Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: I'm glad that every one is enjoying the story.
Last Time: “You're just like him Kuro-pon. So much like my Kurogane that it's not even funny.” Fai touched his shoulder where Kurogane had held him down. "He did the same thing whenever he wanted to talk to me. Said he was scared I was going to jump up in the middle of a conversation and just float off." He laughed hollowly.
===
He could feel the man's eyes burning a hole into the side of his head but he refused to look up. Sighing, Kurogane grabbed the mage's arm and steadied him as they walked to Clover. Fai let himself lean against the man, a smile flickering briefly across his face.
===
Sakura sighed. “Things have already been arranged, Fai-san. You leave in two weeks time.” Fai shook his head. “No! I'm not going! I won't!” Sakura's green eyes contained a coldness he had never seen and a pity he didn't want too.
 
“I'm sorry, Fai-san. But you seem to be under the impression that I'm giving you a choice.”
===
“You're crying.” Kurogane whispered. Fai jumped and touched a hand to his cheek in surprise. It came back wet. “I-I…I can't make them stop.” He whispered. Fai pressed a hand over his mouth to hide his sobs and bowed his head. His shoulders were shaking again. “I said I wasn't going to cry.” He whispered.
The sound of the beer bottle shattering on the ground caused Fai to jerk away. He turned and ran up the stairs. “Good night.” He whispered. Kurogane watched him go.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 4-
 
Fai laid face-down on the bed, his shoulders shaking with his sobs. He turned slightly when he felt Mokona nudge into his side and curled around the white creature. “Fai.” It whispered. Fai barely heard it, his memories holding him captive.
 
Flashback:
 
Fai couldn't remember when Kurogane had sat down next to him on the stairs but suddenly there was a hand resting on his shoulder. “Fai?” The ninja whispered gently. The blonde just stared blankly at the air in front of him.
 
“I should have done something.” Fai whispered. “I was right there.” He continued, tears gathering at the corners of his eyes. Kurogane tightened his hold on Fai's shoulder. “You couldn't have done anything.” He stated firmly.
 
“I could have tried! I just stood there! I just watched him do it!” Fai shouted. His dazed look broke and he curled into himself, tears pouring down his face. “Fai, if you had moved than two people would be dead right now, maybe three. And I refuse to loose you.” Kurogane whispered, pulling the blonde into his arms.
 
Fai's fist hit the stair he was sitting on. The stone cracked under the pressure. “Why?! Why do I always lose the people I care about!?” He clutched desperately at Kurogane's shoulders, “Syaoran…” Fai whispered brokenly.
 
Kurogane held the blonde tighter. “I'm not going anywhere, Fai. I'll always be right here. I won't leave you alone. I swear it.” He kissed the top of Fai's head. “I swear it.”
 
End Flashback.
 
Fai choked, curling tighter. That was the day everything had changed. A dark mood seemed to settle over Nihon and Clow. Tomoyo looked pale and drained whenever he caught a glimpse of her. Kurogane had worked even harder, to the point where sometimes he'd collapse and Fai would be forced to tend to him. Yuko had a shadow in her eyes that didn't seem to go away. Watanuki, the poor boy, had never quite been the same. And Sakura had become so cruel, so cold and closed off. She didn't let anyone see her cry anymore; not even Fai. Syaoran's last words still echoed in his head. “Tell her I'm sorry.”
 
`Why did you have to leave, Syaoran-kun? You just had to take my hand.' That was the day everything changed. That was the day Li Syaoran died.
=============================================================
Fai had cried for hours that night. And when he finally did fall asleep to was restless and bleak, filled with flashes of the death and sadness he'd experienced those last three months. So when Kurogane came down the next morning what he saw was breakfast laid out with Fai calmly finishing his own food.
 
The ninja walked into the room slowly. “Mage?” he asked slowly. Fai glanced up at him briefly before standing and turning away with the excuse of cleaning his plate. “Hm? Breakfast, Kuro-rin?” He asked, keeping his back turned to the man.
 
Fai ignored the eyes boring into his back as he moved around. He was irritated with himself. He couldn't believe he had broken down like that last night; in front of Kurogane no less! He sighed and gently sat a glass down next to Syoaran's plate. “What the hell is that?” Kurogane asked.
 
Fai met his eyes before quickly glancing away. “If I was you I wouldn't ask.” He stated calmly. Kurogane sighed as he watched the blonde. “Mage, last night…” he stopped when his own glass shattered. He frowned. “Mage?” Fai turned and held his gaze for the first time that day. “I don't know what you mean, Kuro-sama.” He whispered coldly.
 
They stared at each other for a long, silent moment. Then Syoaran tumbled down the stairs with Mokona dancing on his head. The boy looked terrible. Fai's eyes softened. “Sit down, Syoaran-kun. Have a drink.” He whispered kindly, motioning to the drink he'd made. Syaoran sat down and stared dully at it. “What is it?” he asked.
 
Fai grinned. “Don't ask, Syoaran-kun. Don't ask.” Syoaran gulped and quickly swallowed the drink. He gadded slightly and coughed. “What is in that?” he asked again. Fai smiled and took the glass. “I told you not to ask. How's your head feel?”
 
