Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ To Rewrite Destiny ❯ Awake ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Damn it, I've been so busy with Aprés that I completely forgot about this fic. Sorry to those who have been waiting. Don't be mad at me! I can't stand having people mad at me. *cowers under her desk*

Chapter One

"Subaru, where were you?" Hokuto demanded as her brother toed his shoes off. "You're late! Sei-chan's been waiting for you for the past forty-five minutes!"

"Gomen," Subaru said. "I was accompanying someone to the hospital."

Hokuto's angry face turned worried.

"What happened?"

"I don't know," Subaru replied. "I was at Tokyo Tower when I saw him lying on the ground. He was bleeding heavily from a wound in his chest."

"Will he be alright?" Hokuto asked.

"The doctor said that he'd pull through. Nothing vital was hit and they're replacing the blood he lost."

Hokuto sighed in relief. "That's good."

She walked off into the kitchen. Subaru walked over to the table where Sakurazuka Seishirou sat. The veterinarian looked up at the sixteen-year-old.

"Okaeri, Subaru-kun," he smiled.

"Thank you," Subaru replied. "I'm sorry I'm so late, Seishirou-san."

"That's all right," Seishirou told him. "I hear what happened. Thank goodness that boy will be okay. Did you find out who he was?"

Subaru shook his head. "The doctors couldn't find any ID and he's too drugged to speak."

Hokuto came out of the kitchen balancing three plates of food. She placed one plate at each chair then sat down. Subaru and Seishirou thanked the elder Sumeragi twin for the food and the three of them began eating.

"Oh," Subaru said suddenly. "I'm going back after dinner to check on the boy."

"Why don't I take you there?" Seishirou offered. "Hokuto-chan and I could meet this boy as well."

"Oh, you don't have to do that," Subaru protested. "I'm sure you're tired after a long day and the hospital is so far out of your way…"

"Come on, Subaru," Hokuto said, rolling her eyes. "Let him take you. The two of you need to spend more time together if you're going to deepen your relationship."

"Hokuto-chaaaaan!!" Subaru exclaimed, blushing wildly.

"Please, Subaru. Let me take you there. It's no bother to me."

After a few minutes, Subaru gave in and agreed to let Seishirou drive him to the hospital.

Kamui woke up after having fallen asleep shortly after Subaru had left. He was a bit hungry, so he called for the nurse, surprised to find that his voice was back.

The nurse checked on him, left the room, and was back shortly with the infamous hospital milkshake. She handed it to Kamui and left again. As Kamui watched her walk out the door, he noticed Subaru standing outside.

"Come on in, Subaru," he called.

Subaru, who looked a bit startled that this boy whom he had never met knew his name, nodded and came in. He was followed by a girl who looked identical to him and an older man. Kamui took one look at the man and, with a shudder, immediately recognized him as Sakurazuka Seishirou, the Sakurazukamori.

"Are you feeling better now?" Subaru asked, holding his had to his chest.

Kamui nodded. "Yes. It still hurts, but I'm better."

`That's good," Subaru said. He paused. "If I may ask, what is your name?"

"Kamui. Shirou Kamui."

"Konban wa, Kamui-san," Subaru said. "I guess you already know who I am. But I suppose you haven't met my companions."

Subaru turned to the girl and Seishirou.

"This is my twin sister, Sumeragi Hokuto. And this is…"

"Sakurazuka Seishirou," Kamui finished, coldly.

Seishirou looked a bit surprised that Kamui knew his name and his eyes turned dark under his glasses. Subaru blushed, feeling silly that he was introducing Kamui to someone he already knew.

"So, Kamui-chan," Hokuto said. "How do you know Sei-chan?"

He was a Dragon of Earth before Subaru killed him, Kamui though. He said, "He's the vet I brought a sick puppy to a while back."

It was a lie, yes. Kamui had never met the veterinarian, Sakurazuka Seishirou, but he knew from what Subaru had told him during the year of destiny that Seishirou had worked as a vet. Though his statement was false, it seemed true enough to Hokuto.

