Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Paradigm Shift ❯ Chapter 2 - Shadows of the Sakurazukamori ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Writing Team of AXQA presents: Paradigm Shift

Disclaimer: All X and Tokyo Babylon characters set within this story are the property of CLAMP. We do not have any claims on them, much as though we might like to have.

Chapter 2: Shadows of the Sakurazukamori

"Hello, can I take a look at the puppy that I brought in the other day?"

The receptionist at the Sakurazuka Clinic looked up to see a pair of anxious green eyes directed at her. There was no way she had forgotten this beautiful young man who had made such a strong impression on her just a few days ago. Besides, Sakurazuka-sensei had left specific instructions that this young man should be shown in to see him immediately if he came to visit. Sakurazuka-sensei was a good employer, but something about him made his receptionist very unwilling to cross him. Not that she would have refused the man in front of her; he was so handsome.

She quickly got up from behind her desk and bowed, saying, "Of course, please go right into the consultation room. I'll tell Sakurazuka-sensei that you're here."

"Oh, no, you don't have to disturb him if he's busy," the shy young man replied. "I can wait."

The receptionist merely smiled and waved him into the back room, buzzing a button to alert her employer.

Subaru cautiously entered the consulting area. He was rather relieved when Seishirou came forward with a smile of welcome. He didn't appear to have disturbed the veterinarian's work. "Hello, Seishirou-san. How is the little puppy doing?"

"Recovering wonderfully," Seishirou replied. "Here, you can see for yourself."

Suddenly Subaru found himself with an armful of puppy that proceeded to thoroughly lick his face. He laughed aloud at the ticklish sensation. "Well, you're certainly much livelier today," he said to the puppy, hugging it carefully.

The puppy barked as though it understood him. Today Subaru was dressed in clothes in orange and green, the clashing colors managing to work due to the strange geometric designs Hokuto had sewn. Subaru would have been embarrassed to know that he looked "utterly adorable and without a shred of dignity", or so his sister had said to herself when he departed this morning after meeting for breakfast.

Seishirou merely scratched the puppy under the chin, refraining from any remarks on how immature Subaru was acting. "Would you like to get some lunch?" The vet offered. "I know a diner not far from here that's serving pumpkin pie for dessert."

Subaru's eyes widened slightly. Apparently, Seishirou did not intend to cut him from his acquaintance. He had been worried over the past three days that, that night had merely been a fluke, and that Seishirou would decide that getting involved with an onmyouji was a bad idea. "I'd really like that," Subaru said. "I have… an appointment at two, but I'm free until then."

"Excellent. Shall we go now?"

Subaru blinked, unable to believe how fast things were happening. Then again, perhaps he was just misinterpreting things and the man was simply friendly. He didn't have that many male friends, so he wasn't sure if this was what people usually did with each other. "Um, I don't want to take you away from your work, surely you're busy?" he stammered tentatively.

"Not at all, I have no appointments today, so I'm free. Don't worry about it," Seishirou said carelessly, lifting the puppy from Subaru's arms to replace into the little kennel. Slipping into his large overcoat, the veterinarian frowned a little at Subaru, "How often do you eat?"

"Um…" Subaru blushed. "When I remember to?"

Seishirou tapped Subaru on the nose playfully. "I bet your sister is always nagging you to take care of yourself."

"Well…" Subaru wondered how the older man had him nailed so perfectly. "I get busy," he said lamely.

"We all get busy. That doesn't mean we stop caring for ourselves; if we fall apart, then those who love us will be hurt," Seishirou said, smiling slightly. Something in his amber eyes seemed to be carrying a hidden meaning, and Subaru answered him with a blush.

Subaru was nearly fainting with light-headedness from Seishirou's attention. Subaru was impressed by how sensible the man made everything sound. He certainly didn't want to hurt Hokuto-chan. Unexpectedly, a thought surfaced in his mind; perhaps Seishirou-san was actually interested in Hokuto. Subaru considered it was highly unlikely that anyone would be interested in him that way. He just didn't think he was that engaging.

Fortunately, he was prevented from stewing over the issue too deeply as he let Seishirou steer him out of the door. Sitting in Seishirou's little van, Subaru was again distracted by how normal everything was. It was as if he belonged here, somehow destined. A small quiver ran through him at that strange thought. He had never considered destiny before.

