Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ 34 ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 34

Four days had past since the baby shower and rain followed the few peaceful days of partly cloudy weather.  My mom used to tell me that trouble travels in the rain, that’s why so many animals hide from it.  Most humans try to stay sheltered from it, but apparently this was the weather witches lived for, or at least enjoyed traveling in, three large thumps on the Cullen’s front door would invite trouble into my life with open arms, in the form of Elvira.  

“I know something,” she said skipping the pleasantries she moved past Alice and sat beside me, “you may want the others to hear this.”  Alice assembled the others and we all sat in the living room and waited for Elvira to explain the uproar that she had caused.  

“I see death coming for you Leah,” she looked at me remorsefully, “I’ve seen it so many ways and every time I see you’re death.  I had to come to see if I could stop it but the vision still comes to me . . . I fear you are doomed.”  Nahuel tightened his grip around my shoulders and a burning ache was now heavy in my chest.  “Sometimes I see his death too,” she said looking at Nahuel, which was something I couldn’t not stand for or tolerate, Nahuel would not die because of me!

“Can’t you bring any good news!”  I glared at the young woman now standing in front of me.  

“I am sorry, I just wanted to tell you that I was right the separations are over.” Elvira actually looked sad as she delivered the news to us.  “But these other visions . . .” she shook her head franticly, “I can’t ignore them.”  

“But the separations being over shouldn’t that be a good thing?” Nahuel frowned.  

“No, unfortunately it’s very sad . . .”  Elvira sat down and covered her face with her hands.  

“Why?  Is it because Joham is still alive?”  Alice asked engrossed in the conversation, probably because she admired Elvira for seeing what she couldn’t.  

“I’m afraid that Joham is the least of your worries.”  Elvira sighed, “Others are coming, they don’t seemed intrigued by the on goings here unlike Joham, they seem disgusted that the, bloodlines for lack of a better word, have been diluted yet again in this coven.”  Elvira eyes glowed green as if she were seeing a vision.  “The little blonde one kills you.”  She said quietly to Nahuel.  

“The Volturi . . . Jane,” Carlisle said standing in the far end of the living room his voice was filled with remorse and alarm.  I couldn’t believe they were acting this way, like nothing could be done.  I hated Elvira, what did she know, Nahuel would not die!

“No!” I said getting up, “She will not harm a hair on his head, no way in hell that’s happening!”  I said my voice cracked as I began to cry.  “I will not allow anything to . . . and what about . . .” I touched my stomach.  

“I have never seen your child Leah.  I have never once seen her face.”  She said grimly she went to touch me but I jerked away.  

“Well what the hell do you know!”  I went to storm out of the room.  

“Leah honey you should listen to what she has to say!”  My mother said stepping in front of me.

“From what she says my time on this Earth, living this life is numbered, I don’t have time to waste listening to rest of her garbage . . . you can give me the clip notes later.”  I continued my goal of going upstairs.  I looked in the nursery and remembered how much fun putting everything together was.  I thought of Nahuel . . .  the best thing to ever happen to my life.  “No . . . I can’t let it happen.”  I went to my room, grabbed my book bag out of my closet, and threw a couple outfits inside.  I thought maybe if I distanced myself from Nahuel they wouldn’t realize that any bloodlines have been diluted.  I would go away and I would call Ren after a couple months and then come back if the coast was clear.  I had to move quickly before they realized what I was doing, before Edward took the time to listen for my thoughts.  

“What are you doing?”  Marisol had never come downstairs she was determined to keep herself out of all our business.  She never joined us for the good things but always had this weird way of popping up for the bad.    

“Like you care.” I said never turning to acknowledge her presence.  I moved past her and made my way to the garage.  I threw my bag in the back seat and closed the door as quietly as possible.  

“You’re punking out!  Unbelievable after all the hardships you put my brother through your just going to leave him!”  Marisol laughed disgusted.  

“Shut up Marisol you don’t know what the hell you are talking about!  I will come back for him and if you tell him that I am leaving if I survive this I will shove your head up your ass!”  I said adjusting the driver’s seat and closing the door.  

“Whatever you are planning it won’t work they will kill you if you go alone!”  She said sincerely, “Like you told Nahuel there is strength in numbers remember!  Don’t be irrational think about this!”  She went to open the car door and I locked it.  

