The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Choices of the Heart ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ayaaa! I finally updated! I'm so sorry about the long wait, but I got really horrible writer's block, plus I've had a lot of crap going on. Anyway here it is.
Thank you to Leo the Great for your review, and I'd have to agree, that's probably my favorite part too. Lmao. I'd actually had that pointed out before, and thought I had fixed it, but guess not. *smacks self in forehead*
As for Cov3rt Snip3r, in regards to your question, now that I've gotten over my little bump, I will try to update every 2 weeks. No guarantees though, since I have a lot going on. I'll try though, and thank you for your continued support. I don't mind multiple reviews, cause they let me know you're still reading. Thanks! ^___^
Chapter 5:
Two weeks dragged by for Malon. She still found herself expecting Link to randomly pop up to visit her, and her heart ached painfully every time she saw Epona galloping out of the ranch. She hadn't realized how much she had grown to depend on Link's visits to brighten up the hard, boring days at the ranch. Why was it that everything seemed to be going terribly wrong for her and Link? Were the goddesses really that against her being with him? She frowned. Instead, he was off playing around with Princess Zelda. She already had wealth and beauty. Why did she get to have Link as well?
“Stop staring off into space and get to work already!” an annoyed voice said behind her.
Malon turned around to see Ingo standing behind her, glaring at her with his arms crossed over his chest. She was standing in front of a trough in the barn, holding a bucket of water. She had zoned out for probably about the zillionth time the past couple of weeks, thinking about Link again. How annoying. She turned back around and emptied the bucket into the trough.
Why was she getting so jealous of Zelda anyway? She knew they were working hard, trying to find Ladarius so she and Link could be safe. Since when did she get jealous, anyway? Malon sighed, getting the feeling she had already had this conversation with herself a hundred times before.
Ingo had moved around her by this time, going about his own chores and muttering under his breath as he always did. Malon turned to head out the door.
“That kid who's always coming around here. I haven't seen him in awhile,” Ingo said.
Malon stopped in her tracks and glanced back at him. He did not look up at her. Was Ingo actually concerned about her? She smiled and shook her head, almost laughing at the thought. More likely he was glad Link hadn't been around, and was making sure he wouldn't be anytime soon.
“He's just been busy,” Malon said.
Ingo grunted in reply, and Malon continued out of the barn. She wondered how things were going with the search for Ladarius. She hadn't heard from any of them at all. Had they made any progress, or were they just searching blindly?
Malon bent and picked up a stone in front of her toe, giving it a fling and sending it soaring over the tall fence. It would be nice if they would at least give her an update. For a moment, she considered going to the castle and asking about it, but Link was probably there. Maybe she was just destined to stay in the dark. She sighed again as Epona came trotting into the ranch, and went to care for the mare.
---
“Two weeks, and we haven't learned anything at all!” Link proclaimed again, slamming a fist against the stone wall of the courtyard. “How long is this going to go on?”
Zelda looked up from where she was kneeling beside the flower bed. “Ren wanted us to meet him here so he could tell us something. Maybe he's found something out.”
Link crossed his arms and sat down on the stone steps. “Last time he wanted to tell us something, it was just that he'd searched through all the records and hadn't found anything. Like we need to be told what we haven't found!”
Zelda fingered a small yellow daisy. She understood Link's annoyance. She was starting to feel a little hopeless herself. It did seem like they had searched everywhere they could think of, which wasn't much, and still they had found nothing. They were making no progress at all, and in the meantime the wear the wait was having on Link's mind was growing more and more apparent.
Link's nightmares had steadily gotten worse, more vivid and more frequent, so that sometimes when he just closed his eyes for a second, she saw his face whiten and his eyes would jerk open almost immediately. Dark circles hung around his eyes, and he looked weary and exhausted. Zelda's face tightened with worry. It was almost like Ladarius was doing this on purpose, covering his tracks completely while they searched hopelessly, and steadily making Link's nightmares worse and worse, so that his mind's defenses wore down. She didn't like it.
“Look! Here it is!” Ren's voice suddenly called, breaking into her thoughts. Link and Zelda looked up as he burst into the courtyard, waving a sheet of paper wildly around his head.
