Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: Warning: I have no idea where I'm going with this story after Acid Tokyo. Hopefully by the time I get there I will know. I also have no idea how this story is going to end. Wait, I think I already said that. I realized while writing this chapter that I have know idea how to write Mokona. Help, please? Thank you everyone.
Last Time: It was all gone. Everything he loved and cared about was gone. The last two years of his life had just disappeared. And he could never get it back.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 2-
 
Fai stared at the man across the room; stared at the man who had condemned him to living through the hell this journey had-will-become; stared at the man who he wanted to hate but couldn't. He stared and it took every once of his will power to stop himself from breaking down in front of him all over again.
 
He took a deep breath and focused. He had stopped hiding behind a smiling mask after Tokyo but it had taken Kurogane a horribly long, terribly difficult time to get him to stop hiding at all. He had had two years to get used to not smiling when he didn't want to; two years to show what he truly felt but even after all this time he still was able to pull up his mask without any problem. “Nothing's wrong, Kuro-chan.”
 
He watched as the man glared at him, anger sparking behind the red eyes and couldn't help but remember the man's sad but resigned look when he'd called him by his full name in Tokyo. `You never know what you got till it's gone. How true…'
 
He stood swiftly, not glancing back at Kurogane. “I don't think I'm going back to sleep. Good night, Kuro-tan.” He stated coldly. He ignored the man's eyes boring a hole into his back as he left the room. His feet carried him to his old room, or the room that would be his during his stay. He shut the door behind him and leaned against it. “I will not cry.” He whispered, even as a tear slid down his cheek.
 
His breath caught in his throat. He slid slowly down the door until he hit the floor. Fai curled slowly into a ball, tears leaking silently down his face. “How did it come to this, Kurogane?” He asked. But he knew, oh god, how he knew.
 
Flashback:
 
Blue eyes stared silently out the window at a nearly starless sky. A soft sigh escaped him. “Stop staring, love. You're only going to depress yourself.” Fai turned and stared at his companion. “I can't help it. We should be doing something.”
 
Kurogane sighed. “We are doing something.” Fai walked towards him. “No we're not! We're not doing anything. We're just sitting here while worlds are dieing. Worlds, Kurogane! Entire worlds!” The ninja sighed and wrapped his arms around the former mage. “I know love, I know. We'll think of something. I'm sure of it.”
 
End Flashback.
 
Fai took a deep breath and banged his head against the door. “Did you know then, Kurogane? What Sakura-chan would force you to do? Did you know the plan then, Kurogane?!” He cried. Sobs tore themselves roughly from his throat as the tears poured. He had never cried so much in his life. Not even when his brother had died did he cry like this.
=================================================================
The sun was up by the time he came to his senses. He must have been crying for five hours straight. After that he had probably sat there and stared blankly at the wall in front of him for another two hours. He sighed and stood, scrubbing roughly at his face. He wasn't ready to face the day, he knew that, but he couldn't hide in here forever.
 
He took a deep breath and left the room. Syaoran was talking quietly with Kurogane while Sakura still slept. If he remembered correctly she wouldn't wake up for a while. He walked forward and slid easily into his mask, leaning casually against the counter that would later become the main feature of his shop. “Good morning.”
 
Mokona grinned and jumped into his arms. “Fai's up.” He stated. Fai smiled warmly and hugged the magic creature to his chest. It had been too long since he'd last seen Mokona. “Hello!”
 
He looked up and met Kurogane's eyes squarely. He grinned brightly. The ninja glared. Syoaran sighed. “We were going to go to City Hall to talk to someone about the monster that attacked us last night. Do you want to come?” Kurogane looked slightly annoyed by the idea.
 
He didn't want to go, he really didn't. He wanted to see if there was any more tears in his body that he could cry but if he didn't move now he probably never would. He grinned and leaned over Syoaran slightly. “Me and Syoaran-kun will go. You, Kuro-pii, stay here and watch over Sakura-chan.”
 
He nearly wanted to gag. It had truly been too long a time since he wore his smiling mask. It would take some getting used too. He widened his grin at the ninja. “Well?”
================================================================= =
He was getting ready to leave when Kurogane grabbed his elbow. For a minute he got the impression that he was back in Tokyo and he was about to get chewed out in a minute flat. Then the idea was gone and he was staring into Kurogane's dark red eyes. “Yes?”
 
