Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Trial ❯ "The Setup" ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*Disclaimer: The main characters in this story are property of AIC, Pioneer, & Viz Comics. All the others was thought of by me. Any similaries are just dumb luck so please don't sue me.

** Author's notes: This story takes place about a year after "Tenchi Forever" in which it follows the "Tenchi Universe" storyline. All this means that Ryoko isn't a demon, nor she related to Washu. Tenchi & Yosho aren't related to Ayeka & Sasami by blood & we'll see Kiyone in this drama. C & C is welcomed, but remember, this is my first fanfic, so easy on the flame throwing! ENJOY!!

The Trial: by alighthawk

Prologue: Scene I

Near the Juraian border, lied an obscure planet just off the main spaceways. Its name was the planet Xeria. Nothing much ever happened there anymore, especially in the last several hundred years since the ore mining operations went bankrupt and all the major businesses uprooted and left. Since then, the planet had become an out of way haven for pirates, wanted criminals and every other sort of low life that could be thought of. However, because of its remote location, local authorities such as the Galaxy Police or the Jurai military rarely dropped by to arrest anyone. "A waste of time" was the term used most frequently to describe this rock in space.

Which was why Xeria was the perfect place to hold a secret meeting between two parties that were discovering that their alliance was in disarray right now. From the Juraian border came a transport ship and from its markings and insignia from the outside, it appeared to be a ship from either the Holy Council or perhaps a member of the Royal Family.

As ship headed towards the darkside of the planet to avoid detection, it made a synchronized orbit at the southern region. A transport beam descended down to the largest city and suddenly two men materialized at a darkened street. One of the men, a young Juraian guard, walked ahead and surveyed the area. The other, an older gentleman, stood and turned around, looking for the designated spot where this meeting was supposed to take place.

"Nobody appears to be outside my Lord." Observed the young guard. "I guess it mustn't be too safe to be out at this time."

"No my young aide, everybody is either inside drinking to a stupor or indulging in some other indecent activity". The Juraian Lord mumbled back. "Just as well. I want to do this as quietly as indiscreetly as possible. The actions that we're taking tonight could cause some serious ramifications back on Jurai if we're not careful"

"Lord Braga, is it wise to meet with these people here?" The guard asked. "What I mean is... do you trust them?"

"Not in the slightest, but we do require a scapegoat and they will provide a fitting subject when the 'truth' comes out." Lord Braga with said a smirk. "Do not worry Kenji. Once we concluded our business here, and get off this mudball of a planet, the rest of the plan will take care of itself. Now I believe the tavern down the block is our destination."

Kenji continued to be in front of Lord Braga in case anything was to happen. As they walked down the dimly lit street, he couldn't help but think: <I pray to Tsunami that you're right my Lord, but my heart is feeling this gnawing sensation and I feel that we may not leave this place unscathed...>

As they arrived at the entrance of the tavern, Lord Braga motioned to Kenji to put the hood of his robe over his head. Even though they were in civilian clothing, the vermin in this place could smell a Juraian a mile away; let alone being able to recognize a minister from the Holy Council. Kenji though kept his recoiled battle staff close to his right side just in case.

As they entered, they could see that the place was in a dark setting. Dim lights, if any worked at all. As they took two steps down from the door, they could see the bar. It stretched almost from one side of the tavern to the other. The place was big in length, but not so much in width. The tables and chairs looked worn from usage and probably from the bar fights that occurred from time to time here. The only thing that was clearly lit was the liquor display behind the bar. Braga assumed that the barkeeper wanted to make sure his customers could clearly see what they're ordering, assuming they could read at all.

As they made their way down the narrow walkway, the locals started to stare curiously. It made Kenji nervous. "S...Sir, are you sure this the right place?"

"Relax my boy, I see our contact ahead of us." Braga saw a man standing by a doorway covered by a black curtain. The man was tall, had short dark hair with a spiky top. Also notable was that he was wearing a patch over his left eye. Kenji noticed the man's features, <Guess he had one fight to many. > He thought.

As they approach the doorway, the one eye man straightened up and motioned with his right hand for them to come over. "Lord Braga I presume?" The man asked.