He would have to have been an idiot to not know he had one. The inverted pentagrams etched on his hands, along with his grandmother's dire warnings of the Final Day in 1999 told him that something special was in store for him. Still, whenever he tried to think about it, something came up-- and he was just too damn busy to worry about these things.

He had people to protect. If he didn't do his job, then people would suffer. That was the way of things. He leaned back slightly, wondering where they were going, though his habitual shyness prevented him from asking.

Seishirou was a careful driver, and aside from the soft hum of the CD player, there was no noise in the van. Subaru stole glances at the older man's profile, wondering if he should attempt to make conversation. I'm just too awkward around normal people, he thought sadly when he realized he couldn't think of anything to discuss.

Seishirou didn't appear to mind in the slightest, and sat in comfortable silence. Fortunately, the Tokyo traffic wasn't too bad at that hour and they arrived quickly. Subaru struggled a little with his seatbelt, unused to being in a car.

Outside, Subaru observed that they were in a very nice neighborhood. A small row of restaurants stretched out in front of him. There was food here for every palate.

"Do you like ramen?" Seishirou asked him.

"Oh, yes, I like it, especially the little Enoki mushrooms that come in it," Subaru answered. He didn't get to eat ramen very much. Hokuto usually packed a lunch box for him to make sure he got at least one meal every day, but that was cold food. He normally didn't feel like eating after working. Exorcisms usually took a lot out of him and left him with no appetite.

Seishirou smiled. "This place has some of the best fresh noodles, and the spices-- and you have to try some of their okonomiyaki." Seishirou said, holding the door to one of the smallest restaurants open.

Subaru blushed. "I… don't think I can eat that much…" He said faintly. Whenever he did eat, it was usually only a tiny portion. Hokuto once accused him of living on air and a bit of water.

"We'll split one, then. What's your favorite okonomiyaki topping?" Seishirou asked curiously.

"Um…" Subaru paused for a while as he considered. He remembered a childhood favorite of his. The cook at Kyoto had always managed to make an excellent okonomiyaki. He wondered if this place could be able to do it just as well. "Squid and prawns!" He said, smiling at the memory.

Seishirou grinned at his sudden enthusiasm.

There were not many customers and their food arrived quickly. The ramen was excellent and the okonomiyaki even better. Subaru was a little embarrassed to be sharing a dish with a near stranger like this. It was such an intimate act. Somehow, though, he couldn't consider Seishirou a stranger. There was just something so familiar about him.

The conversation somehow turned to Subaru's work. "Do you like what you do?" Seishirou inquired.

"I… don't dislike it, usually," Subaru answered after a moment's pause. He ate a bit of stray squid, which was amazingly tender instead of rubbery like he'd feared. He spent another moment considering. "My job… is important. Few people can do it, so even if I could be a vet… I probably wouldn't, since there's no one to take my place. I can't have a normal life… but I make sure I spend my life so others can."

"And I'm sure no one really appreciates you for it," Seishirou remarked. "Isn't there another Sumeragi who could take your place?"

The onmyouji shook his head. "The Sumeragi have always been a small clan, and while most of them have some talent, the really big things require power that you have to be born with… I'm the most powerful member of my family… so I am Clan Head," he concluded sadly.

"I know a little onmyoujitsu," Seishirou said suddenly. He looked intently at Subaru as if trying to gauge his reaction.

Subaru was a little taken aback, though not by the fact that Seishirou knew onmyoujitsu. Subaru could feel the evidence of power in him. No, it was Seishirou's honesty that impressed him. Subaru knew that as the Sumeragi in charge of the proper use of magic in Japan, he was needed to regulate onmyouji practitioners. Subaru thought that Seishirou as a Sakurazuka would have felt too inhibited in admitting his knowledge of onmyoujitsu to him.

"Thank you for telling me."

"I don't use it very often, but I think it's a good skill to have. I feel that these things are our tradition should be kept up," Seishirou said.

"Yes, a lot of people these days no longer believe in magic," Subaru admitted.

"But that's not to say that it doesn't exist."