Syoaran frowned and than blinked. “Better.” He whispered. He looked up, a weak grin on his face. “Thank you.” Fai nodded. “And now, try breakfast.” He ordered, pointing at the plate in front of the boy. Syaoran nodded briefly and slowly ate. Fai shook his head. He looked up when he felt eyes on him and noticed Kurogane staring at him. He grinned brightly, his eyes locked on a point just over the ninja's shoulder.
=============================================================
Fai looked up as the bell over the café rang and stared at the soaking-wet Syoaran standing in the door way. “Did you meet Oni?” he asked worriedly. Syoaran shook his head and walked towards his room. Fai frowned and looked at Kurogane as the man sat down at the table. “Was that sword practice?” he asked.
 
Kurogane nodded. “He wanted it to be tough from the start.” Fai nodded and looked back at the door to the stairs. He sighed and shook his head. There was nothing he could do. He looked back at the ninja. “Did you go back to Clover?” he asked amusement in his voice.
================================================================< /div>
Fai was having a rough day. Last night, Syoaran had come home with Ryou at his side and said that he had run into Seishiro. Fai was really starting to hate that man. He watched as Sakura and Syoaran came down, Syoaran's eyes a little red from lack of sleep.
 
He watched as Syoaran stood up after he was done with breakfast and reached out, grabbing the boy's arm. “Fai-san?” the blonde stared at the boy for a long moment before he whispered, “Don't think it's so noble to just keep silent and think no one can understand.”
 
Syoaran stared at him in shock and Fai could feel Kurogane's eyes burning a hole in his head. His eyes softened and he smiled slightly. “Your not alone anymore Syoaran-kun. You don't need to suffer on your own. We're here.” He let go and shuffled the Oni hunters out of his shop. He chose to ignore the look Kurogane shot him.
===============================================================
Fai's eyes widened as he saw Sakura fall. He reached out and caught her, gently settling the girl in his lap. He thought back to her words and couldn't help but think of the look in her eyes all through Infinity. “Even if that is your greatest wish Sakura-chan, I hope it is one that is never granted. I don't want you to lose that precious innocence.” He tightened his grip on the girl. “I won't let you lose it, my hime.”
================================================================< /div>
“Fai.” Said mage turned his head and stared at Mokona as he settled the blanket over Sakura. “What is it, Mokona?” the creature stared up at him. “What you said to Syoaran, about not having to suffer alone…” Fai smiled, “What about it?”
 
“It's true for you too. You don't have to suffer alone. We won't blame you if you cry.” Fai froze, his eyes widening. Slowly he gave a sad smile and looked away. “So you can sense it? The sadness in my heart?” he asked, one hand clutching at his shirt.
 
Mokona nodded. “Yes. It's one of my 108 secret techniques. Syoaran, Kurogane, Fai… you all hold so much sadness. But slowly, bit by bit, that sadness has gotten smaller. You all have gained a bit of the warm glow Sakura gives off. I hope that one day, we'll all give off as much happiness as her.” Fai smiled and gently picked Mokona up and held him close. “That day, I want to believe it will happen. Against a preordained future which has yet to happen, a person's wishes will always win. That's what Yuko-san told me.”
 
He turned his head and smiled as the bell above the door rang. “Welcome to Café Cat's Ey…” He trailed off, glaring at the man who stood in the doorway. “Seishiro-san, I guess. How can I help you?” the man smiled. “I heard that some Oni hunters were here.”
 
Fai shrugged, “They live here but their out at the moment. What do you want with them?” Seishiro smiled at him. Oni appeared. “I thought I'd make them disappear.” Fai's eyes narrowed. “I'm afraid I can't let that happen. You see, there is too much riding on their survival.” Seishiro arched an eyebrow. “We'll see, won't we?”
 
Fai dodged to the side and moved around the Oni attacking him. He kept moving, trying to move around the attacks but found himself at a disadvantage. `Let's see, I'm outnumbered and wounded. This is fun.' He winced slightly as he landed after a jump, pain shooting up his leg. `My god damn leg! It was a pain the last time too.' Seishiro smiled slightly. “I see your leg I hurting you. It wouldn't be a problem if you used you magic.”
 
Fai gave a wicked grin. “Encouraging me to use my magic? Only an idiot would do that.” Seishiro smiled. “Yes I can see why. Do you choose not to use your magic?” Fai smiled. “I'm not going to waste it on you.”
 
Seishiro laughed slightly. “You said that Syoaran's survival was important. What would you do to insure it?” Fai looked over at Sakura. “Even if their not the original's, even if their nothing more than copies,” He met Seishiro's eyes evenly. “I would give my life to protect them!”
 
The Oni moved again, surrounding him. “Farewell.” Seishiro whispered.
 
“FAI!!!”
================================================================= =
Green eyes slid slowly open. “Fai-san?” A soft voice whispered out. The girl twisted in the blank space she existed in. “Is that you, Fai-san?”
================================================================= =
A young woman slowly rose to her feet and turned to stare up at a star-filled sky. “Hime? A voice whispered. Bright violet eyes slid closed. “So you've retuned. I wish you the best of luck, Fai-san.” She called out towards the sky.
================================================================= =
Yuko smiled slightly. “So he has reappeared in the real world. Trapped inside that game the spells couldn't activate. But now those two have awakened. Just like me, they remember the future.” She stood and tuned to stare up at the sky. “It all rests on you now, Fai.”