Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ In the Hands of an Uncaring God ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: An evil cult is trying to get its hands on anyone with power. Kamui is the next victim. Subaru has to race against time to stop him from getting sacrificed. AU

Disclaimer: All characters that belong to CLAMP belong to CLAMP. I don't own them. I just love writing about them. Arimi Yuki and Ikeda Ran are mine.

Rating: PG-13 for violence and quite a bit of shounen-ai (tough to avoid when writing an X fic!)

Pairings: Subaru/Seishirou, Kamui/Fuuma, Fuuma/Kakyou, Sorata/Arashi, a little bit of Karen and Aoki near the end of the story.

Spoilers: Bits and pieces of X. This fic is very AU.

Chapter 5

It was a sorry trio who limped into Yuki's apartment that evening. Subaru had come back to the park and reported he'd been too late to stop Kamui from being taken away. At that point Yuki was in too much pain to really care about anything anymore. However he was stubborn enough to protest any suggestion of bringing him to the hospital. He didn't think he wanted to file assault charges against curse zombies and there would be too many questions asked that he couldn't answer.

However on settling Yuki into his bed, Subaru whipped out his phone and dialed his personal doctor, sparing no expense in getting the man to pay a private home visit. The doctor duly arrived and tsked over Yuki as he wrapped up his ribs and disinfected his cuts. As he left, Subaru and Ran had to suffer the doctor's reproachful looks for not bringing Yuki to a hospital to be properly treated.

"I'm sorry for being so much trouble," Yuki mumbled through his swollen cheek.

"Don't worry about anything, I'll be here if you need me," Ran said, pulling the covers up and tucking him in as Yuki drifted off to sleep. He walked into the small kitchen of the apartment. Subaru was boiling a pot of water.

"Want some tea?" Subaru offered.

"That'll be good," Ran replied tersely.

Subaru passed Ran a mug and moved to sit down at a small dining table. Being a typically quiet man, Subaru found it natural to sit in silence as he waited for his tea to cool. However he was certain that Ran was brimming with questions and would soon come up with a way to ask them.

He didn't have to wait too long. "So what was Yuki doing in that park being attacked by..." Ran fumbled for a moment before remembering the right term, "curse zombies?"

Subaru took a deep breath and began filling Ran in on all that had happened. "So do you believe us?" he said when he wound down.

"Lord, this is so out there. Magic killers, insane megalomaniacs, psychics sacrificed. I wouldn't have believed you if I hadn't seen those creatures for myself." The police detective began running his fingers back through his silver hair, wishing for someone solid to slap a pair of handcuffs on. "What are you going to do now?" he asked Subaru.

Subaru shrugged. "Try to get to talk to Kamui, maybe. See if he's being treated okay. Not much I can do now with the law on their side," Subaru glaring at Ran as if he was responsible for the legal system.

"I'll go talk to their case worker. See what she thinks about the couple that took the kids." Ran heaved a deep sigh. "I'm really regretting involving Yuki in that Togakushi case now."

"It wouldn't have made a difference. Those people are not going to let anyone with power alone. It's kill or convert." Subaru studied the older man before him. He wondered just what his relationship was to his cousin. Yuki had mentioned his friend to him a few times as a university friend and a good companion. But Subaru didn't think the two were involved romantically. At the moment he guessed it was rather one-sided. With an inward grin, he decided to give Ran every opportunity. "You'll stay with him tonight?"

"I'll take care of him." Ran said doggedly.

