother of the first half of my life. The mother of my life before the cave, caring for me and comforting me when I thought all hope was lost. Washu, you are the mother of the second half of my life after the cave, protecting me and guarding me when no one else would. Now, my life is far from over and I would like to believe that when all this is over I will be moving on into a third life. And in this life I will need you both, to care for me… maybe even my chil…chil…children." Ryoko's voice faltered then broke on the word children, as her mind returned to thoughts of Tenchi.

Tsunami could only smile down at her daughter, no, their daughter and feel the happiness that she had once thought that would never be hers again wrap warming tendrils around her joyous heart. Raising her head as if hearing something Tsunami smile grew deeper, he was coming back for Ryoko. Turning to Washu and Noboyuki, Tsunami gave them all a knowing smile and as the pair's eyes widened with shock and then understanding they returned the nod. Slowly the trio began to filter out of the bedroom. And when at last there was no one left in the room except for Ryoko and Yosho the older man turned to have his say for the again mournful pirate.

No, I should no longer think of her as such. For she is no longer a pirate. She never truly was. Shaking his head Yosho approached Ryoko. "My child… there are many words that I have wished to tell you. Firstly, please forgive me."

Ryoko's silent tears turned to a startled strangled gasp. Forgive him? Huh?!? What the fu…?

:Ryoko…:: Washu's new voice rang through her mind in a motherly warning. What was this? Some sort of weird conspiracy?

Swallowing her ire at Washu and looking at Yosho with earnest eyes, Ryoko face reflected every ounce of confusion that she felt. "But why? Why now?"

"Because it is not an easy thing to ask for, nor an easy thing to say. It has taken me all this time to arrive at this moment. To finally have the strength to ask you for your forgiveness. I know of no manner or way to amend the wrong that I have done you. But should you ask of me I would give you my life."

"But why?"

"Because without you I would not have my life as I want it. I would not have had the time I shared with Itsuki, nor the time I shared with Achika. But most importantly without you I would not have the family I have today. And it is all due to you. So I must first thank you and next ask for your forgiveness."

"I don't understand… why? After all this time why?" Ryoko felt the tears burn in her eyes. After so long of believing that what had happened to her was all her fault it was difficult to accept or even understand why this noble man before her would ask for her forgiveness. The incomprehensibility of the entire situation fracturing the already splintering Ryoko into a confused and tearful heap.

"I can give you no better explanation than, that I am sorry for having taken so long to do such a simple task. To seal you within that cave for all those years was third hardest thing I have had to do in my lifetime. The first was burying my wife, next burying my daughter. But to bury you, one so full of promise and life, despite what that man's perverse influence had done to you?"

"That was what I will always consider one of my most tragic moments. To hide you away and force you to sleep within the slumber of the dead. To seal away a light as brilliant such as yours from the universe? That is my crime and my punishment. I must bear with me for as long as I live all the hurt and suffering that I have caused you. For in the end you were still nothing more than a child. And I should have found a way. Found a way to protect you and shelter you, rather than deny you and reject you. But the span of time and possibilities between what I should have done and what I have done is beyond either of us now. So all that is left for me is to ask for your forgiveness."

Tears. That's all that Ryoko had at that moment, were mountainous, unending, sorrowful tears. Tears for her lost childhood, tears for her lost innocence, tears for the burden that Yosho carried unnecessarily. Tears from the depth of her soul, welled up and sprang past her eyes in a fearful torrent. She felt torn. She felt shattered. She felt destroyed. But underneath it all she felt reborn.

And it would be that faint hint of rebirth that would rally her past this moment. "I cannot forgive you Yosho." Ryoko said past the tearful sobs, her eyes downcast and her shoulders still shuddering faintly with her sobs. "I cannot forgive you, cause there's nothing to forgive. You only did what was necessary and I can't blame you for that. You are human after all. Not a god, not perfect, just human. And were I in your same situation, I know, I couldn't have thought of a better solution than what you did. You saved me. Saved me from my crimes, saved me from insanity, saved me from Kagato and saved me from myself. And then after you saved me? You gave me Tenchi." The tears threatened again at the mention of his name. She had to say this, say these last few words before the pain came again and robbed her of her voice.

"You gave me an opportunity to redeem myself and a chance at happiness with a family by my side. You of all people, you my jailor and my keeper, you know me. You know me better than I think I know myself, and yet you still see me as a person. You've seen what I am capable of at my worst and yet you still see me for me. You of all people should have known that I would not hold our past against you. Maybe that is why it took you so long, some part of you understood how I felt. I consider you a part of my family, and even if we are never more than just under the same roof, I will, deep in my heart consider you as something more…."

Smiling down at the top of Ryoko's bowed head, Yosho's heart sympathized for Ryoko. He felt the same way. She was more than just a close friend, she was family. The granddaughter he had never had but had secretly always wished for. He had beamed with pride when she had appeared from the cave that first night, even withered and pale as she had been he had still felt the pride of a grandfather for his child when she had stumbled to her feet. And when at last she had perused Tenchi he had felt his debt was to be repaid.

Yosho momentarily winced, he had used Tenchi abominably. Tenchi was not collateral to be paid out to the girl he felt had suffered the most. When Ayeka had arrived he could remember pushing the boy towards his sister. Again Yosho winced. After that he had decided to remain out of the triangle. And now? His little bit of machinations were causing two women that he love dearly, one as a sister and one as an offspring, almost boundless pain. Slowly Yosho inched his way to Ryoko and when at last he was standing directly before her, he held her.

