Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ The Youngest Hakubi ❯ Farming ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Youngest Hakubi
By: bsmart
 
Disclaimer: Why the hell am I writing this? Nobody reads them and they have no legal weight. It's a complete waste of time and bandwidth and yet I'm still typing. If Pioneer or AIC wants to sue me go for it, I've got about twenty bucks in the bank, I'll write'em a check. I don't know what this is going to be rated so I'll just say G and if anything happens that offends you I couldn't care less.
 
Note: This is an OVA continuity fic. It takes place about a week or two after the end of the second OVA.
“…” Normal Speech
`…' Thought
=====================================================
 
Chapter 3: Farming
 
The next morning dawned too soon as far as Ryo-ohki was concerned. As she became more aware of her surroundings she realized that she was laying all alone on her back on the futon with her arms and legs spread out as far as they would go. Waking up without Sasami wasn't a surprise, however her current position was, `How did I wind up like this?' As she pondered this she encountered something else unexpected, she felt a tight sensation in her chest, almost immediately her mouth opened as wide as it could and she let loose and involuntary, `Nyaaaaaaaaa!' She tried as hard as she could to get her mouth to close while this happened but it refused to. `What was that? Is there something wrong with me?'
 
`Negative, all systems operating within 2% of maximum efficiency.'
 
Rubbing her eyes reflexively she responded, `Not that, this body, why would it do that?'
 
`Unknown.'
 
`This is ridiculous, how can you do anything with a body like this if it does things like that that you can't control.' With an exasperated sigh she got up to confront the day. When she arrived downstairs in her pajamas she found everyone else already sitting down waiting for something. A second later Ayeka came out of the kitchen with a pot of miso soup. She was also the first to spot Ryo-ohki.
 
“Ah, good morning Ryo-ohki, did you sleep well?”
 
“Nyaa.” `Yes.' She said with a smile on her face.
 
“Good, we got you some apples, pickles, and soup.” She set the pot down and assumed her position beside Tenchi. Breakfast passed quietly and once the cleanup was done the house split up to go about their days. Ryo-ohki headed back upstairs to change into something she could wear during the day. She wasn't sure why she couldn't her pajamas all day but Sasami and Mihoshi had told her they were only for sleeping in when they bought them so she took them at their word.
 
When she came back down there was no one in sight. `Everyone is doing something different. What am I going to do?' As she pondered what to do she found herself drifting towards the kitchen and then through it to the shed out back. She quickly spotted Tenchi moving up the hill towards the carrot fields and instantly made up her mind. She scurried up the hill as quickly as her little legs could take her. By the time she caught him Tenchi was already busy turning over a new row of soil so he could plant more carrots, not slowing down until the last second when she came to a stop with a little hop and announced her presence with a cheerful, “Miyah!”
 
Tenchi was a more then slightly excitable young man and the unexpected arrival of the smallest member of his family caused him to leap up spin around with a yelp. Upon realizing who it was he only relaxed slightly, the last time she had been out here he had almost been killed. He had only recently gotten used to living with five women who could destroy his house or even half of Japan in the right conditions. Living with them was a minefield of conflicting emotions he was only now learning how to navigate. Having to deal with a sixth wasn't something he looked forward too, he just didn't know what to expect, he didn't know what would send her off into a destructive rage and what would mollify her. As far as he was concerned she a nuke with a hair trigger. “Oh, hello Ryo-ohki, you surprised me. Did you want to help?” he asked, remembering what had initiated her last trip out.
 
Ryo-ohki was much more perceptive then her outward appearance might suggest. She knew Tenchi was more then startled, he had yet to calm down and was acting exactly the way he did when Ryoko and her had first come around. `Why would he be scared of me? I don't blow things up or fight like Ayeka and Ryoko. What's up with him?' Deciding to try to reassure him and try to put him at ease she did her best to look as cute and harmless as she could. With a large smile plastered onto her face an as much sugar in her voice as she could muster she answered, “Miyah!”
 
Tenchi couldn't help but smile back at the cabbit but he still knew she wasn't anything like she appeared. Deciding that the best way to make sure he didn't hurt her feelings was to let her help but put her as far from him as possible Tenchi picked up a pair of buckets. One was full of seeds and the other full of some small green spheres about the size of a pea. “Here's how you can help me, I need you to plant these seeds. Think you can you handle that?” When he got an affirmative nod he continued. He bent down and used a hand trowel from the seed bucket to dig a small hole. “First dig a small hole, then take one of these seeds and place it in the hole with one of these fertilizer pellets Washu made.” When he looked up he saw Ryo-ohki sniffing one of the little pellets. He chuckled lightly before informing her, “Washu made these special for you, they make the carrots grow very fast. We'll be able to harvest these seeds in two weeks.”
 
Ryo-ohki gave a small nod at this, `I didn't realize carrots didn't just grow this fast. I'll have to remember to tell Washu thank you.'
 
“Well do you think you can handle planting these?”
 
`Miya!'
 
“Well then go for it. Head on down to the end of the row and get started.”
 
Ryo-ohki grabbed up the pails and took off, very pleased that she was finally going to get to help Tenchi. For the next three hours she happily tagged along behind him planting seeds. Whenever she caught up to him too much Tenchi would hurry up to put a little distance between them but Ryo-ohki was too pleased to notice. When Tenchi was finished tilling five rows he helped Ryo-ohki finish up and declared, “Well that's done, you've been a big help.”
 
“Myah!” `Great'
 
“We're done about and hour and a half early, guess we won't be coming back out after lunch.” `Thank Kami.' In truth Ryo-ohki had been a big help and her demeanor the whole time had put Tenchi somewhat at ease but he was still happy to get away from her as soon as possible.
 
Sasami had lunch waiting for them, rice balls and steamed vegetables for Tenchi and her, apples and carrots for Ryo-ohki. As they sat around eating Mihoshi wondered in started to dig in as well. After downing a rice ball she asked, “Where are Ayeka and Ryoko at?”
 
“They're up at the shrine with Katsuhito,” answered Sasami.
 
“Speak of the devils,” he finished the pea he was eating before continuing, “I need to be getting up there or grandfather will tan my hide. I was late yesterday and if I'm late today he won't go easy on me at sword practice. Last thing I need is another lump on my head.”
 
As Tenchi left Sasami decided it was time to introduce Ryo-ohki to another part of being humanoid. “Ryo-ohki, you're a mess. Time for a bath, come on.”
 
Ryo-ohki did know what a bath was, you couldn't spend more then a week in this house without knowing what a bath was, however she was still a little fuzzy on the purpose. She knew that part of it was to get clean, something the others seemed to do at least once a day. However they often went and there and didn't clean off, they just sat in the water, and every time she could think of Ryoko was drinking sake as well. Ayeka almost always drank with Ryoko and Mihoshi didn't lag far behind. Even Washu had been known to imbibe from time to time. As she followed Sasami to the door that would transport them to the onsen Ryo-ohki pondered this contradictory evidence. The walk wasn't long and they were through the door before she could discern a pattern.
 
Sasami didn't bother telling Ryo-ohki what to do, she had brought the cabbit in here many times before and she knew that Ryo-ohki would know what to do. They both quickly disrobed and Sasami took special care to neatly hang her robes up, however Ryo-ohki's dirt smeared clothes were something else. “Ryo-ohki just toss those in that hamper over there, they have to get washed.”
 
“Merooow?”
 
The princess picked up the pair of shorts and pointed to the dirt stains on the knees, “Dirty, see?'
 
