Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Paradigm Shift ❯ Foretellers of the Future ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Writing Team of AXQA presents: Paradigm Shift

Disclaimer: We have no claims on any of the characters in this story. All X and Tokyo Babylon characters set within this story are the property of CLAMP.

Chapter 4 - Foretellers of the Future

January 2, 1999

Subaru could feel the weight of the date as the year turned. He could feel the energy gathering around him. He could feel the players drawing closer to Tokyo, and he could hear the spirits whispering their nightmares and hopes. Everywhere he went, he felt the invisible Kekkai surrounding him, and he knew that soon, too soon, battle would be waged across the streets He would be called to summon the Kekkai of the Dragons of Heaven, and take his place in the war for the fate of humanity.

It was 1999, finally--less than a year remained until the Promised Day, and he felt more alive than ever before. He had been born for this and the strange exhilaration scared him. He was a pacifist, but knowing that soon his fate would be met filled him with a sense of satisfaction.

He had spent a pleasant New Year's Day with Hokuto, though he had to resist all her efforts to find out exactly what happened on his date with Seishirou. It had been surprisingly easy to deflect her. All he had to do was ask her about her mystery date on Christmas, and she let the matter drop.

It saddened him to know that he and his sister were finally keeping secrets from each other.

However, Subaru was happy. His relationship with Seishirou soon fell into a comfortable routine. Most mornings, the kindly vet would come by and join him and Hokuto for breakfast. Then if Subaru didn't have a job, he would accompany Seishirou to his clinic and help with the animals. Subaru was glad to put to use the knowledge acquired from his long-neglected animal biology degree. He had always had a passion to help animals but he never had the chance to fulfill that love, his profession taking first priority with him. Now being with Seishirou at the clinic proved he could have the best of both worlds. Then sometimes when Seishirou was free, he would accompany Subaru on his jobs.

One morning, a phone call interrupted his happy routine.

"Subaru-san," an elderly voice sounded on the other side of the line.

"Grandmother!" Subaru exclaimed in surprise.

"I'm going to need to meet you tomorrow. We have an appointment with someone," she said, her soft voice, despite her age, still strong and commanding. "It's time."

"Time?" Subaru asked, baffled.

"Hinoto-hime has asked to meet you, Subaru-san," his grandmother said. "I'm going to take you there…"

Subaru leaned against the wall, forcing himself to breathe. "Hinoto-hime… she…"

"She is the one who walks through dreams and foresees the future. She is the one who will anoint you as the first among the ones to support the Kamui, when he comes to decide the fate of man."

Subaru looked around his spotless kitchen, and almost laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. Subaru was half-dressed in another of Hokuto's costumes, having discarded the over-jacket of gold since the zip was broken. He was currently squeezing oranges for juice, one of the peels in his hand, and his grandmother was telling him that his fate was upon him. He wondered if it was some kind of sign. It was not an auspicious beginning.

He had always been an obedient child, and being twenty-four made no difference in his relationship with his grandmother. So he found himself bowing to no one while he replied, "Yes, Grandmother. I will go with you."

Subaru hung up the phone and took a moment to ponder the situation. The fate of the earth: would he be up to the challenge of protecting humanity? In his heart he knew there was nothing he wouldn't do to protect Hokuto. Now he could add Seishirou-san as a special person for him as well.

Subaru came back to himself with a start to see Hokuto staring curiously at him.

"What did Obaasan want, Subaru?" she asked inquisitively.

"I have to go somewhere with her tomorrow."

"Who's Hinoto-hime?" Seishirou asked. He had obviously caught part of Subaru's conversation.

"She's…" he trailed off, not wanting to worry Seishirou, but knowing that telling him the truth was impossible as well. Subaru decided to go with a half-truth. "She's someone I'll be working with…"

Seishirou raised an eyebrow. "Does she need your services?"