Zelda and Link both stood up. “What is it?” Zelda said, running up to Ren excitedly. Had he finally found something?
Ren held the paper out for her to see, and she peered at it eagerly while Link came to join her, looking at the paper over her shoulder. “What is it?” Link asked.
“It's a title deed,” Ren explained, “for a man named Lien Risess.”
Link looked up at him. “So you mean?”
Ren nodded. “He changed his name, probably so it would be less easy to track him down, and yet similar enough that we would be able to find him,” he said. “Strange. It's almost like he's been planning this from the start.”
Zelda nodded her agreement, as her cousin confirmed her fears. “Look where it is too,” she said, pointing at the location. “It's a good distance away from the castle, or any other town or anything.”
“You're right,” Ren said, looking at the location as well. He looked at the other two. “I guess you'll want to go check it out then.”
“Of course,” Link said, and Zelda nodded.
“I think we should tell Malon first,” Zelda added. “She should know.”
“Right,” Ren agreed. “I'll head out today and tell her.”
Zelda looked Ren straight in the eye. “I'm going to that house,” she said. “I don't care what Daddy says. If I have to sneak out, I will.”
Ren nodded. “I figured as much. I'll ask your father to let you come stay at my place for awhile. He should agree to that.”
Something popped into Zelda's head. “Oh no,” she groaned, burying her face in her hands.
Both Link and Ren stared at her. “What's wrong?” Link asked, placing a hand on her shoulder, and giving her a worried look. “Are you okay?”
Zelda removed her face from her hands. “I'm fine,” she said. “I just remembered though, that stupid coming of age ball is in three days. Daddy will never let me leave before then.”
Link and Ren exchanged glances. “We can wait,” Ren said, “if you think we can afford it.”
“I don't know,” Zelda said. She looked at Link's pale face, and the dark circles beneath his eyes. Would it be okay to wait another three days, just for her?
Seeing what she was thinking, Ren made an offer. “I can go on ahead and check it out, to make sure it's even a true lead, and then come back and we can go back together,” he said. “I'd rather do that anyway, just to be on the safe side.”
Zelda frowned. Would it really be okay to do that? What if something happened to Ren? Plus, that would still mean waiting another three days. Maybe Ren and Link should just go without her.
“Let's do that,” Link said, making the decision for her. Zelda looked up at him. “Ren won't go inside, just see what the outside's like, and then come back and tell us. That way, we can all go together.”
“It's decided then,” Ren said. “That's what we'll do.” He gave Zelda a reassuring smile. “I'll go tell Malon what we're doing now.”
Ren headed out of the courtyard. Zelda turned to Link. “Link, I'm sorry,” she said.
“Don't be sorry,” Link told her. “If you didn't get to go, you'd never give us a rest. I'm just saving my ears from days of whining.”
Zelda giggled. “I guess you're right,” she said.
---
Malon took off her thick gloves and threw them onto the ground beside her, brushing her hands off. She glanced up at the sun. It was a little after noon now. She should probably go eat lunch. Picking up the discarded gloves, she headed for the house.
"Hello, Malon. It's been awhile," a low voice said behind her.
Malon straightened, stopping dead in her tracks. A chill traveled down her spine. That voice…it couldn't be…Her breath coming quickly, she turned around slowly. She felt the eyes piercing her through the darkness of the hood. Her shriek broke through the air, waking her father and alerting Ingo. The two men came running from their respective places, looking around wildly for the girl, but she was nowhere to be seen.
---
Ren mounted the steed he had borrowed from the royal stables, sending it galloping across Hyrule Field in the direction of Lon Lon Ranch. The sun hung in the sky, almost fourteen o' clock as he neared the ranch. He could feel that something was wrong in the atmosphere before he even got there. Riding into the ranch, he brought the reins in, and dismounted.
The ranch seemed strangely empty. The horses ran freely in the open pen in the center of the ranch, but no people were in sight anywhere. Even if they couldn't afford servants, shouldn't the ranch owners be out? He saw no sign of people, or of the redheaded girl, but a human sound reached his ears. It was the sound of someone calling.