`Ahhh, ok that makes sense.' She nodded softly and followed Sasami. Over the next twenty minutes Sasami helped Ryo-ohki scrub herself clean. Finally they helped wash each others backs before Sasami led Ryo-ohki to the hot pool for a soak. As Sasami gingerly lowered herself into the seemingly scalding water Ryo-ohki plowed right by her until she was neck deep in the water. Pausing on the steps to look at her friend Sasami asked, “Ryo-ohki isn't that hot?”
 
Pausing to think about it for a moment Ryo-ohki just looked at Sasami and shrugged her shoulders, “Nyaaaarr.”
 
Sasami just smirked and continued into the pool and settled onto one of the submerged steps around its edge. As she sat she also closed her eyes to enjoy the warmth of the water and didn't notice Ryo-ohki staring at her wondering what was going on. When Sasami opened her eyes she noted Ryo-ohki's look of confusion. “Just relax, that's all this is about, ok? Just like lying in the sun, well, sort of.”
 
Taking the cue Ryo-ohki sat on a ledge opposite of Sasami and relaxed. Relaxing in the sun was something that she was well acquainted with and in moments she appreciated the pleasant warmth of the water. As she allowed her whole body to completely relax she noted another benefit of the water, the warmth was all encompassing. Rather then just feel it on the side she had facing the sun she felt the warmth all over. In an effort to feel it all over herself she slipped lower in the water until she was completely submerged. Her revere only lasted a few minutes before Sasami bounded out of her seat and dragged the cabbit out of the water.
 
“Ryo-ohki are you ok,” she asked as she smacked her friend on the back. “You could have drowned, are you ok?”
 
Ryo-ohki wriggled her way out of the concerned princess' grasp and stood a few feet from her looking at Sasami as if she was insane. Meanwhile Sasami kept up a constant stream of, “...are you ok?”'s.
 
Ryo-ohki responded with a series of rapid fire “Miyah's” that alternated between annoyed, explanatory, and reproachful sounding. Confused and concerned Sasami didn't stop trying to find out if there was anything wrong with her friend.
 
Their twin tirades were interrupted by a familiar chuckling coming from near the door of the onsen. When the two turned around they spotted Washu making her way towards them. “Don't worry Sasami; Ryo-ohki wasn't in any danger of drowning. And Ryo-ohki, cut the princess some slack, she was just worried about you and didn't know, ok?”
 
“Didn't know what,” asked Sasami.
 
“That Ryo-ohki can't drown; she doesn't need to breathe like you do. Well she does need to breath, just not very often, maybe once an hour or so and her lungs can breathe just as easily in water as in air. Not to mention if she got in trouble she could just phase out of the pool.”
 
“Oh, well….I'm sorry Ryo-ohki, I was just worried about you.”
 
“Meeeeya.” `It's ok.'
 
Washu smiled slightly before turning to Ryo-ohki, “And you would do good to remember that Sasami can't understand you, so all that fussing went right over her head.”
 
Ryo-ohki turned back to Sasami and muttered a conciliatory “Merrah,” around the pointer finger she had in her mouth.
 
“It's alright Ryo-ohki, its not your fault.”
 
As Washu watched the pair she momentarily reflected, `No its my fault.' Quickly banishing the thought Washu told them, “Well I thought I would join you to for a soak before I saw if Ryo-ohki was ready for another check-up.” Ryo-ohki quickly agreed and after a short soak Washu escorted her to the lab.
 
“I know it's only been a day since your last checkup but you haven't changed out of this form since yesterday right?”
 
“Myah.”
 
“Good, I wanna have a look at you and see how you're doing. I also thought up a few more tests and maybe we could just talk a little.”
 
Ryo-ohki just smiled and followed Washu into the same area of the lab she had been in the day before. Ryo-ohki hopped into the chair Washu pointed her too and sat through another round of tests. Once the tests were finished Washu came up and fitted the expected helmet to her head but then something happened that Ryo-ohki hadn't expected, the chair she was sitting in started to rise up and flatten out, within seconds the chair was a bed and a large sensor cluster lowered to within two feet of her prone body. Ryo-ohki was starting to feel a little tense but Washu came over and sat on her floating cushion at the head of the bed.
 
“Well, how did you sleep?”
 
`Not good at first. Sasami got out the spare futon and I just couldn't go to sleep on it.'
 
“And then?”
 
`Ayeka came in and told us we could sleep in the same bed, and then we were able to fall asleep right away.'
 
“Well that's good, did you enjoy helping Tenchi today?”
 
Washu watched as her little test subject's eyes lit up, `It was really fun, he had me plant the seeds and we worked all morning and got done early!'
 
“Did you get a lot done?”
 
`Yes, we planted five rows of carrots!' `Planted 403 carrots.' Came the replies to Washu's question.
 
`There we are,' thought the diminutive scientist.
 
`Oh, I almost forgot, thank you for making those pellets for the carrots. I really appreciate that.'
 
“Oh, um, well you're welcome,” Washu replied, taken aback by the thanks. “How are you feeling physically?”
 
`I'm doing ok, I'm a little tired but not like I would expect to be from staying like this all night.' `All systems operating within 8% of nominal, form stability 89%, energy generation operating at 76% efficiency.'
 
`Dead on, excellent,' thought the scientist. “How are you doing with Sasami?”
 
`We're having fun, she showed me how to take a bath today since I got dirty in the carrot patch.'
 
“You're gonna have to take one each day.”
 
`That's ok, it's kinda nice to relax in the hot pool, but about the soak…when I tried to talk to Sasami she didn't understand me, I can't speak like a person. It happened earlier when I tried to tell her that Mihoshi was making breakfast.'
 
“Well I can imagine that would be annoying. How about Ryoko, how have you been doing with her?”
 
`She helped me with telling Sasami about breakfast but I haven't seen her much. She's been up in the shrine with Ayeka.'
 
“Yeah, Katsuhito has been running them through the wringer up there. Still it seems to have calmed them down some. Have you tried holding your adult form lately?”
 
`No, I've been working on getting used to this one.'
 
“That's probably a good idea, still I would like you to try holding your adult form some when you get the chance. It could prove useful in the future.”
 
`I don't have any clothes for my adult form. Sasami told me I have to wear clothes.'
 
Washu just smiled at the cabbit's innocent statement. “Don't worry; I'll make you some when the time comes.”
 
For the next hour Washu monitored the tests and made idle chit-chat with Ryo-ohki never leaving her side. When everything was finished Ryo-ohki started to get up and leave the lab, as Washu watched her go a stray thought passed through her mind, `I wonder if that's what Ryoko would have looked like at that age?'
 
Her contemplation was interrupted when she heard a timid male voice call out, “Washu are you in here?” Grinning evilly Washu ordered all the lights in the area off and turned the brightness of the nearest monitor all the way up highlighting her from below in a blue glow. As her subject/prey caught sight of her she watched as his eyes widened and he swallowed a lump in his throat.
 
With a coy smile she asks in her most seductive voice, “Is there something you want Tenchi?”
 
“Ummmm, actually it's about Ryo-ohki.”
 
“Oh, about the way you had her working as far from you as possible?”
 
Tenchi's nervous looks quickly changed to a guilty one, “Well, you see….ah…she makes me nervous.”
 
Washu raised an eyebrow before gesturing to a massive video screen on the wall behind her that was now displaying the cutest picture of Ryo-ohki in Washu's files. “That makes you nervous?”
 
“Well yeah. Wait, how did you know about me having her work away from me?”
 