“I don’t have time to think . . . I will come back to him, I promise.”


I had been driving for over two hours now I was surprised that no one had come after me.  I was grateful in a way, it gave time to get closer to Anchorage it was most populated city in Alaska that I could think of.  I knew the Volturi didn’t like to make a scenes so they wouldn’t go through the trouble of killing a whole much of humans just to fine me or at least I hoped they wouldn’t.  With the time I was making I would be in Anchorage in another two hours.  I would get rid of my car once I got into town I was sure that my BMW could be traded in for something else less noticeable.  The rain poured down heavily making it difficult to see the lines on the road.  I decided to cut on some music to calm my nerves, it was Ren’s CD she had made me for my wedding I had forgotten that was what I was listening to last.  I felt horrible not telling her or anybody what I was doing, but I had convinced myself that it was for the best.  If they knew where I was going, that Aro guy could touch them and next thing you know . . . I tried to focus.  

“I need to keep you safe baby, you, and your daddy.”  I sighed and pain hit my chest, the distance between Nahuel and I was causing me discomfort, but I didn’t feel as bad as I had anticipated I could only imagine it was because I knew I was doing the right thing.  All of my favorite memories of him flashed through my head, like the time he gagged of off Esme’s eggs, and the night of our field trip . . . his gentle kisses on my lower stomach.  “I will be with you again, this is just for now.”  

Then the baby kicked causing me to veer off off the road.  Thankfully, none of my bones was broken by the kick, it just hurt like hell.  I got out of the car momentarily to stretch and I see a figure in the distance staring back at me.  I knew immediately who it was I didn’t expect for trouble to follow me so speedily.  Trouble travels in the rain I heard my mother’s voice in my thoughts.  

“Oh crap!”  Within seconds, I was being pushed forcefully into the backseat by cold dead hands.  He got into the car and started to drive.  “Look please don’t hurt me!  Please I will do whatever you want!”  I begged him because I surely couldn’t fight him in this condition it was only thing I could think to say.  

“I’m not interested in destroying you right now.  I am trying to save your child’s life so I if you could please silence yourself so that I can concentrate.”  Joham looked back a me momentarily from the rear view mirror.  

“But why?”  I said, he had been trying to kill me all this time why was he trying to help me.  

“Your child will be something that needs to be studied alive if they kill the child, or you for that matter, I will never have the opportunity again . . . I didn’t know you were pregnant else wise, if I had known I would have come alone.”  He turned onto the exit, “We need to get into town where more people are around.” He said thinking aloud, at least I was still heading in the right direction, and Joham would try his best to keep me alive, until the baby is born anyway.  

“So you brought the Volturi, figures . . . where’s Nahuel?” Jane’s face popped into my head had she already taken my reason for living?  Was everything I was doing now pointless?    

“Nahuel should not be your focal point right now; you need to focus on getting to safety.  My son can take care of himself.”  He looked back at me in that moment a car happened to notice a car traveling in the same lane of as us going in the wrong direction they were going to run right into us head on.  

“Joham!” I pointed to the road, he swerved and this time we landed in a ditch.  The jolt scared me so much I pissed myself.  

“Oww!”  I banged my head on the window from the impact.  

“Not to worry I’ll get us back on the road.”  He tried to pull back onto the road but the tires were stuck. “One moment.”  He left the vehicle to see what had us stuck, but he never stopped to notice that the vehicle that had tried to run us had now stopped as well.  It was Jasper, I hated the way vampires moved sometimes it made it difficult to know exactly what was going on.  All I know is that I heard a loud thud, and then Joham’s head went through the glass of my back window.  

“Jasper wait he’s trying to help!” Jasper looked at me shocked and then calmed himself then released Joham so that he could explain himself.  

“They are looking for you,” Jasper said, we need to reassemble with the others.  He directed both Joham and me to the car where Alice sat waiting in the driver’s seat.      

“Would you care to tell me what you were thinking?”  Alice said angrily, “If you had stayed put we could have all put our minds together and come up with a plan.”  She complained.  

“How would we have come up with a plan Alice?  Elvira didn’t know that Joham or the Volturi was coming today she was just warning us of Nahuel and my death!  If I had stayed they would have found me quicker and killed me sooner!”  A sharp pain went through my lower stomach the pain was horrible; it reminded me of pms only a thousand times worse.  