"I see," the elder Sumeragi said. "It must have been a day when Subaru and I weren't there."

Kamui nodded and sipped at the milkshake he had been ignoring. The room was quiet for a few minutes. Subaru pulled out a piece of paper and a pen. He wrote something down then handed the paper to Kamui,

"Give me a call when you get out of here," he said. "I'd like to see you every so often."

Kamui nodded and took the paper from Subaru. The younger Sumeragi gave a smile and turned. He and his companions said good-bye and left the room.

Weeks passed as Kamui's wound healed. The doctors kept asking if Kamui remembered what had given him such an injury. Kamui lied, saying he could remember; it wasn't as if he could tell them it was from a battle that wouldn't happen for nine years.

Subaru would often come in to talk to Kamui. It was hard for Kamui to talk to the onmyouji without thinking about his future self, the one who had taken him from Within himself. The Subaru of this day and age was so different from the Subaru he knew: cheerful, kind and polite, compared to cold, angsty and alone.

"Kamui-san?" Subaru asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Huh?" Kamui shook himself out of a daze. "Oh, it's nothing. I was just thinking about…someone I know."

"Oh. Well, I should be going. I'll come by again tomorrow."

"Ano…Subaru?"

"Hai?"

"Ummm…." Kamui hesitated. "I'm being released tomorrow, but I have nowhere to go."

"You don't live with your family?"

Kamui shook his head. "My mother died. And all my other family is gone as well."

Well, that wasn't exactly true. His mother, along with the entire Monou family was alive and living in Tokyo, but he couldn't go to them and explain that he was Kamui, just from nine years in the future.

"Oh. Well, I suppose you could stay with me. At least until we can find a place for you."

Kamui's eyes widened. He hadn't expected that. "Really? Thanks, Subaru?"

"It's no problem, Kamui-san. My apartment is big enough. And I can get a spare bed for you, easily."

"Thank you."

"Just give me a call and Seishirou-san and I can pick you up."

Kamui cringed inwardly. He didn't want to be anywhere near the Sakurazukamori. "Okay."

Subaru stood and picked up his hat. He gave Kamui a small bow before leaving the room.

Kamui's dreams that night were filled with blood.

//A pale, thin hand covered in crimson blood protruded from a man's back. A moment later, it slid out, the man falling into his killer's arms. His mismatched gold and white eyes met a mirror-image pair of emerald and white eyes…//

Kamui rolled onto his side, clutching the blankets to his chest.

//"Why?..."//

The voice was one choked with tears. Pain and sorrow, terror and disbelief veiled the face of the young man who had just done what he had never truly wanted to do. Kamui shivered

//The fallen man leaned to whisper into the other man's ear. He fell, breathing his last.//

Kamui had seen this happen and now it haunted him. The pain and sorrow had been felt by him as well as the man who had killed the fallen man.

//Sobs choked the young man. "You never say the things I expect to hear, do you?"//

Kamui shuddered with silent sobs as his dream changed.

//Blood ran down the older man's arms. He was slumped against the trunk of the Sakura.//

Kamui's sleeping face twisted into one full of heartbreak. Sorrow and pain filled the young teen's face.

//He closed his mismatched eyes as a teenager ran towards him. The teen was too late to help him. //

Subaru! Kamui's mind screamed in his sleep.

//"I'm sorry, Kamui. I can't live without him…"//

Tears slid from Kamui's closed eyes. His sobs wracked his fragile body. Those scenes tormented him in his dreams. As they had before the final battle, the months between Subaru's death and his own, supposed, death. They came to him whenever he closed his eyes. Always the same scenes. Dreams of blood, of death, and of pain.

They would never stop.

So, here's the first chapter of my story. I really want to change the title of this fic, but I'm absolutely at a loss. Aquaria ditched me `cause she feels worthless because she can't come up with any ideas for anything and Orion is too busy nagging at me to finish writing my lemon for Aprés. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.