“Tenchi, I record everything that happens around here. Why would that little girl make you nervous, all she wanted to do was help.”
 
“Well the first time she came out to help she almost killed me.”
 
“Tenchi that wasn't the Ryo-ohki that was the masu trying to do what Ryo-ohki wanted too, namely help you. Ryo-ohki came out and stopped the masu and the first thing she did was ask for carrots. She's about as harmless as Sasami.”
 
“She can still turn into a spaceship at will. I just don't know how to handle her and I'm worried she might get out of control. I know how to deal with Ryoko or Ayeka but I don't know how to deal with Ryo-ohki.”
 
Washu just shook her head and muttered, “Give her a carrot.”
 
“What was that?”
 
Waving him off Washu held up a small bracelet. “Nothing, look if she worries you so much just wear this when she's around. If she freaks out just hit this button and it'll whisk you right back here, safe from Ryo-ohki.”
 
Tenchi eyed the bracelet suspiciously before taking it and starting to leave without looking back at Washu. He had only taken three steps before he heard a very seductive voice purr, “Tenchi….” His mind and his body were instantly offering differing solutions as to how to handle this. His body won out. He slowly turned to see an adult Washu in her nurse outfit twirling a stethoscope, “Tenchi, I can assure you that that no one in this house wants to hurt you.” She closed the distance between them and had one of her fingers trace a path along her collar bone and down the open front of her uniform. “In faaaact, we all want to do niiicce things to you Tenchi. Very. Nice. Things.” As she uttered the last word her finger caught the button at the high point of her cleavage and popped it free. At this point Tenchi's mind won out over his body and he bolted for the door.
 
Shifting back to her adolescent form and her normal work clothes she said, “Damn, I know that boy is biologically normal, what is wrong with him.” Letting out a dejected sigh she called out, “Ryo-ohki you can come out now.”
 
The toddler appeared from behind a large piece of machinery with a look that telegraphed that she thought she was in trouble.
 
Washu just smiled at her, “You're not in trouble, were you curious if Tenchi was gonna say something about you?”
 
The cabbit nodded slightly.
 
“Well then I suppose you heard about him being scared of you?” A small nod was all she got in reply. Washu sighed heavily before continuing, “Don't let it get to you, he was terrified of all of us when we got here. Give him some time, he'll come around.” Ryo-ohki could only nod meekly as she considered this. “Why don't you go help Sasami get dinner ready?”
 
Ryo-ohki seemed to agree with the suggestion and headed out of the lab.
 
`I wish she didn't have to hear that, she just wants to help him. I need to get started on some nano-assemblers right away.' Washu got to work before Ryo-ohki was even completely out of the lab.
 
Sasami was right where Ryo-ohki expected her to be, cooking up a storm in the kitchen.
 
When Sasami noticed Ryo-ohki her face lit up, “Oh there you are Ryo-ohki, Tenchi just came out of the lab, did you see him while you were in there?”
 
At the mention of Tenchi in the lab Ryo-ohki started to frown while giving an affirmative “Nyaaa.”
 
Taking note of her friend's mood Sasami kept on, “Oh well, when he came out Mihoshi grabbed him and took him with her into town. She said that she wanted to go into town for something but she wouldn't tell me what for. She said that they wouldn't be home before dinner so not to wait for them. Did you want to help me make dinner?”
 
After giving an affirmative nod of her head Ryo-ohki was put to work by Sasami. She gave her friend a spoon and had her keep stirring the rice, soup, and vegetables that were going to be their dinner. Sasami set to work on the chicken while Ryo-ohki watched everything she did. She noted with envy how Sasami deftly sliced the chicken breast in rapid succession and then tossed the chunks in a pan. With a grace Ryo-ohki knew she couldn't match she watched as Sasami plucked up a half dozen bottles in rapid succession and poured various amounts of their contents into the pan without spilling a drop. Plucking up the pan with the vegetables Sasami dumped them into the pan with the chicken and placed the full pan back on the stove and indicated that Ryo-ohki should stir the pan. Sasami tossed the empty pan into the sink and filled it with water.
 
“Thanks for helping with dinner Ryo-ohki, it let's me get done a lot faster. Just keep stirring those while I go set the table, ok?”
 
Sasami set the table and soon after everyone was gathered for dinner, save Tenchi, Mihoshi, and Katsuhito who stayed in his shrine.
 
“Where is Lord Tenchi,” asked Ayeka as she sat down.
 
Sasami waited until they were seated before answering, “Mihoshi took him into town to run an errand.”
 
Ryo-ohki watched as both Ayeka and Ryoko's faces went from curious to rage in a split second. Both yelled at nearly the same instant, “He's where!?!?!”
 
Ryoko followed it almost immediately with, “I can't believe it, we were so busy up in the shrine that nobody was watching the bimbo.”
 
Hearing Ryoko's comment both Sasami and Ryo-ohki shot back, “Heeeyyy!” “Meeyyaa!”
 
Ayeka didn't even seem to notice this, “I can't believe that Lord Tenchi would choose to consort with her rather them me!”
 
“Both of you calm down, Mihoshi isn't trying to seduce him; she wouldn't know how to if she wanted to.” Washu's stern voice silenced everyone at the table. “She just needed some muscles and wanted some company while she ran an errand.”
 
“I still don't trust her.”
 
“Me either princess.”
 
While Ayeka and Ryoko continued to talk between themselves Washu turned to Sasami and said, “Dinner is excellent Sasami.”
 
“Thanks, Ryo-ohki helped out.”
 
“Well then thank you too Ryo-ohki.”
 
Ryo-ohki started to speak but then she thought better of it. Concentrating as hard as she could she telepathically said to Ryoko, `Tell Washu thank you for me.'
 
Ryoko's head snapped around to her partner, “Huh?”
 
`Tell Washu thank you for me, and tell Sasami I had a good time.'
 
“Ryoko, are you listening to me,” Ayeka asked when she noticed Ryoko's attention had shifted.
 
“Umm, Washu, Ryo-ohki says thank you and Sasami she says that she had a good time with you.”
 
Washu just took this in stride, “Your welcome Ryo-ohki.”
 
Sasami's reaction was somewhat more ebullient, “Ryo-ohki you can talk!?” Sasami tackled her friend with a flying hug.
 
Ryo-ohki wasn't able to decipher much of what Sasami was saying, she was too busy reflecting on the fact that Sasami had inherited some of her birth mother's strength and needed to get her off of her immediately.
 
“Umm Sasami, Ryo-ohki's wants you to let go, you're squashing her.”
 
Looking at the cabbit she was laying on Sasami just gave a little embarrassed “Oh!” before sitting up. “Why haven't you talked before?”
 
“She says it never occurred to her to do it this way.”
 
“Well, uhhh, what do you want to talk about Ryo-ohki,” asked Sasami.
 
Ryo-ohki seemed to ponder this for a moment before responding, “She says that she really wonders what Mihoshi and Tenchi are up too.”
 
“She's not the only one,” Ayeka chimed in. With that Ayeka and Ryoko's conversation was off and running again.
 
“I don't know, but we'll find out soon. Oh! Do you like dinner? Does everything taste ok, can I make you something?”
 
`Tell her I like dinner a lot, it tastes great,' Ryo-ohki told Ryoko, `and tell her that I would like to make an apple pie with her. Ryoko? Ryoko!'
 
`Not now squirt, I'm talking to Ayeka.'
 
`Well I can't talk to Sasami on my own.'
 