A man came out of one of the buildings in front of Ren. His back was turned to Ren, and he did not seem to notice the young nobleman standing behind him. He wore pink overalls, and his brown-haired head was starting to go bald. A second man came from around the corner, his chubby face red and drenched with sweat. Ren realized this must have been the man he'd heard the calling from. This second man also did not seem to notice Ren.
The first man shook his head. "She's not here," he said.
The second man looked bewildered. "Are you sure? Did you check her room? She must be in her room." He started to head for one of the doors.
"She's not there," the first man said. "I already looked."
"Maybe you just didn't see her. I'll look again." Again the second man started to head for the door.
"She's not there. Just give it up, Talon! She's gone!"
The second man, Talon, rounded on the first, his face one of fury. He swung his fist at the first man, catching him hard in the jaw and sending him staggering sideways. "You dirty bastard!" he yelled. "You don't even give a shit that something's happened to my daughter!"
The first man straightened up, glaring at Talon as he rubbed his jaw. "What the hell are you talking about? I was just helping you look for her, wasn't I?" he bellowed.
"And you were really—"
"Excuse me," Ren said, deciding to cut in before something really bad broke out. He approached the two men, who stared at him, just realizing his presence.
"Who the hell are you?" Talon demanded regaining himself.
Ren dropped a slight, respectful bow. "I am Duke Renaldo Ambergini. I've come from the castle of Hyrule," he said. "Could you tell me what's happened? I think I may know where your daughter is."
Talon reacted like lightning, grabbing Ren roughly by his collar. He was short, not even reaching Ren's shoulder. "Where the hell is she? Where is my daughter?" Talon demanded.
Ren placed his hands on the man's fists. "Please, calm down," he said. "I want to help you, but I need you to calm down and tell me what's happened."
Seeming to come to his senses, Talon slowly released Ren, clearing his throat roughly.
"Alright," Ren said, seeing that the man was somewhat calmer now. "Now tell me, what happened to your daughter."
---
"Zelda! Link!" Ren called, running into the courtyard as fast as he could.
Link and Zelda looked up from where they were sitting on the stone steps talking. "Ren? What's wrong?" Zelda asked.
"Malon has gone missing!" Ren said, stopping in front of them and trying to catch his breath.
Link stood up. "What do you mean?" he said, staring at Ren.
"When I got to the ranch she was gone," Ren explained. "Her father told me he heard her scream, and when he went to check on her, she had disappeared. He and the other man looked all over the place, but they couldn't find her anywhere."
Zelda covered her mouth with her hand, standing up slowly. "Was it Ladarius?" she asked.
"Probably," Ren said. "I can't think of any other reason that she would just disappear."
Link backed up slowly, and retook his seat on the steps. It was happening. It was really happening, and he hadn't been able to do anything. How much longer till his nightmares came true?
Zelda looked at Link, concerned. His face was white, and she could read what she knew he was thinking written all over his expression. She approached him slowly, placing a gentle, comforting hand on his shoulder, she bent down to look him in the eyes.
"Link, it will be alright," she said. "I'm sure she's fine."
Link did not respond, and continued staring straight ahead. Zelda sighed, and stood back up. She turned to Ren. "What do we do?" she asked. "We can't tell Daddy. If we do, he'll only forbid us to do anything further, and then we'll never be able to find her."
Ren pondered this for a moment. "I think we should stick with the original plan," he said at last.
"Are you sure?" Zelda asked.
"It's probably best," he said. "Whatever this Ladarius seems to be planning, I don't think he's going to hurt her."
Zelda nodded. Not yet, at least, she thought. She glanced at Link. How long would he be able to last now? She turned back to Ren. "You should probably go now," she said.
He nodded. "The sooner the better. If I find anything at all, I'll contact you immediately, alright?"
Zelda nodded. "Be careful."
Ren smiled. "Like any dumb painter would be able to hurt me," he said, and Zelda offered a half smile in return. "I'll see you later. You take care of Link."
