Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Lunar Obscurity ❯ The Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1 - The Meeting
 
Running. I could feel the exhaustion slowing my limbs. Fighting against the feeling, I pushed myself to run faster. I knew I was close to reaching my destination. I should be there within the hour. My feelings were diverse. I felt the excitement of finally meet them, but at the same time, I felt nervousness at the possibility that they refuse me. I had nowhere else to go. The closer I got to my destination, the more conflicted my emotions became.
The trees were a green blur on either side of me. The drizzle of rain that started and hour ago was increasing into a hard rain. It had soaked through my clothes and felt like sharp pieces of ice as it hit my face. My legs ached. I hadn't ever felt this feeling of weakness. I hadn't ever pushed myself as I am now. My breathing was getting harder. Even through the thick cover of trees, I felt exposed. I desperately wanted to stop and smell the area out, to see if there was anything hiding behind the overbearingly thick foliage of green, but I couldn't bear to stop for even a moment. I knew that if I stopped, it would be next to impossible to start running again. I knew that my exhaustion would consume me. So, I continued to run in the right direction without any idea of what was around me.
I could rely somewhat on my sight, though it was getting more blurry the more I ran and the harder the rain fell. I found it difficult to keep focused. My hearing I could rely on as well, for it was still sharp as ever. I could hear the birds chirping in the trees, though most of them quieted as I came closer. I could hear a large animal about a hundred yards to my left, an elk or deer from the sounds of its hooves. I was relying on my ears, hoping that what was hunting me would make enough sound to be heard over the sounds of my own breaths. But of all the sounds I was expecting to hear from an enemy, what I heard in the distance surprised me enough to halt me midstride. Not because it was something I was expecting… no. It was something that I never thought I would hear again.
A piercing howl cut across the mountains. The sound blanketed the roaming trees and spread further than any normal animal could dream. I recognized the pitch and tone instantly and it had my skin prickling up my spine. I took in a few sniffs of the air and then cursed quietly. I knew that I had made a huge mistake and it may cost my life. I ran again in the same direction as before, but now I ran with a speed that I didn't know I had. My thoughts scrambled to keep up and became a whirlwind of questions. `How is this possible? Am I wrong? There's no way I'm wrong. But this isn't possible! I have to get there now!' Another howl sounded off to my right. It was close. Too close. I wasn't going to make it in time. The question would be if it would engage before I had a chance to get to my destination.
I poured on the speed and pushed my body for all it was worth, holding back nothing. But it wasn't enough. I could hear my pursuer in the underbrush. Heavy paws pounding the ground. If it was any other time, I could have easily outrun it. But today, when I was running on my last bit of energy, I could feel it getting closer. `Damn it.' I heard the growl close to my right and a huge gray beast flew out of the forest in front of me. I skidded to a stop ten feet away from the canine. It looked like and impossibly overgrown wolf, but I knew what it was. A werewolf. Or shape shifter as some liked to call it. Whichever, the beast was as tall as I was on all fours. And it was snarling at me with its teeth bared looking very much ready to fight. `Well, I guess that answers that question.'
I weighed my options. There was no way I could win a fight against him as I was. And I was too exhausted to do anything else. I could try to reason with him, but I doubted he would believe me, no matter what I said. My only chance would be to try to get a jump start and make it to their territory before he could get his teeth into me. The fact that a werewolf was this close to the coven's territory was surprising in the least, but I didn't have time to dwell on that thought, because he looked ready to spring. He lunged at me, jaws open. I dodged quickly to the left and his teeth grazed my ear. I spun quickly on my heel to face him and saw that he was doing the same. I took note that I seemed a little more agile than him, even in my current condition. I could use that to my advantage.
We were facing off again, circling in the clearing. I was waiting for him to make the first move and I didn't have to wait long. He leapt the distance between us in the blink of an eye. And I barely had time to get out of range of his fangs. I quickly spun on him and flung my shoulder into his side. It wasn't hard enough to hurt, by any means, but it was enough to get him slightly off balance. I used his slight hesitation to grab the tuft of fur at the back of his neck, and using my strength, flung him into the trees. Without even looking back, I took off again in my hurried flight. He wasn't too far behind me, but I thought I may have gained enough distance to get into their territory before he was on me again. The pounding of paws behind me kept my speed at a blinding pace, but I was so close that I knew I was okay; at least for the next few minutes.