“I believe she has a point Alice,” Joham said sitting beside me, “the Volturi only want to see her dead they are not interested in any discussion this time.”  He was sitting beside me staring hypnotically at my stomach.  It would have freaked me out if I wasn’t so physically uncomfortable, I had an unyielding pressure now attacking my lower stomach.  I let out a breath and tried to reposition myself.

“Please don’t act as if you are concerned for her well being,” Jasper commented, “you are only out to insure that the child she has comes out safely.  After that you were planning to kidnap the baby and run off, Edward told us everything.”  I glared at the man that I was actually starting to think was half-decent, stupid me for being so gullible.    

“I figured you wouldn’t survive the delivery anyway so I would have no choice but to take responsibility for the young one.”  He spoke and again I almost believed him, I would have if I hadn’t had previous experience with vampires knowing that they are built to be the world greatest liars, I had to go with common sense.  Joham was a freaky scientist he would only be out for his own discovery.  

“No, that’s not the reason,” Jasper laughed.  “You think that her child will replace Ana and in some ways be better than Ana could ever hope to be, but the reality of the situation is that there are no guarantees that Leah’s child will have any powers at all . . . besides being slightly stronger than the normal human, you could be wasting your time.”

“The only way to find out if I’m right or not is for the child to be born.”  Joham said decided not to lie any longer.  Jasper pulled out his phone and contacted Edward.  

“They are all located 20 miles from here.  Love, we need to turn around.”  

“You’ve got it!”  Alice smirked and pulled wickedly dangerous u-turn.  Taking us back into the direction where evil was waiting.  


About fifteen minutes later we were pulling up to a clearing were all of the Cullens were located large wolves circled the outskirts of the area.  Alice pulled the car into the middle of the clearing at everyone got out but me.  I went to step down but my pain suddenly became unbearable, I scooted myself back into the car and put my hand at my stomach.  

“Oh God,” I whispered.  I was in labor and the contractions were coming at ridiculous speed.  I couldn’t understand why they would come so fast it was said that when you have your first child labor usually takes longer, but like I had said many times before this was no normal baby.  Logically it did make sense that my body would try to quickly make it way through this change so that it could heal itself.  I could hear as Alice, Japser, and Joham started talking with the others about strategy.  

“Where is she?”  Nahuel sweet voice rang through my ears at least I knew he wasn’t dead, he was still alive, and the wench was here maybe Elvira had wrong altogether.  I tried to sit upright so he could see me but all I could do was lift to my elbows.  I felt as the baby’s body pushed down to my opening causing me to feel like I was being split in half.  “Do you smell that?”  

“Blood . . .” Edward said he pushed me back into the car and locked the doors.  He gotten a lot better and being around the substance after being around Bella, “get Carlisle!” he yelled to the others.  “Leah it’s going to be okay just breathe!”  I frowned at him I was breathing wasn’t I?  The pain attacked me again.  

“Look Ed  . . . Edward  . . . gotta push!”  I said lifting up to my elbows again.  I was preparing to push down with all of my might.  
“Hold on one second,” He quickly removed my pants and his shirt draping the shirt over my legs so that I wouldn’t be exposed.  “Okay now push if you must!”  I heard someone it the background yell.  

“They are coming I see them over the horizon!”  The Earth moved as the packs moved in on there prey.  

“Create a physical shield around the car!”  Joham yelled.  Maria, Marisol, Nahuel, and Joham stood at all sides of the car making sure that no one would get close.  I could hear the fight, but could see nothing; I my mind was lost in worry in a sea of hisses and growls.  

“Leah you need to concentrate!  Push!”  Edward said and I nodded at him.  I let out an excruciating scream and I allowed my baby rip me a new one.  This must be what hell feels like, I had fought with vampires but that was nothing in comparison to the pain of childbirth, the worst part was knowing that I was going to have to push again.  I took three deep breaths and then gritted my teeth and bared the pain.  “Leah it’s out,” I looked at Edward to see him holding my naked bloody baby in his arms he smiled at me, I tried to smile relieved but my vision started to double, my pain began to increase again.  

“Oww, something’s not right . . . I held my stomach,” the pain was so horrible that I couldn’t take it.  Everything became a blur and slowly faded to black.


