Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ I Love You Rem ❯ A New Friend ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I Love You Rem Chapter 2: A New Friend

"I wonder how do I even get to Warren?" Rem asked herself as she walked through the desert. "Huh what's that?" she asked herself as she saw a thing that looked to be going very fast toward her.

"Hey there what are you doing way out here all alone?" a heavy man wearing a baseball cap asked as he pulled up right behind her.

"What is this thing?" Rem asked staring at the strange machine he was sitting in.

"It's car come on you know what a car is right?" the man asked a little confused.

"No I'm sorry but I've never seen anything like this before," Rem said and began circling the car looking at all the doors, gears, and wheels.

"Lady are you sure your ok?" the guy asked he was kind of worried she might of hurt herself and lost her memory because she had never seen a car before.

"Oh yeah I'm fine," Rem replied still looking at the car.

"May I ask why you are in the middle of the desert all by yourself?"

"Oh I'm looking for someone they said he is in Warren," she said and stopped investigating the car and began to talk to the man face to face.

"Your trying to get all the way to Warren on foot?" the man asked now even more concerned.

"Yes I don't know where it is or how to get there but I know somehow I will find it I believe in my heart that I will find it," Rem said with a look of determination on her face.

"Yeah well Warren is still 300 iles away from what remains of July," the man told her.

"How far away is July?" she asked.

"It's about 60 more iles that way," he replied and pointed to the west.

"Oh really that is a long way but I'll get there I'm not giving up," Rem said.

"Yeah well I'm going through July so I can take you there and part way to Warren."

"Really you would let me come with you?" Rem asked.

"Well yeah you seem like a nice young lady and it's dangerous to be out here alone," the man replied.

"Why is it dangerous?" Rem asked.

"Well there are lots of guys out here they want to be as bad as Vash the Stampede and if you run into them all alone who knows what will happen to you," the man said.

"Are any of the men him? Are any of them Vash?" Rem asked.

"Well know the man who used to lead them he said he was Vash but then he was caught and turned out to be a fake."

"Oh I see," Rem replied half sad and half glad that Vash wasn't in with those men.

"What's wrong?" the man asked seeing the sad look on her face.

"Oh nothing I was just hoping my friend was around here."

"I see well you said before some guy told you he was Warren if that is true I doubt he'd be around here."

"Yeah your probably right," Rem said.

"Well we should probably go hop in," the man said and pointed to the passenger seat.

"Ummm… ok…" Rem said as she was trying to get the door open.

"Oh yeah I forgot you've never seen a car before, here," he said and leaned over and opened the door for her.

"Oh I'm sorry I never introduced myself my name is Rem."

"Hello there. Rem that's an unusual name can't say I've heard it before" the man said as he turned the wheel so they would head for July, "My name is Duke."

"Duke huh well I haven't heard that man before either," Rem replied.

"So what did you say your friend's name was?" Duke asked.

"His name is umm…. Steve," Rem said knowing she couldn't tell him she was looking for Vash the Stampede.

"Steve I've heard that name before. How did you get separated for him?"

"Well we weren't really separated he just moved away and I lost track of him for awhile that's all," Rem said trying to make herself sound convincing.

"Oh I see well I hope you find him," Duke replied as they got closer to July.

"Yeah I hope so too," Rem replied. "Hey is that July?" she asked she could see the remains of old buildings and houses.

"Yep that's July."

"So you can take me half way to Warren?" Rem asked.

"Yeah I'm pretty sure I can," Duke replied as the came to a part of July it looked to be in better shape then most the town and there were poor people living in what remained of the buildings.

"People live here but why?" Rem asked seeing all the poor people.

"Because they have no place to go this is their home it's all they have," Duke said and slowed down and stopped.

"Oh I see," Rem said and looked at all the people that lived there. "So what are we stopping here for?"

"I come here and give these people food," Duke replied and got out of the car and walked around to the trunk.

"Hi Duke," a man said as the people started coming to the car.

"Hello everyone how are you?" he asked and pulled a few bags of food out of the trunk.

"We are good did you bring us some food?" a little boy asked.

"Yep I did I brought lots of food for you," Duke replied with a smile.

"Oh boy," the boy replied.

"Hey who is that?" a little girl asked and pointed at Rem who was getting out of the car.

"Oh that's Rem she's my new friend and she would like it very much if you all would play with her right Rem," Duke said and looked at Rem.

"Oh yes that would be great," Rem replied.

"Yay we have a new friend we have a new friend!" the kids yelled, "Come on let's go play tag."

"Ok let's go," Rem replied with a smile as they all ran to an open spot to play their game.

"So she is a friend she seems nice and the kids seem to like her a lot," a man said as they put the food on a table so the people could eat it.

"Yes she is a very good person and I'm glad I met her, you don't meet very many nice people now a days," Duke said as they began to watch the kids play their game.

"Ok, ok that's enough for me I can't run anymore," Rem said and sat down.

"Ok hey guys lets go eat," a little boy named Mitch say and they all ran to the table full of food.

"They are good kids," Duke said as he sat down next to Rem.

"Yeah they are I feel so bad for them, that they have to live like this."

"I know I bring food here for them every month I do my best to help them out," Duke replied as they watched the kids eat.

"Well I think it's a wonderful thing you're doing," Rem said.

"Well we should probably go it's getting dark," Duke said and stood up.

"Ok," Rem replied and followed him to the car.

"You know I've been thinking," Duke said as they headed for Warren.

"Yes?" Rem asked.

"Well since you where so nice and played with the kids I've decided I can make my trip a little bit longer and take you all the way to Warren."

"Really oh thank you so much!" Rem said happily.

"Hey no problem we should be there by about 10:00 tomorrow morning so why don't you get some sleep I'll wake you up before we get there," Duke said.

"Thank you so much you don't know how much this helps me," Rem replied.

"Hey you helped me by playing with the children so I figured I should return the favor and take you all the way to Warren."

"Oh thank you so much," Rem said and drifted off to sleep.