I heard his pace slow slightly behind me and I internally breathed a sigh of relief. `I must have passed the territory line. There was no way he will follow me now.' All thoughts of relief and celebration came to a crashing halt, however, when I heard another growl, this one's tone was much lower than the other's and it was coming from in front of me. I froze to the spot and stared. Out of the woods, coming to a stop between me and my salvation, was a different, much larger wolf. It stared at me with intelligent eyes and its lip curled back over its fangs. I stared dumbfounded. `There is absolutely no way…This can't be possible.
 
**************
Jacob Black
 
I snickered quietly as Renesmee crouched in front of me. She did a pretty accurate imitation of my own snarl as she prepared to jump at me. Her muscles tensed and I prepared myself. Suddenly, a fury of small limbs was on top of me. I attempted to throw her off, but I couldn't find something to grab. I heard laughing from the direction of the house and just as suddenly, Renesmee was off of me and across the yard. Sitting up, I watched as she threw herself into the open arms of her mother, who was still laughing lightly.
I stood up and sauntered toward the two. Bella looked up from the mound of curls attached to her and grinned at me.
“You looked like you were having trouble there, Jake.” I shook my head and chuckled.
“Yeah, she's quick and she's too small to get a good grip on,” I replied. “Before long, I am going to have to start trying.” Renesmee turned around and stuck her tongue out at me and I laughed in reply.
I froze suddenly when I heard a familiar howl cut across the mountains. Bella and Renesmee looked at me curious and I ran for the cover of the woods and quickly phased. When I returned, the rest of the Cullen's were waiting.
Paul, what is going on? I quickly asked.
I caught scent of a leech, but I didn't recognize it. I am on its trail right now. Do you recognize the scent? I want to be sure before I engage.
I quickly analyzed Paul's memory of the scent and my stomach dropped when I found that I didn't recognize it. Somewhere in the back of my mind I recognized something different about the scent, but before I could think further, I noticed Paul's position and the direction he was running and realized they were heading directly toward the house. My stomach dropped completely out of my body and I was vaguely aware of Edward explaining what was happening to the rest.
Paul, do not engage it until I get there. I am leaving now. I looked at Edward and thought, I am leaving, but it would probably be helpful to have you come to make sure this isn't someone you know.
Edward nodded and turned to his family speaking so quickly that I could only recognize a few words. Alice and Carlisle quickly stepped forward and Edward turned toward me.
“Let's go.”
I glanced one last time and Renesmee and Bella and turned quickly to run into the forest. I didn't spare any thought to my speed, I knew that the Cullen's could keep up. I was trying to pay attention to what was happening with Paul.
Paul, I am on the way with the Cullen's. What is going on?
I am still following her, but she caught my scent. She picked up her speed and is heading right toward you. But to be honest, for a leech, she isn't that fast. I'm almost on her. I could take her down, no problem.
Paul, wait until I get there.
But what if she decides to take off in a different direction? If I engage now, I can keep her in this area until you guys get here.
I hesitated. This was one thing about being alpha that I could live without. These types of decisions. Fine, you can engage her, but do not get into a fight. Try to stop her progress. That is all. Is that understood? We want to make sure that this is not a friend of the Cullen's.
Got it!
I watched through Paul's mind as he rounded on the vampire and entered her path. Again, something struck me as odd when I saw the vampire, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I watched the small scuffle and growled loudly as she evaded Paul and took off in the same direction as before.
Paul, when she crosses the old border, fall back slightly. Maybe we can catch her off guard. Edward, keep out of sight and see if you recognize her or get a gist of what she wants, I thought.
I caught scent of her and followed in the direction knowing I was close. Paul had backed off and the vampire did slow down quite a bit, but was still heading right toward me. I growled a warning and she stopped dead in her tracks, staring right at me as I came into her sight. She was standing there, her shortly cropped blonde hair blowing in the wind and rain; giving her a wild look. Her eyes were wide and staring right at me with what looked like astonishment and fear.
It took me a moment, but I finally realized what I had found odd about her. She had the distinct scent of a vampire, but it was different somehow. But that wasn't what caught my attention and made me growl in surprise. She looked exhausted. That, and the fact that I could hear a fast heartbeat coming from her.
What the hell is going on?
