Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Paradigm Shift ❯ Enter the Earth's Dragon ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Writing Team of AXQA presents: Paradigm Shift (Axqa_1@yahoo.com)

Disclaimer: The characters in X and Tokyo Babylon belong to Clamp. We're just very happy to have the chance to try them out in alternative scenarios. This is written purely for enjoyment, no profit is being made from this story.

Chapter 5 - Enter the Earth's Dragon

January 7

Satsuki sat inside Beast, entranced by the 0's and 1's that raced before her. It had taken her nearly a week to track the Sakurazukamori, something that was unheard of where she was concerned. In retrospect, it shouldn't have surprised her. The Sakurazukamori was used to keeping secrets.

Still, even he was no match for Beast. Beast would find him and it did, eventually. The chase he led her on was a long and merry one, and for the first time in ages, Satsuki felt truly alive. If this was what it meant to be an Angel, she was all for it. For once, the perpetual boredom that threatened to envelop her constantly was nearly forgotten.

The shadowy Sakurazukamori was a mythical bogeyman hypothesized in the Japanese underworld. No one ever knew who he was. Anyone who did: died. He was death; that was a fact. Satsuki considered Kanoe had been illogically bold in approaching him. Satsuki had been surprised to see her escape with her life, but Kanoe was a player in the coming Apocalypse that called for a level of boldness all in itself.

The request to track the Sakurazukamori interested Satsuki. She had not expected it to be a hard task. Getting down to it, however, her technology had been met with magic and for a while had been stymied. That alone raised Satsuki's estimation of the Sakurazukamori. Yet, even he could not hide forever. There were always physical trails and he was human, which meant eventually he had to surface somewhere electronically.

So Beast found him and Satsuki almost laughed out loud when she saw who he was: an unassuming veterinarian. There was absolutely nothing marking Sakurazuka Seishirou out from the ordinary, save his name. In hindsight, it should have been obvious. The Sakurazuka clan had long been associated with the mysterious Sakurazukamori, and its rivalry with the opposing Sumeragi Clan was legendary. Yet, even Beast had difficulty cutting through the layers, and when she learned about what his 'other concerns' were…

Satsuki did laugh aloud. Her laugh was dry and cracked from disuse, but the irony of the situation amused her. The way he was messing with the mind of the innocent leader of white onmyoujitsu was a treat to watch, and she almost didn't report his identity to Kanoe for fear of losing her entertainment. Reluctantly, however, she acknowledged that Kanoe needed to know. This was only the beginning of the great game, and Seishirou's manipulation of Sumeragi Subaru, while engaging, was minor in the grand scheme of things.

"So the Sakurazukamori is involved with the Sumeragi clan head. That's why he's not interested," Kanoe mused when Satsuki told her. "Yuuto, is this not most amusing?"

The tall blonde man was in the midst of pouring tea for Satsuki. He handed Satsuki a delicate porcelain cup. Turning fluidly to Kanoe, he replied, "I agree, Kanoe. But since the Kamui has not surfaced, does it really matter?"

"I suppose not," Kanoe said languidly. "It's not of paramount importance at the moment. But the Sakurazukamori is too powerful an Angel not to make an ally."

Yuuto sighed inwardly as he passed Satsuki a piece of pastry. He just knew he was going to be coerced into exerting himself for Kanoe. She was high maintenance and he never could refuse a pretty woman. "True, but interfering with his plans has been known to be fatal to anyone who has ever done it," Yuuto pointed out calmly.

Kanoe nodded, conceding the point while she took a sip of her tea. "Yes… but he's never been up against an Angel before." She raised her eyes and considered the two Angels she had already gathered. "Perhaps…" she said, trailing off, her eyes lingering on the computer genius.

"Beast says that the Sakurazukamori would simply teleport away, should it approach. It needs to be someone who can confront him in person," Satsuki said.

"No, we don't want to confront the Sakurazukamori again. It would not do to antagonize him. But perhaps we could remove the obstruction to him performing his duty..." Kanoe said thoughtfully, tapping a well-manicured finger to her lips.

Satsuki spoke up matter-of-factly. "The Sakurazukamori appears to be fully occupied with the Sumeragi. He will not be interested, Kanoe."

Yuuto did not like the expectant gaze that Kanoe directed him. He sighed, knowing she wanted him to volunteer, or life would be very unpleasant for him in the near future. "What would you like me to do, Kanoe?" he asked with feigned cheerfulness.