Hokuto looked curious for a second, but then noticed the barely perceptible stress-lines around the edge of her brother's eyes. "It's probably something confidential, Sei-chan," she chirped. "If Obaasan is involved, then it's going to be intense… and Subaru doesn't want you hurt," she said, tapping Seishirou on the head playfully. "Sometimes there are things he can't even tell me, and I'm a Sumeragi!" she declared, faking a pout.

"I'm sorry," Subaru said miserably. "Please don't worry, it's all going to be all right." At least I hope so, he thought anxiously to himself.

*

The next day saw Subaru standing by the steps of the Diet Building, waiting patiently for his grandmother. He vaguely remembered of having done something like this once before, but try as he might, he couldn't recall when. A sudden tingle ran up the backs of his hands and he resisted an urge to take his gloves off to scratch the skin. It was very odd. His reverie was interrupted when he heard his name called.

"Obaasan. How are you?" He bowed to his grandmother.

"Well enough. You're looking well too," she replied formally. She paused to give him a lingering look, assessing the state of his health before sweeping past him into the building.

As Subaru followed her into the Diet building, he was struck by how formal and traditional his grandmother was. Comparing her to Hokuto, he wondered just how the two most important women in his life could be related.

His grandmother looked straight ahead, never pausing to take in the fantastic surroundings of the building. Hokuto would have been bouncing all over, snapping pictures and asking questions. His grandmother moved with elegant movements that seemed lethargic, but were efficient. Hokuto would have been a poster child for energy excess. Subaru watched as she went to an elevator and opened the doors for him.

"Which floor?" he asked.

She glanced around, making sure they were alone as the door slid shut before revealing a secret panel below the button for the basement. "Hinoto-hime lives below the basement here," Lady Sumeragi told her grandson. She focused her intense eyes on him for a second. "You haven't met her before," she stated.

He shook his head.

She nodded. "She's paralyzed, blind, and mute--she speaks telepathically," she quickly explained as they descended. "Don't be surprised by anything that happens. Remember, you're the thirteenth Head of the Sumeragi Clan. You rank with anyone you will meet."

Subaru swallowed. He knew he still had problems dealing with his supposed exalted status. Hokuto was always going on at him for not being assertive enough. Nevertheless, while at work, he could when he wanted to, summon enough presence to impress his clients. It had been a problem in the past, but now that he was older, it was easier. Of course, people still tended to underestimate him because they were often too busy staring at his face and clothes.

Walking into the cool dark room, Subaru was hard-pressed not to shiver visibly. A feeling of unease had settled into his bones, and he couldn't explain why. A strange doll-like woman huddling on the floor looked up at him. Around her, three of her attendants knelt.

"I am Hinoto. You must be the thirteenth clan head of the Sumeragi. I'm very grateful you could find the time to meet me." A soft girlish voice resounded in Subaru's head.

"Oh, no, it's not a problem at all," Subaru replied, bowing to his waist. "I'm Sumeragi Subaru. I understand you had something to tell me?"

Hinoto's red eyes regarded Subaru for a moment. Then dramatically she said, "I wanted to ask if you were going to be ready for the coming battle when the fate of all mankind will be decided."

"I want to protect everyone. I will not let Tokyo be destroyed," Subaru said determinedly.

A troubled expression creased Hinoto's features. "But for you the road ahead will be dark. Your greatest enemy, the Sakurazukamori, will come for you. Even now, the grip of destiny is upon you. You will not be able to escape this fate," she warned.

Subaru paled slightly. The Sakurazukamori was his particular bogeyman. He had never encountered the mysterious assassin who used dark onmyoujitsu to kill. Surely, he was up to the task facing him.

When Subaru said nothing, Hinoto continued, "I wanted to speak to you because your place by the side of the Kamui of the Dragons of Heaven is special. You will be called upon to choose a path that may cause great pain to him."

"Why would I hurt the Kamui? I am a Dragon of Heaven, I will not betray him!" Subaru protested.

"Perhaps not. But you may be betrayed in turn instead," Hinoto sighed in resignation. "All I can do is tell you to be on the alert."