"Yes...that is me, but would you mind not saying it so loud? The purpose of having this meeting here is so that I'm not recognized!" Braga barked back with an annoyed look on his face.

"My apologizes my lord, but we don't usually get that many high caliber people roaming in here often. Oooh my gracious!! Where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself for I am Yataka! I'm the boss' right hand man so to speak, so you may deal with me directly." He smiled with a wide grin across his face.

"Yataka!" Braga answered back. "The agreement was that I deal with your employer face to face, not with some overpriced lackey! Where is your employer?" He demanded.

"Lackey?!?" Yataka winced."Sir, I'm hurt to think that you consider me a mere hired thug. However, if you strongly feel that way, I'll escort you towards the back room and there I will contact the boss."

"Very well, you may proceed, but be warned my patience is growing thin." Braga grumbled as he scowled at Yataka.

"Oooh...don't worry your Lordship. Once I contact the boss, we can get this over very quickly and you can return to your precious Jurai." Yataka answered with a sly look to his face.

Braga looked back at Kenji. The young Juraian was already concerned about this whole setup and this surprise delay isn't helping much either. Braga motioned to Kenji as if to say 'Be alert'! Kenji slowly put his hand on his staff, preparing for trouble just in case.

As they entered the back room, a large table was laid out. Four wooden chairs were facing each side of the table. On top of the table were some drinking glasses and what appears to be a bottle of Sake, imported from Jurai.

Yataka grabbed the bottle and a glass and waved to the two Juraians, "Care for a drink gentlemen? I do try to be a proper host."

"Perhaps later. After we have reached an agreement with your employer. Now would you please make the call?!?" Braga demanded as he sat down at one end of the table. Kenji stood in attention behind him.

"Relax your lordship, I'll do it right now." Yataka then pulled out his communication device and pressed an automated signal. After a few seconds, it made a beeping sound as to acknowledge the first.

"The boss is coming my Lord, and then we can end this deal quickly." Yataka said once more with a smirk on his face as Kenji noticed and it was starting to irritate him.

"So now my Lord, may I ask you a question?" Yataka asked.

"What is it that you wish to know?" Braga replied.

"Oooh, like how you was going to setup the boss to take the fall for your improprieties back on Jurai?"

"WHAT!?! How dare you accuse me of betraying our arrangement! How dare you insult a member of the Holy Council of Jurai!" A red-faced Braga shouted with rage, realizing also that his 'plan' had been discovered.

"But your lordship, you compromised your trust with us a long time ago when our 'friends' on the Jurai government heard rumors of betrayal by your cabinet. By you coming here, you have proven that you're desperate enough to keep your dirty secret quiet and what makes you think the boss wasn't prepared for your deceit?" Yataka's grin was growing ever wider.

"Enough of this rubbish! Kenji, kill this cretin and lets be on our way." Braga screamed. "This meeting is terminated and so are you Yataka."

"I don't think so Braga!" A voice yelled from the doorway.

As Braga turned towards the direction of the voice; a bolt of energy shot across the room and struck Kenji. When the Juraian Lord turned back, he saw the young guard's body, but also a pulped lump of flesh that used to be his head. Before he could react, Yakata went behind him and knocked the chair from under Braga, causing him to fall and sprawled all over the floor. As he tried to get up, a red boot stepped on his right hand, crushing it.

Braga started to scream in agony when he looked up at his attacker. He saw the evil smile, a sinister stare that was looking back right at him. "Well look what we have here, a self-arrogant Juraian minister on his knees. Yataka, do you think he'll want to beg for his life?" The boss asked.

"Oooh, I hope so. I don't care for his attitude at all. Can I kill him boss? Please?" Yataka pleaded.

"N...No! P...Please let me live! It was a small misunderstanding! I'll make amends! Just don't kill me!" Braga pleaded, but it was falling on deaf ears.

"Pitiful fool! Allow me to show you what I do to those who betray me." An energy ball started to appear. "Send my regards to Tsunami Lord Braga, though I pretty much suspect that you'll ending up in hell!"

"N...Noooooooo!!!" Screamed out Braga and in an instant, he was reduced to charred flesh.

"Awww boss, I wanted to do him in." Yataka whined.

