Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ In the Hands of an Uncaring God ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All the following X characters belong entirely to CLAMP. I'm only borrowing them for the duration of this story. This story is distributed for free and no profit is being made.

Chapter 6

The 13th clan head of the Sumeragis was lurking about near the walls of the compound which housed the main members of the cult, known as the Order of the Promised Day. Subaru hoped the cover of darkness would give him an opportunity to slip in and talk to Kamui. But so far he hadn't had a chance -- the place was simply too secure. Subaru knew he wasn't just dealing with modern day electronic security devices, he could sense all sorts of magical wards that would be tripped if he tried to go past them. As he wondered if this was going to end up being a wasted night, he noticed a tall schoolboy sneaking about in the shadows.

"Looks like someone else has got the same idea," Subaru thought.

Deciding to operate on the principal of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', Subaru approached the boy. Cautiously he came up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder.

The boy whipped about as if electrified, hands at the ready to ward off a blow. Subaru's green eyes widened in recognition. "Sorata!" He managed to keep his voice low.

Sorata literally jumped two feet into the air, then heaved a sigh of relief when he saw who it was. "Subaru-san, you just scared 10 years off my life! Don't sneak up on people like that!"

Subaru was glad to see Sorata. He knew the young man had some sort of contact inside the group. In fact Sorata was one of the people who had provided him with tidbits of information on the cult when he first started investigating it. Subaru trusted the young monk from Mount Kouya, having known the straightforward boy since he was a small kid. He knew he had a caring heart. "What are you doing here tonight?" Subaru asked curiously.

Sorata looked about guiltily. "Waiting for someone. What about you?" He fired back in return.

Subaru decided to tell Sorata a little about what's been happening. "The group has got three new kids. I'm afraid they might be in terrible danger."

Suddenly a shocked voice sounded from behind Subaru. "Sorata! Who's this?"

Subaru wheeled around and saw a pretty girl about Sorata's age. She had long straight hair cut in a classic Japanese style. Her face was pale and she was wearing a hostile expression. Subaru supposed it was for him. Sorata was waving his arms up and down in an attempt to placate her. "Oh it's just Subaru-san, you remember I told you about him, Arashi?"

"Ah the crazy do-gooder trying to bring Hinoto-hime down," Arashi said insultingly though her expression softened.

Subaru didn't take this to heart. An ally was an ally and he couldn't afford to look gift horses in the mouth at the moment. "I'm Sumeragi Subaru, pleased to meet you," he said politely.

Arashi bowed just as formally, "Kishuu Arashi."

Subaru asked, "Who's Hinoto-hime?"

"Oh don't you even know her name? She's the one in control of all this." Arashi said bluntly, waving a vague hand in the direction of the compound.

Subaru was enlightened. A name at last. "Have you seen a boy with violet eyes named Kamui?" He asked as he remembered why he was here tonight.

"Yes," Arashi said.

"Is he alright?" Subaru wanted to know.

"Yes," Arashi answered.

Subaru wondered just what the gregarious Sorata was doing with such a cold girl. He thought he was the larconic one, but getting an answer from Arashi was like trying to pry secrets from a secret agent. He supposed opposites must really attract. Her next words brought a sense of urgency to him.

"But he may be in terrible danger."

"What do you mean?" Subaru asked alarmed.

"They haven't told me what's going on, but something big is happening tonight. It's occupying Hinoto's attention fully which is why I thought it safe to come out to meet you." Arashi held her hand out to Sorata which Sorata quickly clasped to his chest lovingly.

Subaru ignored the love sick gestures of the two teenagers and cut in. "Please can you help me get into the compound? I need to talk to Kamui."

Arashi threw him a calculating gaze. "All right, but on one condition. Take me with you when you go tonight. I can't bear it in there anymore," she said as her cold front crumbled.

At the sight of Arashi's vulnerable expression, Sorata moved even closer to hold her in mute assurance. The two stood for a moment lost in each other.