Subaru got up and quietly left, knowing it was going to be a long day tomorrow.

~~~~~

Kamui awoke to bright sunshine flooding his room. It took a moment for him to get his bearings but when he did, he flopped back onto the bed. He thought a bit about the surreal household he'd been introduced to. When they arrived last night, the mansion had appeared ominiously dark. Standing in welcome had been the Kigais' adopted daughter, Satsuki. Kamui had been shocked by the overly familiar way she'd jumped to hug Yuuto, though Kanoe didn't appear to mind. He hoped Kotori wasn't going to be expected to behave similarly. Kamui wondered if Yuuto was doing a Woody Allen but figured the less he knew, the better off he'd be.

There had been one other occupant of the mansion they had been introduced to. Kamui wasn't sure of her place but Kishuu Arashi had appeared very cold and distant. She was the one who had brought them to their rooms and warned them not to trespass past a locked door leading to another wing of the mansion. Kanoe had explained she lived here with many others, including her sister who she said valued her privacy.

Getting up, Kamui thought he'd look in on Kotori. As he came down the hallway, it seemed Fuuma had the same idea. He smiled a greeting at Kamui as he stood there with his hand upraised in a knock. On entering Kotori's room, the two boys saw that she was awake and dressed. She was staring listlessly out the window.

"Kotori, do you want some breakfast?" Fuuma asked gently.

A slight shake was all the response she made. Kamui was starting to really worry about her. However she didn't appear to be in any immediate distress. It was as if her mind was merely occupied with some far distant vision.

Sighing in defeat, Fuuma said to Kamui, "Come on, let's go. We can bring her up something later."

But as the two turned to go, Kotori spoke up, "Oniichan, be careful."

Fuuma looked surprised at her concern. He ruffled the hair at the top of her head affectionately.

That brought a rise out of Kotori, who bagan to bat his hand away. "You guys go on. I'll stay here for a bit longer."

Fuuma nodded and left the room, followed closely by Kamui. As Kamui stood out in the hall, he thought he heard Kotori's voice speaking softly through the closed door. "Kakyou, are you there?" But since he knew there wasn't anyone else in the room, he dismissed it to hurry after Fuuma.

~~~~~

In another part of the compound, Kanoe was standing before her sister. "Is everything going as you envisioned, my dear sister?"

Hinoto's doll-like face was petulant. From her kneeling position on the floor, she said angrily, "Someone is blocking my visions of the future."

Kanoe was morbidly curious. "Who could have the power to challenge you?"

"Whoever it is, is going to be so sorry," Hinoto said grimly. She contented herself with the thought of the tortures she was going to inflict upon the one who dared to thwart her. Getting back to business, she asked, "So how are your charges faring?"

"Oh, I'm having Arashi take care of them. That girl might as well be useful for something," said Kanoe spitefully. "The two boys are fine, perfectly wonderful. But the girl who came with them, I don't see any use in her at all." Kanoe practically licked her lips at the thought of how gorgeous the two young men were.

"The girl will serve as a means to keep them in line if they should protest what happens." Hinoto reminded her sister. "Make sure everything is ready by tonight."

Kanoe bowed her head and said, "It shall be." Then she ventured a cautious question, "Are you sure it will be safe for us?"

Hinoto pursed her blood red lips together, not used to her orders being second guessed. "It is the only way I can be sure of clearing the clouds blocking my dreams. And besides, shouldn't you welcome the prospect of acquiring even more power?" The bells on Hinoto's kimono chimed softly in her agitation.

Kanoe stood for a moment, relishing the thought. But then her practical nature asserted itself. "You told me your previous vision showed alternate probabilities where things go wrong."

Hinoto felt a pang of regret at letting that bit of information slip to her sister. She shook her long white hair in denial. "It also showed me that we shall succeed in what we plan to do tonight. All you have to do is follow as I have instructed."