"There are more things in heaven and on earth…" Subaru replied, setting down his chopsticks. He had positively gorged himself on the meal by his standards, but the amount of left over food told him his appetite was still too small.

"…Then are dreamt of in our philosophy?" Seishirou deliberately misquoted. "There are... but it's not our fault no one cares to admit it anymore. They feel safe in their little cocoons of a normal world. It's only when something goes wrong that you're called on."

Subaru sighed. "If people still believed, so much less would go wrong. I worry about next year… there's lots of hype for Y2K, but people don't--" he broke off, realizing he was saying something he shouldn't be.

Seishirou was looking down at his plate and had to concentrate hard to remove the gleam that he knew was in his eye. So, his counterpart wasn't as oblivious about the future as he appeared. Carefully he swung his head up as if puzzled by Subaru stopping in the midst of his sentence.

Subaru decided to just smile and shake his head while trying to dismiss thoughts of the Apocalypse from his mind. There was still time, or so Subaru tried to tell himself.

Seishirou let the moment pass. Perking up, he changed the subject abruptly, "Do you like dessert, Subaru-kun?"

Subaru nodded, but then grew flustered when he realized the time. "Oh, yes, but I can't have any now, I have a job waiting for me. I'm so sorry, Seishirou-san."

Seishirou merely smiled. "All right then, we shall have to try dessert another time. You must let me give you a ride to your job."

"That- that's not necessary!" Subaru protested faintly, trying to hide how reluctant he was to part.

"I insist. I'm a bit curious to see how an onmyouji applies his art in this day in age," Seishirou answered smoothly as he signaled for the check and paid.

"I… I really shouldn't let you come along…" Subaru answered. "It's a personal thing. And it may not be safe..."

"I can take care of myself, don't worry," Seishirou countered calmly. He grinned mischievously and took Subaru's gloved hand in his. "I won't get in the way. I'll keep way in the back. Please?"

Somehow, Subaru looking at Seishirou's earnest expression could believe the older man really could take care of himself; and even take care of Subaru as well. The thought left a little tingle of pleasure as it ran through his mind.

"I…" For some reason, his usual lectures of professional responsibilities wouldn't come. "You're going to keep quiet. If anyone asks, you're my aide, got it?" Subaru found himself saying.

"Sure thing," Seishirou agreed easily enough, apparently satisfied.

Subaru wondered what he was getting into.

*

The address Subaru had been given was for a middle-class apartment in the middle of Tokyo. Tokyo Tower was visible in the distance, but aside from that, there were no other distinguishing features.

The elderly woman who answered the door looked undeniably harassed. When Subaru identified himself, an immense relief swept through her eyes, though the worried frown on her brow remained. "Please come in," she invited them.

The two men entered the apartment and toed off their shoes. "Are you Terada Michiyo? Will you tell me what's wrong?" Subaru asked. There was an aura of wrongness that hung over everything in this home.

She nodded. "It's my son... I'm afraid he may be in terrible trouble."

"What do you mean?" Subaru prompted. He had done this enough times to know that people had to be encouraged to tell their stories. Often it was a long and tedious process delving to the bottom of things. Most times, people didn't wish to reveal their deepest problems, hoping he could just solve the surface difficulty without having to reveal the skeletons in their closet. However, experience told Subaru that it was best to find out everything first before venturing into the unknown.

"He's… he's been sick… and I think…" she sighed, and sat down on the nearest sofa, which was protected by a plastic slipcover. Subaru gingerly sat down beside her. The plastic squeaked. He noted idly that Seishirou was leaning calmly against the wall, arms folded across his chest.

"Terada-san…. You have to tell me what's wrong for me to be able to help," he said, removing his hat, which was an orange beret today, and holding it in his green-gloved hands.

The old lady sighed and clenched her fists, her knuckles turning white under the strain. "It… It's complicated… we're a good family, Sumeragi-san… and I don't think Noeru would have done this… had Nobue not disappeared…" she said softly.

"Please, I can't help you if you don't tell me everything," Subaru said softly.

The kind tone in Subaru's voice must have assured her leading the lady to continue with new determination. "Nobue is my daughter. She disappeared a few weeks ago. My son, her twin is insisting that she's dead. But... I keep hoping she'll come back soon... Anyway, Noeru has done something bad, I think."