Subaru understood her pain. But time was passing and he cleared his throat to remind them of his presence. As Arashi struggled to get out from Sorata's grip, Subaru said to her, "We will take you with us. You don't have to stay here anymore."

~~~~~

Meanwhile inside the compound, things were very quickly going to hell in a handbasket. After a light dinner, Kanoe showed up to take the three teenagers to see her sister. She led them through the locked door that Arashi had told them not to trespass beyond. They moved briskly and Kamui was soon lost in the maze of corridors. Suddenly they emerged into a large enclosed courtyard.

A truly bizarre sight greeted their surprised eyes. In the centre of the courtyard a large eight sided seal was engraved, about 15 feet across. There was a column of light emerging from the middle. The esoteric symbols carved on the ground making up the seal were glowing. Encircling the area were large T-shaped concrete pillars, similar to the sort found at Stonehenge. By the side, a small woman with long white hair knelt. All around her were people dressed in robes. Scattered at intervals tall torches were lit, throwing an eerie atmosphere on the whole proceeding. Kanoe strode confidently forward and said, "Dearest Elder Sister, here are our guests. Children, this is my sister, Hinoto-hime."

All this was beginning to seriously creep Kamui out. "Good Evening, pleased to meet you. Thanks for taking us in. I see you're busy so er, we won't disturb you further." Kamui said as quickly as he could while trying to cautiously edge back to the entrance of the courtyard. He was followed by Fuuma and Kotori who was looking frightened.

But before he could get very far, Kanoe reached out and grabbed his arm. Her grip was extremely tight. "Please don't leave us just yet. You must enjoy our proper welcome."

Hinoto raised her head to look Kamui in the eye. "This is a great day for you. Ahead of you is a choice. Do you wish for your life to stay as it is at present or do you want change and a life filled with more power than you can dream of?"

"Look lady, thanks for the offer but I don't care about anything like that," Kamui said suspiciously. Hinoto was just too freaky for him to take seriously.

But the kneeling woman was adamant. "You must Choose!" At a signal, one of the robed figures suddenly darted out and dragged Kotori to him, holding a knife at her neck. Once again Hinoto said, "Choose change and go into the light. Choose to stay as you are and your friend will take your place. You have to decide."

Fuuma had started forward when Kotori screamed. But he was also restrained by more of the robed men. "Stop, you people are crazy!" He shouted as he struggled.

"Stop please don't hurt Fuuma or Kotori, I'll do whatever you want," said Kamui beginning to walk toward the column of light.

Hinoto was laughing in triumph.

"Kamui! Don't!" Fuuma shouted. Freeing himself with a massive twist, he lunged forward towards Kamui. Somehow he made it and grabbed Kamui's shoulder, spinning him backwards. But at the same time, Fuuma's foot connected to a raised cobble and he tripped, falling into the bright column at the centre of the seal.

"Fuuma!" Kamui screamed in horror but found himself restrained from running in after him. The robed men had caught up and now held on tightly.

Something was happening in the column of light. After a sudden extra burst of brightness it began fading away. Fuuma remained standing inside, his head bent down, a sword in his hand. For a moment Kamui was relieved to see that he was all right. Then Fuuma looked up and Kamui was taken aback by the sheer fury in his bloodred eyes.

"Who is it who dares to bind me thus?" The creature that was Fuuma, yet not Fuuma demanded in a deep and outraged voice.

Hinoto was smiling blissfully. "You will serve me, you have no choice," she said.

"You know the terms. Who is to be my sacrifice?" He demanded.

"You can have the boy." Hinoto callously offered, gesturing at Kamui.

"Fuuma..." Kamui said uncertainly as Fuuma began walking towards him. He was wondering what the hell had just happened.

"The one you know of as Fuuma is no more," the creature answered. "I am the one who hunts with the majesty of the gods. I am a Dragon of Earth, a Chi no Ryuu." Reaching Kamui, the creature grabbed him by the throat, half strangling him as he lifted him against one of the concrete pillars. Razor sharp twines sprung from the floor to bind Kamui tightly. With a savage thrust, he shoved the sword through Kamui's hand and pinned him in place. Kamui screamed in shock and terror. Seductively the creature bent down and licked at the blood flowing from a cut at Kamui's neck. "You scream beautifully, my sacrifice," he said. Then the sword was pulled out and Kamui braced himself as it descended towards him again.

Suddenly a voice rang out. "Stop, Oniichan! Please don't do this!" It was Kotori.

The creature turned his head and coldly addressed her. "Oh are you offering yourself in his stead?" He stalked over to her and lifted his sword. With a massive swing, he stabbed her right through the heart. Kamui couldn't stop screaming, "Fuuma!"

Then something weird happened. Kotori who ought to be dead, suddenly opened her eyes. But they were not her eyes. They were a curious golden colour instead. Her hands came up to grasp the sword, uncaring that the blade was slicing the skin open. Fuuma's attention was caught. "Curious, someone is possessing this girl," he remarked academically.

Hinoto's head whipped up in attention. "Who is it? Reveal yourself!"

"This girl does not wish Kamui to die. You already have your sacrifice, you have no further need to kill him." The voice that issued from Kotori's lips was low and gentle.

Fuuma considered for a moment, then said, "The pact is fulfilled, the blood binding is complete." The Chi no Ryuu continued to study Kotori. "You are an interesting one. I can see through to the other side to where you are."

The golden eyes made no answer, simply continuing to hold the sword and gazing intently at Fuuma. Fuuma in turn appeared completely fascinated.

Hinoto was working herself up into a fury. "Kill her, kill the boy, why are you just standing there! You must obey me!"

Fuuma ignored her.

Hinoto's attention was diverted by the lightning that suddenly ripped through the open courtyard. The robed acolytes began running about in mass panic. Flocks of glowing white birds were also diving at everyone. Hinoto's attendents quickly bundled her up and dragged her into shelter as she screeched in fury. Kanoe gave a shriek as a bolt zapped the ground next to her and decided to retreat after her sister. Oddly enough Fuuma remained still, apparently content to continue his staring competition with the golden eyed stranger possessing Kotori.

Kamui was conscious of someone next to him, cutting at his bonds. "Are you okay? Please, you have to come with me." A worried Subaru said while he pulled at Kamui. Kamui was lost in his own misery, reaching out a hand to his two friends. "Fuuma, Kotori," he moaned.

Meanwhile Sorata was running about laughing maniacally as he threw lightning at whoever was left in the rapidly emptying courtyard. Fortunately he prudently left Fuuma undisturbed, figuring there was no point attacking him if he was just going to stand there. Arashi was discretly hitting people over the head with a large plank as they ran. Subaru continued to try to get Kamui's attention. In the end he gave up and simply slung the boy over his shoulder in a fireman's carry and waved to Sorata. "Let's get out of here!"

As the three rescuers beat a retreat, Kotori's eyes closed and whoever it was animating her left.