I woke in darkness alone.  I was in bed so maybe I had just had one of those crazy pregnancy dreams.  I touched my stomach that was now flat as it was before I ever conceived.  I had no aches or pains, maybe I had had a long dream, and I had never been pregnant at all.  I laughed at how stupid I was acting.  The reality was I was scared to cut on the lights, to be awakened by the truth, and even more afraid to step out of this room.  I had no idea what had happened with the Volturi, I had no clue if they were still here or if they were even here to begin with.  I was so disoriented, I decided to take baby steps and cut on the light.  I looked myself over everything seemed to be in order I was dress in my black sweats and sports top.  I lifted up my top so that I could look at my stomach.  

“No baby in there,” I laughed then I looked at my face my eyes had changed back to the venom infused gray they were before, actually in a way they actually looked lighter.  “Whoa!”  I decided to go ahead and open myself to reality by exiting my room.  As soon as I leave the room, I literally run into Embry with his broken leg and all.  

“Hey Beta girl what up!” He hugged me, “Good to see you in the land of the living!  You had everyone worried.”  He smiled brightly.  

“Me?  What about you what happened to your leg?”  I said slightly horrified that I had caused him more damage.  

“Duh Leah we were just in a major battle a little over a day ago,” he laughed, “once we are all healed we plan to head back out to Forks but only for a little while.  I plan to come back to Alaska and Quil wants to come too but is concerned about Claire.”  

“Who else got hurt?” I asked I was concerned about everybody I needed details, why did I have to past out when everything was happening.  

“Sam has a scar across his chest; Seth has a crushed foot and is missing a couple of teeth.  Paul’s arm was dislocated and Ren was bruised up pretty good, but we will all heal.”  He shrugged as if it were nothing.  I couldn’t believe everyone had gathered for me this way but had noticed that he hadn’t mention someone.  

“How about Nahuel and his family?”  He looked at me and thought carefully about his words.  

“Leah you should rest, you just gave birth, most women are off their feet for at least a couple days, shouldn’t you be laying down or something?”  He said trying to turn me back to my room.  

“Embry?”  I gave him my best I will kill you face.  He immediately decided to go with a different game plan.    

“Let’s go to the nursery.”  I followed him across the hall to find Ren sitting in the rocking chair she looked anxious about something.  I looked in the crib but found no baby.  Maybe she was scared that she was going to be the one to have to tell me the truth.    

“Oh God!”  I panicked, “they took my baby!” I moved stuff around in the crib and began to sob.  That’s why Embry didn’t want to tell me anything.  Telling me that they she was gone would be like ripping my heart from my chest and feeding it to the Volturi.  If they did have my child she would not be alive for long, she may already be dead.

“No Leah,” Ren said moving slowly, “they didn’t take your baby.”  She touched my shoulder, she showed me Edward wrapping the baby in his shirt, and then another brief image of the baby cleaned up.   

“Thank God . . .” I sighed.  “Ren how are you?  And Jacob where is he?”  I hugged her; out all of the vampires in the house (excluding Nahuel of course), she would be the one that would have missed most.  

“Sore very, very sore.” She smiled, “Jacob’s resting, and healing his wounds, he told me to tell you that we won and that’s all you need to be concerned about, and not to ask too many damned questions because you have the tendency to do that.”

“Well how else am I suppose to find the answers to anything?” I countered.  

“You have a bestie with the most awesome power remember?  Trust me I’m better than tivo!”  She wiggled her fingers and then touched my arm.  Flashes of the battle, her first kill, and Nahuel went through her mind, everything was blotchy and going too fast but I now felt like I was in the loop.  Marisol and Maria did most of the damage destroying everyone they put their sights on.  Shelly even assisted; Elvira had taught her the hex of annihilation.  To both of their surprise it work affectively on the vampires when Shelly did it but when Elvira used the spell it was completely ineffective.  Ren thought it might have something to do with the transfusion that she had given her a while back making her stronger than the average witch, however strong the average was she didn’t know.  Joham died protecting Elvira when her spell didn’t work, which was a surprise to everyone including him.  Jane used her power on him and the pain caused him to fall into a million pieces right before Elvira’s eyes.  Nahuel took his remains into the forest and lit them ablaze.  She showed me how after the Volturi’s army was defeated how Aro, and Carlisle came to a compromise that sent them on their way.  I couldn’t hear what the arrangement was about but I was sure I, as well as the rest of us would be finding out Aro’s terms in one way or another.  