Subaru nodded. From the distinct feel around the apartment, he knew there was the power of a miscast curse bouncing around. Backlash was a very common problem with novice spell casters. People simply didn't understand that curses were not good things to play around with.

Subaru continued listening intently as the all too common tale unfolded.

"I saw that he had some evil, dangerous books. When I checked with the priest at the shrine I visit, he recommended that I call the Sumeragi family. Please - can you help him?"

"What… makes you think he's actually done something?" Subaru asked.

"One night about a week ago, he locked himself in his room… and I heard chanting. I could smell something burning, but I couldn't tell you exactly what. I'd say it was some kind of incense, but it smelled a bit too… well, not sweet, but… I just can't describe it. I've never smelt anything like it before. The next day… he began being ill… he's been throwing up, and his tears…" she broke off, dropping her eyes.

"Is he weeping blood?" Seishirou asked softly, causing Subaru and Michiyo to jump slightly.

"Yes…" Michiyo whispered, and she darted eyes back and forth between the two. "How… how…."

Seishirou's knowledge impressed Subaru. The vet hadn't been kidding when he said he knew something of the art. "It's a classic symptom of a reflected curse," he informed her. "Your Noeru probably tried to cast a curse against someone, and that person either had very good defenses, or Noeru miscast it…."

Michiyo looked crushed. "Please, help him, he's all I have now that Nobue is..." She broke off, unable to continue.

Subaru got up. "Is he here now, Terada-san?"

Michiyo stretched out a trembling hand and pointed to a door. Subaru moved over to it and opened it cautiously after knocking on it gently. "Noeru-san, hello, I'm coming in now."

Stepping inside the dim room, Subaru's sensitive nose crinkled at the sour smell of vomit that hit him. Underlying it was the unique odor of blood. He could feel the reflected energy here more strongly, so thickly that he felt like he was wading through murky water. It appeared the young man was in deep trouble. "Noeru-san, your mother has asked me to help you," Subaru said gently. He did not want to spook Noeru any more than he was already.

"Go away, nobody can help me now!" A voice snapped.

Subaru firmly flipped a light switch to reveal the crouching form of a young man huddled in a corner. "I can help you, but I have one question first. Why did you cast that spell?" Subaru asked bluntly. Sometimes a head on approach was most effective.

Noeru turned and looked at the oddly dressed man who was in front of him. "Who are you?" he demanded. "Are you another one of those counselors my mother hired to tell me that Nobue is okay?" he spat, rising slightly to his knees, wincing at the effort.

Subaru's natural empathy kicked in, and he shook his head. "I'm not…. I'm the head of the Sumeragi clan. I-"

Noeru's eyes widened. "You know!" he interrupted eagerly, and he rose the rest of his way to his feet. He took a few small, shaky steps across the room to the onmyouji. "You… you know about the Sakurazukamori!" he said.

Subaru flinched at the name, and the signs on his hands flared under his gloves, responding to the name of the one who had etched them into his flesh, so many years before. "That is not a name to be spoken lightly," Subaru said, his voice growing hard. He felt Seishirou's presence enter the room as well, but ignored him. This was more serious then he expected… his hereditary enemy was wound up in Terada Noeru's problem.

"He killed my sister!" Noeru exclaimed.

"How do you know?" he asked, his voice flat.

"I felt it when it happened. It was the most horrible thing I have ever felt. She was my twin, and when he killed her, I felt my heart torn into two," Noeru said brokenly. His strength gave out, and he collapsed back to the floor, curling up in the fetal position.

"Do you know what he looks like?" A soft question sounded from behind Subaru.

Subaru was interested as well. Did Seishirou-san know who in his family was the current Sakurazukamori?

Noeru shook his head. "No, all I felt was this dark, looming presence. But there were sakura flying everywhere and a large falcon-like bird screeching away. And then she was dead." Tears were flowing freely now from the huddled form on the floor.

"But… why did you try to curse him?" Subaru asked. "Surely you know that curses always come back to rest on their caster…"

Noeru gritted his teeth, raising his head. "Do you have a sister?" he demanded of Subaru.