Subaru looked at her uneasily, wondering why it felt like her words were layered with something he didn't understand, but would come back to haunt him if he didn't take the time to listen. "I have always been ready to serve the Kamui…. It has been foreordained," he whispered.

Hinoto's unseeing eyes gleamed sorrowfully, though it might have just been his imagination. "Destiny has two routes it can choose now, Sumeragi-san. The route of the Seals will lead to the salvation of mankind… or the route of the Angels, who will bring about its destruction. Within this year, fate will decide its course, and even I cannot see the end." She leaned forward slightly, and Subaru instinctively stepped towards her to catch her should she fall, even though her twin attendants were keeping careful watch over her.

"Subaru-san… the Seals are gathering. As they come, keep a watch for them and for the Kamui… for me. Bring them to me, if they will come… I have other servants, but you are the one who best understands the ramifications if the Seals fail in their duties." She seemed to sigh a little. "Prepare them… and yourself…. For the coming of the Kamui."

*

Blood trickled in tiny drops from the end of Seishirou's hand. He looked at the stain on his dark glove a little thoughtfully; comparing it to the ubiquitous ones that Subaru always wore. Smiling, he thought about how gloves were such useful multipurpose things. He knew about the warding spell on Subaru's accessories. As if it would deter me, he smirked to himself.

Nonchalantly, he directed his attention at the body by his feet. The man had begged and pleaded and had tried to impress him with the extent of his political power, but it had not moved him in the slightest. When will people learn that the Sakurazukamori did not bargain? At any rate, there would be no body. The man would just have to disappear mysteriously. As he began to summon the spell that would whisk away the evidence, he felt a disturbance on the edge of his protections.

It wasn't enough to prevent him from completing the final spell to offer his victim to the Tree, but it was enough to make him wonder if he should have taken extra precautions. He had been indulgent, today, killing in broad daylight, but the knowledge that Subaru was taking his place among the Dragons of Heaven was making Seishirou feel decidedly irritable. They had a bet. There was no time to mess with such trivialities like the Promised Day.

If there was one thing Seishirou hated, it was being told what to do, and having fate selected for him didn't sit well on his shoulders. He couldn't see why Subaru allowed himself to be dictated to that way. Chuckling to himself, he murmured, "Subaru-kun, you are too gentle."

The body burst into fragments of the sweet and seemingly innocent flowers from which he took his name. Seishirou allowed his barrier to break, wondering who was rude enough to attempt to intrude--and if that person knew that he had just walked into his death. Seishirou smiled, and it wasn't the pleasant veterinarian smile that Sumeragi Subaru knew; it was that of the hunter that stalked the city of Tokyo, gifting death to all those he deemed a threat to Japan.

"You are the Sakurazukamori," said the tall, lush woman who appeared before Seishirou. She paused dramatically before introducing herself, "I am Kanoe."

"Why should I care?" Seishirou pointed out. He had been tempted to kill her quickly but she had identified him. That made him a little curious.

Kanoe straightened even more, thrusting the front of her chest enticingly at him. "The Foreordained Day is at hand. You are one of the Seven Chi no Ryuu. I am gathering you all to prepare for the battle against the Seven Seals," she said, tossing her hair back to reveal a symbol on her forehead.

Seishirou was a little impressed in spite of himself as he wondered just how she managed not to have her clothes fall off her entirely. He couldn't resist a little smirk at how blatant she was. Yet, he held his hand. He knew the symbol on her brow marked her as a yumemi, which probably meant that she knew he wouldn't be doing her any harm, or why would she be confronting him. But he would not be dictated to. Calmly, he lit a cigarette and inhaled. "Even if I am one of the Dragons of Earth, it is of no concern to you."

Her eyes widened slightly at the rejection, and she licked her lips. "Even though I am not one of you, I serve as an advisor. I know more about the coming battles than you do, and with my guidance, you can win," she whispered, sashaying closer. He caught a whiff of her heavy perfume, and smiled slightly. She was another predator, and his respect for her rose, along with his instinctive dislike.