Kanoe's expression changed into a sultry look promising future delights. "Would you be so kind as to take care of the Sumeragi for me? You don't have to do it yet. As you say, the Kamui has not appeared and the Sakurazukamori's chase of the Sumeragi is very amusing. I think it might be interesting to see an Angel at his play..."

Yuuto stared into her dark eyes, and knew the wisest course would be to say no. The Sumeragi was the Sakurazukamori's toy, and breaking other people's toys was just bad manners. Nevertheless, when Kanoe looked at him like that…

"I'll see what I can do. In a month's time, perhaps?" he suggested. "The Kamui will be arriving shortly thereafter, and you'll need time to draw Sakurazuka-san into your plans."

Kanoe thought for a second. "Sounds like an excellent idea."

No one bothered to consult Beast. Had they, it would have told them that they were about to make a very bad mistake.

*

February 18

It had been a long and tiring day for Subaru. The hour was late and all he wanted was to go home. He entered the subway carriage and found it pleasantly empty, though considering how late in the evening it was; he shouldn't have been surprised. Only one other person was inside, and he lifted his head to look curiously at Subaru when he walked in. A quick welcoming smile marked the man as being friendlier than most urbanites living in Tokyo.

Subaru, being well brought up and naturally polite, nodded back and took a seat opposite to him. He really didn't feel like conversation and hoped the stranger wasn't going to make any. That hope proved futile when the man spoke up.

"Isn't it surprising that the Tokyo subway can be so quiet?" the man asked, smiling amiably.

Subaru, who traveled often by subway, nodded at the truth in his words. He was very used to being jostled and pushed while taking public transportation. It was a problem that came with being so slight and self-effacing. "Yes, it's unusual. Tokyo is such a big city with so many people, it's rare that one ever finds oneself alone," he agreed.

"But that's why I like Tokyo - the activity of this city and all the people. I count myself fortunate to meet fascinating people all the time," the stranger said, bending his head in Subaru's direction. "I'm Kigai Yuuto, a humble salaryman."

"Sumeragi Subaru," Subaru replied politely. He studied the man opposite him. Yuuto was dressed in a fashionable suit and Subaru would never have guessed he was a salaryman. He looked more like a model or someone involved in public relations. He had charisma practically rolling off him, and Subaru wondered how he ended up in a dead-end, though secure job.

"It's nice to meet you, Sumeragi-san," he said. His gaze wandered over Subaru's attire, the way most people eyes did, though unlike them, he made no effort to hide it. There was a boldness to him that was unusual, but Subaru found it refreshing. "I must say you have an amazing sense of style."

Subaru sighed. Today he was dressed in white and silver, with a snowflake motif. Fitted white jeans were fastened with a silver belt, which featured a snowflake buckle. His shirt was of very fine white wool, and Hokuto had woven small silver snowflake designs into it, which glittered when the light caught them right. His gloves were white as well, but the stitching was silver, and unashamed to be seen. A white fluffy furgora lindale hat completed the outfit, complete with a silver snowflake pin, which was jauntily pinned to one side. It was one of the most subdued sets of clothing he'd worn in years.

"My sister designed it. She's a fashion designer, and I'm her live mannequin, apparently," he said with the air of someone used to giving this explanation, his lips quirking in amusement. He clutched the green jacket Seishirou had given him, well aware that Hokuto was getting frustrated by the limitations his insistence on always wearing it were putting on her fashion designs. She had to cut back on some of her colors, and not being able to make him wear other jackets was driving her nuts.

A little glimmer of wariness was surfacing within Subaru. He wondered why Yuuto was constantly smiling at him so oddly. A stray idea surfaced to offer an explanation. Surely, he's not trying to flirt with me, Subaru thought, dismayed. Yuuto was handsome in his way, but Seishirou was the only one Subaru had ever been remotely interested in.

Yuuto laughed gaily, tossing his flaxen blonde windswept bangs back. "Ah, the lengths we men go through to keep our women happy," he said. "But I suppose it's all worth it in the end."

"I suppose," Subaru agreed dubiously. He looked up to see the train pulling to a stop at his station. "Uh, this is my stop. It was nice to meet you Kigai-san."