Subaru nodded slowly. "I have a twin…"

"Then you should understand! I wanted him to pay for taking her away from me! I don't care what happens to me! I don't care if I die! I want the bastard to suffer!" Noeru spat.

"But-" Subaru said.

Seishirou stepped away from the wall and rested a hand on the younger man's shoulder. He leaned over so he could whisper in his ear. "You should deal with the curse backlash. If he cast it against the Sakurazukamori, chances are that it was automatically reflected without the Sakurazukamori even being aware of it… As for Noeru, you're not going to convince him of anything. The best thing you can do is lock down his spiritual powers. He's lost to all reason."

Seishirou had a point. There was very little Subaru could do for Noeru right now. The young man had dug a deep grave for himself. Even now, he could see the howling spirits from the reflected curse circling outside the window battering to come in. If they did, they would tear the man's soul to shreds leaving only a husk.

Subaru's professional instincts were triggered. Removing a handful of ofuda from his pocket, he began to place them at strategic points around the room. He shot a look at Seishirou-san, who had removed himself and settled in a far corner near the door. "Will you be all right?" Subaru asked, wanting to be absolutely certain.

"Don't worry, Subaru-kun. My meager abilities can manage a small kekkai," the older man smiled at him.

Subaru nodded, knowing that he had to trust the other man. "I… I'll be involved in spell casting. I can't protect you…" he warned, feeling slightly sick at the thought of something going wrong that could hurt Seishirou.

"I'll be fine," Seishirou assured him. "Noeru-san is your concern now. He has been able to hold off the worst of the reflection so far, but he's not going to be able to hold out much longer. You need to perform the counter curse as soon as possible,"

Noeru tried to look unconcerned, but a slight bit of fear was shining in the corner of his dark eyes.

Subaru nodded at his friend. "Raise your kekkai, Seishirou-san… I'm ready to begin," he said softly as he brought his hands together and began to chant.

Subaru began to pull at his power and poured all his concentration into dispelling the curse. The words of his chant rolled off his tongue with practiced ease.

The outrage of the invisible spirits was palpable. They did not like to be denied their prey. Subaru kept firm control and his power was undeniably overwhelming. Very little these days could challenge him in the magical department.

Noeru watched the Sumeragi as he chanted, and for a second, he had the impression that the man lit up from within, glowing with power, a warm white light that embraced Noeru and forgave him for his sins. The white light reached out and sought to wash away all the evil and pain he'd wished on another, and Noeru almost gave into it…

Then he remembered Noboe's death. "NO!" he yelled, putting his hands over his ears and shutting his eyes, rejecting Subaru.

Subaru reeled back psychically. This wasn't the first time someone had rejected him, but he had thought… "On sowa hamba shuda saraba taraman wa hamba shudokan!" Subaru yelled fiercely, throwing one of his ofuda so it landed squarely on Noeru's chest.

A final stern push was all that was needed to clear the miasma of hatred attaching itself to the young man. Subaru opened his eyes and checked around. Seishirou was leaning casually against the door now, his gaze intent on Subaru. The onmyouji couldn't make out the strange expression in those amber eyes.

Subaru shook his head and turned his attention back to the young man. "Don't try to cast curses again. You don't know how to do them and they won't affect the Sakurazukamori," he told Noeru sternly. He didn't know if the young man would take his advice but it was all he had to offer him.

Noeru didn't answer him. He just sat there dumbly.

Subaru started when a hand fell on his shoulder. Seishirou looked solemn. "Shall we go?"

Subaru cast one last backward glance at Noeru. He understood the connection the young man felt to his twin and wondered what would have been like to lose Hokuto. He shuddered. No, that was something he couldn't bear to even contemplate.

*

It was later that evening that Noeru's curse truly came to rest on his head. His mother, relieved that the Sumeragi had exorcised the demons that had been tormenting her son, had finally gone to bed. He laid awake, wondering if there was anything he could do.

"You miss your sister, don't you?" a soft voice said, coming from by the window. The voice was gentle, but something about its apparent concern sent shivers down his spine.

