Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Therapy: Tenchi Style ❯ Mihoshi ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Therapy: Tenchi Style
Chapter 2: Mihoshi
 
After my first session with Kiyone it was only logical that a session with her other half would follow. Why can't I ever have a session with someone without all their friends needing my advice as well? When I received the meek call from Mihoshi, begging me to take her on as a patient, I knew other people would follow. I just couldn't say no to her tearful pleas. I hate my soft hearted side sometimes.
 
The day of Mihoshi's session was just like any other. I awoke unhappily to the sound of a lawn mower directly outside my bedroom wall. Why everyone else in the world believes ten in the morning is a good time for yard work is beyond me. Personally, I think they're all mad. No one should ever get up before noon!
 
After dragging myself from bed, I drug myself to a light breakfast and then to an invigorating shower.
 
I caught my first glimpse of my newest patient upon reentering my room in a towel (on my head) and a yellow terrycloth wrap around robe (on my body). Blinking, I asked the cute blue-eyed blonde, “Umm.... Who are you?”
 
Grinning brightly, Mihoshi had answered, “My name's Mihoshi! I had an appointment with you today. Is this a bad time?”
 
After glancing at a clock, I sighed, “No, you're right on time.” By that time, it was time for my one o'clock. I made a mental note to stop making appointments so early in the day. One o'clock is ridiculously early!
 
Once I knew my guest's identity, I closed and locked my door for privacy. Few things look more unprofessional than having your younger brother burst in and interrupt during a breakthrough. By-the-by, leave my towels alone.
 
“Mihoshi,” I smiled, addressing the woman once again, “Why don't you have a seat, and we can get started?”
 
Grinning brightly, Mihoshi nodded and took the offered seat. “So, like how does this therapy thing work exactly?”
 
I chuckled to myself, “Well, basically you just talk to me, tell me what's on your heart and mind, especially the things that are bothering you. Generally, I'll decide you're a nut job, find someway of changing your perspective and by doing so improve the quality of your life without taking any major steps to alleviate any of your problems personally.”
 
“Oh,” came Mihoshi's reply.
 
I waited a few moments for my blondest patient to continue before taking this session under control myself. “So, why did you make this appointment anyway? Has something or someone been bugging you lately?” Generally, in my experience, it usually turns out to be the “someone” that is bothering my patients. Take Mihoshi for example. She had been irritating the fool out of Kiyone.
 
“Actually,” Mihoshi's face turned suddenly serious, “I have more of a stereo-type problem.”
 
My brow lifted subconsciously at the sudden change in my client. “What kind of a stereo-type problem are you having?”
 
“Well,” Mihoshi began again. “As you can plainly see, I have blonde hair.” She swirled a curly strand between her fingers for emphasis. “Add to my hair color the fact that I am naturally clumsy, and you have a stereo-type seemingly realized.” Mihoshi gave a long sigh. “When my friends see me, they don't see me. They see a `blonde'. The friends I have made like me as a dumb blonde and nothing more.
 
“I guess I'm just sick and tired of no one taking me seriously or seeing me for who I am. I have things to offer too. But, I'm afraid that if I reveal the real me, the friendships I have cultivated will at the very least be diminished, if not extinguished all together.
 
“Help me, please.” Mihoshi turned her pleading eyes to me. How could I possibly say “no” to that? Well, actually I have no problem resisting “puppy eyes”, but if I wanted to be paid, turning her away wouldn't do at all.
 
“So, what you're saying is that you're fearful of rejection should you choose to shatter everyone's image of you?” I questioned my assessment of the situation, receiving a thoughtful nod from Mihoshi.
 
“Precisely,” came the concise reply.
 
“I see.” I mused one how I would answer. “Really, the only thing I can say is `To thine own self be true'. Do you follow?”
 
Mihoshi nodded tentatively. “I think so.”
 
“Basically, if you always try to live your life according to other people's interpretations and expectations, you will always fall short. Every time. Not only that, but you'll be miserable always having to lock away the truth, exchanging it for a lie. Eventually, it's enough to drive a person insane.
 
“If you want to ever truly be happy, which obviously you currently aren't, hence our visit, you are going to have to find the courage to just be yourself. If won't be easy, but in the end, you'll be much happier for it.” I watched my client as my words sand into her pretty blonde head.
 
“And, if my friends leave me, they aren't the kind of friends I need anyway.” Mihoshi smiled as she put it all together for herself. “I do believe I understand what you mean.”
 
Standing and offering me a hand, which I graciously shook, Mihoshi smiled even more brightly. “I'm going to go and try out being the real me. If I have any issues?”
 
“Just call,” I smiled, escorting the newly emerged butterfly to my door.
 
“Thank you for all your help.” And with that, one of my kindest, not to mention sanest, clients departed, tripping over her own two feet and landing flat on her face on the way. “For that, I suggest dance, gymnastics or martial arts lessons!” I called as she picked herself up from the floor and departed for good with a friendly wave over her shoulder.
 
I wondered if Kiyone and she were still having issues. With a shrug, I figured even if they were, said problems should all but disappear with the emergence of the real Mihoshi. Two birds with one stone. It doesn't get any better. At that moment, I did go ahead and resign myself to helping the rest of the crew while at it though. I knew they were coming, sooner or later, they were coming. Had I only known….