Trinity Blood Fan Fiction ❯ Trinity Blood the Movie ❯ Scene Eight- Fever ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8 Fever
 
Abel, who held Esther in his arms, flew across the stormy night sky as rain poured down on them. Thunder and lightning repeatedly struck around them. Esther looked up at him. His face was a bit pale and his whole body was soaked and cold from the rain. “Abel,” she managed to say, “Where are we going?”
 
“I don't know.” He replied in a hoarse tone.
 
“What about Father Tres and Ion?” She asked and looked into his burnt red eyes. He just kept looking straight and answered, “I'll contact them once we've arrived where we are going.”
 
She sighed lightly and looked down at the ground below them. She noticed that they were in the countryside of Nordrvegr. Fields quickly moved underneath them and then she spotted an old, tattered barn. “Abel? Why don't we stay there tonight?” She asked as she pointed down at the barn. He nodded and took her down there. They landed about five feet away from it.
 
Esther let go of him and walked up the barn door and found it ajar. She opened it more and it was very cozy looking, even though some of the roof had holes in it and the rain leaked in a bit. She smiled and then heard a splash behind her. She turned to see Abel with his face flat in the muddy ground as he lay there.
 
“Abel!” She cried and rushed to his side. She plopped down beside him and shook him. “Abel! Abel, please wake up!” She cried as thunder sounded and lightning struck again. She noticed is pale face was paler then before. She placed her hand on his wet forehead. “You're burning up!” She exclaimed as she quickly pulled her hand back. “I have to get you inside.” She whispered and picked up his right arm. She draped it over her shoulder and pulled him to lean on her back. The she dragged him inside with all her strength.
 
Once inside, she looked around to find some place to lay him down. She spotted a pile of hay and dragged him over to it. As she did the wind blew harshly against the old barn and thunder and lightning struck. She placed him into it and looked around for some blankets.
 
She only managed to find an old brown one that was probably a horse's blanket. She brought it over to him along with an old bucket that was haft filled with rainwater. She placed the blanket over his legs and set the bucket by his feet.
 
She reached over and unbuttoned his brown jacket and white shirt. She removed them and tossed away from his body. She untied the black ribbon holding his silver hair together and let it fall down into the hay and around his neck. She removed his glasses as well and placed them next to her. Then she pulled the blanket up and wrapped it around him.
 
“I need a rag…” She thought as she glanced around the old barn again. She looked down at her sleeve. “This will do.” She muttered and lifted her sleeve up to her mouth, bit it, and pulled it apart with her teeth. She ripped it off and dipped it into the bucket of rainwater, ringed it out, and placed it on his forehead.
 
“Lord, please let Abel be all right.” She prayed silently.
 
The wind howled as it whipped against the barn again, making it creak. Thunder and lightning stuck again and the rain continued to pour on he rooftop.
 
Esther almost fell asleep when a big crack of thunder sounded and she gasped. Abel snapped awake with a gasp, but continued to lie there. He looked at her with eyes of fear, sadness, and tenderness.
 
“Esther?” He whispered. She looked down at him with sympathy and said, “Abel, go back to sleep.” He nodded and closed his eyes again. She got up and wandered around the barn. She saw an old, black trunk leaded against the one of the walls. She cautiously strolled up to it. She unlatched the two aged gold latches and slowly opened the top. She peered inside nervously. She pulled out the trunk's treasure. It was a navy-blue dress, similar to hers. She draped it over her arm and took out another white shirt like hers. “The Lord provides, doesn't He?” She whispered and began to change into the new shirt.
 
Meanwhile after Esther left his side, Abel had opened an eye and watched Esther wander about the barn, open the trunk, and pulled out the new outfit. When he saw that she was changing, he shut his eyes close. After a minute or two, he opened them again. Esther finished changing and was pulling her hair out from under the dress. He quietly got up and dizzily walked over to her and leaned his arm, shoulder, and head against a beam of the barn.
 
Esther had just pulled her hair out from her dress went she heard a shaky male voice behind her. “Esther…” It called. She turned around and saw Abel leaning against a beam. “Abel!” She gasped and walked over to him. “What are you doing up? I thought I told you to go to sleep.” She scolded and would have continued but he wrapped his arms around her shoulders and buried his head into the crook of her neck. “Abel…” She gasped.
 
Suddenly she felt something wet and hot drop on her shoulders as Abel breathed in deeply and quickly. “Abel, are you crying?” She whispered. After a long pause of silence and Abel's sobbing, he finally spoke quickly. “I'm sorry.” He whispered into her ear.
 
“Sorry?” She repeated. “For what?”
 
“I yelled at you and almost ended up in losing you. You were just trying to help, when you tried to touch that needle in my back. But I didn't want you to touch it. If you touched it, you could have been poisoned.” He explained.
 
“Poisoned? Abel then-” She exclaimed but he cut her off, “No. I'm not poisoned. The poison was made for humans to kill them. All it did to me was give me a fever.” He inhaled deeply through his nose, taking in her scent as he thought, “She smells like fresh roses,” and then exhaled on her neck.
 
His breath sent chills down her spine. Slowly she wrapped her arms around him.
 
“I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I let you worry about me for so long and almost lost you when I was finally able to return to you. I'm so sorry.” He cried.
 
“All is forgiven.” She whispered. “My love.” She added, softer than her whisper hoping that he wouldn't hear it. However, he did and held her even tighter.
 
Thunder cracked and lightning flashed again and Abel suddenly looked up. His crusnik senses told him danger lurked about the shadows. He pulled away from Esther and walked over to the trunk where she was earlier.
 
“Abel, what is it?” She asked as she watched him wander over to the trunk.
 
He ignored her and looked straight into a long body mirror that had a fancy, aged gold trim. He looked at his reflection, but what he saw wasn't his reflection. It was Cain's.
 
Furious and astonish at the image, he gathered up a fist, ran up to it, and punched it. Causing it to crack and shatter behind his fist. Realizing that Cain's image was forged by his mind, he dropped his hand down by his side. Blood dripped from his right hand and onto the ground. He turned and wearily staggered back to his bed of hay.
 
Esther, astonished by his behavior, followed him. After he threw himself into the bed with a deep breath, she plopped next to him and put her hand on his forehead. “He's hotter than before!” She told herself silently. Then she grabbed the rag that she made with her sleeve and dripped it into the bucket of rainwater. She pulled it out, wringed it out, and placed it on his forehead.
 
“Abel, are you okay?” She asked and he looked up at her with his compassionate, blue eyes. “Esther, I'm fine. I just need to rest.” He told her and she nodded.
 
Suddenly she was pulled down and lying next to him. “Abel!” She gasped when she realized that he was the one who pulled her. He smiled and said, “Please, don't leave me. You are the only person who can make me feel better.”
 
She blushed deeply at his comment. “Oh, all right.” She sighed and closed her eyes. “Good night.”
 
“Good night.” He whispered and cuddled up next to her, almost like at cat or a dog against his owner. “My love.” He added silently.