Zelda raised her hand in a wave as Ren turned and ran out of the courtyard. After a moment, she turned back to Link. Placing her hand on his arm, she tugged him up to his feet, and he obeyed without resistance. "Come on," she said. "You need to snap out of it, so we can start planning."
Not raising his eyes up to meet hers, Link nodded slowly, and followed her out of the courtyard.
Zelda led him to one of the lesser used rooms, so they could talk without fear of being disturbed. They took a seat in some chairs set up in the room. "Well?" Link said after a moment of silence.
Zelda fiddled with the hem of her dress. "I'm thinking," she said.
"Maybe we should just forget about it," Link said.
Zelda's face shot up to look at him. "What are you saying?" she said. "You can't just abandon Malon!"
Link stood up, turning away from her with his hands crossed over his chest. "Or maybe things will just wind up worse if I don't," he said.
Zelda stood up as well. "Link, don't say that!"
Link whirled on her, his face angry. "Don't tell me you haven't been thinking it too!" he shouted, causing Zelda to cringe away from him. "You're the one who told Malon to stay away from me, because you think I might do something to hurt her, too!"
"Link! It's not like that!" Zelda said.
"Enough," Link cut her off. "It is like that, and you know it as much as I do. I'm just going to go home and stay as far away from all of this as possible. Maybe things will turn out better once I'm out of the picture."
He started to walk toward the door, while Zelda stared after him. "You're supposed to be the bearer of Courage!" she yelled at him as he opened the door.
He glanced back at her. "And you're supposed to be the Sage of Wisdom," he replied, walking out the door and shutting it behind him.
Zelda bit her lip, knowing she could not follow after him. What was happening to her? Was she really starting to fail as the Sage of Wisdom? And what of Link? The Link she knew would never have backed down from anything, until now. She sank back down into her chair, burying her face in her hands. It was like the entire world had been turned upside down, and there was nothing she could do about it.
---
Saria came out of her house, carrying the empty bowl she normally used for washing her face and hands, preparing to refill it from the stream. Out of habit, her eyes glanced at Link's house, and she saw the curtain that covered his door falling over the doorframe. Was Link home? Turning back into her house, she set the bowl down. She would go check on Link first.
Heading for the tree house, she climbed the ladder up to the balcony, and knocked on the wall. "Link?" she called. She heard no reply, and stepped inside the house.
A familiar lump lay on the bed, covered entirely with the blankets. "Link, are you asleep?" she asked softly.
The lump made no movement or reply, and she decided he must be either asleep or pretending to be asleep because he wanted to be left alone. She turned and left the house.
---
He waited until he was sure Saria had left the house before he turned onto his back to stare at the slowly darkening ceiling. He did not want to sleep. Who knew what horrible dreams sleep would bring him now, as if they had not been bad enough before. As much as he tried though, he could not fight the exhaustion that crept over him, making his eyelids heavy so that he was unable to keep them open.
The vision came to him the second he closed his eyes it seemed. He was naked, sitting in a tub of sorts, his body completely submerged in a warm, dark liquid.
"Not long now," the familiar voice said as the hooded man appeared out of the shadows. "I can't wait, can you?" Link sensed the cruel grin beneath the shadows, and shuddered. "Look, that's her blood you're bathing in now, and there's her body, there." He raised a hand, pointing at Link's side.
Turning his head, Link's shout resounded about the recesses of his mind, and his eyes struggled to open. "Oh no," the man said. "No waking up, not yet. That's no fun. I want you to look at her, to see just what you did to her."
Moving on its own accord, Link's head turned to stare at Malon's limp body, laying strewn across the floor and dripping her own blood from a gaping hole in her chest. "See where her heart used to be?" the cold voiced spoke. "But you ripped it out, without any thought, as her cries pierced your ears. Look at her eyes, you can still almost see the life inside them. Look at them."
Unwillingly, Link's eyes fell upon Malon's staring, blue eyes. "See the pain that fills them?" the voice continued. "Confusion, betrayal, and there's something else, too. Do you see it? It's hatred, and jealousy. This is the pain you caused her."