Kurogane stared at him for a minute. “You okay?” He asked. Fai blinked and smiled. “Of course, Kuro-chi.” He smiled at Kurogane's glare. “Don't call me that.” He stated. Fai's smile turned grim. “You only want something gone till it's actually gone.” He stated softly. Kurogane blinked, “What?”
 
He jerked away and walked over and held Mokona. `Dear, sweet Mokona. The only one who has yet to hurt me. It's good to have you back.' “Mokona can you do me a favor? Watch over Sakura-chan for me while I'm gone?” Mokona nodded. “Is Fai alright?”
 
He blinked and smiled softly. “Of course Mokona. I'll be fine.” He hugged the creature to his chest then dashed out the door after Syoaran.
==============================================================
By the time he got to City Hall his smile was strained and inside he was freaking. `Sakura-chan warned me of Deja vu but this is ridiculous! It's like walking through a memory for crying out loud! I should have stayed at home…' He thought sulking.
 
When they got to the counter Fai dangled himself over it and let Syoaran ask his questions. When the subject of hunters came up Fai immediately suggested Kurogane. “He'll be upset if we don't include him. Besides Sakura-chan can't do it and I probably won't be of much help.” `Sooner throw myself in the way than out.'
 
“And you will be doing what?” Fai stared at the woman and wondered how he hadn't known this world was fake with the way her eyes were staring blankly back at him. “I'd like to run a café.” He stated. “That would be fun.” He turned to Syoaran, “Do you think Sakura-chan would like to learn to cook?” he asked.
==============================================================
It happened when he and Syoaran were going through clothes for themselves. Syoaran stopped and looked over at him with a slightly perplexed look. “Fai-san?”
 
He made a soft humming noise to show that he was listening. “I've been meaning to ask you this, but when did you get that necklace? You didn't have it yesterday.” Fai froze momentarily. Slowly he reached shaking fingers up and grasped the necklace hanging around his neck.
 
It couldn't be. But it was, he realized as he looked at the jewelry. A clear diamond was cut into the shape of a teardrop, surrounded by a silver frame, and dangling from a thin silver chain. It was the gift Kurogane had given him before he was pushed inside the portal. “But how?” he whispered.
 
“Fai-san?” Syoaran asked, staring at him. “I'm fine, Syaoran-kun. It's just a gift.” He said in a dazed voice. He took a deep breath and carefully tucked it into his shirt. Now that he knew it was there the weight of the chain felt like the reality that had been sacrificed to send him back. He wondered how he hadn't noticed it before.
==============================================================
He walked into the house, bags dandling from his arms. “We're back!” He called cheerfully. He smiled at the group sitting near Sakura, “And we come baring gifts.” He finished.
 
“And how are you, Kuro-woof?” he asked. “I told you to stop treating me like I'm a dog!” he snapped. Fai grinned maliciously. `Oh, if only you knew.' “We got you a job.” He stated.
 
“Eh?” He grinned, “You and Syoaran-kun go around and destroy the big, bad monsters.” Kurogane frowned at him for a minute before turning to Syoaran. “Oi, kid. You explain this.”
 
Blue eyes darkened as he watched Syoaran explain the situation to the ninja. He looked down as Mokona jumped into his arms and buried itself into his stomach. `I know Mokona. You can sense it, can't you? The sadness and despair inside me.' He tightened his arms around the white manju bun.
 
“Okay, I get it.” He looked back up. Kurogane turned towards Syoaran and explained what was going to happen to Syoaran. Fai's eyes widened as Kurogane grabbed the boy's head and tilted it, light glancing off of one blank eye. “You are blind in your right eye.”
 
Pain shot through Fai's own right eye and he winced, gently rubbing at it. `It's just phantom pain, idiot. There's nothing really wrong with it.' He sighed and stared at the boy. `Syoaran-kun, enjoy this time while it lasts. Things only get harder from here.'
================================================================< /div>
He smiled softly at Sakura as the girl appeared in her new uniform. “You look beautiful, Sakura-chan.” He whispered. The princess smiled at him before looking to Syoaran for approval. He left the kids alone and went to grab the tea.
 
He came in time to see Mokona produce the treats Yuko-san, actually Watanuki, had sent them. He smiled and walked forward. “Just in time. Yuko-san is amazing!” He stated. He went through the motions, even remembering to force-feed Kurogane.
 