Yuuto got up along with him. The man smiled charmingly at Subaru, saying, "It appears I am to stop here, too." Yuuto glanced at him thoughtfully. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Certainly, but a quick one?" The doors of the train would open and close with amazing speed, and woe betide the passenger who didn't move quickly enough to make their stop.

"Do you believe in something after death?"

Subaru's eyes widened slightly. He'd heard talk like this before, from total strangers, and from the spirits of those who had committed suicide and didn't realize they were dead. He peeped at the salaryman from beneath long lashes as he thought over the question. Subaru's natural empathy kicked in as he stood beside the man and he tried to show how much he believed the truth of his words. "I'm an onmyouji. I know there's something more."

"I'm glad you think that way," Yuuto replied dryly. His lips thinned in a small mirthless smile, giving Subaru only a moment's warning that something was terribly wrong. For some reason, Subaru's finely honed reflexes kicked in and he was barely able to dodge the swift slash of Yuuto's knife.

The train door opened and with a quick backward flip, Subaru vaulted away from the man. His mind was racing as he tried to put a little distance between the two of them. Confused questions raced through him. Is the man crazy? Why is he attacking me for no reason whatsoever? Aloud Subaru cried, "Why are you doing this?"

Yuuto gave a short laugh. "You could say Fate, Sumeragi-san. I've been trying to avoid you and yet here you turn up, right before me. Who am I to say no when Fate wills that our paths cross?"

Subaru frowned. He had no clue what Yuuto was talking about, though it sounded suspiciously familiar. Again, he danced away from that slashing knife even as he groped about for an idea of how to subdue the man. He concentrated, and raising his hands, threw some of his ofuda at Yuuto, activating them. Fluttering wings dived at Yuuto, who dodged aside easily.

Subaru's eyes widened. Kigai Yuuto wasn't an ordinary man. He could see and defend against the glowing white shikigami.

"I wanted to make this as easy as possible, Sumeragi-san. This isn't personal, but it has to be done. If you insist on fighting, though, we can do things the hard way." Yuuto's smile remained disconcertingly polite while he dropped the knife. It clattered to the floor with a cold ring, and Subaru's stomach dropped while he wondered what Yuuto was going to do next.

"Trying to kill someone is always personal, Kigai-san," Subaru said, inching towards the train door. To his distress, the door chose that moment to shut, and the train leapt forward, throwing him off-balance.

The other man must have been waiting for that moment, because he chose that second to strike. Yuuto took a prodigious leap that was impossible for an ordinary man, and launched a weapon that flew towards Subaru too quickly for him to see. More through luck than anything else, he managed to evade it. The hard metal pulverized the pillar next to him, sending a shower of concrete dust up into the air.

Subaru fell into an awkward roll and tried to regain his feet. Yuuto's speed told him that he couldn't underestimate the man. Something trickled down his cheek. He made a quick check with his hand - blood.

The onmyouji shrugged it off as a minor scratch. Another quick dodge allowed Subaru to maneuver closer to the staircase. Taking his chance, he pelted up to the surface, with an intently murderous Yuuto hot on his heels.

Subaru whirled around, exerting his powers to leap up to a higher vantage ground. There he took a moment to access the situation. Hastily he sent another flock of shikigami fluttering in to attack to buy himself time.

Yuuto stood below, his lips pursed in a thin smile. With a casual wave, he swung his weapon around him, forming a barrier against Subaru's attacking shikigami.

Subaru's eyes widened when he saw it. That was no ordinary weapon. Impossible! Has the battle for the end of the world begun already? Quickly Subaru put his hands together and concentrated. His star-shaped shield expanded to envelop everything for miles around. The resulting silence in the Kekkai was astounding.

Yuuto halted for a moment. "A Dragon of Heaven?" He exclaimed in surprise. "You're one of those… who are…" He stared at Subaru as if the onmyouji had just debarked from a spaceship.

Now Subaru was confused. "I assumed that's why you're trying to kill me!"

Yuuto continued to stare at him, jerking his weapon to a stop. The implement was a bladed nunchaku, and Subaru already knew that unusual as it was, Yuuto was an expert with it.

"Hmmm… what a tangled web we weave… or allow others weave us into," Yuuto mused. "Nice Kekkai," he commented, admiring the Seal's work. "You do realize that I'm going to have to kill you to get out of here now."

Subaru's eyes widened. The implications of his duty as a Dragon of Heaven were slowly sinking in. He was definitely not ready for a fight to the death right now. However ready or not, this was what he was going to have to do.