"That's assuming I care about the Foreordained Day," Seishirou said, smiling blandly at her. "I've lived most of my life without worrying about it, and I don't intend to change now," he told her.

She rested her hand on his shoulder, and her long, sharp nails were too close to his throat for comfort. "You're afraid to face your destiny, Sakurazukamori-san?" she purred, leaning in to speak into his ear. "That doesn't sound like the assassin that all of Tokyo should fear."

He laughed as her, grabbing Kanoe's white hand in a bloodstained glove, and squeezing it, hard. To her credit, she didn't flinch. "I have… other concerns. I have no intention of dropping them for something as petty as the end of the world."

Kanoe's eyes narrowed. She was obviously not used to people denying her anything. Seishirou found small amusement at being able to do that. His was a contrary character. Even as a child, he did what he willed, which was probably why he ended up making that bet with Subaru despite every good sense telling him he should not have done so.

For amusing him, Seishirou decided to let her live. The hard look in his eye softened as he released her; making her fully aware just how close she had skirted the edge of death. "Ja ne," he called back flippantly as he exited.

Kanoe glared after him. Tossing her hair back, she stalked off back to her lair. She entered the cool room that was deep underground in the basement of the government offices. "Satsuki," she called.

The throbbing hum that was Beast stilled. A hatch opened and the girl perched atop the huge machine looked down. Wires retreated from her skin as she detached herself and gracefully leapt down from the super computer. Kanoe had seen the sight often enough not to be disturbed by it.

"Yes, Kanoe?" Satsuki asked, sounding monotone.

"I just met another of the Angels… The Sakurazukamori."

Satsuki's dull eyes seemed to light up slightly. "The Sakurazukamori? Is he coming here?" she asked.

"No. He claims to have…. other concerns."

"He doesn't want to take his place as an Angel?"

Kanoe ground her teeth in frustration. "So he says. I want you to do your best to figure out what his 'other concerns' are. We'll have to change his mind. He can't avoid destiny!"

"He sounds interesting. I don't think he will bore me," Satsuki replied contemplatively.

Kanoe's voice was dry as she remarked, "That is such a good thing to hear. I wouldn't want you to feel bored." Kanoe caressed Satsuki's face gently before she swaggered out the room.

*

Subaru's mind was troubled as he traveled back up the elevator with his grandmother. She was looking at him, unsure of what to say about the strange and dark portents Hinoto had revealed to them. Subaru looked down on the ground, wondering just what choice he was supposed to make. Suddenly he felt a desperate wish to escape - from destiny, from the need to fight. He really did not want to hurt anyone.

"Subaru-san, will you be all right?" Lady Sumeragi asked.

Subaru was abruptly brought back to himself. "Yes, grandmother. I think you shouldn't stay in Tokyo any longer. Please go back to Kyoto."

"What about Hokuto?" she asked, her eyes filled with worry.

"I…" Subaru dropped his eyes, unwilling to explain that he believed that his sister had a boyfriend and would be unwilling to go. "You know her. She's stubborn- she won't leave. Besides, come the Final Day, no place will be safe."

His grandmother nodded. "I will leave, then--you don't need more targets. The Angels will not play fair- never expect them to. They will strike at those you love, and it's only because your sister can protect herself that I allow her to stay. You should consider telling her the truth, though, about your destiny. Had she been more powerful, she would have been clan head, and she would be playing your role."

He nodded. "I'll tell her, when the earthquakes begin. I've warded her place as well as I can, and her place isn't on any major Kekkai. Should the Angels start succeeding, I'll send her to you… but for now, I'm very certain she will not agree to leave."

"Be safe, Subaru-san. And beware the Sakurazukamori," his grandmother said just before she turned left, out onto the street, leaving her grandson alone.

Standing there in the afternoon sun, Subaru couldn't stop himself from shivering at the mention of that title. It was so near to Seishirou-san's family name. Subaru couldn't help thinking about the man he was involved with; the one who was currently courting him so gently and kindly. An intense longing to see him suddenly seized Subaru, but he gulped inwardly when he realized that one day he would have the task of introducing the vet to his grandmother if things continued progressing the way they were.