"Who-who's there?" He demanded, rising to his feet. He was still not recovered from the effects of the curse's backlash, and his legs shook from his weakness. Noeru thought the window had been locked, and his apartment was on the fifth story of the building. His stomach dropped as he realized who it had to be. "Sakurazukamori…." He hissed, not daring to raise his voice. His mother was two rooms over, and if she came, she would die.

The figure, still hidden in the shadows, laughed softly. "So you do have a brain. I had wondered-- casting a curse at me… not bright, boy. I have more magic in my small finger than you do in your entire family."

"Why did you kill her?" Noeru demanded. His mind was flying through ways of stopping the assassin in front of him, but all his research had led him to believe that the Sakurazukamori was practically unstoppable.

"She was the mistress of a powerful man. Did you know that?"

"You lie!" Noeru spat.

"Why would I? She just happened to hear something she shouldn't have… and she became a threat to Japan. I couldn't have that."

"Why are you here now?" Noeru asked, trembling. He was afraid, but in a way, he almost welcomed the answer.

"Why? To grant you your wish," the looming, dark figure by his window replied. A ghostly wind had now picked up around him. A distinct scent of sakura began to flood the room.

"My wish," Noeru sighed in defeat.

"Yes, to be with your twin sister, of course."

Noeru stood up to face his killer. His gasp was audible when the Sakurazukamori stepped forward into the light. "You! You were here today! With the Sumeragi! How..."

"What I do is not a matter of concern for you. Are you ready?" Sakurazuka Seishirou asked gently. He was inclined to be kind tonight. He was in a very good mood. Subaru had provided him with a most entertaining afternoon. The young Sumeragi clan head's power had resounded deeply within him. Yes, he would enjoy the chase before bringing his beautiful prey down.

"Unite me with my sister then. Damn you."

Seishirou laughed. "Curses don't have an effect on me." With an almost casual gesture, he lifted his right hand and plunged it through Noeru's chest. He let the body drop, his mind already returning to his game with another pair of twins.

~~~~~

Author's Notes:

Aishuu: I'd like to define Paradigm Shift... it's a term my philosophy teacher was fascinated with and would have various students yell at various parts during the semester. It's basically a set of ideals and concepts (a way of seeing the world) that people would follow- a shift would be a change into something totally and completely new. COMPLETE paradigm shifts in society are rare and very uncomfortable.

Xandra: From what I understand a Paradigm Shift is a fundamental change in world view. Thanks to Aishuu for letting me cry on her shoulder when I finished reading Tokyo Babylon and coming up with the seed of this idea to cheer me up. This story is entirely due to my denial that Tokyo Babylon ever happened. ^__^

Aishuu: Xandra assures me that squid in Asia is much better than we Americans get- it's nowhere near as rubbery. Also, the kekkai Seishirou raises is not a Kekkai… the difference being a capital letter! Actually, you see small kekkai raised in many manga… like Yami no Matsuei and they are a part of the onmyouji's art, so it's natural he'd be able to. The Kekkai of the Dragons of Heaven expand for MILES… over the entire battlefield. Seishirou's kekkai merely protects himself. And on Subaru's chant- I stole it from Natalie Baan's Sakura and Snow, which got it from the OAVs.

Xandra: Yes, squid is yummy. I love it. Also Enoki mushrooms are tiny strand-like pale mushrooms that go very well in ramen soups, at least in the recipes I make. However I'm not sure if they really have them in ramen in Japan. Sorry if it's inaccurate.

Aishuu: I'll just take your word for it. There's no way I'm going to eat a piece of fungus. People have already commented on Subaru in TB style clothing… well, aside from my slight obsession with it, it WILL be important later. Really. And I have a really awesome hats website bookmarked.

Xandra: It's so nice to write a 24 year old Subaru without issues. And this Subaru is powerful and much more in control of his magic than the TB one. Don't forget, he's had 10 years of practice and being an onmyouji is his full time job. But Subaru is still as soft hearted as ever so, there are certain things that he will not be doing. Last note: Thanks to Krystal for beta-ing.

Krystal: *smirks* I love being able to read installments of fanfic before they hit the message boards. Fabulous job guys. This is turning out to be a very fun beta job. ^_^

Coming up: Subaru goes on a DATE with Seishirou at Tokyo Tower! The question arises, does he love Seishirou?