"Enough of this crap, we found what we wanted and now its time for us to depart." Our mysterious killer ordered Yataka as they started towards the doorway.

"But what about the transport ship? Aren't they waiting for these guys?" asked Yataka.

"Oh that. That's being taken care of as we speak..."

****************************************

Up above the Xeria, the Juraian Royal Transport Yahwa was being bombarded; energy bolts from an unknown attacking ship that appeared out of hyperspace was overwhelming its defenses. The crew was unaware of Lord Braga's true mission and now they were paying for his follies.

"Captain!! Our shielding has collapsed!! We can't sustain anymore damage!!" Yelled out the navigator.

"Have we heard from Lord Braga or his guard crewman?" Yelled the captain, but before he got his answer, a huge fireball erupted from the engine room and within seconds the ship exploded into atoms.

The scene was that of shock from the planet surface as a thunderous sound hit the atmosphere. The crowds were coming outside to find out what was going on and what they saw before them was a spectacular lightshow. Why was this happening they wondered?

Back at the tavern, two figures stepped outside to view the skyline. Some of patrons that came out to see the noise started to go back in when they came upon the pair. Yataka was seen before when he stood by the back room, but when the crowd noticed his companion, they all froze and many of them started going off to different directions.

"I don't believe it!" Yataka sighed." Some of these guys are the toughest criminals in the universe and they're running at the sight of you! I guess you're plan is working after all boss."

"It sure looks like it, now lets get outta here." Our sinister villain started to laugh with satisfaction.

"Boss, look!! A security camera is roaming in the air." Yataka noticed. "They're sure to spot you."

"That's the idea you twit! Now when we get back aboard the ship, let our 'murderer' go" The boss stared back as Yataka nodded when suddenly a transport beam engulfs them and returns them to their ship.

<This is going to be a sweet victory. Between having access to Braga's laundered money accounts and having the person 'responsible' for this on camera, I'm finally getting even with you. > Our true killer gloating over the setup that had taken place...

**************************************

Scene II

(One week earlier...)

Summer was in full swing in the Masaki house. The sky was a deep blue with a scattering of clouds over the horizon. A slight breeze could be felt as it came from across the lake. All the trees and flowers were at their glorious colors and as we come closer to the house, it appeared that this afternoon a celebration was almost under way.

"Mihoshi, can you please pass the salt? The meat is almost cooked, but it needs a little more seasoning." A busy Sasami asked in her mission to get all the food ready for the party.

"Sure, Sasami. Let me just get the tablecloth here so I can help Kiyone outside." Replied the blonde Galaxy Police officer. "Boy, I think you really outdid yourself this time. It looks and smells wonderful."

"Thanks Mihoshi..." Sasami smiled as she turned off the oven and headed over to the salad bowl. "I want this to be a special day that Tenchi will never forget."

"Yeah, I hope so too. He really worked hard over the summer to finally finish his classes in school. Those six months being kidnapped by Haruna almost screwed up his education." Mihoshi said, remembering the harrowing experience.

"I know. It almost cost him his chance to go to college. Not that I really understand much about it, but if it really important to him and Nobuyuki, then it's only fair that we help support him." Sasami answered with a wide grin.

Up at the shrine, Tenchi Masaki was busy sweeping away upper stairs leading to the shrine. His thoughts were everywhere, but to his chores. <Even in a day that everyone is throwing a party for me, Grandpa still has me doing my chores. Me. Tenchi Masaki! Possessor of the Jurai Power! The one who defeated the evil Kagato!>

He looked down and stared at his old wooden broom and lets out a heavy sigh, < Reduced to the task of sweeping the temple floors, and the worst of it is if I decline to do it today, it's double duty tomorrow... >

"Don't complain Tenchi. I could have you do your sword training all day." Declared a smiling Yosho, "But since this is a special day, I'll let it pass..."

"Really Grandpa! Don't you think I've done enough this past year with having to go to night classes AND summer school so I can graduate on time for college. I mean between that and the usual hijinks that occurs in this house, I'm surprised I haven't dropped dead from stress!"

Yosho looked back at him while trying to contain his laughter, "You're too young to die from such ailments. Besides, if you can survive this experience and learn from it, you can master the many difficulties in your life."