Link struggled against the force controlling his mind's body, holding his eyes shut. "No!" he screamed as his eyes jerked open and his body shot up straight.
The voice echoed in the back of his mind, laughing coldly. "Enjoy your peace while you can. I will see you again, very soon."
Staring at the blanket covering his legs, Link breathed quickly, trying unsuccessfully to shut out the fresh images from his mind. He turned to the window, pulling back the curtains. Rays of sunlight streamed into the open window, landing on his bed.
"Oh, you're awake," Saria said. Link turned to see her standing in the doorway. "I was just coming to get you up."
"Thanks," Link said, looking away from her. He slid his legs onto the floor, grabbing the nearest tunic and pulling it on.
Saria raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you alright?" she asked, placing her hands on her hips.
"I'm fine," Link said, still not looking at her and fidgeting with his tunic.
"Link, there's no sense in lying to me. You may as well spit it out."
"I said it's nothing," Link almost snarled. What was up with Zelda and Saria? They were always nagging him about something. Why couldn't they just leave him alone?
Pushing past Saria, Link stormed out of the tree house and jumped down the ladder, leaving Saria staring after him in confusion. Whatever was wrong with Link, it must be something pretty bad. He hardly ever got angry with Saria, and even when he did, it was nothing like this. She chewed on her lip, unsure what to do. This was the first time she could think of that Link had ever hidden anything from her. Had something happened with Ladarius?
She walked out onto the balcony, and saw Link heading in the direction of the Lost Woods. Should she follow him, or would it be better to just leave him alone for now? She turned her eyes to the entrance to the Great Deku Tree's grove. Perhaps she should talk to someone with more wisdom than she.
---
Sunlight danced on the ground through the leaves of the trees as Link walked deeper and deeper into the Lost Woods. It didn't really matter. He knew these woods so well, he could probably walk through them with his eyes closed. Finally, he stopped at the pool of water he used to come to a lot when he wanted to be alone and think. Walking to the water's edge, he stared down into it, and his own face reflected back at him. Frowning, he kicked at it angrily, causing the water to ripple and blur his features. He couldn't stand the sight of himself right now.
Sitting down, he stared at the distant trees beyond the pool instead. Thoughts he couldn't fight back, and didn't really want to either, slithered to the front of his mind. No one understood him. He hated Zelda and Saria. How could they expect to understand what he was feeling right now? He was the one who had caused Malon to get kidnapped in the first place, because he was too stupid and pathetic to do anything to stop it. And they expected him to keep trying? What good was he going to do? If he didn't stop trying now, he was just going to wind up hurting Malon more, like in his nightmares. It was best if he just gave up. He was too pathetic to do any good.
His eyes turned back to the pool. How easy would it be to just end it all now? Then Malon wouldn't be hurt anymore, and Saria and Zelda wouldn't be able to bother him again. What was the point in living anyway, if he was only going to make things worse? Whatever awaited him after death, it had to be better than this.
Sitting up onto his knees, he slowly leaned forward until the tip of his nose hovered just above the water's edge, and his breath rippled the surface. Taking a deep breath, he plunged his head into the icy water.
---
Saria strode down the path leading to the Great Deku Tree. How long had it been since she'd come here last? She used to visit the Great Deku Tree all the time, until Link had come along. She'd taken it onto herself to take care of him, and before she knew it, he was taking up all of her time. She smiled, thinking about Link's younger days. He had been such a sweet child, and he looked exactly like his mother.
She had only seen his mother once, and she had been wounded at the time, but she had been beautiful, and with one look, Saria could tell that she loved her baby boy more than anything else in the world. She had cradled him so close to her chest. Even as she stumbled and dripped blood, and as cold stares followed her from the Kokiri children, she held him as though she might protect him from every bad thing in the world.
When the young woman left this world, the duty of protecting the infant had been passed to Saria, and she had loved him as a son, as a brother, and as he grew older, a friend. A painful tug pulled at her heart. He had always trusted her with everything, to the point where it was almost a fault, yet she had never betrayed his trust. Why was it that now he didn't seem to trust her at all? She felt tears prickling the backs of her eyelids.