“Thank God the Volturi is gone,” I breathed a sigh of relief, “and Elvira was wrong . . . Nahuel’s alive.”   

“Yes, yes I am and so is your son.” Nahuel walked toward me as he continued to feed the baby in his arms.  “He was a little under the weather because he wasn’t getting enough blood in his system but Carlisle thinks he is going to be alright.”  He leaned down so I could get a good look at the baby’s face.  The baby was perfect his little teak eyes stared up at me as he continued to suck on the bottle.  

“Is he . . .” I was going to say dangerous but his little tiny body couldn’t cause anything but good and joy in world.   

“Is he venomous, of course.”  Nahuel smirked slightly I then noticed the huge bite mark on his arm.  I touched it and he flinched, “tomorrow that will be a distant memory.” He said trying to diffuse my worry.   

“Okay this little girl is ready to see her mommy!”  Esme said walking in with another baby.  Twins, I couldn’t believe it, but I guess now I know why I was so fat.  Maybe that’s what Embry and Ren were trying to hide from me, they must’ve have wanted it to be a surprise.  Esme held the baby she was the happiest I had ever seen her.  Nahuel looked at Carlisle there was some sort of meaning behind his stare.  

“She’s positive.”  Carlisle said brushing his hand across the baby’s cheek.  

“Really?”  Nahuel said then frowned at his daughter in Esme’s arms, as she cooed and gooed to everyone that would listen.  The girl was a talker she would fit right in with Ren.   

“What?”  I asked following his gaze, I saw nothing but an adorable baby with the same teak eyes as the little boy in his arms.  

“Our daughter is a positive venom carrier as well.  That throws out father’s theory of females not being able to carry the gene.”  Nahuel’s face looked pained somehow, maybe he needed some space so that he could properly grieve the loss of his father.  I made a mental note to make sure that he got some time alone to fully process everything.  

“Would you like to hold her?”  Esme placed my daughter in my arms, the little one cooed and wiggled around until she made herself comfortable.

“She is the perfect reflection of both of us.” Nahuel smoothed his littlest finger over her face.  

“They both are.”  I commented, “I am so . . .” I didn’t want to jinx the moment, by admitting my complete and utter happiness, but that was what I felt.  I was so full and complete.

 Gradually everyone made it into the nursery to visit with the babies.  They were passed around more than sides at a Sunday dinner.  I kept mental note of who was holding whom.  Luckily, for me they had wrapped my son in a white blanket and the girl in pink, it made identifying them a lot easier, it would suck to have to look in their diapers every five minutes.  

“At least I know what I will be doing tomorrow,” Alice cooed to the little boy, “I will be buying you some clothes.  We can’t have you being seen in your sister’s dresses now can we.”  He looked contently at her but I noticed that he didn’t make any noises.  

“He’s a thinker,” Edward said, “both their minds are more advanced than their physical appearance at the moment.  They understand most of the things we say.  They know not to hurt you, I can’t remember if Ren was that advanced at two days old.”  He said reflectively.  

“Well what about the girl she’s not a thinker?”  My tone was a little defensive, but I more curious than anything else as to what was going on inside their little heads.  

“It’s obvious to me that our little girl,” Nahuel said repositioning her in his arms, this was the third time he had grabbed her away from Emily, “is a free spirit, lively I can see it in her eyes.”  He smiled at her and she made noises that resembled a giggle.  Nahuel took her blanket off and she and cradled her once again in his arms.  Her hair was black like mine but curly like his, I wondered what the boy’s hair looked like.  Ren now had him in her arms and his little tiny hand reached out to her hair, she rocked him in the rocking chair.  

“May I cut in?” I reached my arms out.  

“Of course,” Ren handed him to me and I removed the blanket from his body, he was just in his little diaper.  His hair was the same as his sister’s I kept comparing the two in my mind looking for differences.  The little guy frowned at me, making him way too much like his father.  