"Maybe so Gramps, but why couldn't you have 'persuaded' the school administration to let pass me with the rest of the my classmates?" Tenchi asked.

Yosho stared up in the sky, wondering where had the time flown. "Even a person such as myself with the Jurai power cannot undo the six months that were lost when you were taken away to Haruna's world. Not to mention the time missed when we set out to Jurai to defeat Kagato."

The Shrinemaster then looked back at his grandson with a straight face, not showing any concern nor sympathy, "Tenchi, considering what this family has gone through over the last two years and considering the 'other' problem you still need to take care of, don't you believe this is a small price to pay?"

Tenchi looked back at his elder and thought about it. <Damn it! He's right, as always. He did manage to 'talk' to the principal about arranging my classes so I get everything done before summer finished. Otherwise, I would have to make up another year. Gods! That would have been embarrassing! >

"You're right Grandpa. It's just that I got so much on my mind lately that I forget that there are things in life I should be grateful for; getting back from Haruna's world for one." The young prince reluctantly agreed.

"Speaking of which Tenchi, now that school is out of the way, what do you plan on telling the girls?" Inquired Yosho.

<The girls! > Tenchi thought. <I made them promised not to argue or bother me while I concentrated on my studies. It was hard for Ayeka and Ryoko, especially Ryoko. > He turned around and looked down towards the house, his mind searching for that first moment when he suspected that a certain cyan haired space pirate was holding his heart captive.

<I knew I had strong feelings for her ever since we returned from our 'time and space adventures'. The mere fact that she gave up her 'perfect world' to come back to our reality made me realized that she really had deep feelings for me and not just an some sort of crush... > Tenchi's face brightened up and started to show a slight smile.

<But I never knew how much she meant to me until that final battle with Kagato. She wanted me to go away with her, thinking she can protect me. Even when she knew I was still going to stop that madman and save Ayeka, she still helped me despite the injuries she suffered. > Tenchi remembered back as he felt his eyes starting to tear up.

After he defeated Kagato, he had the chance to become the Emperor of Jurai with Ayeka at his side, but he had no emotional attachments with the birthplace of his grandfather's and the one question that kept constantly racing through his mind was what had happened to Ryoko after he left Ryo-oki to storm the palace? Those feelings and being homesick made him realized that he had no business being king of some far away empire with a princess whom he adored, but could not see her anymore but as a dear friend.

He remembered how his heart nearly burst with joy when the golden eye beauty came back to him a few days after he arrived back from Jurai. The way she jumped from midair and landed into his arms made him feel all warm and tingly. And when she gave him a loving embrace, he didn't hesitated in returning his affections as well.

Yosho stared at his grandson when he didn't response to his query. <Guess he's daydreaming about her... >

Tenchi's mind was definitely in dreamland right about now. His next thoughts were at the moment when Haruna's spirit finally released him and went off with the young image of Yosho to her final resting place <Despite my yelling at her, and thinking she couldn't reach me with her heart, my Ryoko came back for me. When we returned, I knew then that my feelings for her were more than just friendship or an infatuation, I knew at that moment I really was in love with her as well. >

He recalled how they sorted 'connected' when they returned from Haruna's world and while they've gotten closer over the months, he still hadn't gotten the courage to tell her how he really felt. <I can honestly say that she's my best friend and I can't imagine my life without her, but for the life of me I can't seem to muster enough nerve to tell her I love her. I know it's driving her crazy, but she seems so understanding about it. >

He lets out a heavy sigh when the images shifted from his true love to the Jurai princess<And what about Ayeka? I love her dearly, but only as a sister. I'm afraid to tell her of my decision would be. And by doing that, she feels that she still has a chance to win over my heart. To make matters worse, the bond that the girls have developed when they went searching for me is starting to wear off. Lately, they been going at each other like the old days, I can't help but think that I'm responsible for their fighting again. > "GODS!! Why am I so dense?"

"Tenchi, you're thinking out loud." Yosho whispered behind his left ear.

Tenchi jumped up, "YIKES! Geez, Grandpa, don't do that!"