Kanoe took that as a dismissal and bowed before she left the room.

~~~~~

Kamui was confused. Their first day at the mansion had passed innocuously but he couldn't shake the feeling that something was not quite right. Arashi had taken upon herself to show them around the places that they would be allowed to go, which was not much. Most of the time, she kept quiet, though Kamui caught her shooting worried glances at them when she thought they were not looking. At times he thought she was about to tell them something but she always stopped short.

The teenagers didn't meet any other denizens of the large place and spent much of their time in a small inner garden enjoying the spring weather. However late that afternoon, Kanoe had shown up and said they were to get ready to meet her sister in the evening. Kamui didn't know why they had to meet this sister of Kanoe's in the dead of the night instead of under the bright afternoon sunshine like a normal person but couldn't summon up any reason to protest. It was all very mysterious.

Fuuma appeared to have recovered his spirits once Kotori had roused herself enough to join them for meals and later to sit in the shade of a large tree. She appeared to be mesmerised by the birds flittering about the branches of the tree. The two boys settled themselves at the base of another tree some distance away, observing her fondly.

"So Kamui, what do you think about this place?" Fuuma asked as he slung his arm carelessly across Kamui's shoulders.

Kamui lazily leaned further against Fuuma and said, "I don't really care much. The only thing I'm glad about is that we're able to stay together."

"You worry too much about us, even when you have your own problems," Fuuma commented.

"Look who's talking. You're the responsible one," Kamui pointed out as he poked him in the ribs.

Fuuma squirmed away but leaned back even closer when Kamui stopped. He smiled at how cute the younger teenager looked, enjoying the sight of the soft breeze ruffling through Kamui's hair. After a while, Fuuma turned his attention back to studying the garden.

"I'm scared," Kamui suddenly blurted out.

"What about?" Fuuma asked, concerned.

Kamui wasn't sure how to put his feelings into words. It was all so vague. "The future," he managed at last.

Fuuma bent his head to look down into Kamui's violet eyes. "I've promised to protect you and I will do it. I won't let anything happen to you," he tried to assure Kamui. "To either of you. Just help me take care of Kotori too?"

"I promise," Kamui answered. He was caught by Fuuma's intense gaze. His violent eyes widened even further and his heart lurched with a sensation that he couldn't name. It was as if a dam had burst, prompting him to say the first thing in his mind. "Oh, I've missed you so much. In all the years I was away in Okinawa, I never stopped thinking about the two of you." Kamui's face was growing redder and redder.

Fuuma looked gratified. "I know I shouldn't be but I'm glad you missed us. I missed you too."

"Why do you care so much about me?" Kamui wanted to know. He couldn't see why anyone would want to be friends with him.

"I don't know," Fuuma admitted. "I just know I couldn't bear it if we were to be separated again. That's why I was glad there was someone willing to take us in."

Kamui shivered. "I should be glad too but there's something about all this that makes me wary..." His voice trailed off, as he found himself unable to explain his disquiet.

Fuuma cocked his head. "Well this is admittedly a rather irregular household, but it doesn't seem too bad." But not wishing to dismiss Kamui's unease, he added, "Still we should trust your instincts and be on guard."

"Too many weird things have been happening to us lately. Ever since your father was attacked and sent to hospital it's been one awful thing after another. I don't know if I can take any more bad news," Kamui said glumly.

There was no reply Fuuma could make. Instead he tightened his arm around Kamui's shoulder and pulled him closer. The touch was comforting to Kamui. He reflected he had little opportunity in his life to be held. There was something about Fuuma that made him feel so safe.

The two friends sat in quiet contentment until Arashi came out to fetch them for dinner.

~~~~~~

Notes: I'm afraid this was pretty much of an interlude chapter and setting of the stage for the next chapter's action. And boy, will there be action. I hope everyone is following the plot. This was also a good opportunity to get in some Kamui and Fuuma alone time. I hope I got their characterisation down okay. This is the last time you will see Yuki for a while. I gotta give him time to recover from his injuries. But don't worry he will return.

Coming up... what are Hinoto's evil plans for the boys? Will anyone get there in time to save them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

A super-deformed Subaru runs out with Fuuma, Kamui, Yuki and Ran holding placards. They run around and rearrange themselves to form a word while shouting, "Omake, Omake, Omake!" Fireworks and confetti fall.

(Kamui and Fuuma are talking in the garden of Hinoto's mansion)

Fuuma (gazes intently at Kamui): I won't let anything happen to you.

Kamui (gazes back, dramatic music starts playing in the background): ....Oh I've missed you.

Fuuma (takes Kamui into his arms): ...

Kamui (suddenly squirming away): Will you stop trying to feel me up??!

Fuuma: What??! I have to. It's in the script!

Kamui (glares at Director Xandra): You Hentai!

Director Xandra (glares back): Hey you watch it or I'll make Fuuma have hot sweaty sex with you!

Fuuma (begging in puppy dog form): Ooooh please please!

Kamui (fighting off Fuuma who now has hands all over under Kamui's shirt): I'm underaged! I refuse to have hot sweaty sex with anybody. I want my agent!

Director Xandra (sighing): I should have listened when they told me never to work with kids or animals.