“I bet you are wondering what I am thinking,” I stared down at him, “I was wondering what makes you two different, besides gender of course.  You two look so much a like, but I think it is the seriousness in your eyes; it makes you seem old in a way. . . you’re a wise little dude aren’t you.”  I couldn’t bring myself to coo at him with such a stare it was like I was just talking to someone I cared about . . . like talking to a little Nahuel.  

“Hmmmm . . .” The little cooed as he snuggled against my chest.  

“That’s the first bit of noise he has made all day Leah!”  My mom commented, “They are so beautiful I am so glad I got to see them in person, now it will be doubly hard for me to leave you.”  It pained me to know that she was about to leave to but it was time.  

“I’ve already promised Sam that we will come down to visit.  This will not be the last time you see us, and you will be hearing from me everyday!  I’ll want to share everything with you mom.”  She wrapped her arms around my son and me.  

“So honey, have you named them.  We have all been calling them by pet names all day and we are approaching their second day of life.”  She said changing the subject and wiping her tears at the same time.  

“I have a couple of ideas!”  Emily said, “How about Harry for the boy and Elise for the girl!”  She said looking at me hopefully.  I looked at Nahuel, his glare made it obvious that was not even entertaining Emily’s thoughts.  

“I do like the idea naming our son after my dad.  Something like Nathaniel Harrison Cullen, I like that.”  I looked down at my son, “do you like that?”  I smiled.  

“He seems happy about it.” Jasper commented.  

“We had talked about Nell for the girl,” Nahuel said frowning at the baby, “but she is a reflection of both of us so something like Neah Pire Cullen?”  The baby squealed and laughed.  “So it is agreed.”  He stuck out his pointer finger for her to grab onto.  

Neah and Nathaniel were the two elements that I was waiting for to make my life complete.  


A week passed and my mom and the others left the Cullen’s house.  It felt empty now, cold.  I would have to readjust to being without them.  After saying goodbye to everyone, I heard crying coming from the baby monitor, I had seemed to have permanently attached to my hip.  The sound alarmed me because I had never heard Neah or Nate cry so loudly.  
When I got to the nursery, I found Maria in the rocking chair holding Neah crying over her.  Neah was crying too, Maria actions were probably making her uncomfortable.  I lifted Neah from her arms.  

“Maria what’s wrong?”  I placed Neah down in the crib after calming her down.  

“He said he is coming back, you heard him right?”  She said trying to sober herself.  I smirked I knew something was going on between Embry and Maria.  

“Yeah, Embry told me he would be back as soon as he ties up some loose ends, which probably meant permanently saying goodbye to his family.  He is a man of his word.”  I touched her shoulder and she leaned on me.  I didn’t expect that I actually felt a little awkward.  

“I feel horrible part of me doesn’t want him to come back.”  Tears started to come again.  

“You seem pretty broken up about him leaving?”  She was confusing the hell out of me; I hope I wasn’t this hormonal when I was pregnant because if I behaved this way, I needed to do a lot of apologizing.  

“Yeah, I’m gonna miss him . . . but there is this weird connection between him in Marisol.  Do you think he imprinted on her?”  She began to sob as she asked me the question; I couldn’t help but find it a little amusing.  

“If he had imprinted on her he wouldn’t have been able to leave.”  I thought about the weird way Embry looked when Marisol was mentioned that time, he may have just been confused by her, she confuses me.  “Embry is a naturally happy dude, he probably can’t understand how Marisol stays so miserable.  The two of you remind me of each other you are better suited for him, I think.”  She smiled a little at my words.  

“Thanks Leah” She hugged me.

“No problem.  Did you get the chance to say goodbye?”  She shook her head.  

“I didn’t want to see him leave.  It’s weird you know I really didn’t think of him this way until he announced he was going back to that Forks place.  Now look at me, I’m a mess!”

“You could call him, you know how he is about his phone.” Embry never went anywhere without it, if it were possible he would probably carry it with him in his wolf form.  

“Yeah I should, I do feel kind of bad not getting to say goodbye.”  She pulled out her phone.  

“Hey . . .” She said her voice went up two levels, “I just wanted to say goodbye and you should hurry back.”  

“Oh really and why is that?” I heard his voice and I wasn’t even speaking to him.

“Why do you think?  My God half the time I don’t know why I even talk to you I swear, and you’d better not imprint while you down there in spoon town!”  She hissed.  