After the Final Day, he thought. I'll stall until then…. Because she'll either be very happy that I protected the world, or we'll all be dead.

As if his thoughts had summoned him up, a voice called his name. "Subaru-kun!" Seishirou waved at him as he jogged up.

A brilliant smile transformed Subaru's face. All sober thoughts of destiny and choices and the Kamui fled his mind. "What are you doing here, Seishirou-san?" he exclaimed in surprise.

"I was filing some papers at the government offices nearby and was amazed to catch sight of you! Is your business finished? Will you go for lunch with me?" Seishirou asked hopefully.

Subaru was reminded of his empty stomach. He smiled gratefully and nodded.

"How did your meeting go?" Seishirou asked. "Or am I not allowed to know?"

Subaru's gaze dropped, wondering how he would survive a year of keeping the secret of the Foreordained Day from Seishirou. He wondered what he would do when he received injuries from the upcoming battled over Kekkai. He knew it would be a matter of when, not if. Subaru had enough self-awareness to realize that his pacifistic nature, despite his training, would make it hard for him to kill anyone who fought against him. The problem was this attitude would get him killed.

"Subaru-kun?" Seishirou prompted when Subaru didn't answer for a few minutes.

"Oh? Oh- I'm sorry, Seishirou-san! I got… distracted. The meeting went well enough, I suppose… I just wish I didn't have to deal with it." Subaru fumbled about for an answer.

Seishirou smiled and wrapped his arm around Subaru's waist. "Some people are born to greatness, Subaru-kun. It's a hard destiny, but you'll do splendidly, no matter what fate throws at you," he promised reassuringly.

Subaru stiffened in spite of himself. The last thing he wanted to hear from Seishirou was talk about fate and destiny. "Maybe," he replied shortly.

Seishirou moved his arm over to rub Subaru's shoulder reassuringly, earning a grateful glance from the younger man. Seishirou knew exactly where Subaru had just been. It was no secret that the Dreamgazer, who directed the Japanese government, lived under the Diet Building. As the Sakurazukamori, he had enough links to the dark side of the government to know about her. Seishirou knew Subaru had just been similarly propositioned as he was by Kanoe, and was a little curious as to what the yumemi had revealed to him. It obviously wasn't about him being a Dragon of Earth, since Subaru hadn't jumped up and attacked him on sight.

"You know you can tell me anything, but you don't have to if you don't want to," Seishirou told Subaru with his best friendly smile.

Subaru looked on the verge of saying something but held back at the last minute. "Perhaps, but not today, Seishirou-san. I promise I will tell you. Soon," Subaru said sadly. There would be no keeping such a terrible secret from Seishirou much longer but for now. He simply wanted to put thoughts of the end of the world from his mind.

Seishirou seemed to be thinking hard as they walked down the street, his arm still resting around the younger man. It was a sign of how distracted the onmyouji was that Subaru didn't notice any of the looks they attracted. All of a sudden Seishirou stopped, jerked Subaru out of his preoccupation.

"Seishirou-san?" He asked curiously. "I'm sorry if I'm ignoring you, maybe-" he began to apologize, hoping he hadn't offended the man too badly.

"Look in that window," Seishirou said, pointing to one of the smaller men's boutiques.

Subaru's eyes widened. "Has Hokuto-chan gotten into you?" he asked, immediately catching onto what had caught the vet's attention.

Seishirou laughed easily. "Hokuto-chan would never dress you in that. It's not outrageous enough," he said. Seishirou tilted his head thoughtfully at Subaru and added, "But it would look really good on you."

Subaru shrugged. He didn't care much for clothes. It was simply easier to allow the people in his life to dress him as they wished. He just didn't understand their collective enthusiasm to make him wear things. "If... if you say so, Seishirou-san," Subaru replied doubtfully.