And once Yosho's arms closed around her, Ryoko cried. Cried for all the time lost within the cave. Cried for all the lives lost by her hands. Cried for all the lives she destroyed. Cried for her own life. And the tears would not stop. The tears held back for so many years would not be denied. Tears of grief and pain for those she lost and those she killed.

And when at last her tears sapped the last of her energy and left her exhausted again, Yosho bent down and picked her up. Then he gently carried her to the bed as a father would carry his precious daughter and delicately laid her down. Then with all the tenderness of a loving grandparent, Yosho wrapped the covers around her and tucked her in. "Goodnight my soon to be granddaughter. Goodnight for you are one and the same. Goodnight daughter of many, child of none. " Then with a loving kiss to Ryoko's forehead, Yosho left the room, leaving as silently as he had entered.

And there on the bed Ryoko dreamt, dreamt of a future that would never be, for Tenchi loved Ayeka…

And somewhere within her lab Washu watched and waited. Tenchi would be back soon. Her hands flying lovingly over her keyboard. She had been away from her darling computer for too long. The itch to type had been steadily driving her insane, but oddly enough the urge to cook was also nagging at the back of her mind. Shaking off the urge Washu continued to look and wait for Tenchi.

And when at last her sensors detected the unique subspace propulsion signature of his spacecraft at the sixth planet of the solar system, Washu smiled. He would be back shortly enough and then Ryoko would have a tremendous surprise. From behind her she could feel Tsunami's presence and it was a comfort. To know now that she had nothing to fear of the goddess that Ryoko knew and accepted them both. Washu's heart swelled with pride as another sensor blinked maddeningly. He was so close now; he would be landing at any moment.

Too anxious with nervous anticipation, Tsunami gave way to Sasami. And the need to prepare a feast over took the young woman as she raced from the lab hoping to completely avoid Tenchi. And she did, by mere seconds, for just as she was racing through the kitchen door; he was pounding into the front entrance. Sasami opened the shutters on the pass through window connecting the kitchen to the dining room and watched with bated breath at Tenchi stormed his way into the house. And as he first slipped and missed the doorknob in one direction and then nearly repeated the process in the other direction Sasami almost ended up howling with laughter. Finally, when his hand closed on the doorknob Sasami giggled outloud. At last the door opened and Tenchi slipped and skidded his way into the lab.

Take a good look at me now,

Outside Ayeka watched it all. Watched him race into the house and knew that at least for Ryoko the pain was over, and for a moment she felt happy. Happy for Tenchi and happy for Ryoko, for them the pain and suffering was over. But as he entered the house without even noticing her presence Ayeka realized that the pair was past her now. That golden and glorious hope lost to her. Losing herself to her sorrow and thoughts Ayeka began to grieve.

Cause I'll still be standing here,

And from within the lab sleeping silently and fitfully, laid Ryoko. Dreaming of Tenchi and her new family. Dreaming of all that was and might have been. Dreaming of all that she had lost and all that she still hoped to have. Through her restless sleep the tears still sprang and flowed. Brilliant diamantes of twinkling dew, her tears shone with the crystalline purity of her love for Tenchi.

And you coming back to me is against all odds,

And it's the chance I've got to take.

Finally Tenchi reached the room he had left Ryoko in. And there she lay curled in a ball in the center of that monstrously lonely bed. Looking for all the world like a discarded doll. In the faint light of the room it was obvious her features were tear-streaked and drawn, the pain and heartache evident in every inch of her body and in the noticeable trembling. The stuttering sobs that broke her trembling into a body-wracking shudder tore at his heart. Had his departure really meant this much to her? Tenchi neared the bed slowly, his heart in his throat as he heard her hoarse voice whisper his name.

He lowered himself down to the bed still in shock by the beauty before him. When his movements on the bed finally awoke her, she inched her way across the bed to his side. Hoping she would get one last chance to tell him how much she loved him before he was lost to her forever. And when her mouth opened to speak Tenchi took advantage of the opportunity it afforded. Wrapping his arms around her and securing her in his embrace, Tenchi kissed her with all the passion he had been hiding for what felt like forever. And as she matched his adore with a heated passion that scorched his already inflamed senses, she felt her heart soar.

And when at last his lungs dictated that he part from her and breathe, Tenchi broke a way by only mere micrometers. Smiling into her mouth Tenchi told her of his love, and then lifted her and carried her out of the room. That room was not hers, nor was it his, and it was most definitely not theirs. So, intent on expressing his love to her until she believed him, Tenchi carried her off to his bedroom. And from within the safe haven and comforting warmth of his room, Tenchi repeated his words of love and devotion, all the while watching her intently. He would not allow her to believe this a dream, he loved her and he needed her to believe him.

So there within the center of his bedroom, Tenchi and Ryoko stared at each other as they happily and quietly whispered confessions of love between passionate kisses.

Take a look at me now.

End Chapter Rant: This chapter will probably be updated again at a later time, do to the fact that my betas are busy and I'm sick and tired of seeing this thing staring at me when I turn on my computer. Gotta love having fics in your start up folder. Yeah!! The never-ending reminders. Okay how many of you are still here with me? I'm pretty sure I lost a couple of you and I wouldn't blame you. I think somewhere along the line I wanted to kill this story. And now I'm gonna have to write myself out of my writer's block induced corner. Oh well. Oh yeah, buy the way… the muse won… I can't write an A+T fic to save my life. I tried. It sucked. It really really sucked. But I'm gonna post it anyways. Just so I can say I did it. But never again. I like Ayeka, but I just can't write her well enough in my opinion to do her justice. So I'll leave that up to better writers than myself. Well you know the drill. Read, Review. Try not to spill blood.