~~~~~

In a dreamscape, Kakyou stood looking sadly at Kotori. "Was this what you wanted? I'm sorry I couldn't help you better."

Kotori shook her head. "It's all right. I knew that my death would be the price to pay to save Kamui. My brother would never forgive himself if he had killed him."

"This is as we had foreseen. We both knew there would be no escaping this fate, yet I wish there was something I could have done differently," Kakyou said in troubled tones.

"I'm sorry for you. The creature that's now in my brother knows where you are. Will you be in danger?" Kotori asked concerned.

"I understood the risks. What happens will happen." Kakyou replied.

Kotori reached out and took Kakyou's delicate face in her hands. "When you see my brother and Kamui, tell them both that I love them very much. And they should do their best to fight against those who would use them." As she spoke, wings expanded from her back and she drifted gently upwards. "Goodbye Kakyou. Remember, tell my brother and Kamui that I love them."

For long moments after, Kakyou stood staring at the empty sky, a wistful expression on his face.

~~~~~

Notes: This was such a hard chapter to write. I knew where the plot was going and what was to happen but just getting it down nearly defeated me. I had writers block for the longest time. I don't know if I ended taking too much from X. Feedback please?

Next... more Fuuma/Kakyou action while Kamui angsts. And Hinoto provokes Seishirou on Subaru, prompting him to show his power as the Sakurazukamori.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A super-deformed Subaru runs out with Fuuma, Kamui, Yuki and Ran holding placards. They run around and rearrange themselves to form a word while shouting, "Omake, Omake, Omake!" Fireworks and confetti fall.

(Everyone is standing around in the courtyard of the Seal. Hinoto has just told Kamui to choose whether to go into the light or not)

Kamui (torn expression on his face): Please don't hurt Fuuma or Kotori. I'll do whatever you want.

Hinoto (laughs in triumph): Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Fuuma (struggles against robed men holding him): ...

Fuuma (and struggles and struggles and struggles): Sorry can't get free, guess you'll just have to go ahead and be the sacrifice.

Kamui: Hey you're supposed to be the one clumsy enough to fall into the Seal!

Fuuma (shakes head): No way. Everybody knows going into strange lights is always a bad idea! Don't you watch any horror movies?

Kamui (pouts): Well I'm not going in there. The cultists can just kill you both for all I care!

Hinoto: Will one of you just get in there?!

Director Xandra (holds head in her hands): Will someone get me an asprin please?