**************
The creature squared his shoulders and growled again loudly. I heard something approaching and glanced back to see the gray wolf slink into the clearing behind me. I was surrounded and the brown wolf was blocking my path. I clenched my teeth, fighting back tears. There was no way I could get out of this alive. There was always a chance, no matter how slim, when fighting one to find a way around him. But when there were two, there was no chance at all. Not with how they fight. Even full strength, I probably couldn't outmaneuver two of them together. `So this is the end', I thought.
The gray wolf growled behind me and my hair stood on end. I couldn't help it when a dark chuckle escaped my lips. The brown wolf in front of me cocked his head slightly and I chuckled again at the thought. In a quiet voice I whispered, “Of all the deaths I have prepared myself for, I never imagined to think of this one. “
I sensed the gray wolf take a step closer behind me. The brown wolf growled again and I was slightly surprised when the gray wolf stepped back again. I looked into the intelligent eyes in front of me resigned when suddenly something else stepped into the clearing. It completely shocked me that I didn't sense him coming at all. I should have figured though. I had all of my senses trained on the two wolves; I didn't think to go any further around me. I noticed his hard, granite skin, how he moved like a ghost. I knew exactly what he was and a slight hope edged at the back of my mind. I refused to allow it to grow any further, but I frantically tried to find a way to work this to my advantage. I looked into his eyes and was startled to find that they were golden, not red, like I was expecting. Confusion spread through my already overloaded mind.
I vaguely registered the fact that the wolf and the vampire seemed to be standing a little closer than I would have thought they would be. But I pushed that thought aside to focus on my situation. The vampire was looking at me with almost a penetrating gaze. A thought crossed my mind. What if this one was from the coven I was looking for? Maybe I could get him to help me out of this unfortunate situation. Might as well try… it's not like it can get any worse.
“Are you a Cullen?” I asked.
His eyebrow knitted on his forehead and he replied, “Yes. My name is Edward. And you are?”
The breath that I didn't even know I was holding rushed out in a sigh of relief. “Please, please help me. I have been looking for your family for the last month. I need your help.”
I was shocked when he exchanged a quick glance with the brown wolf at his side and then stepped forward. The gray wolf behind me moved another step back, and stayed in the way of my best escape route if this exchange went poorly. I started to get a little nervous when the brown wolf whined slightly in what seemed to be the vampire's direction. Edward was still looking right at me with a look that made me feel like I was suddenly very exposed.
In a quiet voice, he said, “It's okay. She's not here to hurt us.” My nervousness grew when the brown wolf whined again and looked at me. “I'm not sure yet.” Edward said.
`Who is he talking to?' I wondered.
“What do you need help with? Why were you looking for us?” Edward asked me. My mind ran over all of the reasons I had been running and I decided to focus on my current problem. Before I was able to explain anything, Edward suddenly gasped.
“The Volturi?!”
With those two words, multiple things happened at once. I stepped back a step and gasped in surprise. The brown wolf beside Edward suddenly bristled its fur and growled menacingly. The gray wolf behind me took a step close and growled, showing its fangs. And two more vampires, a male and a female, came out of the woods and crouched beside Edward faster than lightening. I stared at Edward with a look of horror on my face. My situation just got much worse.
Edward looked slightly surprised at the reaction around him and shook his head quickly. “No, No. She's not from the Volturi. She's not here to hurt us.” The two vampires in front of me straitened up out of the crouch and the two wolves seemed to ease up slightly. At least they stopped growling. The brown wolf again looked to Edward with a questioning look and Edward said “Let's get back to the house and we can discuss this further.”
I glanced back and forth between the wolf and the vampire. Were they together? That's not possible, was it? Well, it was, but very improbable. I hadn't ever heard of another case. Edward looked at me and motioned toward the two vampires at his side. “This is Carlisle and Alice. We are all from the coven you seek. And this is Jacob and Paul. They are friends of our family,” he said motioning to the wolves in turn. “Why don't we go to the house and we will talk about the current situation.”
Looking again between Edward and Jacob, as I now knew him, I made my decision. I nodded my head in agreement. Not because I trusted them, no. My trust in the Cullen's had no real depth to it in the beginning, because I didn't know them. But now that I knew they trusted werewolves, my fragile trust was breaking. No, I didn't go because I had trust in them. It was because I had no other choice. I couldn't outrun them, I couldn't fight them, and even if I did get away, there was something worse waiting for me. There was no way that I could get out of this. I had to follow them.