Yuuto leaped up towards Subaru, lashing out with the sharp dagger end of his whip. Subaru ducked. The tip whistled past him and cracked explosively against the wall inches from where he was standing. Half of the low building collapsed from the force of the blow. Subaru ignored the damage, as all would be restored when he retracted his Kekkai or it would be beyond his worry if Yuuto got the better of him.

"There's no Kekkai here, not at this station!" Subaru tried to point out, sketching a protective pentagram in the air. "The Kamui hasn't even arrived in the city… why are you fighting with me?" he asked, hoping to talk the Dragon down. Please, I'm not ready to fight! Subaru thought.

Yuuto wore the pleasant smile that he hadn't lost since the beginning. His voice was conversational, as though he was discussing nothing more consequential than the weather. "I was told to remove you… the fact that you're a Seal is merely a bonus. Besides, I refuse to start something I can't finish. It's sloppy, and a good public servant abhors a mess," he said. Once again, he lashed his nunchaku out, and again Subaru easily evaded, calling on abilities he hadn't needed before to jump across the tracks.

Apparently, Yuuto had anticipated him. "Got you!" the Chi no Ryuu announced, and Subaru's eyes widened in horror as Yuuto's whip landed in the building about ten feet from him… and with a loud CRACK started to bring it down.

With a supreme effort, Subaru leaped out of the way, but didn't manage to move far enough. A stinging pain on his leg let him know he was in deep trouble. He fell to the ground, clutching the limb. The flesh was torn open from a sharp piece of rubble, and a check on his ankle revealed the damage. He was not going to be able to put much stress on it. However, bad though the situation was, Subaru was NOT going to give up. He had too much at stake. Determinedly he reminded himself of Hokuto-chan, Seishirou-san and all the people in Tokyo who were counting on him.

Subaru took himself to task, setting his jaw. He just wasn't fighting back properly. He had to get serious. He took a split second to consider his options. Dodging was out now. Quickly he incanted a spell, setting a five-pointed star in a defensive barrier before him. A shower of sparks bathed him in an eerie light when Yuuto's whip smashed against it. Rapidly reaching out with his full power, he threw a psychic blow in the form of an ofuda at Yuuto.

The blast caught Yuuto off guard, knocking him sideways and into a building. He had not been defending himself carefully since the white onmyouji hadn't been attacking seriously. Frowning, Yuuto pulled himself from the rubble, trying his best to restore his unruffled appearance. Blood was flowing from his arm. Yuuto's fervor for killing the Sumeragi was dampened and he was beginning to rethink going through with Kanoe's order.

The two Dragons stood regarding each other. They were at a bit of a stalemate.

"Next one who attacks, I kill," a cool voice said, cutting through them.

Both men's heads whipped around to see an attractive young woman dressed in a high school fuku, standing on top of a building, a sword in her hand. She was gorgeous, but something about her calm eyes said that she had the ability to carry through with her threat.

"Who-who are you?" Subaru stuttered, forcing the pain in his leg to the back of his mind.

Yuuto looked at her as well. "I'd like to know that as well."

"I am one who is involved in the Foreordained Day, as are you," the girl said, studying them closely. "Would you proclaim your sides?"

Yuuto's charming grin returned in full force. "The lady puts me a bit off guard. A three-way fight is just so unnecessary. How about you take down your barrier and we finish this some other time, Sumeragi-san? Like you stated earlier, there's no Kekkai here, so this battle is becoming pointless."

Subaru was more than willing to take his Kekkai down. He heaved a sigh of relief; glad he didn't have to fight anymore. Placing his hands together, he retracted the huge shield that was his symbol and looked around. All the damage from the battle was miraculously erased.

Yuuto directly a patently false smile at the other two and casually sauntered off. "Ja ne," he called back flippantly.

Subaru remained where he was, still tense and alert for any attack. He kept a careful eye on the girl, who didn't appear to be making a move to leave. "How did you manage to enter my Kekkai?" Subaru asked her curiously. He knew his Kekkai was powerful. No other Dragon should have been able to enter it save the Kamui, and he was sure this girl was not Kamui.

"I was here all the time. Hinoto-hime sent me," the girl replied blandly.

Subaru's brow raised at the name. So, the dreamgazer was keeping an eye on him. He hoped he hadn't given a totally bad impression of his competence tonight. He knew he hadn't done everything that he was capable of doing in the fight with Kigai Yuuto and he was ashamed.