`Tough, you'll have to make do like always, I'm talking to Ayeka.'
 
`Ryoko, pleeeease?'
 
`Fine.' “Sasami, she says that she liked dinner and she wants to make a pie with you.”
 
`Thank you.'
 
`Yeah yeah,' was the only response forthcoming from Ryoko.
 
Sasami was beaming, “I'm glad you like dinner, we can make a pie tomorrow after lunch and we can have it at dinner.” Finally a damn broke in Sasami and she grabbed up Ryo-ohki in a hug with a loud giggle.
 
Eventually everyone settled down and finished dinner. When they went into the family room Washu got to the remote first and they spent the evening watching game shows. Ryo-ohki had no idea why everyone found them so funny but they seemed to be enjoying themselves. About nine o'clock Sasami declared that she was going to bed and Ryo-ohki followed her towards their room. They were sound asleep shortly.
 
The next day dawned overcast and gray, an altogether unpleasant looking morning. Breakfast was quickly made with Sasami and Ryo-ohki working together. When they emerged carrying the last of the food they found Katsuhito and the rest of the group already waiting. Breakfast started out quietly but Ryo-ohki noticed that Ayeka and Ryoko were not only sitting very close to Tenchi but they both kept casting spiteful glances at Mihoshi when they thought no one was looking. Mihoshi never seemed to catch them glancing at her but she definitely felt their wrath. Her normally cheerful face was downcast and she let out a dejected sigh from time to time. Apparently Ryo-ohki wasn't the only one who noticed this as Sasami piped up, “Where did you and Tenchi go last night Mihoshi.”
 
At the mention of her errand Mihoshi's face brightened up and she replied cheerfully, “It's a seeeecret.” She put her finger over her lips and shushed the table before breaking out in a giggle. When Ayeka and Ryoko noticed Tenchi smirking at Mihoshi's statement he received an elbow to the ribs from both of them.
 
When Tenchi finished coughing a wad of rice out of his airway he had inadvertently inhaled from the elbowing he said, “Well I'm going out to work, I'll be up later this afternoon grandfather.”
 
Katsuhito sat down his tea, “Very well Tenchi, be to the shrine by one o'clock.”
 
“It might take me longer then that.”
 
“One o'clock,” the priest said sternly.
 
“Yes grandfather.”
 
“Tenchi, me and Ryo-ohki can help you, that way you can be done by then,” offered Mihoshi.
 
While Ayeka and Ryoko didn't look thrilled about this Katsuhito cut them off before they could voice their opinions, “Come girls, we must spend extra time in meditation today.”
 
They both meekly replied, “Yes grandfather.”
 
After a quick change Mihoshi met Ryo-ohki outside of her room and together they headed out towards the fields. Ryo-ohki followed Mihoshi and before long noticed that they weren't heading towards a part of the carrot fields she was aware of. In fact her memory informed her that where they were heading wasn't even in the fields. Mihoshi seemed to know where they were going so Ryo-ohki trusted her and kept going. As they finished climbing a small rise Ryo-ohki saw where they were heading, a large open space between the edge of the forest and the fields. Scattered around the clearing were an assortment of tools, several large bags, a few plastic store bags, and quite a few small trees in pots. Mihoshi cheered, “Surprise, this is what Tenchi and I went and got last night. I thought that maybe we should start growing some of your new favorite foods. We've got apple and orange trees, broccoli seeds, and strawberry seeds. I know you haven't had oranges and strawberries but they are very good. I've got some in the fridge so you can try them at lunch!”
 
Ryo-ohki just stood in awe of the gift for a minute while she tried to process what she was feeling. Her chest was tight and she felt happy, and excited, and like she was going to pop. Not knowing what to do with herself she turned, grabbed hold of Mihoshi's leg as hard as she could and started to purr.
 
“Awww, Ryo-ohki, you're gonna make me cry.” She rubbed the cabbit's head affectionately, “I'm glad you're happy, now lets go plant those trees, ok?”
 
Ryo-ohki released Mihoshi and smiled up at her before nodding affirmatively, “Myyah!”
 
They set off towards the clearing at a quick trot; Ryo-ohki arrived first and ran up to one of the clusters of small trees. She started poking and looking at one of them before asking Mihoshi, “Merrraa?”
 
“It's an orange tree, but it won't have any fruit for a while. Normally it would take a couple years for these to get big enough but I talked to Washu and she says we can use her fertilizer on these and we should have some fruit in about a month.”
 
Ryo-ohki nodded and they set to work. For the next several hours, till lunch time, the two girls worked to get everything planted.
 
“…pass me those fertilizer pellets, each tree needs six.” “The hole needs to be deeper, the tree needs to sit all the way down in it.”
 
Soon everything was planted and the girls stood back to admire their work. The rows weren't as straight as Tenchi's carrot rows and several of the fruit trees were leaning slightly to the side, but the girls were quite proud of their handy work. Very satisfied with themselves they headed back to the house for lunch. They met Tenchi on the way back.
 
“Did you girls get those trees planted?”
 
Ryo-ohki just nodded while Mihoshi responded, “Yeah we got everything planted and ……”
 
While they walked along Ryo-ohki listened to the detective, `I wish I could tell her how much I appreciate the trees. I'll have to tell her the next time Ryoko's around. That was really nice of her.'
 
They cleaned up in the bathroom quickly and had lunch. Tenchi finished and headed for the shrine. Mihoshi excused herself explaining to Ryo-ohki that she had reports to catch up on and that they would spend time together later. Without any one around Ryo-ohki started to look for Sasami without even thinking about it, she just went. Her search yielded no results in the house so she headed outside. She found Sasami sitting on the dock, a small container at her feet, a palette in her hand and a large white canvas hovering in front of her. Ryo-ohki stopped just before walking onto the dock and watched as Sasami dabbed a paintbrush on the palette and placed some paint on the canvas. She seemed to consider it for a moment before repeating the process. Ryo-ohki stood their long enough to watch Sasami go through this process, paint-think, paint-think, twenty three times before she decided to move out onto the dock. She stopped close enough to peer over the princess' shoulder to look at what she was doing. To a human scholar the style would be similar to impressionist painting. To Ryo-ohki it looked like nothing more then a bunch of random splotches of paint, however the longer she stared at it the more it began to look like the lake and mountains behind it.
 
“Oh, Ryo-ohki, I didn't see you there! Did you get to see Mihoshi's surprise? Did you like it?”
 
She just smiled at her friend and said, “Miya!”
 
“Good, she told me this morning and made me promise not to tell you. What do you think of the painting?”
 
Ryo-ohki wasn't entirely sure what she thought but she didn't want to upset Sasami so she nodded vigorously and smiled.
 
“I'm glad, mommy Funaho said that it was important for me and Ayeka to learn an artistic talent. She said that if we only focused on politics we would wind up bitter old maids like father.”
 
“Nyaaah?”
 
“She said that we needed to remember that things in life can be beautiful, I don't know how you can forget that be she said you can. She lets us choose the art ourselves but we had lessons three times a week. I chose painting, Ayeka chose dancing.”
 
“Myow?”
 
“I wanted to dance too but mommy Misaki said that was only for big girls. So I chose painting instead, but when I get older I'm gonna learn to dance too.”
 
Ryo-ohki sat there listening to Sasami intently, `She looks so cute talking about this, I wonder why she couldn't learn to dance now. I wish Ryoko was around, I want to ask her why she's painting like this.' She let out a tired sigh with out thinking about it and Sasami immediately noticed.
 