“It’s called Forks!  I will be back . . . don’t miss me too much!”  He laughed.  

“Right” She rolled her eyes and smiled so hard cheekbones went into her eyeballs.  They continued to bicker back and forth; I looked in on Neah and looked to Nate’s crib to see he wasn’t there.  

“Where’s your brother?” She cooed at me like she was trying to answer my question.  “You know I don’t that means but don’t worry I’ll find him.  Call me if you need me.” I waved the baby monitor at her.  I followed Nate’s scent to the library to find Jasper in sitting beside Nate in his car seat.  Jasper amused me he refused to hold them for any length of time but he did like spending time with them, especially Nate.  

“So Nate what shall we read today?  Great Expectations or A Tale of Two Cities?”  He placed both books on the table and turned Nate to the books, A Tale of Two Cites began to levitate in the air.  “Good choice old man?”  Jasper laughed.  

“How long has he been doing that?”  I said picking up Nate, Jasper looked aggravated by my disturbance.  

“He did it for Nahuel a couple of days ago I’m surprised he didn’t tell you, both babies can do it.”  Jasper shrugged and reached for Nate.  “You should go ask Nahuel why he is keeping secrets from you!”  He made me feel angry, even though I knew the cause he was right I was curious why Nahuel didn’t bring it up.  

“Where is he?” I growled.  

“Hunting.”  He said putting Nate back in the car seat, “Now where were we . . .”


I went into the forest and found Nahuel sitting by the tree we were under when we first talked about my pregnancy.  His face looked pained and all of my fake anger went away.  

“Are you okay?”  It seemed to be my day for trying to console people.  

“Yes of course I’m fine, I was just reflecting on my father.  I bewilders me that the first time in his life he decides to do something positive that his life would end.”  He closed his eyes and rested his head on the bark of the tree.  

“Maybe the spirits will have favor on him for turning over a new leave before his passing.”  I took his hand trying to ease his discomfort.  

“Maybe,” he sighed, “I feel a little guilty feeling grateful that he was the one to pass instead of me.  I would have missed out of seeing those two beautiful children.”  

“Don’t feel guilty your children need you, in the end Joham probably realized that.”  I wasn’t sure I was speaking truthfully, Joham was acting selfishly initially, that’s why his move to save Elvira was so random, why would he have saved someone he didn’t even know, it was completely out of character.  

“You know Elvira thought about her vision and realized that it was Joham she had seen die and not me.” Nahuel said, “And you’re heart stopped beating during the birth of our son so you did die . . . for a second.”

“So the old girl wasn’t wrong after all.”  I laughed.  

“No just misguided, it’s not her fault I look exactly like my father.”  “He wrapped his arm around me and kissed the top of my head.  

“Oh yeah that’s right, I was supposed to mad at you!”  I nudged him slightly.  

“Oh no what have I done now.”  He laughed and smoothed my hair back.  

“Why didn’t you tell me that the babies could move things?”  I rested my hand on his chest after wiggling my fingers in the air to indicate the power they possessed.  

“I wanted to tell, I was going to, but I thought we were supposed to careful about witnessing and encouraging their powers.”  Nahuel said.  

“Why is that?”  I was confused I would want my children to be able to defend themselves.  If either of them obtained the ability to phase, I would be more than happy to teach them to fight.  

“Because if they are strong the Volturi will want to possess them . . . or worse.  The reason Aro and his others left us in the clearing that day was because Carlisle and Edward were able to convince them that the babies might possess no powers at all.  That the muddied bloodlines may leave them no strength at all, they gave medical reasons as to how it could be possible.  Aro thinks that with the powers they potentially could acquire that they may be stronger than the vampires and try to overthrow the dynasty.”  Nahuel laughed, “I personally think that is foolish, why would they want to kill or extinguish something they are a part of?”  

“I agree with you.  They may want to kill the Volturi but in all honesty who doesn’t?”  I smirked, he laughed and kissed me on the forehead.  

“You’re getting closer . . .,” I laughed.  

“I know,” he smiled and leaned forward, “to this.”  He kissed causing me to become lost in him like I always did.  I used to think that my life was some farce, some side note in someone else’s big story, but not anymore.  I had Nahuel and to him I was the world.  

THE END






 

 

  ;