Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Back Again ❯ 1.Why? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I do NOT own trigun. Please R&R! That is all.

` '- Vash's thoughts

/ /- Meryl's thoughts

* *- Milly's thoughts

1. Why?

It had been two years sense the battle with Knives. Now Knives loved humans and had stayed in the city of July, they rebuilt it, to be a docter. Vash was on his way back to the insurance girls. He soon came upon the small city. `They wouldn't have waited this long but I guess it never hurts to try.' He slowly made his way to the house he had shared with the two girls. Right before he opened the door he could hear someone crying. `What the…' Before he could finish his thought he herd a voice.

"It's okay, Milly. Shhhhh calm down" Meryl's voice came as just a whisper.

"Meryl I'm so sorry! I souldn't have let that happen to you!" Milly's voice was much louder than Meryl's.

"It's okay. You couldn't have stopped it."

"But I should have been there to do something!"

"It's not your fault Milly! Lets just put it in the past. The sheriff cought the guys that did it so lets just leave it alone.'

"O-okay Meryl."

`What in the world could that have been talking about? Mabey I should read some minds to figure it out.' So Vash cheeked Milly's thoughts first.

* I wish I had been there. Mabey I could have stopped it. If only her derringers hadn't been at the gun cleaners. I hope she is as alright as she is acting. I really wish Mr.Vash was here.*

`This is getting me no-where. I better check Merlys mind'

/Ow. That will be a bruise in the morning. It's a good thing Vash wasn't here today. He would have just tried to play hero and would have gotten himself killed./

`I guess I will just have to check her memories.'

~~Meryls memory of earlier that day~~

"Tell us where Vash is! We don't want to have to hurt this pretty lil' face of your's!" There were two men that had cornerd Meryl in an ally. Bounty hunters. The man that had been talking hit Meryl. "Tell us where Vash is!"

"Never! Even if I knew where he was I wonldn't tell you!" The second man hit her in the face with the blunt end of a knife sending her sprawling on the ground. He then kicked her in the stomach a few times.

"Your gonna' regret saying that lil' missy!" yeld the first man while he pulled out a gun. He shot around her head a few times. `Tell us where he is!"

"No." Meryls voice came just above a whisper. "Who's down there?" A new voice called out. Soon the sheriff appered. "Hold it right there! Drop the gun!"

~~end memory~~

Vash had silent tears rolling down his cheeks. Meryls thoughts continued.

/ I wish Vash were here. I miss him so much. I never even got to tell him./

`Tell me? Tell me what? I shouldn't have come back. I'll only bring them more trouble if I stay. But then again if I don't stay more people will hurt them while trying to find me. I'll Stay.'

Upon vash's last thought he gently knocked on the door. "Meryl, you go ahead and go to bed, you must be tired. I'll get the door." Millys vocice came floating through the door.

"That's okay Milly, I'll get it." The door nob jiggled as Meryl spoke. Soon the door was open. "How may I help…" Meryls mouth hung open as she looked at the tall gun-man in front of her."…Vash?" Meryls eyes where brimming with silent tears of joy.

Vash couldn't speak. Though she had a bruise on her cheek where the bandits hit her she was still the most attractive and desirable creature he had ever met. Her brows were no longer creased with anger giving her the look of pure innocence. She had grown to be a little bit taller and no longer wore the Bernard Daliy Insurance thingy outfit. Instead she wore a short black skirt and a toruoise blouse with a black cape still conciling her derringers.

"Nice to see you to, Meryl." Vash stated with a `real' smile on his face. A grin spread across her face and (even though Vash knew he'd probably be hit) Vash picked her up into a giant bear hug. To his surprise she hugged him back. Tears were flowing from both there eyes. He finally set her back down on the floor. Some how they had managed to waddle inside and shut the door during the hug.

"Meryl, who was it?" Milly came walking back into that room. "Mr.Vash!!!" Milly ran and recived her hug, though it didn't last as long as Vash's and Meryls had.

"Do you girls think you have run for a third room mate here?" Vash asked with an all to fimilar innocent look on his face.

" A third? Don't you mean a forth Mr.Vash?' Mill asked, a confused expression playing across her face.

"A forth? But when I left it was just you to girls and m…"

"Milly, Meryl I'm ……" Woolfwood walked into the small living area he shared with the girls. "….home. Well if it isn't Vash the stamped! Nice to see ya Neddle Noggin!!

"Woolfwood? How in seven hells are you alive?'

"Long story short I just am. God couldn't let me die when I had such a beautiful women to take care of." Woolfwood put his arm around Millys waist at his last comment.

"I always new you to had a thing for each other. Anyway is there any possible chance I could stay here with you guys?" Vash put on his best puppy-dog eyes and looked at Milly. `Milly would never say no to this face'.

"Well Mr.Vash, we only have to bedrooms and Woolfwood and I share one, so you would have to share one with Meryl. But there is only one bed so you to can chose who gets it. Good-night!" with that Milly an Woolfwood went to their room for there own dinner (each room had a bed kitchen and table w/ some chairs).

"Are you hungry, Vash? Come on and I'll make us some soup."

"That'd be great, Meryl!" Vash rang out as they entered her "room". The door shut behind them.

"What did you just say?" Meryl's eyes had widened.

"I said [That'd be great, Meryl.]." Vash said slowly, unsure if he had some how managed to piss her off already.

"That's the first time you've said my name." Meryl stated quitly.

Vash's could only manage to get out in a husky whisper, "Mabey I should have said to you that I lo.."

Soudenly the light went out.

"Damn-it! That's the third time this week!" Meryls voice snarelled in the not all to dark room (the last rays from the sun were shining through her window). Meryl got a chair and a new light-bulb and set to work. First the old one came out. Then she began screwing in the new one.

Suddenly her chair tipped and started falling forward. Her eyes were closed in anticipation of the pain that might take place when she hit the floor. But she didn't feel pain. She only felt something warm against her. Holding her. She slowly opened her eyes to look up and find Vash looking down at her with utmost concern on his face.

"Are you alright?" Vash said as he brought a hand to her face to brush away some stray hair. She couldn't answer. So she simply nodded. They stood like that for what seemed like hours, though it was only a few minutes.

"you can have the bed to-night. I am sure u haven't slept in a decent bed in the last few days." Meryl stared off a conversation snaping Vash out of a day dream.

"What size bed is it?"

"Queen size. Why?"

A devilish grin spread across vash` s face "We can share!"

Vash pulled Meryl over to the bed. "It's plenty big!"

"oh, ok! Go change into your p.j.'s and meet me back out here.

When vash had finished changing he stepped out of the bathroom to find Meryl curled up on top of the covers asleep. He gently picked her up and pulled of the covers. Then he quietly laid her down on one side and he crawled onto the other. He pulled the covers up around them and whispered to the darkness, "Goodnight Meryl." And with that he placed a gentale kiss on her forhead.

Just before Vash's eyes closed into sleep he herd Meryl mumble something from her dream. "umve you, Vash" A gentle smile played across his lips as he wrapped an arm around her an pulled her closer to him. She buried her head into his chest and slept peacefully. Soon Vash also found himself in a world of dreams.

Like me first chater?

R&R