The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Half-Beast ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
Chapter 2: Half-Beast
 
Mariette had fallen asleep, while drifting on the ocean surface, so she didn't notice that she was washed ashore on a beach. Mariette groaned in her sleep and turned on her stomach making her look like road kill.
 
 
While Mariette slept, an eight-year-old girl with short black hair and an eight-year-old boy with the same colored hair and hair length was walking in her direction in old peasant clothing. The girl laughed with the boy, but stopped when she spotted Mariette's form on the ground.
 
 
“What's that?” she asked as she pointed toward Mariette. The boy looked toward Mariette and shrugged his shoulders.
 
 
“Maybe a washed up animal,” he said in an unconcern tone. The girl ran toward Mariette, so the boy had no choice, but to follow her.
 
When the girl reached Mariette's form, she looked down at her and then looked back at the boy.
 
“I think it's still breathing, Toshi,” said the girl. The boy, known as Toshi, gave out a sigh and looked down at Mariette. He wasn't sure if she was breathing, so he grabbed a broken branch from the ground and began to poke Mariette's cheek.
 
Mariette felt the branch on her cheek and slowly opened her eyes alerting the girl and Toshi. Toshi pulled the branch away from Mariette's cheek and screamed, “Oh my Gods! It's alive!”
 
Mariette sat up and rubbed her tired eyes. She looked to the side only to see the girl and Toshi looking at her with wide eyes. Mariette gave out a yawn and said, “Who are you two?”
 
The girl got the idea that Mariette was a person, so she gave out a sigh and said, “My name is Wuya and this boy here is my twin brother Toshi.” Toshi bowed to Mariette, even though he was still uneasy around her. Mariette nodded at them and told them her name. She then looked at her surroundings and asked, “Where am I?”
 
The girl, known as Wuya, stared at Mariette confused and then snapped her fingers in realization.
 
“You must be from Hourai because it looks like you came from the ocean. That might be the reason why you look confused.”
 
Toshi looked at his sister with wide eyes and said, “So this person came from Hourai?” Wuya nodded at her brother and looked back at Mariette, who was filled with confusion. Wuya giggled at Mariette's confused look and said, “This might be a little shocking to you, but you're not in your own home right now. You are now in the kingdom of Kei one of the twelve kingdoms.”
 
Mariette absorbed the information in of her whereabouts and then gave out a loud gasp that surprised both Wuya and Toshi. When Mariette gasped, two black cat ears and a tail popped out of her making Toshi and Wuya even more surprised than ever before. Mariette noticed their surprised expression and placed her small hands on her ears. Mariette gave out another gasp and tried to cover her ears.
 
“Don't look,” cried Mariette as she tried to tuck in her ears and tail. Toshi pointed at Mariette with wide eyes and said, “She's a half-beast.” Wuya thought awhile, while looking at Mariette.
 
“She's a half-beast alright, but that would make her a Kaikyaku as well.”
 
Toshi nodded in agreement and looked back at Mariette, who was crouched down on the ground looking away from them.
 
“Are you OK, Mariette?” asked Toshi. Mariette looked back at Toshi and Wuya with tears coming out of her eyes making them confused.
 
“My ears and tail always pop out when I'm surprised, but because of this, my village hated me for years. They called me a monster and my parents always protected me. When they died, I felt so alone. Now you two have seen my features, so now you're going to hate me.”
 
Toshi gave out a sigh and said, “We won't hate you, Mariette. Half-beast are almost all around the kingdoms, so you can't be called a monster. Some people do dislike them, but my sister and I aren't part of that group, so stop crying.” Mariette stared at Toshi for a long while with wide eyes and then looked at Wuya, who nodded at her with a smile.
 
“Toshi and I are willing to accept you as our friend, Mariette.”
 
Mariette stared at them and then broke into a bright smile as she leaped toward them. She embraced Wuya and Toshi causing them to gasp and said, “Thank you.” repeatedly. Wuya and Toshi both smiled and hugged Mariette back, happy that they had a new friend in the kingdom of Kei.
 
Yoko smiled when she saw Mariette embrace her two new friends and looked up at the sky.
 
“So Mariette was a half-beast that was despised by her people.”
 
“That is correct your majesty.”
 
Yoko looked back at Mariette and said, “This story seems pretty happy right now, so I still don't understand why she was erased from history.”
 
“There is still more to see, so continue to watch.”
 
Yoko nodded and pushed back a strand of her long red hair as she watched Mariette walk off the beach with Wuya and Toshi in hand.
 
(Sorry for the late update, but I had too much events going on in school. This chapter was a bit short too, but I do want to prolong it. Please review and do not flame it or anything. I would like to hear what you guys think of this story.)