"Sorry my boy, you seemed lost in thought. I assume you're thinking about the 'other' problem?" Asked Gramps.

"Yes Grandpa, I think it's time for me to confront them on my feeling towards them. They deserved to be told and hopefully they won't skin me alive when I tell them, heh-heh" Tenchi answered as he lets out a nervous laugh.

"Then perhaps you should wait until after the celebration to tell them of your decision; at least they'll be happy together for one moment. I'm confident that Ayeka will not try to kill you when you finally tell her the bad news." Yosho reasoned.

"Grandpa? How are you so sure that I'm going to pick Ryoko over Ayeka?" Tenchi looked at him with confusion.

"Tenchi...I may be old and weathered down, but I been around long enough in this wonderful land to see all sorts of feelings and emotions that people, especially young people who can convey their thoughts and expressions to each other without saying a word. I've noticed the facial expressions on your face when Ryoko is around you nowadays. When she first came to us, there wouldn't be a day that she couldn't make you blush or that occasional nosebleed when you stumbled upon her naked in the onsen."

Tenchi could see the wide grin on his grandfather's face when he mentioned the last comment. He also noticed his face feeling warm. Was he blushing again? He checked his cheeks while Yosho continued with his observation.

"But lately whenever you two are close to each other, you've been receptive to her presence, even smiling when she sits next to you during mealtime. From this viewpoint, I occasionally see the both of you sitting on the branches of Funaho. Talking I assume?"

If Tenchi wasn't red before, he certainly was now. "G-Grandpa, y-you were spying on me?!?"

"No grandson, Nobuyuki does that. I merely get out of the shrine from time to time to get some air and just happen to see the both of you by the tree."

"Well, no-nothing happened Grandpa! R-Really! We just go there to talk. That's all!" Tenchi said with a guilt-ridden expression on his face.

"I believe you." Yosho looked at him with a straight face. "But the question is do YOU want something to happen?"

"I do Grandpa, but I'm afraid of what Ayeka and the others will feel if I express my love for Ryoko. I don't want to see 'our family' fall apart because of my decision." Tenchi looked down at the ground dejectedly.

Yosho shook his head and stared at Tenchi, "I can't speak for the girls, but I don't believe that they would leave if you suddenly decide to choose. They already have their suspicions that this choice is between Ryoko and Ayeka. If that were the case, officers Kiyone and Mihoshi would have stayed at Galaxy Police headquarters and Washu would have found another place to cause chaos and mischief.

He then walked over to him and placed his left hand on his right shoulder. "They love you because you ARE their family, like the rest of us. All this will probably hurt Ayeka, but ultimately it will be her decision to stay or not. So do not be overly distressed by her hurt feelings my boy. Remember, she is still to be Empress of Jurai. Sooner or later, she will have to return to rule, and since you already renounced the throne. She has little options."

"Grandpa, you make it like it such a simple thing for her to accept her role in the Jurai Royal Family." Tenchi interrupted as he stared down towards the house, seeing the preparation for the party getting under way. With a sullen look on his face, he looked back at the old Jurai prince. "I guess there's no other way then?"

"As long as you make the choice with your heart and be true to them as you always have, they'll respect your decision. Besides, your father and I were discussing of what your first child with Ryoko would look like." The old man snickered.

Tenchi's eyes went wide, "GRANDPA!! I'm just finished high school, and you and dad are already planning on my first born!?!"

Yosho starts to head back towards the shrine but tells Tenchi, "It's never too early to start planning for the future, but before you do, please finish sweeping the steps and I'll see you at the party."

A sweat bead dropped from Tenchi's head and sighed, <Those two are unbelievable...> But then realized, <I wouldn't be the person I am if it weren't for them. I wonder if that's a good thing? > He thought about that as he scratched the back of his head and decided to finish his chores before the party. As he started to sweep the long stone steps, his thoughts drifted off again as he thinks about a certain cyan haired woman <Definitely tonight I'm going to tell Ryoko how I really feel about her. >


End prologue

*What do you think? Will Tenchi finally tell Ryoko how he feels?
*Will Ayeka freak out at the news?
*And most important, who is our mysterious assassin and what's the
connection between him and the Masaki clan? Stay tuned.