The girl's next words confirmed his embarrassment. "You are far too kind, Sumeragi-san. I understand you're an onmyouji. If so, you should have several offensive spells at your disposal, and you used none of them. You should have defeated him - instead, you let him nearly kill you, since you didn't want to hurt him." Her dark eyes lingered on him.

"We weren't fighting over a Kekkai," he protested, a bit lamely. "He attacked me for no reason that I could figure out… he seemed surprised that I was a Seal!"

The girl blinked in confusion, but she didn't let him off the hook. "If anything, that should have made you fight harder. If he was willing to attack you unannounced and for no reason, who knows who he'll attack next? He's not sane-- and the next victims most likely won't be Seals. They won't be able to defend themselves." Her cold pronouncement rang in his ears. "Their death will be your fault."

Subaru was rocked by her words. Their inherent truth sent an overwhelming surge of dismay through him. His lips quivered at the thought that he could have prevented an innocent death, even if the death had not happened yet. Yet somehow, he knew he was never going to be able to kill first and ask questions later. His fight with Yuuto could all have been a misunderstanding. Death had a certain finality and Subaru was not prepared to cross that particular threshold yet.

"If I did as you said, then I should be attacking you now. I don't know your name. You're a total stranger and you've threatened me," Subaru replied with a narrow stare. His words were bravado and he knew it. He was not in a condition to be fighting anyone right now. Gingerly he tested his leg. He wasn't sure if it was broken but the throbbing pain let him know he ought to get it looked at.

The dark haired girl bowed haughtily. "I'm Kishuu Arashi, one of the seven who are Dragons of Heaven."

Subaru blinked at her. There were only a few people powerful enough to join in the battle for the sake of humanity. Crossing out the most obvious candidates, it appeared he probably knew of this girl. "You're the hidden maiden of Ise," he concluded.

She nodded slowly. "And you're Sumeragi Subaru, thirteenth head of the Sumeragi Clan, who lead the onmyouji of Japan." She ran her eyes over him from top to bottom, and though her face remained serene, he knew he failed to pass her test. "You are powerful, but your reluctance to use those powers is a flaw which may cause a Kekkai to fall someday."

He didn't say anything, concentrating on slowing his breathing to cope with the pain in his ankle. It felt as if he had broken it, and though as a Seal, his healing powers would be heightened, that didn't mean he didn't feel the pain. Unable to face more of her accusations for the moment, he said, "Excuse me, Kishuu-san. I need to go get my injuries treated."

She blushed slightly, and seemed a bit embarrassed, the first open emotion to cross her face. "I'm sorry," she said softly. "I forgot your injuries were bothering you… can I-" she began to offer.

He felt his heart soften towards her, and a smile found its way to his scratched face. "I'll be fine," he assured her. "I have a friend who lives near here, and he's a doctor."

Arashi seemed to accept his words at face value. "Then I shall leave you." She made as if to leave but turned around at the last minute. "Be careful," she cautioned rather reluctantly before leaving.

Subaru stared after her. He wondered a bit about his fellow Seal. She appeared to be an enigma. A trickle of blood running down his leg and his aching ankle reminded him of his state. Sighing aloud, he limped away. Hokuto is going to freak out when she sees me next, he thought.

*

Subaru would have been surprised to know that a rather similar conversation was taking place a short distance from where he was.

Yuuto had been doing his nonchalant best to return to his rooms beneath City Hall. He was not looking forward to explaining why he was late to Kanoe. However, he considered Satsuki might have informed her. Beast probably knew very well that a Kekkai had been raised this evening, and what Beast knew, Satsuki knew.

He came to an abrupt halt when he sensed more than saw a presence. "I know you're there - why don't you come out?" Yuuto asked politely.

He wasn't at all surprised when Sakurazuka Seishirou materialized from the shadows, a large shikigami in the shape of a hunting bird perched on his wrist. The Sakurazukamori threw his wrist upwards, launching the bird up into the night sky. Yuuto lost track of it, though he didn't doubt that it was circling them.

"Nice night, isn't it?" he remarked cheerfully, trying to ignore the look of sheer ice from the focus of Seishirou's gaze.

"Kanoe sent you, didn't she?" the assassin asked blandly. More than any passion or threats would have, his mild demeanor sent a chill down Yuuto's back.