"Come on," Seishirou said as he tugged at Subaru's wrist towards the entrance.

"But Seishirou-san, I don't need any more clothes. I have plenty," he protested while holding onto his hat and staggering forward with Seishirou from the momentum.

"Yes, but I haven't bought you anything yet," Seishirou said.

Subaru's protests wilted. "Fine. But… green? I mean, who wears a…" he sighed, realizing the question was ridiculous coming from someone dressed in a modified hakama, cropped top and tie, with a coat made of metallic red fabric.

Seishirou laughed as a salesperson approached them. "We'd like to see that jacket you have in the window… in a size small," Seishirou said, as he looked Subaru up and down.

The woman smiled at the two men, obviously enraptured by the devastatingly beautiful pair they made. "Coming right up!" she said, bustling off.

"Seishirou-saaan…" Subaru whispered, turning bright red. "I hate clothes shopping!"

"I'm sorry," Seishirou said contritely. Turning appealing eyes on his friend, he added, "Please bear with this for a little while? For me?"

Subaru sighed. Put that way, can I refuse? So he stood there stoically and watched the sales assistant remove the jacket from the rack and hand it to Seishirou.

Seishirou dramatically swung it out and held it open, gesturing Subaru to try it on. Subaru slipped his red coat off, carelessly throwing it on a chair. Then he let Seishirou help him put the jacket on.

Seishirou carefully patted at Subaru's shoulders and brushed his arms down his sides to get the lines to fall out properly. Then he turned Subaru around to take a good look at him.

"It's perfect," Seishirou said quietly.

Subaru blushed slightly while Seishirou placed his hand on Subaru's shoulder and guided him over to a mirror. The full-length mirror was three-sided, designed to let a person view himself from every angle. Subaru had the strangest feeling of falling as he stared at the three Subarus and three Seishirous behind them. Still, Seishirou was right. The jacket suited him very well.

It was bright, emerald green, the same impossible shade as his eyes. It was a basic trench coat design except for the material. The shiny onyx buttons were made of some high-quality material, and matched his hair perfectly. As he studied his reflection and felt the light pressure of Seishirou's hand, he knew he'd end up buying it.

He took one last look at himself in the reflection. Hmmm, Seishirou did have a good eye. Carefully slipping it off, he said softly to the sales assistant, "I'll take it."

A hand closed over his, prompting Subaru to look up in surprise into Seishirou's earnest amber gaze. "I'll buy it for you. I've been wanting to give you something for the longest time," the older man said.

"I co-couldn't possibly," Subaru stammered. The coat was beautiful and well made, which meant it was correspondingly expensive. Subaru felt bad letting Seishirou to spend so much on him.

"Don't worry. I may be a humble veterinarian, but I have very few expenses. Please let me buy this for you?"

Again, there was that beseeching, earnest look. Subaru caved like house of cards under it. He nodded. He wondered if this was how it was going to be for him, that he was never going to be able to deny Seishirou anything he wanted, ever.

~~~~~~

Notes:

Aishuu: A hakama… I'm so fascinated by them! The pleats in the traditional hakama represent five virtues: benevolence, justice, manners, wisdom and trustfulness. It's appropriate for Subaru to where this day, no? Also, Seishirou meets Kanoe… yes, she seems a bit slutty, but when doesn't she? Still, she's a bit more complex then her first appearance suggests.

Xandra: Whee, things are moving along. Both sides are preparing for the Foreordained Day. Hinoto is being obscure. Whether she's lying to Subaru or not, its up to you to decide. There is lots of foreshadowing , in particular please note Subaru's special place by Kamui's side. *rubs hands in glee* And that green jacket is going to be one special coat. Watch out for it in future chapters.

Aishuu: I like the jacket, but let me tell you, designing outfits around it is damn hard. Since TB is happening concurrently with X, Subaru's grandmother is not paralyzed. Finally, you will see this version of Subaru is at the same place that TB Subaru is on the Sakurazukamori… he doesn't remember the Bet.

Coming up... the first battle begins.