“Oh I'm sorry Ryo-ohki. I didn't mean to bore you.”
 
Ryo-ohki shook her head furiously no.
 
“Well I've been out here for a long while and I'm kind of getting tired of this. Why don't we play hide and seek for a while?”
 
After a short explanation Ryo-ohki caught right on. She and Ryoko had played the game many times before, with people who wanted them dead. At first Ryo-ohki had trouble finding places to hide, she was more used to using moons, asteroids and nebula's for cover and she had dismissed many obvious hiding places because they didn't offer infra-red camouflage or something similar. However she quickly got the hang of it. After an hour of running and yelling they were both tired and they sat on the docks to relax.
 
“It's really pretty here Ryo-ohki.”
 
“Myya, miraw?”
 
“Jurai is pretty too, but around the palace everything is artificial, everything is supposed to look beautiful, here it just is.”
 
“Miyah?”
 
“That's why I was painting it.”
 
Ryo-ohki gave Sasami her best happy “Meeeeow,” while thinking, `This is driving me nuts, I can't talk to her. I've got to talk to Washu.'
 
“It's easier to paint here, everything is in perfect order in Jurai, it makes it hard to just paint it.” A slight pause, “Umm, what's the matter Ryo-ohki?”
 
`What? I thought I covered that up.' Looking at the little princess Ryo-ohki started to smile before deciding that her friend already had her. She pointed to her throat and uttered a pitiful “Merrrroowww.”
 
“Are you sad because you can't talk?”
 
Ryo-ohki just nodded.
 
“Well let's go talk to Washu, maybe there's something she can do.”
 
Ryo-ohki brightened up at this suggestion and soon they were standing in the lab looking for Washu.
 
“Washu, are you in here?”
 
“Meeerrraw, miya, myaaaa?”
 
From directly between and behind them a voice said cheerfully, and loudly, “I'm right here you two,” both the princess and the cabbit jumped, “what can I help you with.”
 
“Oh there you are,” Sasami put her hand on her chest and tried to slow her breathing. “We didn't see you there.”
 
“Because I wasn't here, what can I do for you two?”
 
“Well Ryo-ohki has something she wants to ask you.”
 
“Oh really?”
 
“Myah!” She started to gesture towards her throat, `I can't talk.'
 
“Ahh, so you want to learn to talk?”
 
Both Sasami and Ryo-ohki nodded vigorously.
 
“Well that's going to be a bit of a problem.” The pair looked crestfallen. “You see, Ryo-ohki has no vocal cords, at least not a set that can create a humanoid voice.”
 
Washu watched as Sasami put her arm around Ryo-ohki and told her, “It's ok, I'm sure we'll figure out something.”
 
Washu just smiled, “Actually I already saw this coming and I started on a solution.”
 
“Really Washu?”
 
“Oh course, I'm the greatest!”
 
Her audience seemed unimpressed.
 
“Oh fine, follow me.” She led them deeper into the lab until they came to an area Ryo-ohki was familiar with, the area Washu conducted her check ups in. “Last check up I figured that Ryo-ohki might want something like this done soon. I started creating a batch of nano-assemblers after she left. I'll inject them into Ryo-ohki and they'll rebuild what vocal cords she does have into something she can use to talk with. Of course she'll actually have to learn how use them then but before any of that can happen I have to do some tests and fine tuning.”
 
“Will this take long?”
 
“Actually yes it will, I want to be very careful about this so the tests will have to be very accurate. You can run along, this will probably take the rest of the day.”
 
Sasami glanced at Ryo-ohki who looked excited and anxious before answering Washu, “I'll stay and keep Ryo-ohki company if it's ok with you.”
 
Seeing how reassured Ryo-ohki seemed to be at the prospect of the princess staying she said, “Of course, I can always use another lab assistant!”
 
Over the next several hours Washu ran test after test on Ryo-ohki and made adjustments to the nano-assemblers she had in a hypo-spray. The only interruption came when Ryoko came looking for Sasami to see what was for dinner. Sasami scampered out of the lab and was back in ten minutes. “Sorry, Ryo-ohki I won't leave again.”
 
Ryo-ohki just smiled at her and squeezed her hand.
 
Much later that night Washu picked up the hypo-spray and approached the table where Ryo-ohki lay. “Well that's it. Only thing left to do is get it started. You ready?”
 
Ryo-ohki looked over at Sasami who squeezed her hand in response. She looked back at Washu, “Nya!”
 
Washu quickly injected the contents of the hypo into Ryo-ohki's neck. “Ok, all done. It should take about twenty four hours or so for them to get their work done. Until then your throat will be very sore so you should try not to talk. If you do there is a good chance that you will damage the work they're doing. Now both of you get out of here and get to sleep, its way past both of your bed times.”
 
Both girls left the lab and did as they were told.
 
Washu watched them leave, “You plan and plan and nothing ever turns out the way you expect it.” A smile crossed her face as she decided to call it a night as well.
 
Then next morning dawned bright and cheerful, and breakfast went quickly with everyone dispersing after it, Mihoshi heading off to finish her reports, Washu to her lab, and Tenchi, Ryoko, and Ayeka to the shrine. Ryo-ohki and Sasami started to clean up the mess.
 
Sasami took a stack of plates from Ryo-ohki and loaded them into the dishwasher, “What do you want to do today?”
 
She consider this as she fetched another load of dishes, when she had handed the last one off to Sasami and the dishwasher was started she grabbed Sasami's sleeve and pulled her to the back porch, gesturing up towards the shrine.
 
“You want to go up to the shrine? What for?”
 
Without the ability to speak or even miyah all Ryo-ohki could do was just shrug and hope it would be enough. `I just want to know what they're doing up there.'
 
For a moment Sasami considered refusing but she had to admit that she had nothing better to do, she smiled at her friend and said, “Ok, let's go. I've kind of wondered what they do up there all day.” The pair set off for the shrine. On the long climb up the stairs they had to stop several times.
 
`Why did they build this shrine so high up,' thought Ryo-ohki as both she and Sasami sat on a step panting. `I wonder if Ayeka and Tenchi have Ryoko phase them up here every morning. This would be a lot easier if my legs were longer.' They kept up the trek and before too long they arrived at the top, only to find it deserted. They decided to look for Tenchi around back and found him sweeping part of the courtyard. For a few moments they just stood their watching him go about his duties. When Ryo-ohki looked over at her friend she noted that Sasami had a look on her face not too unlike the look Ayeka usually had when she just watched Tenchi. Ryo-ohki wasn't sure why, but it didn't thrill her. Finally Sasami finished staring and started to head over towards Tenchi.
 
When he noticed them coming towards him Tenchi turned and said, “Oh hello Sasami, what brings you up here?”
 
“Ryo-ohki and I were wondering what you all did up here all day.”
 
“I can't tell you what Ayeka and Ryoko do; Grandfather doesn't let me see them up here. As for me, well mostly I do chores and Grandfather tutors me in using my sword.”
 
“Do you think Grandfather will let us talk to Ayeka and Ryoko?”
 
“I don't know, though I would guess the problem with me seeing them is that I'm a distraction, since they're not fighting over you I don't think it would be a problem.”
 
“Ok, bye Tenchi,” said Sasami as she led Ryo-ohki towards the office. As they drew close Ryo-ohki decided that they might want to take a peek before asking Katsuhito if they could come in, that way they might have some idea what was going on even if he ran them off. Before Sasami could bound up the stairs Ryo-ohki grabbed her sleeve and stopped her.
 
“What is it Ryo-chan?”
 