Oh, shit, he thought. I'm about to become tree food if I don't do some fast-talking… the Sakurazukamori is thoroughly not happy with me. "Oh I was just playing around, don't mind me, Sakurazuka-san," Yuuto said, turning his best vapid smile at the assassin.

"But I do mind," Seishirou said grimly.

"Please accept my apologies, I had no idea you and that Seal were connected. He's a very entertaining person, and very pretty too," Yuuto remarked offhandedly. He was doing his best not to show any fear or give up any ground, knowing well that the hunter nature of the Sakurazukamori would pounce on any weakness.

Seishirou frowned imperceptibly. He would not underestimate this man. He was a fellow Angel and should have an equal amount of power. Seishirou had observed the recent battle from afar but was constrained from entering Subaru's Kekkai, not that he had any idea what he would do if he had been able to enter the Kekkai. He was not ready to expose himself to Subaru yet.

"He is pretty, but he's marked as mine…" he said warningly. " Since you attacked him, and here, where there are no major Kekkai, I assume that Kanoe sent you to… remove what she believed was distracting me from joining her." Seishirou took a step towards the other Angel, and it was only through sheer force of will that Yuuto didn't attack or run, or do something else stupid.

"Ah but he's a Seal. Would it not be better for you to find amiable company among those with similar interests?" Yuuto's voice turned suggestive. He marveled at Seishirou's powers of deduction. He had hit the nail on the head.

Seishirou waved away the question with a casual hand. "The company of those with similar interests is usually unable to hold my attention for very long. Surely a man of the world like yourself would agree that a little spice can make life so much more interesting?" Seishirou's soft voice held a distinct warning.

Angels were supposed to be evenly matched, but Seishirou had been killing his entire adult life. Something warned Yuuto that an angry Sakurazukamori would win if he sought to oppose him now.

"Well, he's not that badly hurt," Yuuto said. "Since he's a Seal, he'll be healed by tomorrow- no harm done!" he pronounced, trying to make light of the situation.

"Yes. And that's the only reason I don't kill you now," Seishirou said, and the smile that lit his face was decidedly unpleasant. "Take a message back to Kanoe for me."

Yuuto opened his mouth to agree, but before he could say anything, Seishirou had him pinned to a wall, a strong hand around his throat in a manacle-like grip. It all happened so fast Yuuto didn't even see the assassin coming. Yuuto's tried to gasp for breath, but his airway was cut off.

"Sumeragi Subaru is my prey. No one is to interfere with me… the one who does, dies."

Yuuto kicked his legs in reflex as they dangled a good six inches above the ground. It was hard to remain unflappable in such a situation. Just as he was thinking of summoning some water to strike at the Sakurazukamori, he found himself dropped back to the floor. He brought a hand up to his neck and rubbed at it, eyeing Seishirou warily. He straightened as best he could and said a little hoarsely, "I understand."

Seishirou slipped his dark glasses back on, all while keeping an intense watch on the other man. However, now that the tension was over, his voice was almost genial. "I am a Dragon of Earth, but I will decide my own actions. You might consider not letting a woman dictate what you do," he advised Yuuto.

Yuuto smiled his trademark disarming smile. "But I am such a soft hearted person that I have never been able to disappoint a woman," he said. Then a wary expression entered his eyes, "Nevertheless, I shall give your suggestion serious consideration."

The Sakurazukamori raised a brow. He didn't care to continue this conversation any further. Still facing the other man, he took a step back and let his illusion mask his departure.

*

Subaru's feet were dragging pitifully during the short journey to Seishirou's home. It wasn't that he was physically exhausted but rather his soul was wearied. Arashi's words echoed around in his head, weighing layer on layer of guilt on him. So it was when the door to Seishirou's home opened, he found himself unable to hold back his tears before the man.

"Subaru-kun! What's the matter?" Seishirou exclaimed, shocked at the sight of a quietly crying Subaru.

"I fell down a flight of stairs," Subaru mumbled lamely. It was the best excuse he could think of off the top of his head. He wanted to tell Seishirou about the fight with Yuuto, but he didn't want the older man dragged into the battles that had just begun. Seishirou may know onmyoujitsu, but he would be no match for someone of Yuuto's caliber and it stood to reason that the other Dragons would be just as powerful.

"Did you?" Seishirou said, and though he raised an eyebrow, there was no pressure or accusation at the obvious lie. "I'm glad you came here. Come inside, and let me see if I can do something about those injuries."