Everything was going fine until, as the two new Oni hunters left, Mokona bounced onto his shoulder and whispered into his ear. “Yuko wants to talk to you for a minute, Fai.” He frowned, turning his head away. “Sakura-chan, watch the shop for a minute. I'll be right back.”
 
He led Mokona into his room and sat on his bed, letting Mokona make itself comfortable. He sighed as an image of Yuko appeared before him. “Hello, Yuko-san.” He greeted; a note of weariness in his tone. Yuko stared at him silently before inclining her head slightly. “Mokona, please go to sleep for me.” Mokona looked hesitant before nodding and slipping away.
 
“It's a pleasure to see you again. What's the purpose of this meeting?” Yuko sighed and shook her head. “How are you Fai?” He grinned. “I'm perfectly fine.” The witch looked disappointed. “We had no other option, Fai.” He snapped. “Something like this is never an option!”
 
He stopped and stared at the witch. She had just told him in no uncertain terms that she knew exactly what she had done to him. “So, you know?” He asked. Fai wondered what price they had to pay to get her to remember as well. Yuko smiled sadly. “Yes. I've known for a while now. I merely was waiting for you to reappear. Now, truthfully, how are you?”
 
“As well as can be expected.” He whispered. “I'd ask if I didn't already know the answer. I can never get it back, can I?” Yuko shook her head. “No. That reality is gone forever. Even if you do things the same way as you did before you will not get the same result. That is the only evidence of the life you lived.” She stated, pointing at his necklace. He smiled sadly and clasped it, a tear traveling down his cheek.
 
“You know, I did everything the way I did before with the hope that if I only tried hard enough it would all come back. Even though I knew that wasn't true, that that wasn't possible, I still wanted to believe that.” He laughed without humor, more tears pouring down his face.
 
“A few words of advice before I leave you, Fai.” He looked up, “And those would be what?” Yuko stared at him for a minute. “You have been given a wonderful chance, Fai. It may have come at a terrible price but it is a gift no the less. Change the future Fai, don't let that sacrifice go in vain. And do not blame you companions for crimes they have yet to commit.” Fai turned his head away. “I won't make any promises.” He whispered.
============================================================
Her words echoed in his head for the rest of the day. He sighed and leaned against the wall outside Syoaran's room. “What just happened?” Kurogane asked. Fai shook his head lightly and looked down. “Yuko-san said it, didn't she? No matter what Sakura-chan can never remember her relationship with Syoaran-kun. Even if she asks, even if she tries to remember herself, even if Syoaran tells her she will still forget.”
 
He whispered, “No matter what, once paid, a price can never be returned.”
==============================================================
Fai stared blankly out the window at the dark sky, watching the sun rise in the distance. Behind him he was distantly aware of Kurogane walking into the room. “You're up early.” The ninja stated. He smiled grimly at his reflection. “You're wrong. I'm up late.”
 
“You haven't gone to bed yet?” he shrugged, “Can't sleep.” Kurogane approached and stared at the back of his head intently. “You've been acting weird lately. What's wrong?” he shook his head. “It's nothing.” He turned and looked up at the man he had loved, maybe still loved, and would probably fall in love with again. “Can I ask you a question, Kuro-cho?”
 
Kurogane stared down at him. “What?” he smiled sadly and looked away. “If you lost everything you had ever cared about so you could do something, would you do it even though the action would get rid of any chance you had of getting it back?” Kurogane snorted. “That's not even a question. Yes.”
 
He smiled tightly. “Why?” The ninja frowned. “Because to not even try would make the loss of it that much harder. If Tomoyo-hime died to allow me to do something I would never forgive myself if I didn't do it.” Red eyes pinned him in place. “I don't know what's gotten into you since we came here but I know you're not going to tell me. Just ask yourself this. At the end of the day can you live with the fact that you lost everything for something you didn't even attempt?”
 
Fai stared at him and smiled darkly. “Thank you, Kuro-tan. Both for the advice and for not asking why.” He walked past the man towards the kitchen. “Want breakfast, Kuro-ron?” He asked with a grin.
=========================================================
He let out a soft sigh and leaned against one of the walls in the kitchen. “Could I deal?” he asked himself. Blue eyes snapped open, shining with determination. “Too much has already been lost for the sake of that future, that horribly broken future, for me to not at least try to change it.” He smiled, “In every way I can, I will fix it. Even if those changes bring me farther away from you, Kurogane.” He whispered, placing one hand on the door.