She gestured towards the side of the office, remembering Washu's warning and keeping silent. Sasami looked confused but followed her anyways. On the back side of the office the pair found a window with a stack of logs, they quickly clambered up on top of the pile and peered over the bottom of the window. Inside they spied Ayeka and Ryoko sitting on either end of a low table with Katsuhito between them facing the window. When they first notice Katsuhito they had ducked back down but they realized he had his eyes closed as did Ayeka and Ryoko. Peeking back up Sasami told her companion, “I think they're meditating.”
 
In response Ryo-ohki just shook her head.
 
Katsuhito's instructed, “Clear your mind, focus on the source of your anger. Understand it and deal with it but do not let it control you. Focus on ways to express your displeasure in other ways. If the both of you can do this you will be that much closer to your goal.”
 
“Yes Grandfather,” was Ayeka's response.
 
“I'll try,” was all Ryoko had to offer.
 
It was this moment that Katsuhito opened one of his eyes and looked directly at the two young observers in the window. They both gulped and started to draw back, then the old priest winked at them and they both fell over backwards.
 
“What was that?” Both of Katsuhito's students exclaimed.
 
“Nothing, now focus.”
 
“Yes Sensei.”
 
Outside Ryo-ohki and Sasami were untangling themselves from the pile they had landed in. “Let's get out of here,” Sasami whispered.
 
Ryo-ohki agreed by hopping up and making a beeline for the stairs. As they both started down she observed, `It's a lot easier going down then up.' Halfway down they ran into Mihoshi who was crossing the stairs at one of the landings.
 
“Oh hello Mihoshi, what are you doing up here?”
 
“I thought I saw some birds that looked like the kind that lived near my house on Seniwa. I came up here to see if I could find them.”
 
“Can we help?”
 
“Sure!”
 
“What did they look like?”
 
“They're about a meter long and mostly blue but they have bright red and yellow tail feathers. They flew up to this area but I haven't been able to find them. I haven't been able to find a single nest anywhere on the ground.”
 
The next hour was spent in a search that yielded nothing except another sighting of the large birds Mihoshi was hunting. Finally after looking under the umpteenth bush Sasami said, “Wait, don't birds on this planet live in the trees?”
 
“The trees? Wouldn't it be hard to build a nest up there?”
 
“I guess but I think that's where they live.”
 
“Well I think we would have noticed them if we had walked anywhere near them. They were awful big.”
 
“Yeah, maybe they just flew in here looking for food.”
 
“Still, I miss getting to see birds like that. Why don't we head back home, it's getting late and it looks like it's going to rain soon.” The three of them headed back down to the house and at Sasami's suggestion started to watch T.V. Mihoshi fetched them some snacks for lunch and the three spent the next hour relaxing in front of the T.V. While they were there it started to rain and shortly the rhythmic noise of it had caused Mihoshi to fall asleep. Soon the constant drone of Mihoshi's soft snores had lulled Sasami to sleep, her head on Mihoshi's lap. Noticing her two companions slumber Ryo-ohki decided that a nap sounded good to her as well.
 
Tenchi, Ayeka, and Ryoko came charging in the house soaking wet.
 
“I told him it was going to pour and I begged him to let us go, but oh no. He has to start in on his, “We don't always get to pick our battlefields” routine and now look at us,” Tenchi complained as he tossed off his shoes.
 
“Miss Ryoko I would like to thank you for helping us down from the shrine,” said Ayeka.
 
“Your welcome princess, now Tenchi let's get you out of those clothes before you catch cold,” said Ryoko as she eyed Tenchi hungrily.
 
“Miss Ryoko!”
 
“Hey princess, you can help too if you want,” said Ryoko with a sly grin.
 
“Well, perhaps…”
 
Before Tenchi could squeak out his protest Washu stuck her head out of the family room and hissed sternly at them, “Hey, take it to the onsen you three, Mihoshi, Sasami and Ryo-ohki are trying to take a nap in here.”
 
Tenchi took the girls momentary distraction as his chance to make his escape.
 
“Way to go Mom,” Ryoko sneered when she noticed Tenchi had disappeared.
 
“Not my fault you can't keep a man,” she muttered as she headed back into towards her lab.
 
“What time is it,” ask Ryoko.
 
“About five o'clock, why,” answered Ayeka.
 
“Because if Sasami is taking a nap who's cooking dinner?”
 
“Maybe we should wake her up.”
 
“Yeah, wouldn't want her to stay up all night would we.”
 
Ryoko and Ayeka went into the family room and found a pile of girls asleep on the couch; both Sasami and Ryo-ohki's heads were lying with their heads on Mihoshi's lap while the blonde had her head lying on the back of the couch. As the pair snuck around the front Ayeka kicked a plate and fork that was lying on the floor. The clattering awoke Sasami and Ryo-ohki, whose head snapped up immediately, fixing the intruding pair with a heavy lidded stare.
 
“Nyyyaaaa,” the cabbit groaned.
 
`Shhhh, it's five o'clock,' answered Ryoko.
 
`Why are you creeping around?'
 
`We need to wake up Sasami so she can make dinner.'
 
`Make it yourself; we were having a good nap.' Which was the truth, in fact the combination of the rain, Mihoshi's snoring and grumbling, and Sasami's proximity had led to one of the best naps Ryo-ohki could remember.
 
`Do you really wanna eat mine or Ayeka's cooking?'
 
She considered this for a moment before making a disgusted face and replying, `Fine, but you wake her up, I'm not doing it.'
 
`Fine,' drawled Ryoko, “Sasami, time to wake up,” she cooed.
 
Ayeka chimed in, “Yes, time to wake up Sasami.”
 
Sasami started to stir while Mihoshi continued her soft snoring. “What time is it?”
 
“Almost five,” her sister answered.
 
“Five?! Oh my, dinner!” Sasami shot forward and over Mihoshi who didn't even budge.
 
Ryo-ohki shot a venomous glare at her partner and followed after Sasami.
 
“What's her problem,” asked Ayeka.
 
“Just torqued cause we interrupted her nap.”
 
“Well that's no reason to be rude.”
 
When the table was set and Ryo-ohki had woken up Mihoshi everyone sat down to dinner.
 
“Are these leftovers Sasami,” queried Tenchi.
 
“Yeah, I didn't have enough time to fix anything and we had enough for a whole meal so I just heated them up.”
 
“Well it's still good,” said Tenchi as he bit into another piece of unagi.
 
Ryo-ohki finished slurping up a piece of stir-fried beef before agreeing, “Meeerrroow!”
 
As dinner wound down Tenchi proposed something, “I was thinking, you all have been here for a long while and we haven't really gone out and done anything together.” The only sound that could be heard in the room was Ryo-ohki's determined munching on an apple core. “Since it's stopped raining I figured that maybe, we, I mean us, all of us could go out to the movies.”
 
Tenchi cringed down and closed his eyes but he still wasn't ready for the cacophony of sound that assaulted him. “Tenchi, finally some time alone….,” “Lord Tenchi I would be honored to acc….,” “I don't have any patrols today so…” “…just let me clean up and I can…” Washu simply stayed where she was and smiled while Ryo-ohki confoundedly at the pile of feminine flesh Tenchi was buried under.
 
“Wait a minute, who were you talking to,” asked Ryoko.
 
A grinning Washu cut off Tenchi before he could answer, “He asked all of us.”
 
“What,” she looked down at Tenchi who was lying between her arms, “Wouldn't you rather spend time aloooone with me,” she asked.
 