Subaru gave him a grateful smile. "Thank you," he whispered. He was caught by surprise when Seishirou swung him up in his arms and carried him over to the plush, black leather couch. "Seishirou-san!" he cried surprised as he was plunked onto the seat.

"Anything for my Subaru-kun," Seishirou called as he disappeared into the bathroom, presumably to get medical supplies.

Subaru's head went limp against the back of the couch. Casting those spells and raising the Kekkai had taken a lot out of him, and Yuuto had managed to hurt him. Though the wounds weren't life threatening, he knew he had to look a proper mess, and Seishirou was probably worried.

I shouldn't have come here, he thought, looking down at his ruined clothes. The white clothing he had worn only made the blood stand out more dramatically. Miraculously, his green jacket had survived unscathed, but he knew he looked like he'd just been on the wrong end of a schoolyard bully's ire.

"Come, will you help me get you out of your clothes, Subaru-kun?" A soft touch on Subaru's shoulder roused him temporarily.

Subaru allowed Seishirou to remove his jacket and pants, leaving him in his shirt and boxers. While Seishirou examined his bloody leg, he miserably wrapped a blanket about himself.

"Your ankle doesn't appear broken. But it looks like a bad sprain," Seishirou commented academically. He was inwardly impressed at Subaru's healing rate. There was something to be said about the advantages of being a Dragon. He set about carefully cleaning the blood from the gash and binding the ankle up. By the time he'd finished, he looked over at Subaru who was listing heavily into the sofa, hiding his face forlornly.

"Subaru-kun?" he said softly. "Is there something you want to tell me?" he prompted.

Subaru looked at the vet's kind eyes, and wished he had the courage to tell him the truth. "I…" he tried, then lowered his dark lashes, unable to say anything else.

Seishirou moved over onto the couch, and Subaru just stared at him as the vet slid next to him. "You need to rest," he instructed. "Wounds like that need to heal." His hand grabbed Subaru's right shoulder and eased him down, and before Subaru knew it, his head was pillowed in Seishirou's lap. "Whatever happened tonight, Subaru," he said gently, "I'm sure it wasn't your fault. You need to forgive yourself."

Subaru made no reply. He was fighting hard to hold back a fresh bout of tears. He felt like a downright failure at the moment, and Seishirou being so kind and understanding made him want to break down entirely and wail from his misery. No, I can't, I have to stay strong. Struggling a bit to shift upright, he grabbed hold of Seishirou's shirt and said, "I should be going home."

Seishirou simply looked amused. "Nonsense, you'll stay here tonight. You're in no condition to go anywhere." With that, he gathered Subaru up in his arms again and walked to his bedroom, gently settling Subaru down beneath the soft covers. "Don't worry, I'll watch over you," he said, as he moved a hand over Subaru's eyes, sending him into a peaceful slumber.

Straightening up, he examined the graceful form sunk deep in repose. "Go to sleep, Subaru-kun.... I'll watch over you, as closely as your shadow."

~~~~~

Notes:

Aishuu: For those of you not into computer speak, all computers run on a computer language based in 0's and 1's… thus, Satsuki in the Beast. According to my "deep thoughts" issue of Animerica, Yuuto's weapon is a bladed nunchaku. Always wondered what the hell that thing was called, didn't you?

Xandra: I'm so sorry for making Subaru a rather pathetic weepy uke in this chapter. Sigh, he really isn't cut out for fighting, plus the guilt trip Arashi laid on him was unfair. Anyway the scene of him crying on Seishirou's shoulder was in the TB canon. Fate, or rather the two of us, are apparently bowing to the inevitable. Oh yes, I wanted a lemon after this scene but Aishuu refused. *sniffle* This chapter has taken me two weeks to revise. I kept working on it, and then losing what I wrote when my computer crashed. It's enough to make a grown woman cry.

Aishuu: Arashi comes off as the standard "bitch Arashi" unfortunately, but I think she was less than impressed by Subaru's abilities… considering he wasn't fighting to kill, I would be, too. I went overboard with the outfits again… but, oh, my hat catalogue! If you're interested here's the website for what Subaru's hat looks like: http://www.millerhats.com/kangol_catalog/kangol5.htm

Xandra: Credit goes to KrystalRose for being our beta. She's become an important part of our Triumvirate. Hugs!