"My child, you look sad," the warm, deep voice of the Great Deku Tree rumbled.
Looking up into his kind, familiar face, Saria forced a smile. "Forgive me, Great Deku Tree. It's been so long since I've come to see you, and when I finally do I'm on the verge of tears."
"Do not apologize, dear daughter. What is troubling you?"
Saria bit her lip, trying to think of how to word her problem. "It's Link," she mumbled.
"Ah," the Deku Tree said. "You are troubled by his behavior of late."
Saria looked up at him. "Yes!" she said. "He's been so distant from me lately! Just now, he wouldn't even hint at what was bothering him, and when I tried to ask, he got angry and stormed away."
"I have heard that Hylian children go through this sort of phase at about his age. Perhaps he is just behaving normally for one of his kind," the Great Deku Tree offered.
"I don't think it's just that!" Saria replied. "It's just so unlike him. It has to be something else."
"You are thinking perhaps it is related to his nightmares?" the forest spirit asked.
Saria nodded. "I think it may be. I can't know for certain though, because he won't tell me anything."
"I have heard from your fairy companion of the lad's recent troubles," the Deku Tree said. "And I believe you may be right."
"What should I do?" Saria asked.
"Leave him be for now," the Deku Tree said. "It may be difficult for you, but I'm sure he will tell you eventually. His mind has been troubled, and he needs to come to terms with his own thoughts and fears. When he does, then he will return to his normal self. Until then, just keep your distance, and watch over him quietly."
Saria nodded. The last thing she wanted to do was just leave him alone, but if the Great Deku Tree said it was for the best, then it must be so. "Thank you, Great Deku Tree," she said.
"Of course, child. And perhaps next time you come to visit, it will only be to visit?"
The Kokiri girl smiled. "Yes, of course!" she said.
The Great Deku Tree chuckled. "I will be expecting you, then," he said.
---
Link's lungs burned, begging him for air and threatening to burst, until at last he could bear it no longer. Thrusting his head out of the water, he fell back, gulping the air into his lungs, until he felt slightly resupplied. Staring at the ground in front of him, he clenched his hands into tight fists. Zelda was right to hate him. He was such a coward, he couldn't even take his own life. How pathetic was he?
Sighing, he stood to his feet. It was already nearing late afternoon. The last thing he wanted to do was return to the village, but he figured he'd better, before someone came to look for him, and he'd have to confront them alone. At least back in the Kokiri Forest he could go into his own house and be alone, and if Saria tried to bother him, he would just pretend to be asleep like he had last time.
Grabbing his hat, which had fallen off, he shoved it back on over his dripping hair, and headed back for the entrance of the Lost Woods.
---
As Saria headed back for her own house, she saw Link coming back from the Lost Woods. She saw that his hair was wet, yet the rest of him was dry, and wondered what he had been doing. He stared pointedly at the ground in front of him, ignoring some of the Kokiri children as they tried to greet him, and leaving them slightly confused. Whatever he had been doing, it was obvious it hadn't improved his state of mind. Sighing, she went inside her own house, forcing herself to take the Great Deku Tree's advice instead of running up to Link and demanding he tell her what had happened.
She changed into her white night tunic and crawled into her bed. Lighting the candle at her bedside table, she reached behind the bed, pulling out her journal. Opening it to the latest page, she began to write. Liyme flew out from her roost in Saria's hair, fluttering over to sit lightly on the edge of the journal.
Her shimmering pink wings waved slightly as she sat on the edge of the book. "Try not to worry too much, Saria," she said. "I'm sure things will work out okay, just as the Great Deku Tree said."
Looking up, Saria smiled at her tiny naked companion. "Thank you, Liyme. I can't help but worry, though. He's acting so unlike himself."
"It's not your fault though," Liyme said. "Just keep smiling like you always do, okay?"
Saria nodded. "Okay, Liyme. I will."
The pink fairy nodded with satisfaction, and fluttered back into the air. "I'm going to sleep now," she said, flying down to land on the corner of Saria's pillow and curling up. "Good night."
"Good night, Liyme," Saria said.