“You should be happy he chooses to consort with you at all,” stated Ayeka as she pushed herself up off the floor.
 
Mihoshi gave Tenchi a tight hug before levering herself up, “I'm just happy he's consorting with me.”
 
“What are we gonna go see,” asked Washu as everyone returned to their seats.
 
“Well I got a paper. I figured we would decide together.”
 
Ryo-ohki watched as everyone started to make their opinions known, Ryoko, Ayeka, and Tenchi wanted to go see a new action movie while Mihoshi and Sasami wanted to see an anime.
 
“Come on Mihoshi, you'll have fun, it's exciting and there will be a lot of explosions and stunts,” assured Tenchi.
 
She cast a concerned glace at Sasami, “Well what about Sasami, will it be ok if she comes to see it?”
 
“She'll be fine, let's go,” said Ryoko just before a small voice intruded on her thoughts.
 
`I don't want to see that one.'
 
`We'll give you some carrots, you'll be fine.'
 
`No I won't Ryoko; I don't want to see that one.' The room had become very quiet as the pair stared intently at each other.
 
`Ryo-ohki, how do you know what you want to see.'
 
Ryo-ohki shot Ryoko a venomous glare, `I just do, how do you know what you want to see?'
 
`Don't even start with me fuzz ball…,' Ryoko responded as she jabbed a finger into a very annoyed Ryo-ohki's chest.
 
Mihoshi was the first to break the silence, “Ano….what's going on with them,” asked Mihoshi.
 
“Looks like they're having an argument,” said Washu as she took a sip of tea.
 
`Tell them.'
 
`Do it yourself!'
 
A small growl emanated from Ryo-ohki's chest before she turned to the rest of the table and gave a “Meeerrryahh…ack…,” from there she degenerated into coughing fits.
 
Sasami held onto her friend as the coughing subsided and Washu called her holo-top into being. After a few quick taps on its keyboard she declared, “The nano-assemblers aren't done yet, it will be a few more hours.”
 
“Nano-assemblers? What's going on Washu,” asked Tenchi.
 
Washu dismissed her holo-top before explaining, “Ryo-ohki here is tired of having to meow and hope you understand her. She asked me alter her vocal cords so she could have a humanoid voce. Naturally I agreed to do it.”
 
The stunned roar that emanated from Ryoko, Ayeka, and Tenchi drowned out Mihoshi's gleeful squeal as she leaned over and hugged Ryo-ohki.
 
`Are you going to tell them what she said,' Washu asked Ryoko across their link.
 
`I am not going to be that hairball's translator.'
 
`You will be for now, she won't need one in a few days,' Washu declared with as much force as she could muster.
 
Ryoko just glared at her mother, `No way, I'm not doing it.'
 
`What has she ever asked of you? Nothing, all she wants you to do is talk for her while she can't.'
 
`She's a cabbit; all she wants from me is carrots and a place to nap.'
 
`Just do it, or I make your next checkup go very badly. I thought you understood what's happening to her, the last thing she needs is her partner making her life more difficult.'
 
Ryoko growled lowly, `Fine, but this better be over quick.' “Ryo-ohki said she doesn't want to see that movie.”
 
Tenchi just looked confused, “Huh?”
 
“What makes her think she has a say in what we see,” demanded Ayeka.
 
Mihoshi watched the hard fought for détente starting to dissolve in front of her eyes. She didn't want to see everyone start fighting again; if they did they might not go see a movie at all. She decided to try to head things off before they got worse, “Ryo-ohki, I`m sure you'll like this movie, and next time we can go see one you like more ok?”
 
Ryo-ohki didn't look convinced but when she saw Sasami's nervous look she relented.
 
“She says she guesses it will be fine.”
 
“Excellent, let us be on our way,” said Ayeka.
 
“We'll take the van, and remember, everyone has to be on their best behavior, that means no flying, no logs, no holo-top, and no changing form while we're in town,” Tenchi said as he looked around at the group.
 
Ryoko looked unfazed, “Yeah, yeah, don't worry so much.”
 
“I do know how to act in public,” said Ayeka huffily.
 
“Ryo-ohki says she's been into town before, she knows the rules.”
 
“Just so long as everyone is clear, let's get going.”
 
They piled into the van, Tenchi in the driver's seat, Washu in the passenger seat, Sasami and Ryo-ohki in the middle, and Ayeka and Ryoko in the back. At first the ride was quiet but soon Ryoko broke it with a question that had crossed all their minds at some point, “So Tenchi, what made you decide to ask us to go on this date?”
 
“Well, to be honest I was getting bored in the house and I wanted to get out for an evening. I realized we had never gone out and done anything as a group so I figured we could all go see a movie.”
 
A bemused Washu asked, “Bored? You obviously haven't been paying attention have you?”
 
“Oh no, I have. You could say that I've had my tolerance for the bizarre ramped up in the last couple months.”
 
“Is that an invitation to make your life more interesting,” purred Ryoko.
 
Tenchi braced for the outburst he fully expected to follow from Ayeka. Instead he heard Mihoshi chime in, “Yeah, maybe we need spice things up if you're so bored.”
 
Ayeka finally made her feelings known, “I have a few ideas of my own to that effect.”
 
Sasami just giggled and Washu leered at an uneasy Tenchi while Ryo-ohki looked around thoroughly confused. `What are they talking about, and why does Sasami find it so funny?' She sighed and turned to look out the window. `Still it's nice to get to go out with everyone even if it is to that movie.'
 
When they arrived at the theatre they piled out and made their way to the ticket line. `Why is everyone staring at us,' thought Ryo-ohki noticing the strange looks the group was getting.
 
Sasami was noticing the attention they were receiving as well and when she say the look on Ryo-ohki's face she assured her, “Don't worry, we just look a little different then everyone else, I think.” Indeed the group's wild assortment of hair styles and hues stood out amongst a sea of mainly brown and black. With tickets in hand they made their way inside to the snack bar which presented Ryo-ohki with another conundrum.
 
“Pick whatever you girls want, you too Ryo-ohki,” Tenchi instructed. While the others chose their fill of popcorn, soda, and candy Ryo-ohki just stood and wondered what to pick with her face pressed to the glass with her right pointer finger in her mouth.
 
Her consideration was interrupted as a feminine voice exclaimed, “Aren't you just the cutest little thing!” Ryo-ohki looked up to see a young girl in the movie theatre's uniform leaning over the counter looking down at her. “Can't figure out what you want?” The cabbit just shook her head affirmatively. “Well I tell you what; I bet you'd like this chocolate bar, how about it?”
 
Ryo-ohki looked over at Sasami and seeing no objections she looked up, her finger still in her mouth, and nodded affirmatively. The attendant just smiled and put the chocolate bar in the growing pile of snacks and soda. After Tenchi deposited a pile of yen on the counter the girls collected their goodies and made their way to the theatre. As they climbed the stairs to their seats Ayeka popped the inevitable question, “Where is everyone sitting?”
 
Ryoko immediately grabbed Tenchi nearly causing him to lose his popcorn and soda, “You know where I'm sitting.” She then bent down and nipped at Tenchi's ear.
 
Ayeka started to well up and looked on the verge of an explosion before she saw the concern in Tenchi's eyes. She shot Ryoko an evil glare before hooking one of her arms into one of Tenchi's, “Well you know where I will be as well, at Lord Tenchi's side.”
 
A now blushing Tenchi extricated himself and started to move down an aisle to the center. As Ryo-ohki watched Ryoko and Ayeka follow them she heard Mihoshi say, “Let's sit down here and let them be by themselves.”
 
Seeing how the pair draped themselves all over the young man between them Washu let loose a sigh, “Yes, leave them to their Tenchi groping contest, we'll actually watch the movie.”
 
Sasami led them into the row followed by Ryo-ohki, Washu and finally Mihoshi. Sasami handed Ryo-ohki her candy and asked Washu, “This is like TV right? It's not holographic.”
 
“No, not holographic, though there is something to be said for non-interactive entertainment. The last holo-movie I saw was a dramatization of the Khar-Toba expedition into the deserts of Kharak. The creator's idea of a good story was to have the participant spend five hours walking through the desert, then listen to archeologists whining amongst themselves for another two hours, and finally spending another three listening to overweight politician's make schemes so simpleminded a child could unravel them. Would you believe she won an award for that?”
 
“Shh, the movie's starting.”
 
The little scientist turned around and stuck her tongue out at elder princess who had shushed her. Ayeka started, “Such insolenc…” Until she caught sight of Ryoko gently shaking her head no.
 
Washu just smirked, “We're you saying something Ayeka?”
 
“Nothing at all Washu.”
 
“Enjoy the movie then princess.”
 
As everyone settled down to watch the previews Ryo-ohki started to fight with the wrapper of her chocolate bar. `These fingers are just not suited for this kind of work,' she thought as she kept trying to get a finger tip under the wrapper to start peeling it. `It's like trying to force your way into a sealed cargo hold.'
 
“It would be easier to do if you had adult fingers,” said Washu as she plucked the candy bar from Ryo-ohki's paws and started to unwrap it for her. “There you go.”
 
Ryo-ohki smiled in gratitude before taking a bite. `What is this?!' `Extremely high fructose content, some carbohydrates, minimal nutritional value.' `It's good,' she exclaimed to herself as her nimble tongue started to clean the remaining traces of the substance from her mouth. She quickly consumed the remaining part of the bar. She had started to look around at what everyone else was eating when a large explosion on the movie screen distracted her. `I don't see what the big deal is, nothing in infra-red, nothing in UV, it's just light and noise.' Turning her attention back to the issue of new foods she focused on the tub of popcorn that Sasami was munching on. She reached over, grabbed a handful, and started to eat.
 
`This is different, doesn't really taste like anything, it's just salty.' `Some carbohydrates, minimal nutritional value.' She grabbed another handful and continued eating. `It's not bad but parts of these things keep getting stuck in my teeth.' After a little more sampling, some of Washu's licorice, a couple of Mihoshi's jellybeans, and a few sips of Sasami's soda Ryo-ohki came to the conclusion that part of the reason to come to the movies was the food. With no more things to try Ryo-ohki started paying attention to the movie. `I still don't know what's so great about it, but everyone else seems to be enjoying themselves.'
 
The rest of the movie passed quickly from Ryo-ohki's point of view. She noticed Sasami seemed to jump every time there was an explosion or gun fire. Mihoshi squealed in terror when the bad guy, at least Ryo-ohki assumed he was the bad guy, everyone cheered when he died, jumped out and surprised the good guys. During a lull in the action she turned around and saw Ryoko and Ayeka snuggled up on either side of Tenchi, they seemed too engrossed in the movie to care about each other.
 
When the movie ended they left and got in the van for the trip back home.
 
“Well that sucked,” said Ryoko from the back seat.
 
Mihoshi disagreed, “I don't know I thought it was ok.”
 
“Same here, I don't think it's going to win any awards, but it wasn't so bad.”
 
“I have to disagree Lord Tenchi, that movie was not at all good.”
 
Washu made her feelings known, “It was mindless entertainment, take it for what it is and it wasn't that bad.”
 
“What did you think Ryo-ohki,” Sasami asked.
 
The small girl just shrugged, and Ryoko supplied, “She says she didn't understand what was going on and didn't care for it that much.”
 
Ayeka muttered, “She's a ball of fuzz, of course she didn't get it.”
 
Ryoko just snickered, “Bingo.”
 
`Would it kill you to be nice to her?'
 
Ryoko's head snapped around to look in the rear view mirror and glare at her mother, `Stay outta my head shorty.'
 
`That's mommy to you my little Ryoko,' Washu just grinned which only annoyed Ryoko more.
 
When they arrived home it was late and everyone started to turn in. The girls took a quick bath and before they headed for their rooms Washu stopped Ryo-ohki. “I want to see you first thing after breakfast alright?”
 
“Nya,” and with that she headed up to her room for bed. Soon Ryo-ohki was in bed curled up next to Sasami. `I like this better then when I'm a cabbit,' she thought as she felt Sasami's breathing slow and deepen. Just like always Sasami reached around to find her fuzzy friend, however when she found her now Sasami had to pull herself up to her friend. Ryo-ohki fell asleep with a smile on her face and her favorite Juraian snuggled up against her back.
 
=========================================================
 
Omake #1)
 
Tenchi eyed the bracelet suspiciously before taking it and starting to leave without looking back at Washu. He had only taken three steps before he heard a very seductive voice purr, “Tenchi….” His mind and his body were instantly offering differing solutions as to how to handle this. His body won out. He slowly turned to see an adult Washu in her nurse outfit twirling a stethoscope. “Tenchi, I can assure you that that no one in this house wants to hurt you.” She closed the distance between them and had one of her fingers trace a path along her collar bone and down the open front of her uniform. “In faaaact, we all want to do niiicce things to you Tenchi. Very. Nice. Things.” As she uttered the last word her finger caught the button at the high point of her cleavage and popped it free. At this point Tenchi's mind won out over his body and he bolted for the door.
 
“Oh no you don't,” Washu said as she slammed her hand down on a large red button on the nearest console. Tenchi was instantly seized by several large tentacles that stripped off his clothes and held him suspended in the middle of the lab. Washu slowly came around in front of him and said, “Well Tenchi, since this doesn't do anything for you I'm going to find out what does.”
 
With a quick flash she changed outfits into a tight leather dominatrix outfit complete with whip, “Leather?” Tenchi violently shook his head no.
 
Another flash, this time into a prostitute's get up, “Trashy?' Another definite no.
 
Flash, this time to a French maid's outfit, “Maids?” No.
 
“Schoolgirl?”
 
No.
 
“Teacher?”
 
No.
 
“Office lady?”
 
No.
 
“Warrior?”
 
No.
 
“Barmaid?”
 
No.
 
“No? Well what the hell are you, a granny banger, a chubby chaser, what?! What does it for you?”
 
Tenchi couldn't look her in the face when he muttered softly, “Boys.” He had to spend the next two hours waiting for Washu to regain consciousness before he could get away.
 
=========================================================
Author's Notes (a.k.a. My feeble attempt to explain away how much this sucked.) V1.6.1 Beta
 
Acknowledgements:
Ministry Agent - For encouraging me to try and rehabilitate this idea, for reading this crap nearly once a week and telling me what he honestly thinks, and a big thank you for the opening scene.
Crion - Supplied lots of info on Japanese culture and was an early reader
Marik_K - Another early reader and commentator
Lighthawk - I have lots of prereaders.
Warpwizard - One of the lemon lords even read this before you did.
 
1) Bonus points if you get the Khar-Toba and Kharak reference.
 
Final Random Thought: Mihoshi is very, very hot.
 
Feedback: bsmartfanfic@yahoo.com
www.livejournal.com/~bsmart
You don't need to tell me I suck, I'm well aware of that.